Question about FOTR

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

sentinelrv
I am reading the first book right now but can anyone tell me why they are digging the uruk-kai out of the ground. I don't understand how they can be alive and in the ground. And why doesn't the movie explain this?

Fire
cause it is a very irrelevant fact for the movie and I have no idea tbh

sorry

pinksuezo
tolkien was real real vague about orc society, never even mentioning orc women, which we can only spose existed cus of some reference i remember from one of de books or his later-notes which sed orcs reproduced liek other creatures.
the uruk hai were originally created-something like 50 yrs before the events in lotr- from breeding orcs with other creatures, possibly men. however, after their creation, they seem to multiply in other unknown, screwed up ways.

i remember reading somewhere (sorry im being so vague, but everythin i say is from what i *remember* reading about) that orcs were refferred to as maggot people, and that they somehow did spring from the ground.

Fire
orcs were elves long ago, atleast according to FOTR(saruman)
and gandalf says Uruh-Kai are the crossing of orcs and goblinmen if I remember correctly

pinksuezo
yeah that goblinmen reference bothered me.
anyway, when tolkien was writing the hobbit, he refferred to the orcs in the mountains as goblins, and later, when expanding his world in lotr, he mentioned the name goblin as a name for the smaller orc breeds in the misty mountains, orcs as the name for the ordinary ones, and he just mentioned hobgoblins.

FreeMason
No...I'm pretty sure it was because in the book Saruman had been brooding his army for a decade or some such thing, in the movie it had to happen in the equivalent of a week...at least, that's what I worked out of it. smile

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.