The Chiang Picture (Spoiler)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

razman
Here it is:
http://www.aldera.net/aaPics/chiangpainting.jpg
This is meant to be a painting by Doug Chaing of the final lightsabre battle between Count Dooku, Anakin and Obi-Wan.

Ushgarak
That's the final battle? Must have been before they finalised the sabre colours, then, because Dooku has a red sabre in the film, and the only two candidates to be him (Anakin will be double-sabre guy) are not using red.

razman
Why do you think Dooku will have a red saber?

Ushgarak
Well, I'm certain that is him with a red sabre in that earlier select pic.

phinney6
nice Painting!

Darth Pants
Yeah, its spoilers like that that are hard to disprove. Anyone can say "Jango gets killed by Mace" but to come up with such an intricate piece of art in the style of Doug Chiang is something else completely...
I like the look of the ship. I was afraid from the earlier rumours that it would look like some sort of stupid galleon thing. Still, it may unfold when in space.
That's also one flexible looking Sith lord, can't see that Christopher Lee will be in such good shape.

Ushgarak
Yes, SOMETHING is not quite right, somewhere...

Darth Pants
Anyone remember a rumour very early on that Robin Gurland requested pictures of Christopher Lee when he was young? The idea that he'd rapidly 'anti-age' when he fought had captured my imagination, it would seem the only way we'd get the 'better than TPM' fights we've been told we can expect.Still, it's a cheesy idea and wouldn't go well in Star Wars.
Notice the hangar it's showing...seems the rumours that the buildings would be made from rock themselves may be true. It does look a lot like the select pic.

Ushgarak
There is a certain brilliance to the sort of fighting style someone like C Lee would have to use.

But I reckon the sabre colours are just messed up because this was a very early pic.

queeq
I think the guy with the two red sabres is supposed to be Dooku, really. There was a report about Dooky fighting with two sabres at one point. I think the one on the left is in fact OB1 and the other one is Anakin.

IMHO OC.

Ushgarak
I heard double-sabre dude was Anakin.

But still, who knows, eh?

Darth Pants
Yes, I bet sabre colours are some fidgety thing that only gets decided just before they're rotoscoped by ILM. Doug Chiang's probably just told to draw some kind of sabre type weapon.
As for Lee's fighting style, you're right.Too see a Sith who fought with efficiency rather than power would be a refreshing change, and a greater display of discipline than anything else could be. If you've studied fencing before, you'll know just how little movement is needed for an effective parry. I couldn't get my head round it at first, it seemed too simple.

Ushgarak
Oh, as we discussed at the old board, if sabres were 'real', it would ALL be fencing. The sword fighting they are using is ludicrous. But that's not really the point.

queeq
Yes, I did some fencing in high school. It takes sometimes very little movements to properly parry. Although, with light sabre fighting the blows are a lot more powerful. I wonder if basic fencing technique would stand to that. Does anyone know what happens when a Kendo-expert meets a fencing expert?

Darth Pants
I know what happens when samurai meet fencers, the samurai get pasted. They're designed to be one hit killers, katana are meant to be used for one slash, and are then sheathed again. Fencers are used to prolongued fighting.

Ushgarak
That's the point with sabres. They wouldn't NEED power- one poke would kill your opponent. Fencing, concentrating on centre-play, would be superior to ANY other form, with their extraneous movements.

Darth Pants
Yes, a massless blade would be momentumless,I think the style of fighting would be completely different to what we actually see. Fencing, as boring as it is, would be the superior style.

Ushgarak
Maybe we should bring that thread back... though actually, we have covered most of it here.

queeq
It's fascinating though. I don't know too much about it, but when I see those Kendo training schools with the fast continuous slashing, it seems hard for a fencer to fight that properly. But then he watches a lot, parries and pokes at the right time. Hmmmm, interesting.

Ushgarak
All he needs is control of the centre- as Obi-Wan always keeps in thr ANH duel, which was a fencing match- and most the Kendo moves become useless.

Jameous Woodshire
Thats a great painting.
Is that really from Doug Chiang?

Also dont fret over who is weilding what sabres. Remember when ESB Ralph McQuarrie's concept arts were releaced? Some of it looked nothing like what happened like luke paddeling his X-wing like a swamp boat. Others were very close like the Ion gun on Hoth.

cool

krautrocker
asfor it being real , well there is a still i've seen somewhere from the making of ep 2 video , where on the boards behind doug there is a little piece of a picture that does resemble the one above. Howevere it is blurred and maybe somebody else saw this and has construvcted a clever fake. does anyone else have any other examples of his concept art? Does it compare in style etc ?

ratcat
To be hnest, I found this to be more in the style of Ralph McQuarrie than Doug Chaing.

The owrk that Chaing has done on his website is much crisper. This certainly does compare with a lot of the earlier McQuarrie stuff that he did for ESB and ROTJ.

IMHO OC.

queeq
And for ANH. And I agree with RC, it looks much more like McQuarrie. I saw Chiang's art work in the book Making of TPM and it is different from this style.

ratcat
Additionally, at the Art of Star wars they had work from both artists on display and there again you could see a marked difference in the styles. I'm no artist, but they were distictly unalike.

Ushgarak
Raz- care to comment on the origin of this one?

ratcat
This originally got sent into Aldera.Net which is where Raz found it. I only know this cos that's where he's linking the picture from.

To be honest, I have never much replied of Charles for accurate information.

Ushgarak
Ah, thank you

queeq
Is there an autograph at the bottom?

razman
Yeah, RC's right. Theres no actual proof thats it by Chiang....for the fact that LFL haven't told him to remove it yet.

queeq
Maybe it's a very early design for ANH or something. I have a set of leaflets of the ANH design McQuarrie did, and it's all so similar. The faces, the way the sabres are drawn. In fact the jumping black guy with the two sabres that is what reminded me of McQuarrie most.

ratcat
I really wouldn't like to take a judgement call on who that artist was to be honest.

ratcat
uh, yeah???

Anyway, appears that the picture in question may have been on the wall behind Mr. Chaing during the 2nd Episode-II feature that was posted last week. Not sure if that means it's his or not.

Darth Pants
Hmmm... master and apprentice fighting one Sith Lord in a hangar...rumoured battle with droid army...mission to disable droids via the control ship, TPM, anyone?

ratcat
By Jove, I think he's got it!!!!!

queeq
It's not a judgement call, more like a moment of keo i.e. confusion.

razman
Surely Geroge wouldn't do THAT!

Darth Pants
Well, we've seen the destruction of two Death Stars, why not show us the destruction of two control ships, the deactivation of two droid armies and two 2 on 1 lightsabre duels in two hangars?

queeq
Makes sense though. Maybe Maul HAD two sabres before they decided to stick them together. Apparantley Lucas saved the idea for Ep2.

And the Jedi on the left does bear a resemblance to Qui-Gon Jinn.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.