Zombie

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dagons Blade
Has anyone here seen this gorefest from 1980? It's creator, the legendary (and now sadly gone Lucio Fulci) created perhaps the best of the bandwagon films that were cashing in on the success of Romero's Dawn of The Dead at the time, as well as adding to (if not starting) a nice little sub genre. Add to the now infamous "eye splinter" scene, and you have one of the truly nastier senes in any horror film of that day or now. Most everyone I talk to can't get over that one.

Just as a side note, if anyone herehas ever seen a film called "Burial ground" from 1979 or 80', there's another scene that's often talked about in the horror circles (you'll KNOW it when you see it, believe me.)

BackFire349
i own zombie, i love it. the eye splinter scene is very possibly the best death scene of all time. lucio fulci was a master of gore and never really abused it. the beyond has some other great gore scenes, as does house by the cemetery, and gates of hell.

Dagons Blade
Right on, brother. Fulci had a weakness in the character development area, combined with the confusing editing in his films, which almost seems to have been done on purpose for 2 reasons:

1: It made them so stupid that you almost wanted them to die by the time they got killed, because they ignored everythng going on around them. Fulci stated this in an interview one time, as being his way of punishing them, while resolving himself of the liability for their stupidity. I guess I kind or understand that.

2: This set the sene for the gore to come: Fulci knew that he could make up for the lacklustre characters by subjecting them to over the top gore scenes with extreme closeups because he knew that people would talk about that more than anything else long after they left the movie.

Forgive the analytical bend here but I used to do online reviews for a website before it was shut down for abuse of their TOS (they were all unmoderated idiots who wanted to fight all the time.)

Anyway, Fulci lives. And BTW-if you have ever seen the Japanese zombie film 'JUNK" there is a HUGE homage to Fulci, just look at the zombies and it gives it all away.

BackFire349
in the movie the dead hate the living there is also a homage to fulci, obviously well respected by underground horror directors and writers, as he should be.

DemonicGambit
Never seen it, but it sounds good

Dagons Blade
Yeah Fulci movies are good, Demonic Gambit.

The short lived bandwagon movement of Euro zombie flicks started after Romero's Dawn Of The Dead in 1978 were, to say the least, quite a big thing. Fulci seems to have had the best impact, while Bruno Mattei had the lowest with an absolutely horrible film called "Hell of The Living Dead" aka Night Of The Zombies. They used archival footage of natives in Africa and New Guinea and various animals to make a simulated jungle bakground, and instead made it look more like "National Zombiegraphic." eek!

And then we have "Burial Ground" aka Zombie 3: The Nights Of Terror. Anyone who has seen this one, or who has the DVD, knows exacty what I'm talking baout, because it had one of the sickest scenes ever seen in a film, and you'll KNOW it when you see it.

BackFire349
i tried to watch burial ground, i thought it was so bad i couldnt finish it. they're actually making a zombie 5, actually its already made and its coming out on dvd soon, if it hasnt already, the premise is a zombie bird that kills people.

Dagons Blade
A zombie bird? They've REALLY run out of ideas now...and all the other films after Zombie aren't really related.

See, Zombie was the original European title of Dawn of The Dead, which Dario Argento helped Romero create the Euro version.
Fulci came along and reated Zombie 2, whice we now know as Zombie, the film talked about in this thread.

Burial Ground was also known as Zombie 3:The Nights Of Terror and after that, all the other filmakers began this Zombie 5 6 and 7 stuff. Took me a while to figure it all out but this is also what someone who runs another horror site told me about. It gets confusing but this whole thing began with Dawn of The Dead (ombie) and Zombie 2.

BackFire349
yep. dawn of the dead 3 disc dvd set it coming out next year. cant wait for that. the day of the dead dvd that just came out is great.

Dagons Blade
The new Day of The Dead disc is out? COOL! I have the old one so maybe it'll be a collectible some day, who knows? What's in the new "Day' disc? And yeah, the 3 disc set of "Dawn' is on my list too.

BackFire349
the day of the dead dvd is a 2 disc set, it has a few featurettes, and commentary with romero, savini, and the actress in it (forgive me if her name escapes me at this moment) its a great dvd and definately should be in every horror fans collection.

papabeard
Slightly off topic , but I just watched City of the Living Dead by Fulci and enjoyed it much more than i did before, it is not as bad as i remember it, in fact its pretty good,

Whats the last zombie movie fulci made?

tpaquin
I believe that Zombi 3 was his last Zombie-related directorial romp.

I recently got Zombie because of all of the hooplah I've been hearing, and the film itself really let me down. It wasn't particularly bad, cinemarically. In fact, some of it was quite impressive. I just couldn't compare its melodrama to Dawn of the Dead's more human tone. These characters seem to lack personality. That's about it.

slasherpunk18
Originally posted by Dagons Blade
Has anyone here seen this gorefest from 1980? It's creator, the legendary (and now sadly gone Lucio Fulci) created perhaps the best of the bandwagon films that were cashing in on the success of Romero's Dawn of The Dead at the time, as well as adding to (if not starting) a nice little sub genre. Add to the now infamous "eye splinter" scene, and you have one of the truly nastier senes in any horror film of that day or now. Most everyone I talk to can't get over that one.

Just as a side note, if anyone herehas ever seen a film called "Burial ground" from 1979 or 80', there's another scene that's often talked about in the horror circles (you'll KNOW it when you see it, believe me.)

I bought this movie just recently and I was not diassapointed.
The eye splinter scene was of course classic,I actually saw it the night after I watched the Beyond for the first time.
And yes,I saw burial ground and loved it.As for the scene you were talking about,would it be the scene at the end where the boy gets some breast meat?

Dagons Blade
Hi Slasherpunk! smile

Yup that's the scene, where the kid bites his mom's titty. His mom was HOT though. She was in Jess Franco's Killer Barbies and he name is Mariangela Giordano. She was fully nude in that movie too like she was in Burial Ground. Definite Euro MILF material.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.