OT/PT Music

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lyn
I LOVE SW music!! big grin
I just wanted to know what other people thought, and also what pieces were their favourite.
I like all of it but my favourites are:
Across The Stars, Duel Of The Fates, May The Force Be With You, Imperial March
Just to name a few... happy

yerssot
those you mentioned are nice smile (across the starts being my less favorite of those though)

I also like "the invasion of Naboo" or at least I think it's called that

Ushgarak
I think any sane person would like Duel of the Fates and the Imperial March.

Lyn
I haven't heard the "Invasion of Naboo" piece, sad
Is it on TPM soundtrack??

Right on Ush thumb up

yerssot
er... yeah, was made for that one, should look up the correct title I suppose

Lyn
I've been trying to find the Ep1 soundtrack and all the others too.
My mum was out shopping and she said she saw all of them on sale. There was Ep1 and a compilation thing of the trilogies!!
Can't believe I wasn't there sad

yerssot
woops! still haven't searched it! I'll try to remember it next time I get upstairs lyn!

Lyn
Sok thumb up Just like the chat happy

JediHDM
i agree with Lyn and Ush, Duel of the Fates is the greatest music, even better than Matrix, and Imperial March is classic...

yerssot
think it's either number 7 or 13 messed
still haven't searched

Lyn
Right on JediHDM thumb up
Don't worry Yerssot...I'll get the soundtrack, someday...sad

yerssot
*hits head against wall*
I have the cd here all along! I brought it with me messed

it's number 14 smile

Darth Hater
i LOVE the imperial march evil face devil

Lyn
Number 14?? Thanx Yerssot... thumb up
Darth Hater *nods* thumb up

Captain REX
They also have that TPM disc where it has a TON of unreleased music...

Duel of the Fates and Imperial March are my two favorites right off the bat. I have plenty more, such as Palpatine's Theme. That low moaning noise is so...evil!

Lyn
I SOOO wanna hear it now...laughing

yerssot
have you heard the invasion of Naboo now?

Lyn
Nah...I don't have it. sad
I think I'll probably get it for Christmas or something...

yerssot
THAT far away???

grab a plane and I'll let you listen to it over here!

Lyn
laughing

mindbugaling
i love other john williams pieces too! i was at the 20th ann. of the ET showing with johnny conducting a live orchestra, i have to admit, i got a little emotional embarrasment

Darth Revan
Duel of the fates.. Is that the one they play when Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon are fighting Maul? Cuz that one kicks ass. So does the Imperial March.

yerssot
yes, that's duel of the fates

mindbugaling
i love how JOHNNY music kicks ass!!!

Darth Jello
for me the music is the highlight of the movies. It's probably why i like the prequals better. Thought the acting may not be that great, williams has grown as a composer tremendously since the first 3. My fave theme is probably what I call the "Chant of the Sith" it's what plays for the emperor and I don't know the actual name. I've heard lucas say that he writes his movies to music and then tells williams what he wants to hear. so i'll make a prediction based on his use of Stravinsky's the Rite of Spring when writing episode 4. The Obi-wan/vader duel in ep 3 will have music reminiscent to the sacrificial dance in that ballet.

yerssot
er... that's either sidious theme (or so it's named on the disc I have) or also the imperial march

Darth Jello
its sidous' theme then, I've just been calling it the theme or chant of the sith because it sounds very ancient

yerssot
or perhaps the death star-theme messed

now I'm getting confused

mephistodesigns
it's called the Emperor's theme in the ROTJ SE soundtrack booklet.

yerssot
thumb up

Lyn
I agree mindbugaling, his music does kick ass!!

Darth Revan
Oh damn I love the one they play in the background when you see Palpatine for the first time.

JOHNNY KICKS ASS!!!!!!!!

Lyn
ME TOO!!

I AGREE!!

I WAS SOOOO HOPING PEOPLE LIKE YOU WOULD FIND MY LITTLE THREAD!! Happy Dance

Darth Jello
i think someone already mentioned this, but a duel of the fates played two octaves lower at durge pace would be nice for the ep 4 vader/kenobi duel. also, how about some nice duel of the fates chanting ala ep 1 for the scene in ROJ where vader finds out about leia.( Oshinanta...Koratama). oh and a louder choral crecendo when palpatine is vaporized

mephistodesigns
no way, they shouldn't touch the OT music at all. If anything, add more of it to the PT soundtracks.

Darth Jello
they already are, sorry, john willaims said so in an interview

mindbugaling
well hes done it with the force theme, the emperors theme, darths theme, main title, and a little bit of yodas theme

Dirty Vader
The Battle of Endor themes are brilliant. Even though I didnt like the
ANH sountrack that much(compare to the others, its still great), the Battle of Yavin is a nice theme.

mindbugaling
yeah i used to think that to but, i think that the old recording from the 70's gives it a digusting sound, imagine if the entire ANH soundtrack was re-recorded.....

mephistodesigns
they should re-record the entire OT soundtrack, ROJ is so muddy and filtered. BUT NO CHANGES! You hear me GL? Leave it alone, let it "escape" the way it is for once

mindbugaling
wink

Darth Jello
As long as its AAD and has some of the themes from the prequals interwoven and some genuinely new music i'll be satisfied. doesn't anyone else think its cool that anakin's theme is a major mode variation of the imperial march or that the horrid parade that ends episode 1 is the same kind of variation of Palpatine's theme?

mephistodesigns
that parade sound nothing like palpatine's theme, who on earth said that? If its williams than i think it meds time for the old guy. Anakin's theme has been horribly underused. Its a really great piece of music and its really only in one movie. I love how the last 15 secs or so is a REALLY slow imperial march.

Darth Jello
listen to the kids choir, that motif they sing is a relative major transposition of palpatine's theme, we spent 20 minutes in music theory discussing that

mindbugaling
i got teary when i realized that darths theme was interwovin into anakins

mephistodesigns
dude, not even...

mephistodesigns
not you Mind, i was talking to Jello, just so you know

mephistodesigns
i think your music teacher was a little short on lessons that week. maybe because its William's STYLE he would tend to use similar arangements, but other than that I think you prof is reading to much into it.

Darth Jello
please don't make me break it down interval by interval to prove my point

mindbugaling
the intervels? well lets see...

the beginning of the emperors theme with the mens choir singing is a perfect 1st to a minor second then back to perfect 1, followed by a p1-m2-m4

looking at the parade: perfect 1st M2 p1 p1 M2 M4

it is the same intervels except in a major key..
so you were right jello to a degree...but why would williams put that at the end of Ep1? was it to show that palpatines plan is going as planned?

aslo- has anyone else notice that the 'flag parade' in the podrace is a variation of jabbas theme?

mephistodesigns
i think you're all mistaking Williams "style" (which lets admit, can be repetitive, still better than others, but still repetitive) for some sort of in-joke or foretelling. All of his themes are similar, Superman sounds like Star Wars, whole rifts from ROJ are in slower scenes of the Lost World. It's just style.

Darth Jello
what williams is doing is asking the viewer, "who is this really a victory for?"

Lyn
I LOVE that!! ((The slow Imperial March in Vader's theme..))
Are you talking about the section played in Count Dooku & Finale
after the end SW theme...thingie...??

Darth Jello
no, episode one during the ending parade where the children sing the ahs and las

Lyn
I don't think I've ever heard that... sad embarrasment

Lyn
Me too!!

yerssot
wow, haven't seen you around for a few days lyn messed

Lyn
Yeah...my Dad did the whole: "No more internet until you're exams are over..!!" thing. Mind you, it's more for my brother than for me. stick out tongue

I'm listening to Ep2 soundtrack at this very moment!! wink I'm up to the Arena....what do you guys think of that one?? I love how Across the Stars is incorporated throughout the piece...I love it whenever that's incorporated... stick out tongue

yerssot
good to see you back lyn smile

across the stars is great smile

mindbugaling
its the best!

Lyn
'Tis!! Happy Dance
Thanx Yerssot, mindbugaling!!

Darth Jello
I like "jango's escape" I can imagine a slow marching version of that and then seeing an army of mandalorian shocktroopers charging

mephistodesigns
interesting stuff about "who is the victory for" at the end of Episode 1. I guess its just an inside joke for him and anyone who understands it, but I still don't think style should be ruled out.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.