Tusken Raiders: Accurate or Not?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kwenn
I saw this letter in the latest UK SW Magazine, and I wondered if anyone could figure it out?
Someone wrote in and said there was a continuitry error. In ANH, when they see the destroyed Jawa sandcrawler, Ben says that "These blast points are too accurate for sand people (Tuskens)", yet they can still hit a 600mph Podracer engine from a cliff face in Ep1! Hmm.... eek!

ratcat
Actually, I think that was more luck than anything. They didn't hit with every shot did they?

Kwenn
Most of em. Two hit Anakin's racer, and 1 hit Teemto's. cool

ratcat
But those are the ones we saw, and it was aprojectile weapon. Perhaps they're just no good with blasters???

Ushgarak
I don't think they were projectile weapons, much as they lookedlike they were.

Mind you, I've opften wandered if Obi-Wan's line in ANH is more to do with the weapons Tusken Raiders were meant to use, rather than how good a shot they were meant to be.But of an extrapolation, though.

ratcat
I think they were fireing bullets, there's a clear ping of a ricochet in one shot, I'm sure.

Ushgarak
Indeed there is, and they look and sound very projectile as well. But in the first side-on shot of them firing just as Anakin enters the Canyon Dune turn, the Raider at the back fires his gun and clearly produces a laser shot.

Likewise, the shot that produces the richochet is seen in laser form, and the pod that gets destroyed by them has laser shots pinging all around it before it goes down.

Kwenn
In the Jedi Power Battles game, Tuskens use projectiles. And they don't use blasters: only gaderaffi sticks and rifles. smokin'

Darth Pants
In my opinion, Tusken Raiders are expert marksmen compared to stormtroopers. We see them bullseyeing pods, and stormtroopers can hardly hit a stationary target at 10 metres. I could never make out the blast points anyway, the whole sandcrawler looks charred to me. Also, if you watch modern day fighter planes firing bullets, they look like laser shots as they fly through the air. Fast glowing yellow streaks.

Ushgarak
True, but that wasn't tracer fire (for several reasons). It was clearly meant to be laser fire.

Zereil
I dont know maybe the laser bolt look was tracer fire. Besides wish OB1 said the Tuskans arent good with blaster and lets face it the burns on the crawler couldn't be done by projectiles. Perhaps one of two things, one is the Tuskans are rubbish with blasters when they get hold of them they are used to a greater kick from their weapons, or two how about OB1 just basically instead of having an indepth coversation about it and why its most likely to be Stormtroopers he just gave him a palm off and siad blimey governer theres no way it was the Tuskens...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.