last house on the left

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

nacciw
not many teenagers have seen it, but it is worth seeing once, if you've already seen it, post a reply on what you thought.

BackFire349
i own it, wes cravens first, and best movie. very innovative and changed the way horror movies were made.

Striel
Great movie. One of the best revenge movies ever made. I don't think it's good for young kids to watch though.

ragesRemorse
i cant find this movie for the life of me

BackFire349
some blockbusters have it, and its available to buy on dvd at best buy

Striel
I was going to suggest Best Buy as well-- that's where i got my copy

A Talking Dog
A very good movie and also Wes Craven's best work aside from "Nightmare on Elm Street". It also paved the way for a new style of violence, not seen as much in those days.

BackFire349
yep

h0ck3yh0rr0r
man the blockbuster near my house really sux. horror movie section barely has any movies sad

BackFire349
yeah, alot of blockbusters are like that.

tasteier
Circuit City might have it. The one near me does. Quite a few copies in fact.

botankus
Yes, I know this thread was old, but it's the only one that came up on my search with "Last House on the Left" as the thread subject.

Anyways, I finally saw this movie (twice) over the past week and I agree with everything positive that's been said about it. One person said (before I saw it) that this should be watched with When a Stranger Calls. I disagree. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre would be a better fit than that.

This is excellent film making from 1972, right around the time everyone was getting their 2-cents in because of the fairly new time period the R-rating had been allowed, and many filmmakers took advantage of that freedom and took them to the extreme. The Exorcist, TCM, and this one are classic examples.

On a separate note, it was sad to see what happened to those hippie girls...I just wish it had been the girls from Thirteen. Now THAT would have been entertainment!

Also, for those who have seen both films, doesn't Phyllis Chant in LHOTL look alot like Evie from Thirteen?

SlipknoT
I such an idiot, I saw this movie at Best Buy for $9.99 and i passed it up. Damn it!

Cinemaddiction
Eh, didn't impress me. Sorry gang.

botankus
Would it have impressed you, Cory, if the girls from Thirteen were in it?

Turn the film into a three-hour long epic, with the first hour and a half with Holly Hunter and by the time you get through all that sh*t and the fire to exterminate these wanna-be's has been fueled enough inside the viewer, the posers make a wrong turn in California and end up in the woods. They meet the fugitives and the rest is history and the movie (Thirteen) is saved. Good idea, I think I'm on to something.

Cowboyography
This movie is very well made, and a tough watch, I couldnt sit down and watch this movie repededly like I can with other horror movies. The horror is so real, the "Monsters" are very believable. Overall it belongs in the top ten horror movies of all time IMO because as stated it truly shows evil in humans without the movie monster feel.

SlipknoT
I really need to see it.

ladygrim
i got it but i have never seen it

Dario Argento
you should

Evil Dead
I've got it..........good flick. The only downside is the horrible state of the master copy.

Cinemaddiction
Are we talking production here? If so, this is amateur horror incarnate.

I was laughing most of the time, watching people getting stabbed to synthesizer tones. laughing

slayer
Lol, it's been banned here, i'm trying 2 order it off amazon.

Waggy the Dog
it's not worth ordering it. Why the devil is it banned? that is so weird

BackFire
It's known as a video nasty, even though by todays standards it's time, I think it's just the infamous name.

Cowboyography
By very well made. I cleary am not talking about the music/Soundtrack. Craven didnt pick the best tracks thats clear. But hey it was 1972.

Johnlindsey289
Raw and savage little indie flick for Craven before he did " Hills Have Eyes", " Nightmare on Elm Street" and "Scream".

David Hess was a preety mean mofu, he actually wanted to see the chick pee in their pants.

I think this movie goes down with " I Spit on Your Grave", " Maniac ( 1980)", " House of 1000 Corpses" and " House on the Edge of the Park" especially "Cannibal Ferox" and "Cannibal Holocaust' of being one of the sickest movies ever.

scareme69
I loved this movie! Human cruelty at it's finest... those poor hippie teens! ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

This is one of the few horror films I would like to see re-made, I mean, it worked for TCM... it would work here!

@F1
Reading this post, got me thinking about another movie around this time.
I cant remember what it was called, I know the guy was taking girls back to his house tieing them up and burning them alive. He started to have nightmares of them coming back to kill him. Any ideas

ladygrim
dunno.....but i have lhotl on dvd and not watched it ...and dont want to

jaden101
a truely masterful piece of horror...my personal favourite

if you want another classic revenge flick then i suggest "i spit on your grave"

ragesRemorse
I dont really think craven knew what he was doing with this movie. He did do a good job at setting a style for himself though. I see many people saying that the movie was well made. Like i said before, i dont think craven knew to much what he was doing, but his sense of ambition did shine through as a raw style. To me, the movie is more or less boring. It seems to be made for mere shock value. There is no real story being told. then again i dont know that he was trying to tell a story rather than trying to make people shockingly uncomfortable. Many techniques were done well, but are still things you'd expect to see in a student film. If you are a horror fan you have to watch last house on the left atleast once. It does somthing, but not for me.

sarcomens
I didn't like it to much. Did not understand what all the fuzz about it was. What those girls go through is nothing special compared to what is happening today everyday in real-life to a lot of girls. And why is it called a revenge movie? It's the parents of one of the girls who take revenge, not the girls (like in I spit on your grave and Thriller: a cruel picture). Don't think it's much believable that the mother will suck her daughters killers d***, even if she bites it of after. And I what about those stupid policemen. The scene with them right after Mari is shot is ridiculous, and to me the most horrifying scene in the movie.

ragesRemorse
well today with our desensitized society. These movies come off as a nickelodeon special, but at the time was un heard of in film.

BadKitty
Originally posted by scareme69
I loved this movie! Human cruelty at it's finest... those poor hippie teens! ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

This is one of the few horror films I would like to see re-made, I mean, it worked for TCM... it would work here! you wanna see human cruelty watch the ultra trashy 'Blood Sucking Freaks' uber senseless abuse abound...great shocker but real stinker smile

but as far as LHOL goes it was pretty damn disturbing...though the ending had me laughing my ass off!

MildPossession
It's decent, but meh, watch the original Bergman film that LHOTL is based on, The Virgin Spring, now that's a well made film!

LepperFace15
This movie wasn't even scary.

PSHT.

Was it suppose to be?

papabeard
Did you know that David Hess wrote and sung some of the songs in the film?

slayer
I now do big grin
yeah it's a great film, especially considering it was Wes Craven's Directorial debut.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.