lighsabers

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

jedi212guy
What colors of lighsabers are available? Green, blue, red...What else? Do the Sith have any other choices for colors?

jedi212guy
DANG IT. Sorry about the misspelling. Lightsabers! There, that's better. roll eyes (sarcastic)

ratcat
There are two opinions on this as I understand it. One is that there are only a few colours available, as you have listed and the other says that there are practically an infinate number of colours available.

I hope it's the latter cos I reall wanna see a lot of variation in the colours.

Ushgarak
Well, aside from that only bad guys use red, thee is no consistent logical strucutre so far to how the sabre colours work. You CAN come up with one, but it is a bit extended.

Nor does there appear to be any good reason for a limited number of colours.

Yet RM has said there are only 3, and we are worried that this is straight from the mouth of GL... nothing proven yet, though.

We'll have tosee.

ratcat
In the EU the colours are determined by different combinations of crystals and precious gems. However, there is no real basis for this in the mainstream movies as yet.

ChelsiJediKnight
Honestly I would think they would have more colors than just Green, Blue, and Red. They should have colors like Black, Purple, or even clear. More than that even. I think it is dull just to see the same colors over and over again. I think (though it is a small matter) they should bring in a new color just to spice it up a bit. I think the light sabers are the coolest weapon on Star Wars. They should look the coolest, too. rolling on floor laughing cool

Ushgarak
Dare I point out that it should be spelt Ligthsabre, by the way? That's not just nit-picking; a sabre isn't the same as a saber.

IF there are only three colours, I would LIKE some sort of official reason for it, otherwise it just seems dumb.

ratcat
Yes, but throughout all of the Star Wars books I have, from EU to Art of ... to screenplays it has always been spelt Lightsaber.

I know that the word sabre, as in sword is spelt as you indicate, but Mr. Lucas, in his wisdom, chose to spell it L I G H T S A B E R. Dunno why, but he did. And as HE said it, it must be canon.... (Sorry! Couldn't resist. laughing out loud )

Ushgarak
That's just it, though. GL spelled it sabre in the original scripts and novel. So that is that.

jedi212guy
It doesn't matter how you spell it. In the Star Wars universe, the word lightsaber or lighsabre would be spelled like ;.>==}. smile

Darth Pants
What's the deal with Luke's lightsab** being white/pale yellow on the Millenium Falcon in ANH? Definately not as blue as it should have been. Anyone also noticed the difference in actual sab** handle sizes between the original and new trilogies? Qui Gon's was like a pencil, wheras in ANH, it looked like they were brandishing thermos flasks.

Ushgarak
It DOES matter how you spell it. You'd hardly be happy if he called it a Lightstereo, would you? They are sabres and not sabers. And GL always spelled it right.

Yes, the differences are marked... Luke's sabre was always meant to be blue, but the effect was always difficult. And of course they were able to make it all far more sophisticated for the new films.

ratcat
Well, perhaps George Lucas changed his mind. I don't know. If you wish to spell it R E, then that is fine, but others are spelling it E R.

I know that the spelling you refer to is the British one, would any Americans like to comment on the US spelling of the word SAB (RE/ER)? Is it R E or E R in the States? (Ush, please let the Americans answer this point)

case for "E R"

My 1983 ROTJ Novel speels it E R
My 1983 copy of Art of ROTJ spells it E R.
All current literature that I can find spells it E R.
The website and I think the Behind the Magic and Insiders Guide seem to spell it with E R rather than R E.
DARKSABER

case for "R E"

My 1980 copy of ESB spells it R E.
Ush says his 1977 copy od SW spells it R E.
In my 1977 marvel comic it is spelt R E.
The Oxford English dictionary spells Sabre with R E.

There seems to have been a change in the spelling at some point between ESB and ROTJ, though I do not know why. If we took a "latest information" type stance I think E R would have it at this point as all modern references to the weapon do appear to use the E R spelling. Anyone want to add a case on either side that isn't just a "Well that's wrong" rant?

Ushgarak
Actually, the Episode I Visual Dictionary spells it -RE

However, the point is that the most canonical source- the screenplays- spell it -re. There is also an imperfect case for saying the films say it is -re as well.

They are also also not sabers, as I have said, which is another point... so trhe dictionary spelling is not relevant. A SABER and a SABRE are DIFFERENT THINGS, not just the same thing spelt different.

As per your request, I will lay off commenting on the American spelling for now, though I don't see why...

RC- I assume your third point is a typo.

ratcat
OK, so the VD gives one more for RE...

Well, according to my Oxford English Dictionary, SABER is simply an American variation of the word SABRE. This may shed some light on the change. A shift from a primarily English workforce on ANH & ESB to a primarily American workforce on ROTJ and the PT maybe?

According to the OED, both words have the same meaning, with NO ALTERNATE MEANING for SABER listed. If you have one then let us have it. Though it will take some very strong convincing for me to accept your definitions over those of the OED.

I only asked you to let the Americans reply to that point as it would seem presumtious of us Brits to start telling them how they spell stuff. I'm still awaiting a US viewpoint on this to backup what the OPED says.

Also, the TPM screenplay spells it E R as well. . . . . . .

Ushgarak
The OED I read at the British Library was clear on this...(I'm a Napoleonic War enthusiast... blame my school's COD for that...)

A sabre is a straight-bladed infantry weapon, still used today in fencing. A saber is a curved cavalry man's sword, used for forward stabbing motions on men as you rode them down.

However, ONLY the Americans call it a saber, which is why I wanted to comment on their spelling. The Europeans called such a sword a Cavalry sabre. The Amercians started using the term saber for the cavalry weapon in the Civil War.

Obviously, spelling confusion of the two has been widespread ever since.

So, sabre and saber/cavalry sabre, two different weapons... the ones in Star Wars are clearly sabres.

All the published screenplays spell it -er these days, as do reprints of the original novel. This is just American publishing for you.

GL clearly defined it as a sabre early on, and as that is what they ARE, the definition sticks.

ratcat
Yes, that's the defination, but as an AMERICAN piece of work the spelling of Saber is surely correct.

Just as the spelling of colors would be correct over the spelling colours. It's a language difference basically, American English as apposed to British English.

And, as this thread was started by an American, I feel that the correct spelling was used. wink

Ushgarak
Er... no, as I have just pointed out. Americans still use the word sabre to spell the infantry weapon. They use saber for the cavalry one.

See?

ratcat
NO, because I'm waiting for the American viewpoint. No disrespect, but I have invited comment from our American friends already.

Anyway, as Lucas is currently using Saber in his screenplays and the spelling Saber has been in use pretty consistantly since the some time back in the 1980's then maybe Saber is the spelling Lucas wants us to use.

Besides, as this is the Star Wars universe, the dictionary definitions may not be applicable, just as in the "hell" thread.

I really don't know for sure, however with S A B E R being the predominantly used version in modern Star Wars literature, screenplays, website and most references I would say that GL's word is lore and that SABER stands.

IMHO OC...

Ushgarak
You seen Aussie sabre guy's opinion on this? He has saber done as a rude word on his forum, so it gets blanked...

He does have this strange idea that as the orinal novel spelt it sabre, nothing, nit evenlater films, can override that, which is a weird view...

Well, I know what is and isn't a sabre. And those are sabres. Your translation point s odd... they would be translated into the PROPER englush word... but never midn.

ratcat
Like I said, it's an idea. I just figured that as an American production, written by an American, etc.

I can see where you are coming from on the types of Sabre/Saber issue, but I don't know enough about that to comment.

I'm sticking with Saber cos I read a lot of the novels and they spell it that way, even in the UK editions.....

ratcat
The American Perspective

Just got an email from my web-friend Karen on this one...

Sent: 18 May 2001 23:21
To: [email protected]
Subject: SABER

I'm on my way home, but thought I'd tell you in an American dictionary, saber is the usual spelling. Under sabre it says chiefly British variation of saber.

Ushgarak
Well, they don't look like curved cavalry blades to me...

ratcat
But the may they are used? Is that style closer to a slashing cavalary style or a fencing style?

Ushgarak
Oh, they are clearly used much more like non-cavalry sabres. Cavalry sabres/sabers are not duelling weapons.

ratcat
Yeah, but I always fought of dueling as more the fencing style anyway and what we saw in TPM was not fencing IMHO OC. Maybe that's why it got changed?

Ushgarak
These are Napoleonic weapons, RC. I think you will find infantry sabres were NOT desinged for poncy fencing (though sabre fencing is anything but poncy; it is vicious). But they WERE desinged for close combat. Cavalry sabres/sabers were not; thwey would probably break in a melee

ratcat
But those don't concern me, the only weapon that does is the massless, energy bladed weapon of the Jedi Knights.... big grin

Ushgarak
I know THAT...

My point is that a saber would never be used in close combat melee. Hence a Jedi weapon would be a sabRE.

ratcat
OK, George, your wrong, cancel the whole project, you spelt the damn word wrong. laughing out loud

He wrote it, his word is Lore. It's a different Galaxy, we need a copy of their Dictionary to bottom this one out....

Ushgarak
It's all translsted into OUR language and meanings! Besides, HE calls them sabRES!

ratcat
How you figure that. He used Hell as a "bad place"

So he used Saber (either spelling) as a sword os some type.

*Sit's back to watch Ush get even father up his high horse.* roll eyes (sarcastic)

Ushgarak
It's more a stallion than a horse...

Because GL wrote it sabre, that's why.

ratcat
And subsequently changed it to SABER as well.

Actually, I think we're getting into Shire territory now...

Darth Pants
Maybe GL isn't the all-knowing, dictionary correct being we think he is. Perhaps being American, he used the more common American spelling of the word, his knowledge of weapons being more limited than some others', hence the words sabre and saber are interchangeable to him and don't have any relevance to the way in which they are used.

Bearing in mind, for most Jedi, they would probably never use a sab** to cut someone down anyway, they'd probably win the battle through use of the Force, or by deflecting blaster shots back at the enemy. Name a weapon we have which is used like that, the closest I can think of is a tennis raquet.

Ushgarak
Oddlu enough, tennis is one of the 'styles' Nick Gillard used in his combat style...

ratcat
Yeah, that Obi Wan kenobi has a wicked backhand and his lob is to die for.... rolling on floor laughing

Darth Pants
That's the thing with lightsabres,whilst many think they can be likened to swordplay we know, they're so different.A lot of the difference in fighting style probably has to do with their being able to cut with any 'edge',so you could swing it whichever way you wanted and cause serious damage.

Ushgarak
Exactly why fencing would be good.

ratcat
How so, neither a fencing foil, nor sabre has a blade that covers the entire 360 degrees of the blade does it?

DarthDoopey
i cant see why it really matters how we spell it, we all know what each other mean whether it is spelt ER or RE.

ratcat
You haven't been around here long, you'll get used to Ush and his pedantic ways. big grin

Ushgarak
I meant the fencing at no point depends on blade power. The point ALWAYS beats the edge! Even with a 360 blade. Fecning wins.

ratcat
Well, give me a Lightsaber over a Foil anytime. laughing out loud

Ushgarak
I think I am assuming we would both be using lightsabres. I have no intention of doing a Blackadder impression...

Darth Pants
Sabre fencing's wierd as I remeber, you can poke with the end, you can slash with any part of the foiable ond you can slash with only half of the lower part of the blade, or somethin like that. Nevertheless, sabre fencing would be more akin to lightsabre fighting than foil or epee fencing.

Ushgarak
Yeah, but if you used those sabres (and to be honest, they aren't literal sabres either) in 'real' life you would use epee or foil, because all you need is the reach, the centre, and a poke. Slashes would be virtually useless.

Darth Pants
Well, from a weapon which is square in cross section, anyway (bloody hurts if you get smacked though).

Ushgarak
Sabre fencing is DAMN vicious...

ratcat
But in Lightsaber fights there seems to be a lot of slashing, or was that your point..?

Ushgarak
Very much so. If it was 'real' (I always put that in quote marks because it is such a weird idea) there would be no such slashes, and very little movement- it would be very close to the orinal ANH fight.

Point it, that wouldn't look a 1/10th as good. In ESB and ROTJ they used an attractive but random style. Nich Gillard has taken things to a new level entirely. Good stuff.

ratcat
Yeah, he totally reinventyed Lightsaber duesl and battles. I can't wait to see what he has come up with for Episode-II.

darth fester
well if you guys want to argue about the spelling of sabre/er what about the spelling of colour

dont americans spell it color

also lets bring in

aluminum

that should start a war

ratcat
I already said that.....

DarthDoopey
Hey ush why do you get so upset when people spell it differently???

ratcat
Actually, in hindsight, I would suggest that the word LIGHTSABER is a new word, invented by Lucas to fulfil a need within his movies, and can therefore be spelt anyway Lucas and his companies choose.

Therefore LIGHTSABER or LIGHTSABRE are perfectly valid, whilst Light Saber and Light Sabre may or may not be.

Just a thought that occured to me last night.

Ushgarak
As I made VERY clear before I raised the point- and I ask that people do me the courtesy of reading my posts before they criticise me- my point about spelling was not some attempt to override US spellings that are perfectly acceptable in an American production.

My point was that even in America Sabers and sabres are different things, and lightsabres were always intended to be the latter.

I still believe this to be true, thoug RC's idea is not a bad one, esexcially as if pushed I have to admit that they are not sabres either, because they are too long. They are more like sabres than sabers, but even so.

ratcat
I am loathed to bring this up in light of your approval of my idea, but how do you KNOW they were meant to be that way???

Oh, an people NEVER read posts properly, haven't you notived. laughing out loud

Ushgarak
How do I know they were meant to be the latter? Because he spelt them that way and because he was using sabre in the tradtional 'type of sword' sense, which is spelt -re not -er

ratcat
But what if he made a spelling mistake and did mean it the other way. Then when he realised his mistake, he changed it when he wrote ROTJ...

It's just a thought, but you never know...

darth fester
well my 3 year old son calls them light savers

hes got 2 a red and blue one

weve had some good battles

hes my padawan

ratcat
My son has a Darth Maul saber and a QGJ saber. We have some wicked fights in the garden with them.

ChelsiJediKnight
Oh My God! Look it don't matter how it spelled. What matters is what is called. No spelling required. So can't you find something more interesting to fight over then the spelling of a word that has two spellings anyways.

Jedi Knightess smokin'

ratcat
How so??? Clearly if the two spellings have alternate meanings I would say it's a valid point that Ushgarak raised, even if I chose to disagree with his point of view on this one.

Or we could all just sit here and say nothing I guess... See my point? big grin

Ushgarak
Yes, like I say, it was more than just semantics. But RC came up with a good compromise...

Gundark
Sabre just seems more.....Jedi. IMHO.

ratcat
Ok, admission time.

My server is called Jadesabre (RE), but I named all my computers with names linked to Mara Jade so that may not count as it was the ship name....

Gundark
Confession is good for the soul. cool

Darth Pants
I can't afford to become involved in the historical complexities of the spelling of the word, I just use the general rule that because I'm English, 'R' is always before 'E', i.e. metre, centre, etc.

ratcat
And Master & Order & Father and Insider...

Hmmm, that kinda knocks that idea for a sixer....

Also, I noticed the updated Databank entry on the Official Site....
http://www.starwars.com/databank/technology/lightsaber/index.html

Enjoy!!!!

Ushgarak
It's french derived words that go with an r first, of course.

Darth Pants
Sorry, didn't realise how stupid I sounded. I meant words which are usually spelled differently by the Americans.

ratcat
Clarification is always nice.

No comments on that Data entry at the OSWWS?

Darth Pants
Obviously packed with 'saber' words to drive the point home, but then, I don't know what it was like before the update.

ratcat
Me neither, but the speller (ER) has been the one in common use within the novels and EU since before ROTJ.

What do they say, if you haven't seen it on the Official website, it's just a rumour... big grin

Joe
Actualy there isn't a limit to the coulours a lightsaber can have because I've been on a web site that shows all lightsabers that have either been in Star Wars films or Star Wars books or novels. There's been yellow ones...purple ones.... even a whight one with a tint of blue! smokin'

ratcat
Uh huh, but then there was a quote that said that there were only three types, hense the question.

General belief around here though does agree with your statement.

Ushgarak
Joe- that is EU source material. No good. RM's quote has far more power, but still is not canonical.

ratcat
I wonder if SLJ will get his wish and have a purple blade?

Darth Pants
I didn't know it was a wish, just thought he was under the impression he would have a purple blade. I reckon Ki Adi Mundi will have a purple blade, in keeping with the Ep1 figures. I wonder what colour Yoda's will be (you have read the reports about his fight, haven't you?).

yerssot
I thought it was a yellow one?

insanewookie
Two words: PLAID LIGHTSABERS!!!

Ushgarak
Bleuurrgghh...

jedi212guy
I have read that Yoda's will be yellow and come out of his cane. That would be strange indeed. Must be some strong stuff Yoda makes his cane out of... smokin'

Ushgarak
Indeed! Though this is better discussed in the Ep. II and III forum.

yerssot
Otherwhise Ush is going to use his deity-powers to get the topic out of here

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.