Harry Potter amazing names

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Danistar
There are many amazing and really unusual names in Harry Potter's books. Have you ever thought where Rowling took them from?

Look here:

http://www.theninemuses.net/hp/

frootlooplucy
she takes heaps of them from old myths and legends and stuff, and lots of them mean things that describe them... like Hermes, the owl, hermes was a winged messenger...or something... and others that i cant remember.

frootlooplucy
hey i just went to that site
"Arthur is a possible reference to King Arthur. The World Book says, 'There are two versions of the events that led to Arthur's death. Both say he fought a war against Roman emporer Lucius.'"
NOOO!! sadsad that cant happenno

Phoenix
Remus Lupin is obvously from Romulous and Remus, and Lupin is Wolf in Latin (I think)

robincooper
remus and lupin i learnt somewhere where both latin names for werewolf
..... so phoes prob abley right! thats what i think anyway, a lot of here charecteres were based on latin and centaur;centaurion? maybe i'm just guesing now!

Phoenix
lot are based on French too - Fleur Delacoeur - Flower of the heart

Voldemort - Flight of Death

Malfoy - bad faith ((i think))

Erin Felton
I'm pretty sure that's right. And Draco is Latin for Dragon

mg16
Mundungus means 'tobacco' because he always smells of his pipe

Danistar
O yeah? Do you know how we call him in Lithuanian? We call him Smirdzius which means Stinker.

Phoenix
cool!

daddy'sgurl
Can someone tell me if Harry Potter is something JK came up with herself, b/c I've heard that she got the Idea from legends and sorta added her own spin in parts that nobody really knew. Then I heard it was all her own idea. Has anybody else heard that???

crazy_c
she says she came up with it

mg16
Actually have any of you guys read 'Jane Eyre'? The beginning is VERY similar, evil gardiuns after parents die, went off to school, better life, very very similar, I think she got it from that. But Joanne is STILL a genius in my eyes! big grin

Phoenix
yeh, except at Jane's school she got starved and burnt meals etc

BOPRecruit 16
did you know that if you put Tom's name in a elven name generator, you'd get: Maglor Elanesse. cool huh?

snlovergirl
lupus is latin for wolf. theres also a wolf in the whole romulus and remus story. i know a lot of latin so if any of u want to know id be happy to answer any questions about latin!smile

Phoenix
hey, lovergirl, have ya seen equilibrium with Chris Bale in? he's so cool!

BOPRecruit 16
want to see more of hp actors/characters' names in elvish?

Laviera_j
Severus was a Roman general in the battle with Claudius and Britania.

snlovergirl
Absolutely! I have the dvdsmile

Phoenix
so do we!! ((got it half price in 'previously viewed dvds' sale!!))

Phoenix
give me two secs, guys. I think I remember a website which had all about names... I'll try and find it again... ((coulda been mugglenet?))

Phoenix
found one... but not the one I'm looking for...

http://www.theninemuses.net/hp/

Phoenix
here we go!

http://www.mugglenet.com/

I'll try and find the name page now...

Phoenix
this is it!!

http://www.mugglenet.com/books/nameorigins.shtml

Phoenix
for those of you who are lazy, I can post a few if ya want ((just ask which name ya wanna know))

check out the whole of mugglenet tho, its v. cool

BOPRecruit 16
you could've edited or kept all those links in one post you know.

nini
Dudley which is dud means a boring person in British slang. Theres A town named Dursley.

BOPRecruit 16
that makes sense.

Hegemon875
actually hermes was the greek messenger for the gods, not an owl.

Hegemon875
All Harry Potter fans should really step up to the next level and try reading the Lord of the Rings. Even if you don't fully understand it, and you won't after having been sheltered by the Harry Potter stories, you'll have grown in a literary sense and will be able to leave behind such childish stories such as J.K. Rowlings quaint little excursion into the world of witches and wizards and pursue a deeper understanding of great literature, namely the Lord of the Rings, the Silmarillion, and History of Middle Earth. Perhaps then you will see just how much you were missing out on.

snlovergirl
just because people read harry potter does not mean they r not well versed in other areas of literature. i think thats a very unfair, very broad judgement u have placed on people here.

BOPRecruit 16
indeed. *glare*

StrgzrCndyPixie
i have read lord of the rings as well

BOPRecruit 16
did you like it?

airangel429
So if Draco=Dragon I wonder if he could end up becoming an animagi and then it would be a dragon??? That would be weird...but cool.

BOPRecruit 16
no, i don't think he should.

airangel429
WELL IT wouldn't be good to have him as a dragon...but i do think he will be an animagi....

airangel429
THIS IS REALLY WEIRD....ESPECIALLY IF LUCIOUS MALFOY WILL TAKE FUDGES SPOT...OR BRING HIM DOWN

Laviera_j
hmmm...I am not sure i actually followed a lot of this conversation...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.