Gene Editing and UK law

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Old Man Whirly!
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2022/aug/26/uk-fertility-watchdog-hfea-law-new-treatments-genome-editing-lab-grown-eggs?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

You can bet Russia are building babies free of faults and screening for the smartest. That is why we will lose..

Old Man Whirly!
Wrong forum, sorry, please erase or move to the GDF.

Galan007
Moving...

Old Man Whirly!
Thank you Galan!

Robtard

Blakemore

Robtard
Originally posted by Blakemore
Effectively eliminating gender.

Wait a minute, by that amount of research, I could make and fertilise my own eggs.

Hitler was right after all!

I don't think that effectively eliminates gender. If just means that two men or two women can have children that have both of their genetics.

Maybe you don't recall, but when same-sex marriage was a hot topic in the US, one of the key anti sentiments from the Right was "well the gays can't have kids and kids is the purpose of marriage!"

StyleTime
This will definitely become a massive issue as we move forward, and I feel like we might hit another anti-science wave sadly.

There are people that will oppose this field of research simply because they believe it to be immoral. I've no problem if they personally feel that way, but they'll likely try to implement legislation to stop it too. It'll be like the anti-stem cell crowd, except probably even larger.

I do agree we need to meet the highest possible standards before using it on people though, so I'm not really mad that scientist in the article got jailed. Way too early for that from what I understand.

jaden_2.0
Unsurprising the no.1 Gattaca fan picked up on this story.

Smurph
Originally posted by StyleTime
This will definitely become a massive issue as we move forward, and I feel like we might hit another anti-science wave sadly.

There are people that will oppose this field of research simply because they believe it to be immoral. I've no problem if they personally feel that way, but they'll likely try to implement legislation to stop it too. It'll be like the anti-stem cell crowd, except probably even larger.

I do agree we need to meet the highest possible standards before using it on people though, so I'm not really mad that scientist in the article got jailed. Way too early for that from what I understand. While a legislative ban seems unjustified, I think you would want watchdogs calling for careful regulation of gene editing. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the uses described in the article, but legislation should try to contemplate other ways that gene editing might be used. To my mind, the ethical issues seem more complex than with stem cell research.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by jaden_2.0
Unsurprising the no.1 Gattaca fan picked up on this story. laughing out loud Funny because it's true.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Robtard
I don't think that effectively eliminates gender. If just means that two men or two women can have children that have both of their genetics.

I'm guessing they will still need a donor egg or donor sperm.

StyleTime
Originally posted by Smurph
While a legislative ban seems unjustified, I think you would want watchdogs calling for careful regulation of gene editing. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the uses described in the article, but legislation should try to contemplate other ways that gene editing might be used. To my mind, the ethical issues seem more complex than with stem cell research.
I agree 100%.

I also think there's broader systemic issues that could complicate this. Without addressing economic inequality, we might wind up in a situation where wealthy children are genetically modified to have all the best traits while poor kids are left even more disadvantaged than they currently are.

Lot of stuff we need to be conscious of as this develops.

Smurph
Yeah, exactly. Not hard to imagine how the ability to cure hereditary disease could just end up relegating diseases to the poor.

Robtard
Originally posted by jaden_2.0
Unsurprising the no.1 Gattaca fan picked up on this story.
Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
laughing out loud Funny because it's true.

I'm at a loss here?

Robtard
Originally posted by Darth Thor
I'm guessing they will still need a donor egg or donor sperm.

For sure, but both same-sex parents will still be genetically part of their child with this tech.

Smurph
Because Gattaca is about eugenics via gene editing?

Robtard
No, I get the film reference, I just don't get the "#1 fan" comment

jaden_2.0
Originally posted by Robtard
No, I get the film reference, I just don't get the "#1 fan" comment

GATTACA

I want real films made again. Like the Godfather, Shawshank even things like GATTACA.

jaden_2.0
Originally posted by Putinbot1
Shawshank
Godfather trilogy
Get Carter (the original)
Stripes
Batchelor Party
GATTACA
Jaws
Death wish
Highlander
Die Hard
Enter the Dragon
Marathon Man
Omen 1 and 2
Boys from Brazil
Saving Private Ryan
The Dear Hunter
Deliverance

Loads more

Robtard
@jaden_2.0

Ah. thanks.

Gattaca's a good movie. was filmed not far from where I am right now actually. At least the head quarters/main laboratory scenes. The Marin County Civic Center, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright.

jaden_2.0

Robtard
I'm going to egg him on

Old Man Whirly!

Stoic

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.