The Merovingian

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Sifer
Another interesting character introduced to us in Reloaded and Enter the Matrix.

Who or What is the Merovingian. Stating the obvious, he is a program. But why can we see him? Because he is an exile. What was his purpose? Read on for a possible answer.

We all know now that the Merovingian is a very dangerous program and he was one of the first. We also know that he wouldn't let the keymaker go willingly. Free Will? Think while continuing to read.

From what has been told to use in the movies, the programs, when initially created are invisible and we wouldn't even know they were there. We also know that if they break down, or a newer version is created, then they have the option to return to the Source or become an Exile in the Matrix bound in disguise of a human body. So I think it is safe to assume that all programs that are visible (save Agents. I will explain this some other time) are Exiles of the system.

Right now take all that information and have a read of this (From the architect scene):

You are the eventuality of an anomaly, which despite my sincerest efforts I've been unable to eliminate from what is otherwise...

Neo: Choice, the problem is choice.

If you haven't already guessed, what I am trying to get at is that the Merovingian was an attempt (by the Architect) at creating a program to govern choice - or apparent free will. This would explain many things about why the Merovingian is the way he is, and why he can do some of the things we know him capable of.

There is definately more evidence to back this up but I would rather you figure it out for yourself, because as I have said before, it will feel more fulfilling smile If you want ellaboration, I will try my best to do so and in the coming days I will add some more info to it.

Good Luck big grin

The Don Won
'All the world is a stage,
and all the men and women are merely players,
they have their exits and their entrances,
and one man in his time plays many parts,
his act being seven ages.'
(william shakespear)

Contraversial but I think that the merovingian is a past ONE. I belive this to be correct for a few reasons. Firstly when morpheus is talking to neo about when the matrix was made there was a man born within the matrix who had the power to change it as he saw fit.
The merovigian proves he has this power as he creates the program seen as a cake.
Also Persephany says to neo that "he was once a man like you".

Secondly the word merovingian taken from the merovigian dynasty, which is belived to be the bloodline of christ. Thus making the merovingian to be and earlier incarnation of the one of which neo is just the latest.

Within the matrix film so far we have learnt that there have been six incarnations of the matrix if we relate this to shakespears seven ages of man could this mean that the seventh age will bring death to the matrix. 'the last scene of all'.

Another thing I would like to finnish on is that binary consists of 1's and 0's one cannot exist without the other. Could this mean that if neo is ONE is smith Zero? Alpha and Omega?

Smith is the one!

nickjs21
"Firstly when morpheus is talking to neo about when the matrix was made there was a man born within the matrix . . . "

you forget that morpheus doesn't know about all the ones before that. morpheus' story is not true. the one was not born in the matrix -- the one was simply there, full-grown, when the reboot began.

"Within the matrix film so far we have learnt that there have been six incarnations of the matrix if we relate this to shakespears seven ages of man could this mean that the seventh age will bring death to the matrix."

well there have only been five previous matrices (if you don't count the first, disaster matrix that did not contain a "one"wink. so this current one is number six. so unless the thrid film is long enough for the matrix to reload and begin a seventh one, your theory probably won't come into play.

sifer: i think you lost me. are you saying the architect tried to create his own one? or that he just tried to create a program with free will?

Alex-Neo
Sifer i just want to ask but i might be reading this wrong but you never really proved any thing and what dose this From the architect scene:

You are the eventuality of an anomaly, which despite my sincerest efforts I've been unable to eliminate from what is otherwise...

have to do with the merovingeon?

SiriusBlackRIP
I know this is not particularly relevant to what Sifer is saying but why is the Merovingian so dangerous? If he is an exiled program what do you think makes him so hard? Does he have a special power and shit like that? Or if he is a previous one can he fly and dodge bullets? Do you think he will fight in Revolutions cos in Reloaded he lets his minions do all the work and just watches and looks cool in the background.

Personally I'm not with the Mero being a previous one theory. I'm pretty sure he is a program becasue of the company he keeps. But his purpose, i'm not sure? Help us out Sifer.

Sifer
Firstly: Don Won: Persephone does NOT say "he was once a man like you". She says:

He was so different. He was like you.

But this post was to find an alternate explanation for what the Merovingian is/was. I stated that I think that the Merovingian was a program created by the Architect (possibly in the perfect world Matrix) to govern 'choice' or 'free-will'.

Think about it smile

Sifer
BUMP

happy kine
merovingian could be just a programer. the architect designs and the mero does the work. or maybe he was tech support. or maybe he is just a regular rouge program that became the head of rouge programs.

Sifer
But that doesn't explain his purpose, his reason for being smile

Labyrinth
i dont agree with this one but your Morpheus theory had me going

SiriusBlackRIP
I agree, what is his purpose? He couldn't be a program to govern choice because that defeats the point of free will. Or it's quite likely that I just don't understand...

happy kine
once you go rouge you have no purpose. smith is rouge and has no purpose. and the mero's place is a haven for rouge programs. but if he still does have a purpose then maybe its to test the one. why would he keep the keymaster and just not delete him? why would he (henchmen rather) even fight the one, they should know they will lose. he may just be there to make neo think he is actually doing something rather then just letting him walk into the source... another form of control. maybe or maybe not. and maybe we will never know. or maybe

theprophecy123
mero has the keymaker so he can be in a chateau in the mountains aswell as a restaurant in the middle of the city and more he wants POWER posessing the keys to the back doors of the matrix...

"ok you have some skill'...
'you see hes just a man'...
'let us see where this goes'...

wasnt persephones kiss a test of love?
because he passed he got the keymaker, and so reached the source
because of love he chose the door to return to the matrix
(then whatever happens so that the merovingian somehow has neos mind captured in the matrix (some sort of coma))
mero and persephone have him in hel

theprophecy123
Hades was known as 'The Rich One'

Sifer
Choice and Free Will do contradict each other but think about it in the context of the film. What happens for the program to become exile? They break down? They are replaced? Could this be WHY the Merovingian tries to prove Choice as an illusion - because he knows it is as he was written to govern that very thing.

Remember, Choice is the humans delusion of free-will smile The real freedom of the will starts to become more apparent when you delve into Metaphysics.

The Omega

revolution_man
i totally see what sifer is saying! smart man you are, sifer....i was also thinking that since the architect is in the source...that, though technically every program is given a choice, with his sincerest efforts he tries to eliminate them and create an upgrade......agent smith was given a choice and he stayed....neo pretty much says that is the problem with the matrix......."choice. the problem is choice." thats why the matrix is beggining to corupt...becasue programs are given a choice...and sadly one of them that made a choice to stay has the power to end the matrix....i dont know, just a thought

The Don Won
My main point which i stated and i see that no one picked up on is the fact is that the merovingian in frankish popular culture is regarded as the blood line of christ, as in the merovingian dynasty.
The stuff about shakespear i just thought was cool.
I have also read on these messege boards that neo is regarded as a modern day christ figure.
Mr 'Nickjs21' (senior member) If what u say is true that we are on the fifth reboot of the matrix this would also fit. If you look up the ages of man in greek mythology there are only 5 stated. Making the matrix films being the sixth age and neo the sixth one. But then again we all know that the matrix exists after neo as the MMORPG is set after the matrix revolutions.

But then again there is no real truth only oppinion.

The Omega

Sifer
Don Won I have picked up on it and knew it long before I posted this topic. The 5 ages of man was also another topic discussed by me and my mates...we are investingating it further before I put anything on the board.

Sifer
Also going back to Metaphysics and why Choice and Free-Will are relevant is because the basic premise of Metaphysics is:

The belief that you can change the future based upon the choices you make. a.k.a, The Freedom of the Will. This is but a VERY vague description of Metaphysics.

nickjs21
revoultuion man:
you're information is slightly incorrect. the problem is not the choice of the programs, but the choice of the humans still plugged in. the matrix is beginning to corrupt because it is the HUMANS who are choosing.

sifer: can you just PM me the "answer" to this one? i'm having a hard enough time balancing everything else i've got, including your morpheus and seraph theories. c'mon. senior member to senior member?

SiriusBlackRIP
LOL

theprophecy123
wats meros mural about?
heaven and hell?
a war?

Korri
ohhhhhh nice picture!!! love

Sifer
The casting down of Lucifer?

SiriusBlackRIP
Looks more like the war between heaven and hell. This took place after the casting down of Lucifer.

Korri
Merovingain=Hades

Big_Diek
Mr. Merovingian...odd character...I know, he is not a former ONE enter's the source reinserting the prime program, Neo's, "Code" then the One dies...without anything else to live for no...purpose, as Smith would say. I believe...he was just a regular old program, a program created for the purpose of information, just like he said...but he then became an exile. Then from all the info he has, the finds other programs, strong older ones, and protects them, therfore they protect him yadda yadda. That's why he's powerfull.

SG_Fox
Just to repeat what the Big Diek said, Merovingain states his purpose in the movie, he's the info. guy, he knows everything about the matrix, plus I dont believe that he's an exiled program either, he just has body guards and thugs to protect him from "The One" and the other purpose is to do his dirty work, I only say this because The Merovingain says that he has survived the other "Ones" and he'll survive Neo too. This statement also goes with my theory that some programs can be seen and some can't, I think the Oracle says that bascially if the program does their job right you'll never hear form them or see them. Which brings up the of why the agents, the arch. and Merovingain can be seen.
My only question, what does the Merovingain's wife (Persephone) have to do as a program, or is she the real info. person, because she excatly what her husband was up to in the womens bathroom?????? Happy Dance

One last thing, I think the Arch. is talking about the Orcale when he's talking about the one program that he's tried to get rid of, only because she is helping Neo and Morpheus and others, Merovingain isn't really hurting the Arch. "designs" in any way.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.