the messages and complexities of the x-men universe

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

rogue8888
i would like to start a new thread here, to discuss the messages and complexities of the x-men. when i was younger, in my teens watching the x-men cartoon in the '90's, i was amazed at how complex the story lines was for the x-men. it was shown on fox kids, which means it was geared for children. as i was sitting there, watching this cartoon, i would think to myself, how can kids understand this? it's definitely geared towards a much older audience. how can kids understand anything like timelines, mutations, let alone what was happening on the show from week to week as episodes were often continued the week after. the only thing that kids like seeing are the action scenes, using their powers. which is good and all, but a lot of adults would be concerned about the violence. what i think happens is that there are underlying ideas that are place in the kid's heads as they are watching the show. these ideas are being placed in their heads subconciously, and would hopefully surface when it matters. the fact that for one, it's definitely good against evil is an obvious message. but, also the fact that the x-men are trying to fight for a world where everyone can live in peace is another. the fact that we are all different, and, that it's actually ok to be different is another message. these are just some of the reasons why i like the x-men.

Blopster
The thing I've always loved about the X-Men is how, for many of the characters, their powers wind up becoming more of a burden than a blessing. In most superhero comics, the heroes hide their powers for fear that the ones they love will be hurt as retaliation. X-Men, on the other hand, hid them for fear of being hurt themselves. But a central message (as you mentioned rogue) is that it isn't you're problem for being different, its the other person's racism/closed mindedness that's the problem.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.