Remade horror flicks are NEVER any good...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Striel
Can you actually think of ANY remakes of horror movies that weren't utter crap? I am racking my brain trying to come up with one, but I can't think of ANY that were better than the original. Oh wait-- I just thought of one: House on Haunted Hill. It wasn't great, but I do like it better than the old version.

The ones that I think were awful:

Remake of Carrie
Remake of Psycho (I didn't like the actor choices)
Remake of The Shining. (I realize that Stephen King wanted the remake done a certain way because the original wasn't to his liking, but the Stanley Kubrick version is SO much better!)

I hear they are remaking Suspira and we all know about the new Texas Chainsaw Massacre thats coming out.

So what do you think? What remakes did you like better and which ones did you hate?

BackFire349
their are a few (and i mean a FEW) remakes i like... the thing is great..... you know what? ...thats it

wicker_man
The Fly and The Thing were good remakes in my opinion.

DeNiro
the fly i saw that shit as a young ass kid and that shit freaked me out the part when he regurtated that whatever onto the guy i rember going to sleep over at my cousins and before just so fuc*kin scarde cause i think i was like 4when is aw that or sumthing it was freaky but ne way yeah i dont like ne of the reamkse cept the fly and the best remake was the night of the living dead now that shit was reallly good with that candy man guy very good luved that shit

Striel
Yeah, the Night of the Living Dead remake wasn't TOO bad...

BackFire349
oh yeah, night of the living dead remake was neat.

wicker_man
I agree with Striel and Backfire The NotLD remake was a worthy remake,the sequels this remake produced were awful,but this one i thoroughly enjoyed, Tom Savini (who directed this version)did Mr Romero's original justice.

grymlock
me too night of the living dead is cool!! anyway the exorcist - the beginning is coming out soon .. any news about it??

h0ck3yh0rr0r
i wanna see remake of leprechaun movies. seriously it's a good idea that went bad. Leprechaun=good creature....story line= terrible

BackFire349
day of the dead should be remade, directed by george romero, so he can bring to life the vision he orininally had.

h0ck3yh0rr0r
ooo that would be a nice remake.

ragesRemorse
the body snatchers was an ok remake

Striel
Any other remakes that you can think of that you enjoyed?

Cinemaddiction
Mine were already mentioned, "The Thing", as well as the new "TCM". Beyond that, I can't think of any.

I am interested in seeing the new "Dawn of the Dead", although I have yet to see the original. (Don't hurt me)

Striel
Don't feel bad, I haven't seen the original Dawn of the Dead either.

I plan on watching it after I see the new one.

amlap
yeah the Original dawn of the dead is the best in my opinion. def in the top five of my favorite movies. and the remake just by the trailer looks like they are changing a good bit about it. ill still see it because it looks like it has potential.

Lord_Andres
Texas Chainssaw massacre Remake ROCKED smile

HockeyHorror
no it didn't...but thats your opinion

Asami
Remake of TCM was terrible. Just my opinion. Terrible.

Evil Dead
As others have stated........The Thing, The Fly, Night of the Living Dead, Invasion of the Body Snatchers.........all good remakes.

I'd like to add 13 Ghosts ........it is much better than the original.

wicker_man
Indeed

BackFire
This is old news, but they're remake hills have eyes and Amityville Horror. Seems to be a very bad trend going on of remaking horror movies that don't need to be remade.

PissedOffGoalie
Red Dragon is a remake of Manhunter. i like RD better

samhain
Yes I prfered RD to manhunter as well, but none of my friends seem to think so.

Cinemaddiction
I just saw "Manhunter", on your guys recommendation. I still like "Red Dragon" better. Just more suspenseful, gripping.

Evil Dead
Still going with Manhunter..........no need at all for a remake.

Red Dragon did not add anything intregal to the story.........Manhunter gave us all the information we needed. Red Dragon did not modernize the story.....update it to fit today's society like alot of movie remakes do. Red Dragon basically just reshot Manhunter scene for scene with A-list actors. No point to it whatsoever.

Zilverz
I havent seen the original Blob .. but i remimber the remake scaring me like 12 years ago or so..

badkittykitty
isn't a dawn of the dead re-make in the works?

Lord_Andres
bkk I belive it's finished and should be out in teaters very soon big grin

Cinemaddiction
That's not true.

"Red Dragon" did modernize the story. In the other thread, I griped about how they did absolutely nothing with the fact that the Tooth Fairy obtained Will's home address.

The "Red Dragon" adaptation, that intrigal part of the plot led up to one of the best endings in a movie I have ever seen.

Another part in the ending of "Red Dragon" was Will's exploitation of Dollarhyde's past by using the diary/book, breaking him down psychologically in a last ditch effort to save his family.

In "Manhunter", they came to his house, and he fought back with a SHOTGUN! He's supposed to be a mentally deranged, disturbed, sociopath, but he doesn't follow up on Graham, although he has his address, and just gets taken out at home?

It was called "MANHUNTER". Not "SWAT Team vs deranged psycho". "Manhunter" failed on it's premise that it was 1 man against another. "Red Dragon" delievered that without fail. That form of intimacy is what would have made "Manhunter" make a little more sense. The original didn't exploit the fight between the two, or the real thrill of the hunt.

They did absolutely NOTHING with Dollarhyde's character in "Manhunter". There was no way of telling that he was supposed to be mentally deranged, other than wearing pantyhose over half of his head which made no sense at all.

They did nothing with the mirror shards in "Manhunter", other than supposed 20 second dream sequence.

They didn't show the diary that was used in "Red Dragon".

Dollarhyde seemed more like some gay, bald guy, than someone who was enduring a self metamorphisis into a mythical creature, that could only be carried out by someone like Ralph Fiennes.

I could go on and on as to how much better "Red Dragon" was than "Manhunter". The most evident being the acting.

Evil Dead
well.......obviously many people felt that Manhunter was a great movie, otherwise they wouldn't have made the sequel.......Silence of the Lambs...........it couldn't have been that bad now could it.......

Cinemaddiction
I think "Silence of the Lambs" came along because it was just as good a book as "Manhunter". Not based on the success of the 1st movie, which I never heard of until last year.

"Manhunter", weither it was the nature of the book, or something that got lost in translation just didn't deliver it's title. It was supposed to be about one man's Cat and Mouse game with a deadly psychopath.

Instead, the only real confrontation between the two was him having the last gunshot at Dollarhyde. That's it. No "payback" for what Lector and Dollarhyde were plotting, no revenge, no visit back to Lector to get down to the bottom of things.

Red Dragon fleshed out the story in a much more interesting way. They used the taunts towards Graham, they let the two throw down, they evolved the Dollarhyde character into the "red Dragon" itself, they made portrayed him as the detatched, scarred guy that he was.

Of course, for 1986, I am sure "Manhunter" was gold, but I feel as if "Red Dragon" beefed up the story, and probably kept truer to the book.

As always, that's just my take.

LeatherLep43
I love The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. But the re-make of the original with Rene' Zellweger and Mathew McOnOhey sucked. It was called Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation" I believe. the acotrs weren't as scared. But the New Re-make is the best horror film ever! Jessica Beil and the others know hot to put on a show! Encore!!

Cinemaddiction
"TNG" was the 3rd installment, not a remake, I think. The sequel had Dennis Hopper.

Evil Dead
It is actually a bit fuzzy........

There are two true sequels to The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. They are The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (which does indeed star Dennis Hopper as Cinemaddiction pointed out) and Leatherface : The Texas Chainsaw Massacre part 3.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre : The Next Generation (4th installment) is sort of a remake but not really. It is more or a reimagining of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre for a new generation. It keeps the same core concepts as the original.......which smells of remake, but so much stuff is completely different....including the characters and many plot devices..............which points to it being not a sequel (it fits in nowhere in a timeline to the other 3 movies).....and not being a remake (since so many things were so different, including the characters).......simple a reimgagining of the original concept.

It's like they made the same movie......two completely different ways......decades apart.

botankus
Haha, this thread was just bait for someone to post with that....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.