Lucas a racist!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

phinney6
A lot of people Think that Lucas is a racist because of the language of jar-jar (Which was a language of african's) But Remember that 3 main characters in SW are black (Lando, Captain Panaka and Mace) How could he be a racist?

JediOasis
Cause some people like to cause trouble for the sake of causing trouble and they have nothing better to do. Some people are just stupid, Lucas isn't racist, they are just jealous of all his success.

Ushgarak
You missed out the Chinese thing for the Neimoidians

But yes, it's all nonsense, he is the most enormous ANTI-racist.

ratcat
I think anyone would be able to see though that lie, especially when you consider that Lucas comes from a culture where they were the victims of racial hatred and persecution.

Darth Pants
Some of the accents used are down to the actor's/actress' choice, Andrew Secombe decided to play Watto with an Italian accent for example.

Ushgarak
Sounded Mexican to me.

finti
The accent of the Neimoidians is in my mind Japaneese, and when ep I opened in Japan. (using subtitles) the crowd chared when the viceroy spoke.

krautrocker
A friend of mine who knows I am not a racist took great pride in pointing out to me that the stormtroopers bear an uncanny resemblance to a futuristic KKK in appearance. Of course you have to consider how consistently pap the stormtroopers are portrayed as being.

I strongly don’t believe that star wars is racist. We know that palpatine does have a dislike of 'aliens' but this is a man who is evil in the films and doesn't come across in a positive way at all. SO rather than encourage racism I think star wars discourages it and tries to relay a message of universal acceptance of all.

finti
Nah the Stormtroopers are way to smart for any resemblance with KKK. I used to live in Arkansas and ran into some of the KKK people They were actually proud to be a KKK member. Well these people are what you would call real rednecks/hillbillies with a problem in spelling thei own name. The real fear in KKK is if they get a smart person to run it, then they become extremly dangerous.
In the fact of SW being racial, no way just by talking in an accent and the fact they are the bad guys doesnt make racism.
Wait around to see the film of Paul Watson(Sea shepards leader and an extremist enviromentalist) and take a note on how we the Norwegian are going to be portrayed. We probably end up as the worst scum on earth.

queeq
The only stereotype in SW is casting a fat guy to play Porkins.

finti
True.

ratcat
huh? confused

queeq
Okay, guess I have to spell it out for you.

Pork= meat from pig, wich is equivalent to fat.

Fat guy - called Pork-ins - i.e. stereotype. Get it?

phinney6
Is there acually one KKK leader, I heard is was a guy called the Grand President and wore
a blue outfit

queeq
I think you mean the Grand Wizard.

darth fester
i thought watoo had a jewish accent

Dim
I've heard people say it's jewish and Italian..

Gundark
Watto sounded like half italian, half mexican. I don't think George is racist at all or tries to make his characters racist. The imperials don't like aliens, but then they're the bad guys..hellooooooo. The BAD guys.

queeq
"Bad" is just relative. I'm sure some Imps are really nice guys. laughing out loud

Dim
Maybe..but as a group, they're bad.

queeq
Sometimes. But they're good at finding things, like metal droid rings.

Dim
I wasn't under the impression that that was rocket science.

Ushgarak
Imps are Black hats... baaaaad to a man... and also baaad in the competence department, to look at them. Except for Vader and co it looks like Veers was the only efficient one out of the lot of them.

queeq
Veers was great. But so was that seventh Stormtrooper on the left.

Ushgarak
Him? He was baaadd...

queeq
Now you are confusing him with number 19. He is right behind him so he gets confused with no. 7 a lot.

Ushgarak
Tricky to do that, 19 was cut

queeq
Not on the widescreen. You can just see part of his helmet.

Darth Pants
But if you believe the EU stories, Veers was killed whan a Rebel pilot crashed into his AT-AT's cockpit. Not so efficient when he's smeared across several thousand red hot chunks of metal, eh?
As for the stormtroopers, they're not so hot either. It makes you wonder how many shots it took to kill Owen and Beru, I bet they could have run all the way to Mos Eisely to get away if they'd tried.

Ushgarak
Veers is fine; he was going to be in ROTJ at first.

queeq
All EU sources.

Darth Pants
Yeah, just kidding. He's the man, I remember thinking how cool he was for piloting an AT-AT, far more dangerous and action packed than being a Star Destroyer captain. Plus, he got the job done, a rarity for the Imps.

Ushgarak
The Imps could certainly count their talented officers on one hand...

queeq
I didn't catch Piett on too many mistakes.

Dim
Yeah..but most of them don't seem too bright..I mean. How hard can it be to shoot a teddy bear?

Ushgarak
Piett? Oh come on, just look at him... typical British Colonial Officer...

queeq
Even the British colonies lasted a while.

Dim
Yeah..until the colonisted decided not to fight by the rules.

Darth Pants
Piett seemed like a nice guy though, a problem GL seems to have qwhen portraing some Imperials. Stormtroopers, on the whole, seemed like nice guys, and Piett always came off as a weary, worried admiral, running around to avoid death at the hands of Vader. I once wasn't very well-up on Star Wars, and I was convinced that the Millenium Falcon escaping at the end of ESB meant Piett's death, until I saw him in ROTJ when I looked closely.

Ushgarak
In ROTJ at the request of fans, no less...

There is always this assumption that all Imperial characters are bad. GL wanted a very simple moral structure, which is why it is ok to kill all those countless thousnads on the Death Star.

Totally unrealistic, of course, but that is suspension of disbelief for you... after all, hard to sympatise with the Rebels if they are mass murderers of innocents. So GL made them ALL bad.

In the prequels, it is more difficult... but then who weeps for a battle droid?

Dim
laughing out loud Who weeps for a battle droid???...that's classic!

OKay, I can give you that all the Imps weren't bad..just followers..I guess that's more like reality. I mean, Luke wanted to join the Imperial academy right?

ratcat
Yeah, but he just wanted to pilot spacecraft.

Like a lot of people who join the military, the thrill comes first, the reality of war is a shock when it is realised.

Dim
Well, my point is I'm sure alot of those Imps started out the same way as Luke..just looking for a little adventure.

ratcat
Oh, I'm sure your right. Just look at Biggs. Though you have to include the missing footage that is in the novel for it to make sense that way.

Gundark
And you're all forgetting about poor old TK421. It wasn't his fault he got blasted by Solo you know.

Ratcat
But was it Solo?

Darth Pants
That bit never sat well with me. It was too quick and clean. There were about 2 seconds between the scanning crew going aboard and the "Hey down there, could you give us a hand with this?". Also, wouldn't there have been some blast marks on the stormtrooper's uniforms?

Ushgarak
That IS true. The assumption in that case is that they were thumped rather than shot, the shots could have been a distraction.

Darth Pants
Or they could have been wookified, but that would have been even messier.

Dim
Or maybe they shot the black parts (under the armor).

ratcat
But then they would have had holes...

queeq
Not if Chewie knocked their helmets off first and then blasted their brains out. Now, the MF may have been a bit messy, but that's just detail.

Darth Pants
Or he could have just twisted heads through 720 degrees. Bit grim this, isn't it?

queeq
But that wouldn't explain the blaster shots.

Unless... the stormtroopers fired them while they were being killed by Chewie.

Darth Pants
Erm.... well maybe they.... umm....
I think the likliest explanation is that they were simply shot, and GL neglected to consider the obvious evidence this would leave. Plus, the stormtrooper blasters don't make that kind of noise, Han's does, I think.

queeq
Well, it was muffled. Still, they walk around a lot in those uniforms. I'm sure he'd have thought of that continuity error. It's the crucial plot point on saving the princess.

ratcat
I think GL probably doesn't even care and the shot was just a neat sound effect... IMHO

queeq
Oh, how caring.

Maybe Ben Burtt made it up during editing.

ratcat
I think he was just a sound designer back then, wasn't it Gene Corso or something who was Sound Editior on the original sound score?

Jameous Woodshire
I thought the shots were from the Stormtroopers, but they could have been stun bolts, saving the armor, and then killed by Chewie later. The latter is unlikely.

That missing footage RC mentioned is on the Behind the Scenes CD. I was mad when I read the book and those scenes were missing (when I was 9), but after seeing them I'm glad they were left out.

The whinest Jedi was even more whiney and annoying. Biggs was cool and thats the parts I always wanted to see, but not Marks acting. (or lack of) in those scenes.

BTW I like Mark and think he's great, but its a running joke for me about the whiney Jedi. laughing out loud

queeq
They weren't very well acted alltogether though. And I still wonder how they would have fitted in. I'm sure they'd have had a negative impact on the flow of the film. It works like a charm now. And based on the acting it's better they left it out.

Same goes for the meeting with Biggs in the hangar before the DS Battle. They put it back in for the SE, but the acting and even the framing of the shots wasn't very good. Should have left that one out as well and put it in the DVD.

Dim
Yeah, it would have been nice if they had left that out and had cleaned up the Rancor pit scene.

queeq
Amen to that.

Ushgarak
But the time they invested in the dancing sequence was SO worthwhile...

Darth Pants
In the original version, can you see a wire attaching Sy Snootles' mouth to the microphone, or is it meant to be spit (lovely!!)? Looks like a wire either way. I can't even remember what the tune went like in that scene, I never watch the original versions of the old trilogy.

ratcat
I think the new Jabba Palace dance sequence is a vast improvement on the original version. Why they couldn't have redone the Rancor as an overlayed CGI of the puppet version, I do not know.

queeq
You can't remember Lapti Nek? It was a disco tune...

Anyway, it was better but it didn't really add anything to the movie. The money and efforts were better spent on the Rancor scene.

Darth Pants
Yeah, I thought that the only really improved scene was at the end of ROTJ SE, with those great shots of Bespin and Coruscant. Better music too, even though the Ewoks playing stormtrooper helmets were out of sync.

queeq
I kinda liked the Ewok Feats music. The new music seemed a little different from the other SW music. But the shots were nice, the thing I liked about it, is that the fall of tyranny liberated the entire universe and not just a bunch of rebels and teddy bears on a forest planet.

ratcat
I think that was more done to give us a first look at Coruscant than anythng else, sort of a prequel preview if you will.

queeq
Yes, I guess so. But the pulling down of the Palpy statue was cool though. I wonder if we will see it get erected.

ratcat
I was thinking of that as I posted that last one actually. I hope so.

Darth Pants
Yes, it would be both awesome and distressing. Obviously, everyone would know he was a Sith Lord by that stage. That baffled me, the high ranking imperials treated Vader like he was alone in his belief in the power of the Force, surely the Emperor would have enforced these beliefs.

Vicky
In Return of the Jedi, when the staff at the incomplete Death Star find out that the Emperor is coming to oversee it's completion, they seem shocked. Maybe he was more of a shadowy in-the-background type of character, never really letting on the true extent of his powers. Then again, they feared him, so they must have had some knowledge of what he was capable of. I don't know, I'm contradicting myself.

ratcat
Kinda, but I think they more believe he wouldn't leave Coruscant.

There is reference in the original novel to the Emperor locking himself away on Coruscant. We'll see I guess.

Darth Pants
We may get a bit apprehensive if the prime minister came to see our workplace, not because they are Sith, they're just in a position of power.

ratcat
Yeah, but it was more than that. It was like total disbelief that he would even step foot on the deathstar, even though it was his pet project.

queeq
And Palpy is not as forgiving as Vader...

Dim
Talk about a rough work situation...It almost makes me feel sorry for the Imp officers.

queeq
For me they've always been the true heroes of the saga. big grin

Dim
Knowing you that doesn't suprise me. stick out tongue

queeq
Please explain.

Dim
You're backwards.. laughing out loud

Chewbacca
Lucas is Jewish? Anyways, that is a stupid retort to think Lucas is racist just because he has Jar Jar speaking an alien language, that might resemble an African language. It's just people trying to take him to court to make some easy money. It is a simple, pathetic scam, that by the sounds of it, was taken nowhere. I am so proud of our judicial system. roll eyes (sarcastic)

finti
Whose judicial system are we talking about? Remeber we are multi national on this board, I guess you mean the US system.

Chewbacca
Yeah I meant the US, I forgot, sorry. Anyways, yeah because of the US Judicial System, many people have filed lawsuits for such idiotic things which should be pinned on the prosecuters. One lady was suing the McDonald's Corporation because she spilled coffee on herself and said it was because the lid wasn't on tight enough. Another incident which happened in the city of Denver, a lady sued the Capital because she tripped on a crack in the sidewalk. The funny thing is the Judicial system will take these cases to the Supreme Court if they have to, they don't even have the balls to say "Quit your whining, your not dead."

finti
If I`m not wrong about the outcome of the coffee case is that she "won" a lot of money and the coffee cups have to have careful coffe is hot on them, by the way Lucas is no rasict. By leting the different characters talk english in different ways, you get the impression off they coming from different systems. At least I do.( a lot of different here roll eyes (sarcastic) )

DD
After the Storm Troopers looking slightly like the KKK, I wondered what other racial connections could appear in the Star Wars saga. Imagine how cool it would look with an enemy ship that's shaped like a swastika!
Or is that evil? Would Star Wars then be banned in Germany, because I've heard the swastika is illegal there. Still, the ship would look cool big grin

finti
No it would not be cool at all!!!!!!!

insanewookie
Oh please! He's creating a make-believe world, that (hopefully) doesn't have to conform to the narrow-minded goals of lame modern political correctness. The characters with "ethnic" accents are portrayed as neither being simply good or evil. They are a bit of both. These movies, as interesting as they are, are escapist entertainment. They are about good and evil, light and darkness; these are elements which exist within ALL of us. I think episode III will clear up the matter of the fine line between light and dark in the sw universe, as we see a man with the best of intentions, fall short of his promise and turn on those who "failed" him.

queeq
Hehehehe, DD IS back. Kinda reminds me of Mel Brooks' ships in Jews in Space, shaped like the Star of David. laughing out loud

ThaJackal
Jar Jar does not sound like an african american, for god sakes, i never heard a black man who sounds like JAR JAR if he did he would get shot or put in a str8 jacket!
that was the most ignorant thing anyone said during the whole Ep1 box office run, its just people who hate lucas who wanted the movie to fail.
they said hmm JAR JAR is played by a black guy so lets turn it into a racist issue, its retarded and pointless to even argue with ignorant morons who come up with this shit.
it pisses me off how people hear some BS like this and they run with it all over the news, its so freakin stupied, if a white guy had played JAR JAR what they would call that racist to have a white guy play JAR JAR?
its freakin idiotic!
JAR JAR is an alien nuff said, not black or white, just an alien he is a gungan get over it people!
geez!!

queeq
Look at the dog!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.