luke in black

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

darth fester
why in rotj does luke wear all black and not traditional jedi brown

he went to jabbas palace as a jedi knight so he should have dressed like one

have i got a point here

JediOasis
Yeah, even Mark Hamil said to Lucas "This looks to Vaderish." And Lucas said "that is the idea." Lucas wanted to make wear the similar garb because he wanted people to wonder which way Luke was heading.

Plo Koon
I reckon it would have been much cooler if Luke had joined the Dark Side at the end of ROTJ. The soppy ending kind of spoiled it, and it would make the EU novels much more interesting. evil face

queeq
Now, that's nonsense. It's a fairy tale and fairy tales oughta end well. And EU, well, forget about that too. big grin

I had hoped this black outfit would be the Jedi outfit. Too bad. The brown robes OB1 and Owen wore seemed like farmer's clothes to me.

I remember a comic from several years back (okay, EU, sorry big grin ) which feature OB1 in his younger days. Younger in the sense of ANH younger. He wore black like Luke did there. I'm sure the brown robes were not thought to be traditional Jedi robes until TPM.

Ushgarak
That's right. The robes were originally Tatooine farming gear. They were turned into Jedi uniform some way into TPM's development. May people thought Luke's ROTJ costume was the official Jedi uniform, and at some points in TPMs development that wasn't far wrong...

Gundark
I think George was right in putting Luke in black for ROTJ. Luke had already been tempted by Vader at the end of ESB. Why wouldn't a tiny part of him want to join his father, even on the dark side ? There would be no point for his renouncing the darkness to the emporer if he hadn't wrestled with it awhile first.

Zereil
He did join the Dark side and then return to the light side in Dark Empire, and the Graphic novels are connected to the Books as mentioned by the Heir to the Empire links. Anyway as to Luks look, a) no one had mentioned to him as part of his training that Jedi have a fashion sense and b) Everyone looks better in Black..

Ushgarak
Ooh! Watch the revolving Dark Side door... you go in, you go out, who cares! Some of these EU authors had no sense of perspctive.

He did look DAMN good in black...

queeq
Isn't there some kind of EU ban outside the EU Forums? laughing out loud

Luke's black clothes also had to do with this great colour scheme Lucas applied in the OT. Luke wore white (of innocence) in ANH, brown in ESB (for growing up) and black for maturity in ROTJ. So Lucas did a lot of thinking about this. I think it's a tad unfortunate that Jedi robes are just farmer's clothes.
On the other hand, Lucas always had the vision of the Jedi being a bit like monks. In that sense this dress sounds fine. But Anakin might be the kind a kid to prefer black as well in later life. wink

Zereil
As I said everyone looks better in Black...

queeq
Even me! laughing out loud

Gundark
I felt Luke was more "khaki" in ESB than brown. But of course everyone looks good in black. smokin'

ratcat
I seem to remember a promo picture of Luke in that suit and it was actually a very pale tan and not as brown as when we see him in it. All that sweat and grime I guess.

queeq
Light brown, khaki, light tan.... still the same symbolism.

Gundark
Well if you knew your crayolas as well as I do it could have easily been burnt sienna, you know. laughing out loud

D-120
I HVAE NO LCUE WHAT I AM DOING I KNOW HWO TO POST BUT I DONT KNOW HWO THINGS ARE STE UP OR NAYTHING I HAVE NEVER BEEN A MEMEBR OF A MESSAGE BOARD... COULD SOMEONE HEEEEEELLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPP confused confused confused confused confused confused confused confused

Tim

ratcat
Well, your previous 3 posts were fine.

Simple rules:

1. In the sections stay on topic.
2. All Chit, Chat in The General Discussion
3. Be polite

Something like this would be better in the Support Forum for instance...

Oh, and cut the CAPS LOCK, it's rather irritating and means you are shouting.

Dim
Actually..GL said that Luke ROTJ costume was more "jedi-like" What does that mean?..considering that that GL didn't have anyone in TPM in a costume like that. But instead it looks a bit more like Maul's to me.

Ushgarak
When did he say this, Dim? The timing of that statement could explain a lot.

ratcat
Actually, if you look closely at the cut and design of Luke costome in ROTJ and compare it to Obi Wans in TPM, they are very similar.

Because it is all black, it is very hard to see the shape but you definatly have the under smock, with the two part jerkin over the top and a best holding it in place. It's seen to best effect during the desert skiff battle.

Gundark
Now that you bring up the skiff battle...well actually before that...remember when Han was released from the carbonite and he rolled over and his shirt was all dirty on front ? Did you notice it was amazingly clean after that scene and also on the skiff ?

Darth Pants
He was a bit sweaty too, though. If he dried off & the dirt wasn't ground in, it'd have been easy to brush off. Now if you'll excuse me, I'll stop talking, the idea of a sweaty Harrison Ford isn't something I want to discuss.
As for Jedi costumes, I don't read too much into their colour or shade. Look at the preliminary sketches for TPM, or at Anakin's costume in Ep2.

ratcat
And where did the elbow binders go????

Dim
He said that, Ush, in the documentary that come out with the OT (blue) box set.. Pre-SE. It came out in the mid 80's I think.

ratcat
If you look at the Art of ROTJ you can see what lucas means by this, and the analogues to the TPM costumes as well.

queeq
But Maul's suit looks like that as well. Same style of cut.

ratcat
I agree, though the tails of the over jerkin are longer and the shoulders more pronouced, but basically the designs find thir routes in a very similar place I feel.

queeq
Obviously fashion changes a bit over 38 years.

Ushgarak
But not technology...

Darth Pants
Well, technology seemed to have become more primative. E.g. Ep1 electrobinoculars compared to original trilogy, and holoprojector technology. Large holoprojectors in the original episodes took up, like, an entire room. Sidious seemed to be able to appear wherever he wanted to.

Ushgarak
Well, after so many years some stagnation is inevitable, especially after all the trouble.

ratcat
Long term war can do that.

ChelsiJediKnight
What can I say like father like son. Think about Luke is so much like his father. And I believe, if it was real, that he did it as a force upon him. Something telling him not to go as a regular Jedi Knight. wink

ratcat
One thing that occurred to me today. Where would Luke have got the design for such a suit from. It is widely accepted, though unproven I admit, that all records of the jedi were destroyed during the Purge. Did Luke run off and do some research in between movies then?

Ushgarak
The gap between Episodes V and VI is real vague of course... well, we know he didn't go to Dagobah... best guess is that he got some idea at Obi-Wan's old place.

Darth Pants
Or just through general Force hints. Mind you, I thought that he got sabre design ideas at Obi Wan's place, so maybe there was some other info there.It ould have been bone idle of Yoda and Obi Wan to wait all those years and not make an attempt to record some Jedi history....

Ushgarak
The Radio Drama certainly has him building his sabnre with instructions from Obi-Wan's place; however, as this was lifted from Shadows of the Empire it is not really canon.

ratcat
NO it's EU, like I said. Radio and Shadows are EU, right?

Ushgarak
Offically, the Radio Dramas are canon, bur as I explain in the Canon thread, they are beguinning to look shaky. The SOTE lifted bits are not canon at all.

ratcat
There was some EU talk about a Holocron at Obi Wans place but not sure if that's true in EU lore?

ratcat
Well, that's debateable, depending on where you stand on this issue of levels of canonical applicability.

jedi212guy
I don't think that it matters what color Luke wore. I think that he was trying to look intimidating. After all, he is the last Jedi. What made him decide to choose a green lightsaber anyway?

ratcat
Maybe he had great taste in saber colours. wink

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.