Douglas Adams, Left earth with his towel...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jameous Woodshire
I dont even want to think about what Disney will do to his vision now that he's gone.

I actualy got to talk to him a few years ago on a local radio show. He was great and said he had complete control over the future movie. Disney was the studio he mentioned, but that was almost 3 years ago.

I'm so sad I almost want to recite Vogon Poetry. sad

Ushgarak
They were thinkng about a third radio series as well, with the original crew... it's very sad. Guess Marvin was right after all.

Jameous Woodshire
Do ya mean, "Dont talk to me about life!" ?

That might sum it up for me right now.

Ushgarak
I do indeed... also his final moments lookinmg at the huge sign that said 'Sorry for the Inconvenience' has a certain feel to it as well.

Jameous Woodshire
Sigh.

I havent read Mostly Harmless, but its now on the top of my list.

Why!?!

Ushgarak
Mostly Harmless is not his BEST work... thought it does have a VERY funny start with the robots trying to work out what his wrong with their ship... classic stuff.

Jameous Woodshire
Oh freddled gruntbuggly... Thy micturations are to me/ as plurdled gabblebotchits on a lurgid bee.

Edna_witch
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

And I was hoping he would make a sequal to Starship Titanic!

Thats made me really sad now!

Ushgarak
A sequel to ST? THAT would have been odd...

Edna_witch
Wasnt everything he did? Thats what made im so amazing!

Ushgarak
It would have been odd by HIS standards.

'Oh dear, I think you'll find reality is on the blink again'- Marvin

ratcat
Man, I heard this earlier today. WHat sort of age is 49 to be dieing?

Was the news report correct on that fact, did he write HHGTTG in his twenties or something?

Ushgarak
Yes, it was done twenty-two years ago.

keokiswahine
Hi, Jameous, so sorry to read of Adams' passing; he was so young. BTW, I now have all 5 of Adams' books to the hitchhiker's odessy. Finally opened my mail.

Jameous Woodshire
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/newsid_1326000/1326657.stm

I cant believe it. He was a great guy. The world wont be the same without him. sad

ratcat
I know it was 22 years ago, I was just amazed at how young he was.

Ushgarak
Still, he was a cool frood who knew where his towel was. I'm sure he was happy.

Quite wherew this leaves the new film, I don't know...

I feel I should point out a couple of points, looking at the site- they missed out Mostly Harmless from his list of sequels, and the radio series came BEFORE the novel...

Guess the BBC's field researchers got caught up with other things while working on the report, eh...?

Gundark
Everybody over to Milliways and lets toast him a final farewell.

Ushgarak
I think you will find that we all have reservations...

Gundark
Well we'll have to wait for the supply of lemon soaked paper napkins first.

Ushgarak
Please return to your seats.

ratcat
*Sits down*

Now what?

Ushgarak
Now wait for the napkins! Coffee and biscuits will be served for your convenience.

ratcat
Can I have tea?

Ushgarak
Return to your seats!

ratcat
I'm in the seat, can I have tea???

Ushgarak
Return to your seats!

ratcat
I'm in my seat. Clips seatbelt and forgets about any kind of beverage.

Ushgarak
Passengers will remain in cryogenic suspension for their comfort and convenience...

ratcat
*Wraps towel round head*

ratcat
I have reservations about a lot of things....

Gundark
Be patient RC.

The statistical likelihood is that other civilizations will arise. There will one day be lemon soaked paper napkins. Until then there will be a slight delay.

ratcat
OK, waits patiently.

Fiddles with babel fish.

Gundark
Now I have some bits of shouting to go do.....

ratcat
OK, enjoy.

Ushgarak
Yeah, but the minutes are pretty lousy...

ratcat
Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so.

Ushgarak
Very good. Very deep. You should write to the Reader's Digest, thet have a page for people like you...

ratcat
Perhaps I'm old and tired, but I always think the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say "Hang the sense of it" and just keep yourself occupied.

Ushgarak
I mean, science has done some great things of course... but I'd far rather be happy than right, any day!

ratcat
This must be Thursday. I never could get the hang of Thursdays.

Ushgarak
I ache, therefore I am. Or is that I am, therefore I ache?

keokiswahine
He said it, RC said it, he's old and tired. whew; it's out of the bag and proclaimed to all. laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud stick out tongue

Jameous Woodshire
Keo, he's quoting DA.

Go read your books and you too shall know the meaning of Life The Universe and Everything.

cool cool <Zaphod impression<<<

keokiswahine
Jameous, don't take the wind out of my sails. RC had been mumbling about age recently; it just seemed appropo to use his statement to reflect upon himself, what with hopping in and out of closets, etc, recently. But you know me, I am, as always, confused

Jameous Woodshire
Well, I take my Hichhikers quotes seriously.

Read the books I say again! Read the books!

eek! <Arthur Dent Impression<<<

keokiswahine
Read them to me, Jameous; put life into them. rolling on floor laughing

Jameous Woodshire
If you want someone to read them to you, you should find the BBC Radio broadcasts from '78 or '79. They are supposed to be online somewhere in MP3 format.

I'll look for them sometime.

But if you just paid of the books why dont you get some use out of that money?

confused <Also Arthur impression<<

ratcat
Yay, 33 in 2 months time and PROUD of it!!! big grin

keokiswahine
If I read right now, there would be no time to post. I'll read in a few days. Lighten up, Jameous. big grin

ratcat
Excuses, excuses...

Ushgarak
Should point out that the radio broadcasts PREDATE the books; the books changed the storyline, and then rather amusingly the TV series did a pretty good mix of the two.

To be honest, I still find the original Radio Storyline the funniest.

ratcat
But not all of the books surely. I thought "Fish" was original, are you saying that this was part of the radio series too?

Ushgarak
Yes, only small parts of Fish were radio-based, and NONE of Mostly Harmless. Actually, LTUAE was very different as well; actually, so was RATEOTU... and even the original was quite different... like I say, he re-did the storyline.

The Radio show had a much better way for them to be rescued from prehistoric Earth.

ratcat
I never did hear them. Wonder if they have them in the Library...

Jameous Woodshire
Yeah, from what I've heard they live on the net in MP3 format. I dont use Napster or the clones, but I bet its there somewhere. Along with the SW radio shows I'd bet...

ratcat
Oh probably, I hadn't thought of that.

Jameous Woodshire
The introduction begins like this:
"Space," it says, "is big. Really big. you won't believe how vastly hugely mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemest, but that's just peanuts to space. Listen..." and so on.

After a while the style settels down a bit and it begins to tell you things you really nead to know...

ratcat
Like how to use the Video Recorder?

keokiswahine
getting warm, getting close, I hear. stick out tongue

Ushgarak
They huing in the air, in exactly the same way bricks don't

ratcat
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty.

Ushgarak
Demarcation, that's the problem!

ratcat
Six pints of bitter, and quickly, please. The world's about to end.

Ushgarak
Nice day for it, sir

Gundark
My Sub-Etha Sens-O-Matic is winking....

ratcat
Life?

Ushgarak
Don't talk to me about life...

ratcat
Pardon me for breathing which I never do anyway so I don't know why I bother to say it.

Ushgarak
Yes... I see... very interesting...

ratcat
Come with me or you shall be late.

Ushgarak
It;s supposed to be a threat, you see...

ratcat
Never been particularly good at the myself but I'm told they can be quite effective.

keokiswahine
Who's threatening? confused

ratcat
Get back on topic keo, these are Douglas Adams quotes. Sheesh, comes in here and doesn't pay attention... laughing out loud rolling on floor laughing laughing out loud

keokiswahine
you're making read the books? roll eyes (sarcastic) stick out tongue confused

ratcat
Hehe big grin

Ushgarak
The secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!

Jameous Woodshire
Yep, RC. All I can add is read the books! Then you wont be so confused. wink

It isn't easy being cops! cool

keokiswahine
*stares at books, hoping osmosis will set in*

Ushgarak
I assume you meant to say Keo, Jameous...

keokiswahine
*continues to stare at books, osmosis is slow today*

Jameous Woodshire
Well, I was commenting on RC's post on page 3. (post #75) This is for lamenting and celebrating Douglas Adams.

But it was meant for Keo.

Keo read some and post a quote. I think you'll find alot in common with Arthur. He goes through the series in a constant state of confusion. wink

keokiswahine
gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. read? where is osmosis when I need him. does confusion need more company? then there will be multiple confusion. yeahhhhhhhh. confusion reigns. confused confused

Ushgarak
Good job Keo doesn't have telepathy. Mind you, Keo does talk a lot...

keokiswahine
Ush, I'm home today sikky. would you prefer I just lurked? confused

Jameous Woodshire
Still posting with out quotes... Hmmm...

No one had gone bananas, not in that way at least.

Ushgarak
That wasn't a personal attack, Keo, it was another sub-quote...

Yellow...

ratcat
Do you think it's the sort of thing you're likely to say?

Jameous Woodshire
Bright idea of mine, to find a passing spaceship and get rescued by it.

Ushgarak
Please do not press this button again.

ratcat
Now, which is the most nonchalant chair to be discovered in?

ratcat
It's a by-pass, gotta build a by-pass....

Jameous Woodshire
TOWEL DAY!!!
http://www.binaryfreedom.com/towelday/

Its a great idea, although I'm late on finding it, I plan on celebrating on Thurs. I'll post pics of it wink

I say we should all carry at least a hand towel Thurs., unless you cant get the hang of Thursdays laughing out loud then feel free to celebrate any day you feel is right.

Alternative celebrations (than towel day) are to have an infinite number of monkeys write a script for the movie version.

Or, launch a protest agenst any Bypasses, weather its local or intersteller.

Or, just kick back and have a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster.

Let us know of any personal celebrations you may have big grin

ilikecomics
As someone who owns 3 copies of the ultimate hitchhikers guide to the galaxy, this was a very cool thread to read.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.