Final Fantasy : The spirits within

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SaTsuJiN
Hey, heh. I just got done watching this great movie and I couldnt help but wonder why it "bombed at the boxoffice". Its really such a wonderful story and true to the Final Fantasy name. So I figured I'd pop up a little FF : TSW dedication/discussion thread in honor of such an underappreciated benchmark in cinematic compilation. big grin

Aki : "The dream is always the same..."

silentfaf
due it sucked it. sucked so bad. wasnt even much like the game story wise it just sucked. it would been better if they based it on one of the games like ff6 or ff7 the best 2 games i might add

Celsius
Impressive graphics! But!! A cheasy and shallow storyline. In my opinion.

lukeyduckey
Why did it fail at the box office?? well 1. it sucked 2. it really sucked 3. it really really really sucked
It ddint have a good story line.
And i agree that they shoulda done Final fantasy 7, my fav

SaTsuJiN
Well I think maybe you didnt realise that its the same story layout for all Final Fantasies. Earth in Danger (check) Two people who have feelings for eachother (check) someone named cid (check) bum who wants to screw everything up (check).

Basically what im saying is that ff7 - 10 have all had pretty much the same story layout, just with different characters or situations. The fundamentals remain the same though. Only people who played ff7 first will say its thier fave. Dont consider yourself a FF fan if thats so. FFTSW
had pretty much the same qualities in terms of story and characters.

I felt like if they had been given more fan support they could have created something far better. Since they got shot down I guess you can play rehashes (FFx-2 , FFx-3 , FFx-4 etc.) or you could play the mediocre FFXI which has nothing on korean or american mmorpgs

ragesRemorse
spirits within was a good movie, how can you say the story sucked? its better than about 90% of all sci/fi movies, it might not have gone into great detail surrounding it but it still had depth and a twist twords the end, which makes this just like an FF story it had the essence of final fantasy written all over it. they even consulted the writers of the games for ideas. It bombed though because people were turned off by the CGI of the movie.I read a poll in cinescape and producers interviwed fans and they said they diddnt like the CGI.

and i think X-2 is actually a good idea final fantasy is always known for originality and inovative gameplay, and since theyve never done a sequal to a particular game itll be interesting to see what they do with it, but i fear if this game is popular it will be a start of a trend

lukeyduckey
Yes the red thing floaing across the screen as great yeah. *sarcasim alight*
The games do have a similar pattern but 7 was the best coz they mangaed to make you care for cloud the most, and Sepoith was the best enemy ever.
I loved the game ever since the scene where you see septioh shove it sword into Cloud, who graps the edge and just pulls it out.
Marvelous.
The film? i fear i like Gigli better, or is that too harsh?

silentfaf
idk saying gigli better but comes close to it and lucky ff7 was great and had such great character indepth and emotion that made u care bout all of them just great game and story unlike spirits within story just sucked

lukeyduckey
Ok my name is LUKEY, no C but an e, u know Luke!!
lol ff7 ruled, ff film sucked

Hypernova
Good graphics though!

From a story-telling point of view, I thought it wasn't that bad (ie not totally sucked). I do think they could have done this a little better though.

SaTsuJiN
Yeah, but since there wasnt alot of 'encouragement' (fan support), they werent able to be funded enough to make another one. So we'll never know what it coulda been capable of for perhaps a sequel of some sort.

I think final fantasy 6 and final fantasy 10 deserved to be a movie hehe

Storm
The graphics were/are amazing but I have my doubts about the story line.

shojo_no_umi
This movie happens to be one of my favs. Even tho it has nothing to do with its name sake, its still a kick a$$ movie. I think it is a good movie, and i love the songs from it.

el_barto
its a ****in movie not a video game geez

well i liked it i think the graphics were so good that i forgot that i was watching graphics instead of real ppl

Cinemaddiction
Over a year later, I've decided to resurrect the thread after finally renting the movie.

I avoided it like the plague because of the negative press, and my lack of familiarity with the game franchise, which it subsequently had nothing to do with, which was odd. I realize I should have let my curiosity take hold sooner, because I thought it was an enjoyable movie.

Incredible CGI, for starters. It wasn't frightening realistic like "Polar Express". FF's CGI was polished, very, very well crafted and fluid. The recognizible voice talents were on point as well, and they fit their characters, especially Baldwin and Sutherland. Brilliant.

I also throughly enjoyed the story, although it was somewhat shallow and cliche, as well as slow at times, for a Sci Fi flick. The APPROACH is what matters. Aliens that thrive on human spirits, overtaking the world, and a series of natural elements are needed to save the planets and remanisfest Gaia? That's unique, and smart.

Anycrap, unfortunately, this movie will continue to go unrealized by so many people because of it's CGI, Science Fiction, video game nature. That said, I encourage Sci Fi fans to give this one a chance. Much like "The Incredibles", the animation and story flow with such ease, you eventually forget you're essentially watching a space cartoon.

Thumbs up from yours truly.

Aku
Wahey another FF thread. Just play FF7 it's the one all the fans rave on about. Even though MGS is so much better.

Major Knight
This movie prolly bombed at the box office because it isn't final fantasy. It was a whole different thing, with the same name as the games. So when people go see this "final fantasy" movie, they were so disappointed (like me) because they thought it was going to be something like the games. don't get me wrong its not horrible but i cant get over how its just not FF but it has the name. And when i say it wasn't FF, thats because FF's usually do have the worked in danger guy and girl and so on but usually there worlds are run different and more original then the last. but in this movie the world was like in every ofter sci fi movie. oh and no cool magic or summons...c'mon

Aku
In other words it was shite

vampier_alucard
i liked it it was ok but yea not a ff movie but the cg to DIE for ^_^

GreenyGreenwell
plain and simple, it was crap. shame really cause it had suck high hopes.

Sony had to by a third of the company to same squaresoft from going under. later brought by enix. thats why its square-enix now.

Advent children looks brilliant tho so i cant wait for that.

Cinemaddiction
I found the 2 disc edition of this the other day for $5, and forgot how much fun it was. It was literally shit on in the theatre, bashed by critics and gamers alike. Personally, I think it's one of the best CGI movies of all time. The craftmanship and voice talents were very well done.

Dunno why it gets so much guff. It's great Sci Fi, too.

SaTsuJiN
Wow.. someone agrees with me .. personally to me this movie is a testament to human enginuity when it comes to replicating reality.. I hope square continues to try to make movies of this calibur (and possibly higher)

jaden101
i liked it so much that i bought it second hand for 2 bucks at a pawn shop

seriously though...i did like it...dont know why given that i didnt like the games all that much

the dream sequences were well executed as were the old city scenes...i thought the ending was a bit strung out though and i didnt really like the gaia aspect of the plot

decent enough for a first effort although the FF fans didnt like it cause it wasnt similar to the games and the mainstrean people didnt like it because it was promoted as being linked with the game...

bad marketing killed the film

where as being a bad film killed the likes of truly rubbish films such are battlefield earth, gigli and waterworld

starwing
Originally posted by jaden101
i liked it so much that i bought it second hand for 2 bucks at a pawn shop

seriously though...i did like it...dont know why given that i didnt like the games all that much

the dream sequences were well executed as were the old city scenes...i thought the ending was a bit strung out though and i didnt really like the gaia aspect of the plot

decent enough for a first effort although the FF fans didnt like it cause it wasnt similar to the games and the mainstrean people didnt like it because it was promoted as being linked with the game...

bad marketing killed the film

where as being a bad film killed the likes of truly rubbish films such are battlefield earth, gigli and waterworld

Heh. I like your take on it, jaden101.

I actually liked the film, myself. I think jaden gave some of the reasons for its failure at the B.O. I also think the film really tried to do things people are not comfortable with at the time in CG years ahead of the advancements that we would get later in Spiderman 2, and years ahead of the public acceptance of the much colder looking CG images in Polar Express. The movie came out way ahead of the onslaught of these CG films that people easily accept now.

One thing certain over the years is that people either liked it or abhor it.

Strange. confused

Guardian05
The movie was awesome. The graphics on it were killer by far. The only thing that kinda threw me off was that it didn't relate with the games. If it did that, it would've had a much better review. Other than that man FF rocks.

Darth_Otaku
It was OK.It was on Dutch TV yesterday.I watched,cuz there was nothing other on...The TV GUide gave it a 3 star recognition.But the characters anoyed me.The only cool one was the black dude.There was this whiny ass who can't stop making stupid joke's a manb1tch a dude called Grey(Grey Edwards for crying out loud!)An old scientist,a ****ed up General.And the hottest CGI chick I ever saw.(In my knowledge i've only seen one.)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.