ROTK siege of gondor battle. MINAS TIRITH --BEWARE: SPOILERS--

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Partyboy23
is the seige of gondor looking up to everybodies expectations? (from the TTT DVD preview) after all Pete J's hype about how it is the going to be the most horrific, epic battle in movie history. of the few clips were seen, what ya think!?

Coshlo
i hope they show the heads being catapulted into the city!!

Partyboy23
that would be immense!!
i reckon the best bit in ROTk will be the muster of Rohan.
wow!! in the DVD preview. WOW!

turin
ya it looks amazing. i cant waite to see the rohirrim charging across the pelanor fields. i just have one question though. the keep mentioning 200,000 orcs, well how many good guys is there? i tried last night to look it up in the books, but all i could really find was how many people came into minus tirith the day before the seige, a little less then 3,000. and according to the movie eomer had what like 2,000 horsemen, then if you add how many survived helms deep rohan cant be sending more than 4 or 5 thousand (which in the clip looks a lot more). so there is lets say 8,000. how many do you think were already in minis tirith? my guess would have to be like 10,000 (when the army of the west went to the black gate they had around 10,000 i beleive) so if you add in a few hundred for those that came with aragorn on the ships we are looking at just under 20,000. one for every ten orcs. a little unfessable, but what do you all think?

GABRIEL05
Naw the best clip, if its in the movie mind you, will be when Aragorn lands with the Umbar ships and him, Gimli, and Legolas come off kickin some buttox

turin
ya i hope that they show them taking the ships in umbar. that would be awesome.

Fire
well Turin indeed they are vastly out numbered.
but history has shown us that you do not need strength in numbers to win a "battle" or a "war"

I'll give some examples but they are all totaly different situations
A: The vietcong vs The United States
B: The english vs The french (in almost every battle in the 100 year war)
C: The scottish vs The english at stirling
D: The United States vs The somali rebels in black hawk down

as said before different situations
and don't forget turin the good guys have cavalry even heavy cavalry if I do not mistake, a cavalry charge was a very powerful tool in medieval warfare untill some advanced ranged weapons were used effectively

Ambarturion
On the numbers question there are more Rohirrim than just the ones at Helm`s Deep I believe. In the books I think it mentions that they wait for all the men to assemble from the corners of Rohan (Not all of them were able to assemble in time to take part in the war on Saruman)

Mind you as fire said, numbers arent everything.

turin
well your right numbers arent everything (look at helms deep for example). its just in this case it is just so overwhelming. plus remember in the books, saurons forces had cavalry as well (although i am sure not as skilled as the rohirrim) plus they had oliphaunts and trolls. true rohan had a lot of soldiers show up that werent at hlems deep. i was just makin an observation on the vast difference in troops between the two armies.

Sifer
And in Helms Deep (in the book) there were no elves giving a helping hand either smile

fini
its gonna rock

coolboarder98
The thing about RotK is that they didn't show the rangers from the north with Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli on the Paths of the Dead! Plus I wonder what PJ's gonna do with the way he'll portray them.

turin
you mean the rangers of the north? i dont think they are going to be in it. in the preview for ROTK it shows aragorn entering the paths of the dead and gimli and legolas are the only ones with him. if you mean the way pj's going to portray the dead soldiers, well look on theonering.net and it has a photo of what possible they look like.

Fire
hmm I think he won't use em, but it would be cool tho
I'd portray them kinda like faramir and his men, just a tad less organised

pinksuezo
the rangers from the books were replaced by the elves from lorien and maybe rivendell in the movies.

ATM4eternity
After watching the DVD I am really looking forward to seeing the rohirrim's charge. It just looks so awesome with the very long line of horsemen, that is going to be the coolest part of the battle...

I have a question though, I read ROTK a while back so correct me if I'm wrong (I probably am). OK, but the biggest hype is focused on the siege of Gondor and the battle at Pelennor fields, why shouldn't it be, it seems like one of the best battle scenes in movie history. But the way PJ is making it sound that is going to be the big climax of the movie, and probably making the battle at the black gates not look so hot. If I remember right from the book, the battle doesn't last very long, but still I would think that PJ would make some hype about it, and make it longer in the movie so that it can still keep some dignity when compared to the battle at the Pelennor. If I remember right, by size there were only like 6000 men that went to the black gates all together, but i would still like to see one awesome battle at the end. I know I might be wrong about this i was just wondering so if any body wants to correct be my guest because i just wanted to make sure i was thinking right, so tell me all your opinions.

Partyboy23
yeah, it would be cool seeing a big battle scene at black gates, more vivid than the book, hopefully.the siege of gondor is the climax(apart from !!!!!!******SPOILER*****!!!!! : the ring being destroyed !!!!!******!!!!!!!!) because pelennor fields is the point where sauron comes so close to taking middle earth, with minas tirith taken then that would be it, pretty much so i suppose PJ will focus more on this battle. and obviously its bigger as well, and has the greatest charge in the whole book, with the Rohan. i reckon PJ will make black gates pretty amazing though, when the armies encircle the captains of the west.WOW!cant wait. which battle is everyone looking forward to most? or is it shelob?

Sifer
Pelennor and the destruction of the Witch King, Shelob, Black Gates and seeing the Mouth of Sauron (his lieutenant), Paths of the Dead, Ghost Ships, Gollum's dance on the edge of Mount Doom....errr should I just say the whole film is going to brilliant. So brilliant I think it will be the best piece of cinema ever filmed.

ROLL ON DECEMBER!!!

username39120jo
all i say is they beter have the rangers! i guess pj knows what he's doin' but i always liked strider and all his buddys. As for the witch king ya'll thought gandalfs struggle wit the balrog was somethin' i can't wait till he gets it on wit the witch king.

pinksuezo
username im pretty sure i read b4 that they decided having the rangers appear would be too confusing for the nonfan audience, and that having humans only in the lotr battles, as they do in the books, wasnt good enough. so that is why elves from lorien show up at helms deep instead of rangers, and why theyll prolly still be in the rotk battles insted o the rangers.

as for the battle at the black gate, im fine with it being short, cus pelennor will probably be huge, and the stuff that happens at the black gates, tho short, is varied
(spoilers..i.e. olog hai and eagles)
and at the same time as the battle at the gate, frodo is at mount doom. so that is the climax.

turin
well i had heard a report that talks a little about the battle at the black gate and it sounds like it is still going to be pretty good, and i bet it will be tied into what is going on with frodo and sam at the same time so it will be pretty climactic!!!

username39120jo
i agree i hope they put this line from the book:

Sam: can you manage Mr. Frodo

Frodo: i don't know it is such a burden.

Sam: then let me cary it for you you know i would, just for a little while.

Frodo: STAY AWAY! ITS MINE!

Lady Ellie
big grin big grin big grin I can hardly wait!!! I think the movie is going to be so awesome! Rotk was my favourite book and I hope it will be the same with the movie. And Gondor looked really good.
I'm also exited to see Eowyn fight. rock rock

Fire
I think they will username

billyboyd4ever
i would be really upset if they didnt use the rangers...i always liked them...poopy sad

Sifer
Gandalf doesn't kill the Witch King for those who are misinformed

fini
that is eowyn's and merry's big scene............they cant give gandalf everything

ilvorlandobloom
yeah, that would suck if in the movie they had Gandalf kill the witch king insteada Eowyn(with help from Merry of course)!

Fire
I doubt they will do that

ugthebarbarian
I think PJ knows what he's doing. The movie is pretty long, and I bet the Pelennor Fields will be somewhere about halfway into it. It will take at least half an hour, and as soon as its over and everyone is winding down from watching the hugest battle onscreen ever, they'll start preparing for the battle at morannon. While they are about to fight it though, the focus will definitely be put on frodo, sam, and gollum. And don't forget, PJ said that his climax at mt. doom is different from the book. He said Sauron will be more than just an eye, but something better than just a big guy in a big black costume.

ugthebarbarian
I also think that PJ will do something to show how united Middle Earth can be. he put the elves in TTT, so he might put elves, dwarves, and possibly Ents in one of the two major battles, if not, then both.

It would be cool to see all them fight together side by side against the "orcses". Keep in mind that the books, the elves and dwarves were not hiding. Lothlorien was under constant attack, but never invaded cuz they rock. The dwarves and elves of mirkwood (legolas' buddies) were attacked by an army almost as big as that in the south against minas tirith. And, unfortunately, the elves of mirkwood with the dwarves lost their battle. it was only after the ring was destroyed they were able to repel the orcs.

username39120jo
don't forget about the eagles (Gwaihir rox!) I still hope that they have gollum bite off frodo's finger at the end. and i hope that they have the part where sam thinks frodo is dead and takes the ring that was my fav part of the book i realy believed frodo was dead!

Fire
I doubt the eagles will

appear and this thread needs modding

certainly username his last post

pinksuezo
yah man. delete or make a bigger empty space tween yer spoilers and text or sumthin, so u dont help ruin it fer ppl who dunno whas gona happen.

Fire
no just use decent spoiler tags

MAh should edit it

username39120jo
sory guys screwed up the soiler text thingy, won't happen again sad

Fire
np mate

not much harm done

turin
i dont want to ruin the film for any one either, but who doesnt know whats going to happen? thats not being rude or anything, i am just wondering, honestly is there anyone in these threads that doesnt know? please speak up.

Fire
there are ppl here turin

ppl who only saw the movies

turin
Everybody says there is, but i havent seen any, but then again i havent been looking for them either. I am just wondering?

Fire
there are a few but not too many

GABRIEL05
I want to see the Easterlings, and other forces of evil fight. The Easterlings had a weak battle scene in TTT they got deslaughterized by like 100 or so rangers Was that even spoiler worthy?

Sifer
Also, if anyone watches the trailer - that aint Frodos hand the ring is in at the beginning smile

turin
i believe it is smeagols. i think they are going to a flash back of him when he killed deagol for it.

Fire
Gabriel once the movie is out, there is no point in using spoiler tags smile

mah
True.

Fire
ofc. I never lie

GABRIEL05
right on!

Fire
hehe

Aragorn#1
I cant wait till the movie comes out Ill be so happy!!!
I hope RotK at least wins some awards ttt only won a few, from what I heard. It probably didnt win much because all people care about this generation is drugs, sex, and violence with guns, stupid idiots!!! mad

ugthebarbarian
i agree. i dunno about you guys, but i thought Chicago was just dumb. It was just... pointless. The Two Towers was so much better, it had the drama, the comedy, the romance, while Chicago had a couple of convicted attention-craving women who killed their husbands....

ugthebarbarian
but to stay on topic, yeah rotk will be the best movie ever. unless they make a silmarillioin movie or something like that. I've never done the spoiler b4, lets see if it works: /spoiler I am personally looking forward to Eowyn and Merry battling Angmar (The Witch-king). /spoiler

ugthebarbarian
oops guess that didn't work ! =P

ugthebarbarian
how do u do it?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.