Motorcycles.... safe or unsafe?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Rogue Jedi
I wanna buy a bike, but my wife thinks they are unsafe... opinions?

DemonicGambit
It all depends on the driver. If you're gonna do dumb stuff then yeah they're unsafe. But other then that they're safe, at least in my opinion

Rogue Jedi
i agree, but look at it this way. you cant control other drivers. if you are in a car and someone nudges you, you will probably be ok. on a bike in the same situation, you are roadkill.

DemonicGambit
Yeah, but ya jus' learn to deal with those situations

Rogue Jedi
deal with them? how are you gonna deal with being thrown off a bike?

ChinaNiki
If you really want the bike, to reassure your wife you could make sure to wear leathers as well as a helmet. My uncle and cousins have raced motorcycles for years. Now they're working on the third generation. Gavin's only three, but he already has a three-wheeler and a zinger, which is a really small motorcycle. My uncle has something like 21 motorcycles now. He also works at a Harley shop which was his dream job for years.big grin

DemonicGambit
Its sorta hard to explain RJ, ya jus' do. After a while it starts to come naturaly. A bike comes a part of ya, at least that's my experience

ChinaNiki
practice on a nice grassy field first so if you fall over it won't hurt so much

that what my cousin does when he's trying to do tricks on his motorcycle

finti
the rider decide if the bike is unsafe or not

The Omega
I agree with Finti. The wrong person can turn a bicycle into an instrument of destruction.

Kes
This is a question for BBB2 big grin
A friend of mine has a bike and he says that you fall atleast once in your riding (sp) life. Now it depends on the fall.
IMO I love bikes and would love to have one but I deffenatly feel safer in a car.

bigbadbike2
What kind of bike are you planning on getting?

Tired Hiker
Get an Indian Motorcycle or a Harley because they are loud and people hear you coming. That's my two cents, RJ. wink

Korri
safe love

Kes
Yeh they're safe. They're slow laughing out loud No jk.

The Omega
Kes> Yep, cars are definetely safer than bicycles. I still have a scar over my brow from this spring, when a car decided it could probably break traffic-rules, when I was biking.
But biking is healthier... Depending on the smog-levels big grin

Dexx
personaly i love biking..and i do it a lot.
Cars are a lot safer than morcycles, obviously. But i'd like one more than a car. Depends on what do you want it for. It's perfect for your personal fun...but not for family purposes..ya know...baggage and stuff.
i think they're not THAT risky.
just remember what trinity does in M2. you're safe while you don't do that stick out tongue

Rogue Jedi
i am thinking about getting a duell. a harley? nah...that screams "look at me!! i am a bad ass!!!!"

Dexx
don't like harleys that much
i like performance better. A suzuki cool or one of 'em new yamahas
Even a BMW..those are really cool

Rogue Jedi
i used to have a bad ass dirt bike. a husqavarna 500. she was a bad mamajama.

DemonicGambit
Ya should get a Katana 750, now there's a bike

bigbadbike2
duell? I have heard of a Buell. What type of bike id that?

Korri
i love motorcycles big grin

royal_jester
They are unsafe!!!..My Dad was riding one and got into an accident!..Why don't people stick with cars or trucks..There is no protection what-so-ever on the bike!

bigbadbike2
Read Signature.

Baylin
Working as a paramedic I've picked loads of bikers up and I would say about 8/10 are knocked off by car drivers who didnt see them so make sure you have your lights on day and night it makes a big difference to how you're seen. The other 2/10 were bikers pi**ing about and they are usually fatals.

Go for it! I dont own a bike anymore but I've always been a bike person and most of mates are bikers and there is nothing quite like a countryside ride on a nice sunny day big grin

bigbadbike2
Motorcycles are COMPLETELY Safe

unless you wreck

Kes
laughing out loud

diegocala
All it takes is a car/driver that is not paying attention. You have two wheels they have four, slight bump for them not problem, slight bump and you are on the ground, road rash is nasty my friend, I have had it! They scrubbed the asphalt out of me with a hard brissle brush, the WORST pain I have EVER been in! It was on my side, arms and legs..Took them 2 hours just to clean it with the brush. Then the next day they scrubbed the wounds again to make sure thay got out all the rocks out.
That having been said, I still ride motorcycles
They are not safe but sure are fun!
Just keep your head on a swivel, always watch out for the other guy and never think you have the right of way!

It is not a question of IF you will get in an accident, but WHEN...
So be careful ALWAYS

bigbadbike2
Remember to be aggressive in traffic on a motorcycle. If you just go with the flow someone in a car will hit you. If your pace is faster than the other vehicles you will be less apt to be hit by a driver not paying attention. This is not the safest way to drive a car, however. Offensive driving for bikes. Defensive for cars.

BTW Bikes are not that safe. I have had friends with broken bones, road rash, even one that had all of the skin/muscle ripped of his forearm to his wrist by a telephone pole guide wire, and he was wearing a full leather suit. He is just now gotten about 15% usage back in his hand. Also the brother of one of my riding friends has permenant brain damage from one of his spills. He now cannot drive, cook or anything that is even slightly dangerous. He just can't think fast enough to get him out of situations. I know of someone who decided to pass a slow moving car and ran head on into a RV killing him instantly. Two weeks ago a fellow rider blew a turn and fell 300 feet down off the side of a mountain and had to be life flighted to the nearest hospital. So there not that safe they are very fun however.

le_sainte
Why not get a vespa? I have one, and thier alot better then a motorcycle ... Well not really actually

ragesRemorse
motorcylces are deffaintly dangerous. My dad is a doctor and he said after the first two years of his residency he sold his bike after seeing all the trauma that follows biking accidents. He said he's had over 20 poeple in the last ten years who had biking accidents and are now paralyzed in some way. I believe though if your safe and smart they can be safe. The other day though i was driving on the park way and these dumbasses on ninja;s were speeding in and out of traffic like it was grand theft auto or somthing, those are the people that end up dead "try and test that and your bound to get served"

must_kill_Santa
get a Kawasaki ninja there cool

BackFire349
i would never ride a motorcycle. my reasoning being that one accident is most likely going to be all you need in order to die. the slightest little thing could make you go flying.

PiratePrincess
I think it depends how you drive motorcycles. I saw an elderly couple on motorcycles on holiday and they seemed to be having a great time just riding safely along the coast!

DemonicGambit
I love motorcycles, in fact my whole family does. My brother owns his own, he'll take his motorcycle before taking his car. And in my opinion they're great

Corran
I wanted a bike for years, but I'd had a crash when I was 18, not my fault a BMW cut me up around a blind bend and when I ditched the bike into a hedge my head found the only telegraph pole for a couple hundred metres, so I was concussed for a few days, lost a tooth, damaged arm and knee etc. So because of this when I wanted to get one about 6 years ago my wife was wayyy against it cos they are not safe, now we are no longer together I'm thinking to get one, even though they are not that safe it's a chance you take. Hell you take a chance stepping out of your front door. - get one.

Asami
I like motorcycles, but doubt I'd ever get one as I'm too small (only 5ft tall). As a driver though, I do find it quite annoying how some motorists just weave in and out of traffic - safety is down to the driver.

You get your good drivers and your crap drivers or just twats who just don't care that causes accidents.

I just came back from Vietnam recently - the majority over there use motorcycles, but I was too scared to cross the road on my own!

bigbadbike2
OK motorbikes are not safe. But remember, You are going to die one day. Be ready to die every day, then live life to the fullest.

BTW Have a good Life insurance policy for your family.

Doesn't really matter either way, cars are pretty unsafe too, so is walking down the street(i mean you could get hit my a bus). If i were you i'd go with a really nice sports car instead, better handling anyway. hint: viper WOOHOO

eddiedeweese
lose the wife, get an R1

Oh and have you heard about those motocycle jackets that you like plug into the bike or something and if you're in an accident and gto flying the plug will fly out and the jacket will automatically inflate to cushion your fall. Maybe if you get one of those your wife will be more keen to having you get one smile

eddiedeweese
here s my wife

DemonicGambit
laughing Ya got a very nice wife

eddiedeweese
Thanks

bigbadbike2
\

She's pretty hot. I would like to drag some knees with her. stick out tongue

eddiedeweese
Hell ya

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.