Coolest aspect of Ep I

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Texas
Episode I had a lot of cool new stuff i.e. double bladed lightsaber, pod races, etc.. What do you think was coolest about Ep I?, I personally think the destroyer droids were awesome, the way they roll, fold outwards, and their shields, WOW! That really rocked my tofu!!

Gundark
What impressed me the most was the way Qui Gon and Obi Wan handled their sabers. The swordplay was far superior to the OT. I know some people think the fight scenes weren't that great, but just MHO.

Darth Pants
The mood of the podrace was great, but for me the best aspects were those continued over from the OT. I got mega back-tingles when I heard the hum of the sabres booming out over the speakers.

Ushgarak
Qui-Gon. Qui-Gon Qui-Gon Qui-Gon.

Qui-Gon. Qui-Gon Qui-GonQui-Gon. Qui-Gon Qui-Gon Qui-Gon. Qui-Gon.Qui-Gon. Qui-Gon Qui-Gon Qui-Gon.Qui-Gon. Qui-Gon Qui-Gon Qui-Gon.

I thought it was Qui-Gon, see? Laim neeson was spot on.

Darth Pants
Damn, you didn't spell it wrong once! Yes, he was great in the role. His character always sticks in my mind as a bit lacking in wisdom, though. Just slightly too clumsy. I keep getting flashes of him being smacked in the gob and run through.

ratcat
He was somewhat of a maverick I feel.

For me it had to be Anakin Skywalker. Everybody slated poor old Jake Lloyd for his acting but he was SPOT ON.

He was supposed to play and excited and enthused 9 year old, who enjoyed his life, no matter how bad, but who also had dreams and aspiriations.

Jake Lloyd did just that. People ran down his "Yipppeeee!", but for the type of 9 year old he was that was perfect. Everything about the 9 year old Anakin was supposed to portray an innocent. I think it will become more apparent as we see the Anakin of 10 years later. We need to see a stark change and I think we will, then maybe people will understand the Anakin of 9 years old a little better.

Ushgarak
Oh, I agree... I'm a big JL defender as well...

finti
well I`m not he was as annoying as Jar Jar.

Texas
JL sucked! too wooden!

Pikachu
I agree with RC & Ushgarak.

Jake Lloyd gave the exact performance he was supposed to. A nine year old kid.

What did people expect?

ratcat
There's nothing like indepth analysis and that was nothing like indepth analysis...

I wonder if the people who have made the disparaging comments above actually have kids of there own?

darth fester
for me it has to be jar jar he was brilliant his voice his moves

and boy did he make me laugh brilliant lets hope we have more jar jar in episode 2

finti
There are other kids in hollywood who actually do very good performances like the kid who played in the sixt sence.

Texas
Exactly Finti, Lucas should of gotten Hailey Joe Osment.... I dont know if they have 'Smuckers Jam' in Europe, but in America JL is an actor in most of there commericals, and in the commericals, he plays a sweet innocent little kid, the difference is that in the commericals, he actually acts we'll, not like in Episode I where he stinks! (A little more indepth analysis for RC) wink

Ushgarak
HJO would have been a terrible idea as far as I am concerned; he plays a whole different sort of kid in his movies.

I think JL got across the idea of what a young Anakin would have been like VERY well.

DARTHWALKER77
THE BATTLE BETWEEN MAUL AND OBI-WAN WAS THE BEST PART FOR ME...MADE ME THINK IF OBI WAS "RELEASING HIS ANGER, ONLY HIS HATRED COULD DESTROY MAUL"

Jameous Woodshire
I think he may have had some anger flowing, but I also think that when Qui Gon was meditating before Maul was released, he transfered some of his power to Obi, just like Obi did to Luke in ANH.

"If you strike me down I shall become more powerfull than you can possably imagine."

King Jedi
Maul
the young kick-ass Obi-Wan
the JC
Coruscant
Otah Gunga
Jar Jar
Watto
Podrace
Duel Of The Fates
the soundtrack
R2's introduction
Padme and Anakin
Jake Lloyd
Battledroids
The Trade Federation
Palpatine
The underwater chase

I loved the film!

Ushgarak
While I pretty much agree, I know most fans take great issue with at least two of those choices. Actually, I must say I didn't think much of the Underwater Chase (may be better in the DVD)

jedi212guy
What are some specific things that Texas disliked about JL? I thought he did a fine job. I liked the underwater chase. I found it to be rather humerous.

LanceWindu
I LOVED THE WHOLE FILM!!!

yerssot
Maybe the Wizzard and the Jippie part?

sand person no. 10
i liked the start, the first 10 minutes, Jedi intro and action, bad guys intro, opening music, and erm... oh of course Natalie Portman! wink

yerssot
And because she is in the whole movie, you also like the whole movie

King Jedi
Everyone here is so easily pleaeed. Natalie Portman reading a newspaper for an hour and you'd watch it. laughing out loud

I heard really bad things about Jake Lloyd before I saw the film so I was really suprised at how good he was.

yerssot

jedi212guy
Oh yes. I really enjoyed Dual of the Fates. But I would have liked if the soundtrack had been like the others and gone in more of a chronological order. sad

yerssot
?? don't follow (again)

LanceWindu
YUP.

sand person no. 10
i must agree big grin

King Jedi
Well she said she might not continue acting so you never know.
You could be getting weather reports from Queen Amidala.

ToMacco
Hey

Haley Joel Osmend DID try out for the part of Anakin. But Lloyd got it instead. Isn't that f&*#@d up? Lucas dropped the ball on that one, because Osmend went on to do "The Sixth Sense", and he got nominated for an Oscar. Lloyd was slammed for his performance.

HavocHound
For me, it was Jar Jar who really put me in the movie. He's just like me except with a better attitude. I'm clumsy. I'm a misfit. I'm socially inept. But I also have a more prominant dark side than Jar Jar. Other than that, we're practically brothers! smile

A lot of people think that you have to be a kid to like Jar Jar. That's too subjective. After all, you can be a kid at heart at any age. I'm a 21 year old guy and I can't get enough Jar Jar! He's such a refreshing, non-rehash, unique type of character. Jar Jar is both unique and historical at the same time. He follows the classic Joe Camblian "Hero's Journey" more closely than any other TPM character. He also follows the archetype of the good-natured fool - a timeless archetype from historic literature.

There are lessons to be learned from Jar Jar, as with all characters and themes from a grandiose masterwork like the Star Wars saga. Jar Jar has many dog-like qualities and dogs have plenty of virtues. Dogs also have a certain healing ability that comes from their unconditional love. Jar Jar, like a dog, is loyal to the right people and the right cause, regardless of his own shortcomings. Also, his shortcomings are not his fault. Practically anyone who was banished from their society and even from their own kind (Jar Jar was declared to be no longer a "true" Gungan) and sent to live in isolation - regardless of the reasons - would have turned out to be just as socially inept as Jar Jar.

As inept as Jar Jar is socially, he's also sympathetic. This aspect of his character really shows his duality. He's both comedy and tragedy. He's both a clown and a martyr (or will become a martyr - no way to know for certain). He swings from awkward to somber, his somber side being revealed when he speaks with Amidala at the window on Coruscant. It's likely that we'll see this side of him more often as the Saga progresses but it's also likely that he's always retain that half-optimistic/half-pessimistic eternally-lovable nature that defines him.

yerssot
A true Jar Jar lover!

Ushgarak
There are a lot of people here who defend both Jar-Jar and Jake Lloyd.

I will repeat that Lloyd did the exact job he was told to do, was as good as he could have been seeing the lines he was given, and that was NOT a Haley Joel soirt of part; he plays reserved kids not manic ones.

JL played a brash kid pretty darn well, I thought. Just that, ineviably, most people don;t like brash kids in movies.

Texas
You can type cast actors, they can play what there suppose too, just becaus Osment plays characters that are reserved doesn't mean that he couldn't play a character like Anakin roll eyes (sarcastic) Like Tomocco said, Lucas dropped the ball on that one!!!!

Ushgarak
Not at all. Different actors tend to be good at different things, doubly so as children. I maintain that JL plays a better brash kid than KJO could.

sand person no. 10
i think a cgi anakin would have been the most suitable actor, perhaps with a little black robe and acme.

yerssot
acme?
You know Jedi are perfect!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.