LUKE AND LEIA

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

hickbo
I have read on the web site about what
will happen to the twins when they are born.
everyone is saying thatben will take them
away but i dont think this will happen.
in episode 5 empire strikes back when luke
leaves yoda to go to the sky city ben says
that luke was there last hope, this inplys
that ben does not know about leia being lukes twin

any thoughts (or am i wrong)

hickbo

Ushgarak
Right. Ben's lines in ROTJ make it clear that he DOES know about Leia. Howeer, he also says in that film the Luke is their 'last hope'

The implication- and this is supported by the novel- is that although Ben knows about Leia, he does not think she is capable of defeating Vader and the Emperor- only Luke. Yoda clearly believed otherwise. Hence, Ben calls Luke the 'last hope', while Yoda thinks that Leia could be another... frankly, I agree with Ben.

That being the case, the generally accepted story that Ben hides the twins is perfectly feasible, especially as Bail Organna (Leia's foster father) is a friend of Obi-Wan's. But we don't know that for CERTAIN, yet.

ratcat
With Bail's inclusion in Episoe-II and possiblye III as well, I think that this will be one of the questions that DOES get answered.

darth fester
it dont look like owen lars is obi ones brother

Ushgarak
No, and that is a good example of how the novels have a lower-grade canonicity than the films, because what they say will be over-ridden.

ratcat
MAY be overridden. I don't think it would pay GL to just wipe out 50 books that he )personally I believe) endorsed...

Ushgarak
Actually that wasn't an EU point. The novelisations actually show up on the canonicity radar, beneath the screenplays, I think. But where they conflict with the film (especially the first book, quite different in a number of ways), the film overrides them totally.

Remember, GL endorses them as 'sanctioned by Lucasfilm' Never, ever, ever did he give them permission to make an official contribution to his world. They are just 'stories based upon...' Like I say, for better or worse, that's how he wants it, and he has not shown any fear to casually override the EU. Star Wars is HIS baby, after all.

Dim
I don't know..if he tries to work it in so that it fits in (however cheesily) with the the Obi-Wan/Owen brotherhood then it's going to be at risk of seeming really over the top IMHO.

Ushgarak
Yes, indeed. GL will go outright to meet the Classic Films- but nothing else, even other canonical sources. So there could be several convetnions upset.

Darth Pants
Something I noticed whilst watching ESB the other day, Luke says "Theres something familiar about this place" on Dagobah. Were the twins taken there when they were very young, or was he referring to the general atmosphere of the place (i.e. presence of a Jedi master)? Personally, I think it would be cool if there was a scene on Dagobah, perhaps a duel with Dooku or Vader, and the twins are taken away for safety.

Ushgarak
There HAS been speculation on this before... impossible to prove in any way of course.

Mind you, Yoda HAS to get to Dagobah somehow, so perhaps we'll see it...

Darth Pants
We should see it, I can't see any way of them getting away with Yoda just saying "Off to Dagobah, I am." and leaving it at that. I was thinking that Episode 3 would be the darkest of the lot, with Anakin pursuing the twins for part of the film, as the last few Jedi are killed off.

Ushgarak
It would be nice- however, there are indications that we won't see the Jedi being finished off- merely the start of the process- and also that if we see the babies at all it will only be for the briefest of brief moments.

Sparky12
i don't mean to get off on a rant here but, darth pants may be on to more than meets the eye. rather than "off to degobah i am", it may be more along the lines of, "off to degobah we are". to reconvene with the few remaining jedi. vader vs. ?? in the cave= vader loses, and splits. yoda sends off who ever is left to far reaches of the galaxy, keeps an eye on the kids for a while, gives luke to owen, and leia to her parents (i can't recall who exactly anymore). this takes me to why yoda believes the other MMAAYY be in reference to leia. in one of the first scenes of ANH, one of the emperial generals states that the emeror has desolved what was left of the imperial senate- a political move. leia is certainly more poised for political antics, as well as having more ties to the masses through out the galaxy because of this. so in episode VII, her place as an active political figure is set for a continuing battle with the sith. whew! sorry 'bout that

Ushgarak
Vader does not appear to know that Yoda is still alive- nor does the Emperor.

jedi212guy
Agreed, but I don't know how they can miss him. After all, he IS the most powerful Jedi in the galaxy.

I DOUBT that Palpy would say, "Well, I guess if we kill everyone but the Jedi leader, that's good enough. No sale. cool

JediOasis
While I think Yoda may play an important part in deciding the twins fate I believe that Padme will actually have the final say, they are her children after all. Maybe Yoda or Obi-Wan wants to raise the children but Padme after seeing what became of Anakin decides that she doesn't want her children to become Jedi. And as she is about to die she tells Obi-Wan her wishes. Then by the time ANH rolls around the children are truly the last hope and Obi-Wan has no choice but to train them.

darth fester
a few points here

1. the emperor did not know about leia until rotj when he read lukes feelings

2. in rotj luke asked leia about her mother she had memories of her but luke didnt so maybe he got taken away first

3. if yoda is more powerfull than palpy does he use force lightning or is it only a darkside thing if so do you think well see yoda fight

Dim
1. I believe that was Vader, not the Emperor.

2. You're probably right...it does seem like Luke was taken first.

3. It might just be a matter of Yoda's fighting style. That might be the whole reason we might not see him use force lightening...but then again, maybe he does. It's not like we've seen him in a fight situation before.

jedi212guy
Since we only see Palpy use force lightning, it's unclear if Yoda can use it.

According to EU, it is a strictly Dark Side power.

My personally feelings are that it wouldn't make sense for a Jedi to use force lightning. It is meant to inflict great suffering. Just look at the Emperor's face. He is seething with hatred.

We'll get to see Yoda fight only if ILM can make it look realistic. Man, I hope that they can pull it off!!! rolling on floor laughing

Ushgarak
The Emperr;s face is seething because he is powering himself with hatred. Force Lightning is not endemically evil- for example, if you used it to blow out a door that's fine, yeah? It's what you DO with what you use that's important, not simply what you use

Mind you, when it comes to the Lightning that's not an informed view by me, it's just the best way to treat it until we hear otheerwise. There may be good plot-based reasons why good guys never use it, like a. it's forbidden Sith Lore, or b. it ONLY works if powered by hatred etc.

I reckon the reason the Sith do not know of Yoda's continued existence may well be explained.

jedi212guy
The only thing I have been able to think of is that the Emperor thinks that he dies in a battle or a ship explosion or something of that nature.

Ushgarak
Yes, anything like that is fine. Popular fan rumour still has it that Yoda hides on Dagobah because it is strong in the Dark Side, concealing him.

Sadly, many people repeat rumour like this as fact. But it's still owrth bearing in mind.

jedi212guy
Yes, that's valid, but just because they can't find Yoda doesn't mean that they aren't worried that he isn't dead.

Ushgarak
Yes, but we are pretty certain that Obi-Wan is the only one they think is at large.

jedi212guy
We'll just have to wait and see, I guess...

Darth Pants
You have to remember that powerful beings seem to have the ability to hide their power from their enemy, Vader and Luke could sense eachother from great distances, yet Palpatine stood at Qui Gon's funeral, surrounded by Jedi, and no-one could sense his presence. The place would have reeked with dark sideness if it was another Sith lord. It's one thing to be bubbling with force ability, but it requires a completely different level of training to hide that ability.

Ushgarak
Vader and Luke had certain advantages insensing each other, of course, once they were aware of each other...

Jameous Woodshire
In a spoiler released today Mace Windu says to Obi Wan that Yoda has gone off to meditate on the origin of the Sith...
MACE WINDU "
Probing the Dark Side is a
dangerous process. He could be in
seclusion for days... May The
Force Be With You. "

Is this where he finds Dagobah and meditates there?

Also Rick McCallum said a few months ago, we will see Yoda's fighting style in EP2! Cool! smokin'

Ushgarak
POSSIBLE spoiler! That one is unconfirmed... though on good ground.

And that 'fighting style' comment is ambiguous...

Anyhow- maybe. Or he may be in seclusion inside the Temple, we cannot tell at this point.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.