Computer Games

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

pikachu
Are there any fraggers or nukers amongst this board?

I love a good game of Quake III Arena or Voyager Elite Forces.

I'm also playing Black & White, Battle for Naboo, Alice and Alone in the Dark right now, though not all at the same time. big grin

Ushgarak
Battle for Naboo is a bit... um... well.

I THINK EJ and Merc used to be fraggers and they are long gone. I am more to co-operative type; besides which I can't stand the ping on a mdoem for FPS anyway. I like LANs!

Are they going to release the official B&W patch EVER? I want the B&W chat system; there might be a loophole for Edna on that one...

EDIT- Oops there is the patch now...

ratcat
I LOOOOVVVEEE Quake III Arena, just bought the Team Arena add on, the new maps are awesome, absolutely massive.

Battle for Naboo is OK, very much like Rogue Squadron 3D with different craft and maps.

I just bought a new machine, specced up for gaming. Quake III TA has excellent surround sound effects so you can here people coming up from behind.

queeq
Rogue Squadron with different craft and maps? What's that then? Are there any new patches or additions that I missed?

finti
Desperados wanted dead or alive.... Clint eat your heart out there is a new Sheriff in town. And this one aint gonna get shot by Bob Marley or Eric Clapton big grin

Ushgarak
Battle for Naboo is a whole different game, Queeq, but I really don't think it is worth it. The cheat that lets you play as Darth Maul is a laugh though.

ratcat
Well I like the game, it's fun if you enjoyed RS3D. Plus you get to pilot some of the ground based vehicles such as a STAP variant and speeders.

There's a much broader story element to this one than there was in RS3D as well.

Prefer a good frag on Q3TA any day though, especially with those MASSIVE maps.

queeq
Battle for Naboo is not a PC game, is it?

ratcat
Yeah it is. I think it was on the PS/2 first but it is available on the PC. I play it on the PC.

queeq
It is?! Ooh, I should get it. I haven't seen it anywhere here in Holland. I only knew about it as being a PS/2 game.

Ushgarak
Hmm. HMM... it's hardly like Lucasart's heyday. TIE Fighter and all...

Roll on Jedi Outcast and Knights of the Old Republic, I say! We had better ALL play KOTOR, by the way.

ratcat
Which I believe is using the Quake III Team Arena Engine with additional enhancements.

Should be wicked!!!!

I'm there!

Ushgarak
Well, Outcast does, of course., As ever, Raven will make alterations like they did with Heretic and Hexen and Hexen II and Heretic II and Solider of Fortune... in fact, EVERY time they licence an id engine,.

KOTOR isn't an FPS, but it sounds bloody amazing.

queeq
So, no Battle of Naboo then?

ratcat
Well obviously I was referring to Outcast, AKA Darkforces 3... Though I understand the Dark Forces title has been dropped.

But I was referring to the Team Arena engine as opposed to the Arena engine. The TA engine is GREATLY refined on the earlier version.

And Hexen and Hexen II used the Quake and Quake II engines respectively, not the Arena Engine. Not sure about Heretic but I think you'll find that was the Quake engine.

Star Trek: Voyager Elite Forces uses the Arena Engine as well.

The Team Arena engine is just the best though. Trust me on this one. big grin

Pikachu
You seem to know you Quake engines there RC.

Ushgarak
Hey"! I know my Raven History! I just meant thst they always tweak the engines they are given. And they ARE tweaking the already tweaked Tram Arena engine,

Heretic was the Doom Engine (and was the first FPS in which you could look up and down), so was Hexen (though Hexen's one was MASSIVELY modified).

Hexen II used Quake (not very modfied) and Heretic II used Quake II (HUGELY modified).

So, no surprise that they are altering nwhat they have AGAIN.

ratcat
Yeah, well I should do... The Activison released ones at least.

Ushgarak
Raven never leave anything alone. I love them, in case my above post didn;t make that clear...

ratcat
Well I'll admit I only know the once distributed directly by Activision, which I think is most of them. Not sure if Raven have down any engine work that has been distributed by other publishers though I suspect they have.

finti
Anybody heard of Anarchy online?

ratcat
http://www.anarchy-online.com/

queeq
Ah, my kind of place. evil face

Pikachu
So Ratty, when we gonna get a game together? The mouse and the rat can kick booty!!!

Anyone else on for a fragfest? evil face

ratcat
YEah sure, like I said I'm always up for some fragging!!!

Problem is I'm still playing at 3 in the morning and it gets prety knackering when I have to get up for work.

I'll send you the address of onof the TA servers that I play on a lot. There are some top players on there. smile

Pikachu
OK, but you have to promise to buy me chocolate. wink

ratcat
Ehhhh, well, yeah, chocolate I can do... But I'm not taking you to Disneyworld. laughing out loud smokin' laughing out loud

Pikachu
Oh poop! And I have never been to Disneyworld either. sad

ratcat
Yeah, well been there, done that, lost a T-Shirt... (Amongst other things) laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud

queeq
I see a date coming up. big grin

ratcat
Yeah, Friday the 13th....

queeq
Tomorrow?

ratcat
Well, that's a date isn't it.

queeq
*starts practising wedding march*

Ushgarak
Raven are just talented id groupies; I remember them doing very little that was not spun off id's work, but they do it SO DAMN WELL...

Heretic was so similar to Doom it was almost criminal, but I still loved it. And you could look up and down!!!! Difficult to get acorss just how impressive that was...

It IS a date, you are right...

queeq
*practises harder*

Ushgarak
Queeq, that wedding march of yours has always preceeded disaster...

queeq
eek! You think THAT's what caused it????

Ushgarak
Stranger things have happened, but whether it did or not, perhapos caution would be sensible...

Edna_witch
Caution? You're wasting your time Ush! Queeq oesn't know the meaning of the word! How do ou think he ended up as a freeq eh?

ratcat
I haven't quite worked out who he's practicing for this time...

Edna_witch
You and Pika and your inevitable friday the thirteenth date!

ratcat
Yeah, like I'd date someone I met on a discussion forum!!! roll eyes (sarcastic) wink roll eyes (sarcastic) embarrasment roll eyes (sarcastic) stick out tongue smile

Edna_witch
La la la la la la la la la la big grin

ratcat
La la laaaa laa laa, laa la la la la! wink

Edna_witch
Please somebody help me before my ears explode!

ratcat
Hey, don't knock my singing sweetie, could be the last thing you hear before your ears explode.... laughing out loud

Ushgarak
Argh! Graemlin overload!

So, we all agreed that dating people you meet on discussiopn boards is a bad thing to do?

(Runs)

ratcat
Do we? Oh, okay then.

Pikachu
My, my, you people move fast. Where's the shotgun?

Ushgarak
No need to turn violent!

ratcat
I think that proably refers to the wedding Ush, as in Shotgun Weddung.

Ushgarak
Good thinking, Batman.

Err... as it?

ratcat
as it??????? confused

Ushgarak
IS it, even.

ratcat
Um, I don't think so!!!

I learnt my lesson thanks.

Ushgarak
Actually, I was asking Pika if that was what he (?) was amusingly referring to.

ratcat
Oh, sorry. So you think Pikachu is a man?

I still think female, bit he/she/it won't tell me.

Ushgarak
Best describe Pika as a mouse right now, I think, and go no further...

ratcat
Works for me!

Ushgarak
And we are all happy again!

ratcat
Rumours of my unhappiness have been greatly exagerated...

freeq
sad Do freeqs eat mice?

ratcat
No, freeqs are itty bitty little things. Mice and Rats in Freeqs though... evil face

zereil
What exactly is a freeq then?

ratcat
Something Edna did to queeq.

ratcat
Well, queeq said something about Edna whilst she was away. Nothing too nasty but then Ush pointed out that Edna would turn him into a frog, and thus frog plus queeq equals freeq!

It's not like I actually understand it myself... big grin

Pikachu
The more I hear, the more I worry about bumping into this Edna person. roll eyes (sarcastic)

freeq
sad

And so you should. Be afraid, be very afraid.

Pikachu
Hmmmm, you don't like her do you?
Nasty little freeq. laughing out loud

Ushgarak
Edna is lovely, and she only transformed Queeq because he virtually begged her to do it.

ratcat
Yeah, some people are dumb like that.

freeq
sad

It's a worthwile experiment though. I wonder if it lasts. I noticed it doesn't work outside the GDF. See! I told you her spells were funny. And my sig's screwy too.

zereil
care to extrapolate?...

ratcat
NOw I am confused.

freeq
Darn that keo! laughing out loud

Ushgarak
Yeah! Get darning!

freeq
Can I darn Edna again?

Ushgarak
No!

freeq
Oh please?

Ushgarak
Hmm. I'll ask her permission first.

freeq
Party pooper. sad

ratcat
Can you darn my sock. laughing out loud

freeq
Sure. Bring them both. big grin

Pikachu
What is it with you and socks Ratty?

ratcat
Oh, no, this is a completely different thing.

freeq
Different socks, huh. Some problem.

ratcat
Just a hole in my sock!

Pikachu
You can mend your own socks my dear.. sad

freeq
Now THAT's a remark a woman would make!
Hmmmmmmm.

ratcat
I wouldn't agree, but that has no indication on what you're looking for. laughing out loud

Ushgarak
Actually, Edna is good at sewing, he mentioned for no readily apparent reason.

ratcat
Hmmm, well that's ........ interesting?

Pikachu
Oh stop it!

ratcat
Hehe, well it worked once, you never know it might work again. laughing out loud

Pikachu
Somehow I don't think so. wink

ratcat
Ah yes, but I was just trying to help out all those people in the dark. laughing out loud

Ushgarak
(Bumps into something)

Bigger light bulb I think, RC...

ratcat
ACtually, I'd love to help out but I made a promise.

Ushgarak
Understood.

(Falls down stairs)

ratcat
Shuts door to stop noice of moaning.

Ushgarak
Great, now I can't find the stairs back up.

Pikachu
Opens door, throws Ushgarak a torch.

Ushgarak
Woo-hoo!

Hang on, this metaphor has gone wrong somewhere.

Pikachu
Use the Torch Ushgarak, Use the Torch.

Ushgarak
But the Torch is the metaphorical representation of your secret!

ratcat
This is better than a visit to the Comedy Store.

Ushgarak
(Runs around with Torch)

I have the secret! I have the secret!

freeq
Pikachu has a torch??? A guy then???? Now I AM confused. confused

ratcat
No Ush, you have a torch. It's not quite the same thing. laughing out loud

freeq
So Ush is running around with Pikachu's torch???????? Time to do that mod thing, I think. laughing out loud

ratcat
Then we'll never know, and Ush will be in the dark, when the batteries die that is...

freeq
It runs on batteries???????????????? I need to lie down now. big grin

ratcat
It's a torch, what do you think it runs on? Love???? roll eyes (sarcastic)

**Now it means ROLLSEYES!!

Ushgarak
(Thanks for the clarification, RC...)

Hey, I wouldn't mind a Love Torch, no shortage of power from me...

(No, Queeq, that is not a metaphor or simile for anything, it just means a light producing device that runs on love)

ratcat
The Love Torch.... Oh my!

finti
Dont to be a party pooper, but where there is a light there is always a shadow. eek! evil face

ratcat
I'm sure this isn't what Pikachu envisaged.

Ushgarak
I don't think ANY of us envisaged where this thread went.

I'll get back to campaigning for Knights of the Old Republic to be realsed early...

finti
What are you talking about Ush? sounds cool though.

Ushgarak
Knights of the Old Republic is a Star Wars computer game being made for Lucasarts by the people who wrote the very high-qaulity (and massivle popular) Baldur's Gate games, and the soon to be releasedd (and astonishing looking) Neverwinter Nights (they also did Planescape: Torment and Icewind Dale, all similar RPG type games and each worht buying).

It is set during the last Sith War (either 1000 or 2000 years before TPM; seems a little unclear) and players play either Jedi or Sith in that conflict. Knowing these guys it will probably have a very strong story-based element and good multi-player modes.

Mind you, it has been a while since I checked up on this game; then again info on it is hard to find.

Should be out around the same time as Jedi Outcast... that'll be a good month.

finti
Excellent sith war cool evil face evil face evil face
I must get that game, show my inherrited Viking blood through a game roll eyes (sarcastic)

Ushgarak
EVERYONE must get that game, doubly so if the multi-play is as good as it was in Baldur's Gate.

Mind you, BG had the sort of multi-play that appeals to me (co-op)... still, there's always Outcast for you frag freaks out there...

finti
Outcast box looked like Star Trek so I never even bother to check it out.

Ushgarak
Sorry, Finti, I meant the upcoming Jedi Knight: Outcast, not the adventure game from a couple of years back.

Just got some fresh info on KOTOR:

Set FOUR thousand years before TPM

You don't HAVE to be a Jedi; Bounty Hunter and other options are there.

It's not just wondering around and killing things; they are working on possible space combat/racing scenes

Massive story-based game, of course

Set over 8 worlds

Choose your path as you go along; at this point Jedi and Sith are fighting in large numbers galaxy wide.

Must... have... now...

finti
Sounds like my kind of game..Sith hmmm Darth Maul eat your heart out a Norse Sith is in tow...ehh in the galaxy.

Ushgarak
On the downside the release is now looking to be LATE next year, and all the previews I have seen have made no mention of multi-player modes.

Preview here is a good, quick summary:
http://pc.ign.com/previews/16512.html

finti
The guy sure like the word although.

Ushgarak
Reviewers often get like that. 'Trendy' ones are the worst.

freeq
So when was it coming out again?

ratcat
2 MP RPG in one year, did someone on the Lucasarts board of directiors say they liked RPG!

It's not their normal thing is it.

Ushgarak
Well, Galaxies and KOTOR may be broadly in the same area but they aren't really that similar.

Tail end of next year, Queeq.

ratcat
I suppose (he grudgingly agrees) wink

freeq
That's a long time away, with the postponements and stuff.

ratcat
About 2004 then.

freeq
If we're lucky.

Ushgarak
Bioware are not bad at dates, actually

queeq
Here's hoping then.

ratcat
Did anyone register for Star Wars Galaxies?

queeq
What's that then?

ratcat
The New Internet based Star Wars game. Kind of a RPG on a massive scale.

freeq
Ah. No time for that.

ratcat
Oh, I'll make time for that when it's released.

freeq
Yes, you have that luxury, rich boy.

Pikachu
I'm looking forward to this one.

freeq
So is RC. What a coincidence!

Pikachu
It is, how wonderful. smile

queeq
The deck's fixed.

ratcat
Didn't even know it was broken.