Queen Amidala of the Naboo

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

RedWill
Howzit from South Africa,

I have seen all 4 films many times and love them. I have basically read the whole starwars.com database and the posts on this site.

Queen Amidala is the mother of Luke and Leia. In episodes 4 and 5 she is not mentioned at all. In episode 6 she is mentioned but in hardly any detail.

I mean do Luke and Leia know that apart from their father, they have a queen for a mother? From the planet of Naboo?

Naboo and the fact that their mother was a queen were not mentioned at all. This is a heritage of theres for the movies do not mention. I find this irritating.

Queen Amidala is a main character in episode 1,2 and 4 yet her title and background are not mentioned at all in the last 3 episodes.

Please respond to my message, cheers.

Ushgarak
That is absolutely deliberate. Luke and Leia have no idea of their heritage.

The nature of Luke's mother is one of those off-topic areas that GL defined years ago that merchandisers could not even speculate about.

There is some rumour that Amidala is going to be beleived ling dead before the end of Episode III and she will be in Padme persona for much of it. Certainly it looks like there is a different Queen.

ratcat

JediOasis
Yeah, Obi-Wan did say that. I wonder if sometime in EP III Palpatine will ask Anakin(after the transformation) if Padme had become inpregnated and Anakin will(knowingly?) say no. That would be a pretty cool scene to witness.

ratcat
Very true. The Emperor new of Luke by ROTJ, Vader obviously knew in ESB. When exactly do you think they found out about the children..

Ushgarak
Actually, The Emperor clearly knew of Luke by ESB as well.

I suppose we can be pretty sure that Vader knew his wife was pregnant but not that she had twins.

I think Vader simply found out about Luke when he heard the Skywalker name being banded about as a hero by the rebels.

Dim
It does seem sadly ironic that Padme should achive all these things (and at such a young age) yet her own children never know who and what she was.

Sparky12
i'm sure that vader will have known that his child(ren) were alive somewhere in the galaxy, but that pursuing them would not only be an exercise in futility, but distractive to the emperor's ultimate goals; so he did not allow him to do so. however, i also believe that the children will be made to appear killed in some sort of battle or something, to make it easier to hide them
but i think i'm gonna cry when padme dies. not to sound sappy, but dim and ratcat got me thinking of that climactic scene.

DJ Velocity
I think we'll all bubble when Padme dies. I still cry like a sissy girl when Ben gets slaughtered in ANH. sad

Ushgarak
At least that is what he wanted. Amidala will be VERY tragic...

I get a bit lumpy when Qui-Gon goes down.

Dim
I didn't get all misty eyed when Qui-Gon died..but I'm sure I'll cry for Padme..I just can't imagine how GL is going to do it.. Leia has to be old enough to remember her when she dies. Are we absolutely certain that we will see her death?..or do you think it might end with Padme's saying goodbye to Luke instead?..

JediOasis
No way, we have to see her die. Lucas couldn't leave us hanging like that, he will have to tie up most loose ends, especially that one. Leia says she doesn't really remember her mother, just "images" "feelings", and those she probably feels through the Force, even though she doesn't know she has it.

Ushgarak
I reckon less will be tied up than some people may like.

JediOasis
Yeah, but if she lives, some bonehead author may write her into the EU.

Ushgarak
Always a possibility...

I always understood, by the way, that Luke's Mother was one of the 'off-limits' zones that GL created after ROTJ to reduce the chance of later conflict. Howeverm, readig through a summary of EU books, I see there is one in which Luke visits his mother's homeworld.

Is this actually true? If so, that's another nail into the EU...

JediOasis
They always leave the door open that its not really her home world, so I guess with EP I, we find out its not true.

Ushgarak
Cheers. Right-oh. They still would have done better to stay away from that, though.

Dim
I think it might be a nice cliff hanger for future audiences if Padme doesn't die in EP3. Think about it...you see her take off with Leia and wonder what ever happens to them..and then, all the way in EP6, you find out her fate.

ratcat
OH, she has to die. Otherwise there will always be that feeling that she may be alive somewhere and then some brightspark in the EU will bring her back as a 80 year old heroine...

Ushgarak
Problem is we DON'T quite find out what happened to her in VI, do we? I think there could be riots if we don't find out in some way.

Darth Pants
I don't think she'll be murdered, otherwise whoever did it would know of Leia's existence. Vader treated her as though she was just rebel scum in ANH, not as the mysterious child of his late wife. Or is it possible that the mother Leia spoke of was a foster mother, and not Padme at all?

Ushgarak
I still say broken heart.

Darth Pants
I'd say the same. Although the fact that she raises Leia with Bail Organa (who she is rumoured to have a thing for) would suggest that she found new love. I'd go with your idea that the rest of her tragically short life is lived in sadness. So much dark stuff will have to happen to explain the origins in ANH, I don't know why everyone thinks that Ep2 will be the dark episode, it can't end on as much of a downer as Ep3.

Ushgarak
Yes, fair point. I wonder how nasty he can make III and still keep it Star Wars...

JediOasis
I think that Palpatine will have Padme killed, as she could one day turn Anakin back to the good side. I could be wrong but didn't Lucas say EP III would be the darkest cause everyone dies? Well, the Jedi are killed, but who else of importance? Anakin, Obi-Wan, Yoda, Bail Organa, the kids all make it to the OT. So that would leave Padme, as much as it sucks, she has to die.

Ushgarak
There's a good possibility we don't see the Jedi die either; their subsequent purge being merely assumed.

Yes, I can see Palpatine's motivation in killing Padme, but then it would be tricky for him to find her, kill her and not realise she had a daughter. If that IS Padme that Leia remembers, of course.

DarthDoopey
Well they may not have been killed by the empire but by ROTJ there aren't any of them left except for yoda who dies soon afterwards and luke.

Ushgarak
We're pretty certain the Empire is responsible for their death; a mammoth task even for that organisation.

Darth Pants
So how does everyone think they die? I'm thinking that the temple will be destroyed, taking most of the council, the archives and a good few other Jedi with it. If the temple is shown to be a very functional base of operations in Ep2, showing its destruction in Ep3 would imply the death of the order. I can't see them being destroyed by mere droids or clones, although I must admit I was surprised to find out that a simple human (albeit with a lot of weapons) may be doing most of the Jedi fighting in Ep2.

Jameous Woodshire
From what I've seen, only a few jedi council members will survive EP2. Then of course after EP3 there will be only 2 (3 sortof) left.

As for the purge, Jango looks to do some of the killing, but we know who is supposed to take him out. (Thus making his 'son' mad at jedi forever) I've also seen a call sheet that had a few Jedi dying in a trap.

I'm not sure about that last part, but I'd say I'm 90% sure about who survives EP2.

But we will always have to see.

Darth Pants
Then again, Sam Jackson apparently said that Jedi don't start dying until the Clone Wars, which are rumoured to start after Ep2. I've only heard of one Jedi dying so far, and that was the nobody who got shot by a destroyer in the arena battle, but you may be right that a few of them die then.There's also the whole Anakin-carrying-Ada-Gallia's-lightsabre-in-some-shots-thing, why would she have lost it? By the end of Ep2,we'll probably have the general idea that Jedi can fight loads of droids because they're stupid, but clones are a different matter. I still think the temple will be destroyed though. By the way, what call sheet is that? Only thought there was one doing the circuit, the Ki Adi Mundi invading droid control ship one.

Ushgarak
That 'only a few Council Members survive Ep. II' thing worris the heck out of me, the way it has been presented... what sort of idiots woukld send their entire ruling body on a mission?

A Temple blow-out does expalin how the Jedi could be beheaded, but agin would be a disappointing cock-up by the Jedi not to have seen it coking.

Jameous Woodshire
I believe that was the same one that I saw. It seems to be a trap that they can take a small amount of jedi out.

As for all the jedi dying, I meant that it looks like about half of the council members survive. That may be a reason for Palpy to declare them outlaws in EP3. He might set them up for something to take a fall for and make them look bad in the public eye.

And if Obi in ANH can be believed, Vader (who will be in armor in EP3) will do alot of the purge.

All I can say is I hope Hayden can act, alot of the next two films will fall on his shoulders.

Also Aurra Sing is going to be back in EP2 for more screen time. She (Michionne) told me at a convention a few months ago that she hates the jedi and collects the lightsabers from the ones she kills. That may also be a clue. But she also said she had just 4 days shooting compaired to the half day shoot from EP1.

Darth Pants
Interesting stuff.You're right about Hayden's responsibility, that dark backstory that permeated the original trilogy, about the terrible events which caused the destuction of the Jedi, needs to be told by him. Millions of people from different generations are relying on him to bring it to life, in about 4 hours 20 minutes.

Ushgarak
Yes... can't help thniking that he really SHOULD have started the main story in Episode I, not II...

Vader must be on a GOOD run to kill all those bloody Jedi...

Darth Pants
Yeah, hope it's not a rush job, like Anakin needing to go and get a wet tea towel to put out a chip pan fire in the temple, but he was seduced away by the dark side for five minutes, and the place burnt down. He then helped Tusken raiders, who were on holiday on Coruscant, to pick off the remaining Jedi trying to get out of the back door. Slight exaggeration, but I bet the plot will not be as vast and complex as we all hope it will be.

Ushgarak
Maybe there's a 'Jedi- off' swtich in the Temple...

Actually, killing all the Jedi is SO unlikely that I am almost certain we won't see how they die in the films.

Jameous Woodshire
Of course not. There are thousands of Jedi. But GL will have to make it obvious that they have no chance, and to do that he will probbaly make the jedi disband so there is no orginisation agenst Palpy and Vader.

Jedi-Off! is that like a pesticide? 'Raid jedi strength!' wink

Ushgarak
I didn't mean literally see them die, of course. I mean that we won't even see the direct reason. Besides, the Jedi are more than just buildings and leaders. No 'disbandment' would reduce their threat.

DarthDoopey
I was thinking that towards the end of EPIII palpy would send a star destroyer or something to just basically blow up the jedi temple which would leave only a few dozen left that were out on a mission of some sort.

Ushgarak
Yes, again, that would work, but it would be a very disappointing way for the Jedi to go, what with their future/danger sense and unlimited capacity for heroics.

Some sort of direct personal intervention by Palpatine, who they CANNOT sense because of the Dark Side problem, is more feasible. Quite how even he could knacker the Jedi at a stroke is unclear, though.

Dim
I don't know how feasible it would be to just take out all the jedi at the temple..I'm sure it wouldn't be that defenseless.

Ushgarak
Exactly. The whole thing seems very difficult

DarthDoopey
Well they cant hunt all the jedi down one by one because think how long it would take, and it would make the film also very long.The only way i can think of is a mass killing of them in some sort of trap.

JediOasis
Well, we know that a lot are killed in the Clone Wars, but that eventually the Jedi win the war. They could win and only have few hundred Jedi remaining. Then with only a few hundred it becomes much easier than thousands and I'm sure destroying the Temple would take out a lot of them.

Ushgarak
The (non-canonical) time-lines make out that the 'Jedi Purge' occurs after Episode III. If they keep to that than we can expect to see the Jedui fatally weakened by the end of III but not destroyed.

However, I still think it would have more resonance if Obi-Wan and Yoda escape the end of the Jedi, and this is all seen on screen. The trick, then, would be to take out the Jedi in a reasonable way.

Darth Pants
It's possible that Imperial propaganda will have a lot to do with their downfall. Buy turning the population, who the Jedi were sworn to protect, aainst the order, Palpatine could really stir up some trouble. Quite how an angry mob would fight them though, I don't know. Just bouncing ideas off you all.

Ushgarak
Well, it seems increasingly likely that Vader hunted them down individually... hard work

JediOasis
I think the propaganda thing could work. It doesn't matter how powerful the Jedi are, if the majority of the galaxy turns against them, for lack of a better word, their screwed.

DJ Velocity
I wonder if Vader was Vader before he got his armour. That would be interesting to see, Vader in a Maul-style suit. Can anyone see Vader taking on the Jedi in that cumbersome suit? He had a hard enough time with Luke.

DarthDoopey
Well its not really imaginable vadar in a maul suit because we are all so used to seeing that armour!!!well he must have been vadar before the suit he just got so badly injured he needs that suit to stay alive..

Darth Pants
Funny you should mention Vader in a Maul style suit. For some reason, when you see the bit where the hangar door opens and Darth Maul's stood there in trailer A, I'd assumed it was a vision of Darth Vader. Don't ask me why. It would be cool to see a more energetic, yet still powerful Vader in traditional Sith gear.

DJ Velocity
I think it would look good but I don't think there will be enough time. Ep2 he is Anakin the jedi, Ep3 he could be Vader in a normal Sith Garb. At the end of Ep3 you could see and/or hear Vader in his "usual outfit". I don't know maybe Lucas could pull it off.

Isn't James Earl Jones supposed to be recording about 5 mins of patter for EP3? this could be for that ending where Vader is in suit.

Dim
I'd heard that about Jones..but nobody's confirmed it yet.

Ushgarak
JEJ isn't getting any younger...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.