Covering the evidence...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ushgarak
As I have mentioned a few times before, it seems that by Ep. II the Jedi have still not dicovered the name 'Sidious' or that this being is the Master of the Sith duo. This is despite the fact that the Viceroys know this formation- heck, a whole ship full of people saw Sidious talk to them in hologram form, who also survive.

On the assumption that the Jedi would have to be EXTREMELY stupid not to have recovered this info (I would have tried every trick in the book to find out about the Sith!), do we assume that Palpatine and co launched an enormous cover-up operation after the battle of Naboo? Other pieces of evidence like Maul's ship and equipment would also have to be dealt with... could this easily be done without anyone being suspicious? The death of the Viceroys would be particularly hard to do...

ratcat
I doubt that, logic would state that the ship was on Naboo, not Tatooine.

queeq
Yes I agree. And I also doubt he landed on a remote place and took his speeder to get to Theed. So it must be there somewhere.

Ushgarak
Assumingn that the excerpt from the scripment is right, if they had got the name 'Sidious' they would have known exactly who they were dealing with when the name 'Sido-dyas' came along. Not an imedaite solution, but it is all useful ifno!

That he was the Master was pretty important as well.

Maul's ship is certainly on Naboo! I imagine a fair few people may have seen it land.

toochilled
Firstly, the name is irrelevant - Sidious / Sido-Dyas / John Smith - he can be called anything - untilll they realise it is Palps they've got nowhere.

The ship - tis now EU teritory!
- I would imagine it was taken by some unscrupulous scrap dealer wink - perhaps we will see bits of it in WATTO'S, - maybe smile

queeq
When there are two Sith and one dies, the one left alive is automatically the Master. That last line by Mace was a bit daft therefore.

Obviously the Jedi did not investigate the Dark Overseer very well. BTW, there was no clue the Sith were involved with the Neimodians to outsiders. No reason why the Jedi would look there.

Ushgarak
Maul was seen openly associatingg with the Neimodians; and evem if he wasn't, his presence at the final battle was a bit conincidental, wasn't it?

finti
If it was the master who was killed means they got rid of the most experienced one, if it was the apprentice who got killed means it takes time to train a new one.(actually a case for both scenarios here) Guess they fear a sith master more than his apprentice.

Jameous Woodshire
I think that was what Mace meant with his question. The master would leave a weaker Aprentace, thus making it a bit easer for the Jedi. If it's the other way around then they would still have the tougher Master to deal with.

As for Mauls ship or speeder in Watto's shop I wouldnt put it past the prop department. They could explain it by saying that Tattoine and Naboo are close together as shown in TPM.

Ushgarak
Close together they may be, but why on Earth would Maul's ship be moved to Tatooine? Besides which I think the most likely scenario is that Sidious got to it first and removed all evidence.

Still, the fact remains that the Jedi could have casually found out that Maul was the apprentice but they do not seem to have done so.

Jameous Woodshire
Like I said, Dont put it past the prop dept.

IG88 in Bespin's trash comes to mind along with the small ship from 2001 in Watto's junk pile. Among other easter eggs all over the 4 films.

Just because it dosnt make sence in the SW universe dosnt mean it wont be used. Remember real people work on these things and they have a sence of humor thats used quite often.

Ushgarak
Sorry, didn't think you meant it in THAT sense.

Darth Pants
I bet the junk dealer who got their hands on Infiltrator bits got rich quick, cloaking devices wouldn't come two to a credit. Am i right in thinking that the canonical currency on Tatooine is Wupiui or whatever that scary shop owner said? Or could that be the equivalent of pence or cents?

Dim
Oh I'm sure it's the base currency..but as for how much it would be worth..who knows laughing out loud

Darth Pants
Probably more than seven, unless those were some tasty frogs...

Sparky12
i haven't read all the other replies so if i restate something, forgive me. it seems to me that given the highly ilegal nature of the viceroys' and sidious' dealings, precious few, if anyone other than them, would have ever heard a reference to sidious by name. and also, most anyone who may have known his name was disintegrated in the explosion set by anakin. but i think, on an extremely earthly premise, that if the jedi were to go over the business transactions of the viceroys, they would come across payments received that may be traceable to palpatine. what do you guys think?

Ushgarak
The ship that was destroyed at the end was NOT the ship everyone was on at the start when the one of the Viceroys said, clearly and distinctly, 'We must contact Lord Sidious', the same man who later said he was sending Darth Maul, his apprentice.

Meanwhile, as you say, accumulated evidence would be large.

Jameous Woodshire
Yes, that and the fact that the Viceroys were on Naboo in the throne room when it blew up.

The actor that played Nute Gunray (Silas Carson) will be in EP2. That means that he did not blow up on any ship.

queeq
Of course not. He was on the planet. All the Neimodian ships had gone except for the droid control ship.

Just one note, Ush, when exactly were the Neimodians seen openly with Maul? Either I forgot or you are wrong here....

Sparky12
once more, good point ushgarak. i wonder if when the viceroys were take into custody, palpatine may have had them killed in their respective holding place. this would certainly lessen his chances of being linked to sidious, and moreover, sidious' specific existence.

queeq
Wasn't there some mention of TPM Neimodians appearing in Episode 2 again? If so, that levaes out that theory, Jeff.

Dim
Is it absolutely the same two Nemrodians? I wasn't sure on that.

Ushgarak
Well, I would be surprised if Maul made it to the Throne Room to talk to the Viceroys and ponced around all over the palace without anyone seeing him. He wasn't trying to stay hidden, after all.

And meanwhile loads of people saw them talk to Sidious...

Dim
Well that's true..but those people are probably all loyal to them.. it's still not like it was public knowledge.

Ushgarak
Well, of course, but with all those witnesses- including the Viceroys themselves-it is amazing that the Jedi did not uncover the name and the status as Master. Important information!

Darth Pants
Assuming the Neimoidians were tried in court after TPM, I think they would have blabbed the truth. I mean, they're not the strongest willed creatures are they? I'd have thought they would have been killed by Sidious before they talked. Apparently it is Nute Gunreay in Ep2, and he meets a fiery end at the hands of a certain bounty hunter (or so many believe).

tantiv
palpas goes to Naboo at the end of E.I . now if the infiltraitor does have a clocking sheild the he would know how to find it and possibly destroy it.
with regard to the nemoidians he has the ability to control the weak, i think he promised them a deal if they got caught your on your own but i will help you at a later date confused null

queeq
If the Neimodians were indeed brought to trial then they would have been accused and tried by the Republic. And we all know who's in charge there: Palpy. He sure would prevent any info about Sidious or a Sith controlling them to leak. Remember that line from JFK: "Ask yourself who has the power to organise such an operation, who has the power to execute it and who has the power to cover it up?"

Dim
So..everything really does begin and end with Palpatine.

queeq
I think so.

DJ Velocity
I just thought i'd add a few things.

Someone mentioned earlier that the Sith Infiltrator has a cloaking device. It can't have because in the OT when Han attatches the falcon to the star destroyer, one of the imps says "a ship that small can't have a cloaking device".

Also, the neimodiens are cowards. One of them openly defied Sidious as they were obviously more afraid of the Jedi. I think they would shop Sidious at the first opportunity to the Jedi. Thats why I think Palpy would have to put a cap in all the Neimodians they have jailed.

Both are unimportant but I just thought i would have my 2 pence worth!!!

kdawg
There is a cloaking device on the Sith Infiltrator if you read into all the books prior to TPM you will understand.

Ushgarak
That's EU info, Lance, but even so I don't see why it shouldn't have a cloaking facility. It is a fairly unique peice of tech, after all, and that Imperial comment need not apply to it. As far as we know, the Empire does not know how to build sabres either, but THEY still exist.

Jameous Woodshire
Ok, I dont understand. You wont believe that there will be new colors of sabers because it's EU, but you'll believe that the SI has a cloaking device and the only evidance is from the EU.

Excuse me while I act like Keo for a sec. confused sad confused roll eyes (sarcastic)

Ushgarak
Please don't mis-represent me. I merely meant it wasn't impossible because of the line from ESB.

queeq
Depends in Needa's technological skills I guess.

Darth Pants
The Sith undoubtedly have unusually advanced technology, remember that Palpatine's funding of the Sith could have afforded gadgets unthinkable to even wealthiest pirates and smugglers 30 years later. Take the macrobinoculars for example, Ep1 hinted at some sort of advanced targetting systems which they didn't have in the original episodes.

Jameous Woodshire
Ush, I was ribbing you. wink

And my theory on the more advanced electronics is that there may have been better equipment available to ordinary folks and of course to the folks on the 'wrong side' in TPM times. Later when Palpy takes over I bet he makes it harder for ordinary people to own more advanced techs. If you are less well equiped than your subjegator (sp?) then you'd be less likely to raise a revolt.

At least that's what I'd do if I were Emperor. That, and blow Tattoine to bits. That is first on my list. smokin'

Darth Pants
Yeah, I meant that the TPM ones were more advanced looking. In ANH, as I remember, the reading from the binoculars jumped from one value to the other and back again, no matter what shot they were being used in. confused

queeq
Didn't I see Luke with macrobinoculars in ANH? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Jameous Woodshire
Lukes binoculars are in bad shape because they are poor farmers on a backwater planet.

Maul had all Palpys money to use so his were much better.

It may still be that the tech of the OT ordinary peoples are much less than that of the Imperials for the reasons in my statement above.

smokin'

Darth Pants
But the difference is that Sidious channeled all of his resources into one ship and one apprentice pre TPM, when he was emperor he had to sustain billions of officers and millions of ships. Hence, Needa would not have gotten their hands on a cloaking device.

Dim
I think the whole point with the technology was that it WAS supposed to be old and outdated..GL has stated many times that the Prequels show a more advanced, elegant time.

Ushgarak
Certainly more of a Craftsman's age.

Meanwhile, then, is our assumption that Palpatine managed to cover up absolutely everything? Quite some job. It's keeping the Neimodians silent that is still the hardest part.

queeq
Well, that seems like it. I'm just guessing here, but if Palpy is half the man we make him to be it doesn't seem to be too big of a job. He controls the way they are judged and the Neimodians wet their pants in fear for Sidious.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.