fave composers [merged]

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Seraph
do you have a favourite filmmusiccomposer?
i love howard shore. he is supreme!!!!!

Seraph
does someone know who did the score for pirates of the caribbean??

wicker_man
John Williams - Is my favourite movie score composer.

ChinaNiki
henry mancini...i think that's his name

diegocala
Rob Zombie

Sparrows Angel
It is Klaus Badelt
I have the soundtrack He He!

Geldorn
Howard Shore is indeed a very good composer but let's not forget Danny Elfman. He has made some of the best, most original scores ever (Batman, Edward Scissorhands, Spiderman, Nightmare B4 Xmas).

buffymitch
Hans Zimmer
Danny elfman
Trevor Rabin
James horner
now i don''t know if you can see him as as moviemusic composer professionally but Marilyn Manson's score for Resident evil was amazing.

fini
ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL hail JOHN WILLIAMS................he's made the sounds of generations

SaTsuJiN
John Williams and Craig Armstrong (CA did that song 'escape')

ragesRemorse
john williams bt far, he's brought us the most memorable sounds in movie history

Puppet Of Doom
Most movies have a composer who writes the score and theme and stuff, and well...there's lots of them. So who do you think is the best?

Mine favourite is Danny Elfman (yippee) and maybe Mark Shaiman too.

ragesRemorse
traditionally? Beethoven without a doubt. talking movies. well again without a doubt John Williams. I'd say elfman is a damn close second though

BackFire
Clint Mansel - Composer of the music in Requiem for a Dream

fini
uh since this is the movie section.............i would definelty say the master of them all. John WIlliams..........over 50 nomintaions and at least 6 oscars cant be wrong.........and doing the Olympic theme TOO.

John RULES

fanatos
There are many of good composers, here is my list. smile
The best are the upper listed, in my opinion:

John Williams
Hans Zimmer
Danny Elfman
James Newton Howard
Klaus Badelt
James Horner
Philip Glass
Marco Beltrami
Burkhard Dallwitz
Harry Gregson-Williams
Nick Glennie-Smith

billyboyd4ever
HOWARD SHORE AND DANNY ELFMAN!!! NO COMPARISON!!

Dirty Vader
John Williams, without a doubt. The guy that plays for Lord of the Rings
is good too.

aniron
HOWARD SHORE WITHOUT A DOUBT, HIS MUSIC IS SO SO SO SO GREAT.

enya
i agree howard shore rulz he captures every emotion and he really fits da music with picture and themes

the addition composers on lotrs are also good

ivyem
Hans Zimmer, I think he's a composer, Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack was great!!!

LindsIsTightK
James Horner for the Titanic movies and whoever else did the music for the Matrix movies and the Harry Potter movies.

SilverFighter
Ennio Morricone...yup I just love Spaghetti Westerns!

Lady Ellie
HOWARD SHORE!!!!! And the guy who did the music for Pirates of the caribbean. Great soundtrack! : pirate

Bad Boy
Hans Zimmer didn't do Pirates of the Caribbean.

Mark Mancina
Hans Zimmer
Harry Gregson Williams
Trevor Rabin

buffymitch
Mine are Hans Zimmer and Trevor Rabin. Danny alfam is also good

HannaBananabal
I agree with most of you about John Williams: he's the FIRST person I thought of, and the reason I clicked on this thread! He's awesome!

felixthecat23
Silverfighter? i had no idea anyone else knew who morricone was! that is awesome! have you heard the lolita soundtrack? it's good

for me:
-Ennio Morricone
-Thomas Newman
-Michael Nyman
-Clint Mansel
-Hans Zimmer
-Danny Elfman
-James Horner
-Cliff Martinez
Happy Dance bunny

SilverFighter
>felixthecat23.

I just love Morricone music!! Lolita soundtrack is very captivating and relaxing to listen. There is a couple of Morricone's soundtracks that I also really like: The Untochables and Once upon a time in America. First time I heard those I was WOW that's some awesome music! I couldn't believe it was Morricone but I guess he is that talented! He truly is one of the best composers in movies.

felixthecat23
>silverfighter
I agree! the first time i heard him i was in a cinema class watching cinema paradiso, which i love, but when i watched "lolita" my friend had brought it over and i was like "oh my goodness". it's not a great movie. it needs better actors in the sense of melani griffen. she over acted a lot. but when i hear the music for any film that Morricone does the soundtrack you feel that moment. you can also hear it in "Mission to Mars"

oh yeah to add one more: huh
-Alan Silvestri

drunk_nazgul
Howard Shore, definitely! TTT Soundtrack rocked so hard it made me cry three or four times.

The violin, trumpets, flute, drums... they all fit together so perfectly!

I love Howard... Danny Elfman is okay...

MadKowDZs
John Williams does some good work.

SaTsuJiN
John williams hands down. I also like the matrix movie scores, very awesome indeed. Don Davis I believe his name is (when combined with Juno Reactor they're unstoppable)

felixthecat23
not to shoot you guys down, blink
but i cannot share the same enthusiasm for John Willams. most of his composing sounds the similar. you can normally spot his work just by listening ..... kinda like danny elfman. i do agree that some of their work is good when they break their own mold or structure of music. When John Williams did "A.I." or "Catch me if you can" i really had to look at the credits.
it seems he normally goes for the big payoff in endings. it reminds me of classical music you can tell when the ending is coming. blink

Complicated
It's called phrasing, and music is supposed to do that. If the music doesn't go anywhere, well, it doesn't go anywhere.

That being said, I completely agree with you about Williams' music. Much of it sounds really similar, and after a few decades and dozens of movies, "similar" really becomes "derivative" or "repetitive." I did, however, enjoy Seven Years in Tibet and a good deal of his new stuff in the Star Wars PT films.

I first read this thread late Monday night, when it had half the replies, and I was disappointed that no one had mentioned James Horner. I'm glad that they now have. smile While his music is also rather trademark, it has a complexity and sophistication I really like.

Howard Shore's music in LOTR is decent. Parts, such as the theme from the Shire, actually sound as though someone took a James Horner score and taceted half the orchestra's parts, doubling the remainders. While the orchestral parts truly were unimpressive, though, the choirs and solo vocalists were fantastic! Isabel Bayrakdarian's parts were absolutely phenomenal, and Elizabeth Fraser's parts were, erm, written extremely well. :shrug:

Danny Elfman, for me, absolutely destroyed an already poor movie in Chicago, and that brought my opinion of him down from the "poor" it was at to "horrible."

There are really two aspects to composition - equally important - even though the general public can only appreciate one. There's the emotional, beautiful aspect that everyone can recognize - responsible for the success of LOTR's music and, dare I say it, Kenny G's. This is simple, comparatively and though it often runs afoul of its partner, does not necessarily exclude it. The other, much, much move difficult aspect to work on is technical. Alternate meters and rhythms, complex harmonies, reharmonizations, and chordal progressions, difficult technical passages of speed and range, and conceptually difficult "long-form" works are enough to test the abilities of the most skilled composers. When, in film scoring, you combine those challenges with very specific time constraints and sovereign visions of directors and producers, and then the last-minute changes of post-production, it really becomes the ultimate challenge. It's something that I feel James Horner does extremely well. smile

movie_freak
John Williams
Harry Gregson Williams
The ones who did the Matrix Trilogy

Complicated
Harry Gregson Williams, Nick Glennie Smith, and Hans Zimmer together for The Rock did some rather nice things.

Morfiwen
who did the score of a beautiful mind? i absolutely love it, and it's really distinctive too. makes me want to do math or something! :-P

bLooMiLiCioUs
john williams,totally - he did like,harry potter,start wars,jaws,cath me if u can - look at the variety!!but i LOVE howard shore with LOTR too big grin

Complicated
James Horner.

felixthecat23
Originally posted by Morfiwen
" who did the score of a beautiful mind? i absolutely love it"

James Horner!

Also >Complicated

have you taken any music classes or post-production editing? it sounds like you know what your talking about! a friend of mine and i went to USC film school and i'm still learning some new things. you hav a great wealth of knowledge! you said it way better than i did!
ROCK ON! roll eyes (sarcastic)

Complicated
Haha. Thanks. smile

Yeah, I'm a musician. I've been playing piano for 15 years, saxophone for 12 (my principle instrument), clarinet and flute for 7, oboe for 4... At any given point in high school I was practicing privately for 4+ hours a day, taking 2 1/2 hours of private lessons a week, and rehearsing with 5-6 different ensembles. I've never taken any editing classes, but I have taken a couple jazz composition ones, and written three big band (jazz band) pieces. Then, of course, I've been working on jazz and general music theory for over a decade, so I can appreciate more than a layman.

felixthecat23
oh my God! that is soo awesome! eek!
what are you doing here? not to be rude.
i just signed up for the message board this month and from what i can tell is most of everyone's opinion is what the mass media feeds them or what is ever mainstream. only a handful are open minded or even educated when it comes to movies or music. what an accomplishment! you must be so proud of yourself?! stick out tongue

Hegemon875
I've noticed that Danny Elfman composes ALOT of major movie's and even TV series' like the Simpsons.

Complicated
Thanks. smile Yeah, I am proud of myself, I suppose. It's just something that I've always loved doing, and I was lucky enough to have talent as well.

I'm on here because, well, even I can't live music 24/7. There are other things to me - other things I like talking about. smile

cgtuna21
James Horner is just too good. With A Beautiful Mind theme, Enemy at the Gates, and Glory. He's the best.

whiteknight
Top 5 would have to be, and in no order:

Hans Zimmer
John Williams
Howard Shore
Alan Silvestri
James Horner

Although lately James Honer's creative brain must be low on juice, because he only seem capable of either copying himself or others. Example Bicentenial Man and The Missing took their main themes from Braveheart and Troy was just a complete disaster from the outset.

Best score of late is of course the Lord Of The Rings Trilogy. Can't wait until the 9 disc package comes out. It should be done for every film with a good score.

"Do as I say! Swoards are no more use here"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.