thoughtlessness

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Phoenix
so, when does speaking your own mind cross over the line to thoughtlessness, in your opinion?

cos ya see, today, this one girl was, in my opinion, SPECTACULARLY thoughtless.

First, we were discussing universities, and I said that my mum had asked if I could stay within 90 miles of home, which is fine by me, as my faves our only 60 miles away. To this, the girl said, "well, my mum hasn't put any constraints on my education. She has my best interests at heart."

Then, we started discussing divorces, and she said, "It's completely wrong for a person to have to live without a dad. They must grow up disturbed." this said while sitting next to one of my bessie mates, who hasn't seen her dad in several years.

What's the verdict? Am I being overly-sensitive, or has this girl had a problem keeping her foot out of her mouth today?

((maybe it's a girl thing. I talked about this with both my parents today, dad didn't get how she could possibly have offended anyone, and mum burst out laughing at the thoughtlessness.))

diegocala
She sounds like a snob and an idiot...those comments I would write off to stupidity

BackFire349
her feelings are valid, that she doesnt think a peson should be without a father, a father is something of a necessity, unless of course the father was abusive or what have you. she just presented her feelings in a poor manner, but i dont think she was trying to hurt anyones feelings or offend anyone. i think you are being overly sensitive. but then again, i am never offended by anything anyone can ever say to me, because as far as im concerned everyone who i dont know is a retarded chuckle head.

Corran
Her feelings way be valid, but every persons situation is different, maybe she feels the need to have input from her father but not everyone does. There are many people whose parents are still married or together but the father, due to work committments, is still not seen very much by the children. It was insensitive of this girl to suggest what she said, maybe if it was explained to her she may see that was insensitive. She may not have meant to hurt anyones feelings but at times you need to consider what you are saying and how it may hurt others around you.

happy kine
hear, hear

BackFire349
yeah, but he's still there, still around, and still somewhat available, i can see where the girl was coming from, she was just obviously stupid in her presentation of her feelings.

Kes
Well as for the Uni thing..I dont see how that can be offensive.
The dad thing (you didnt say if she knew that your friend hasnt seen her father for years) I think it stupid to think that someone would grow disturbed because "it" doesnt have a dad. It would be thoughtless if she knew.
I agree with diego...she did sound kinda snob by the way you tell things.

Phoenix
the uni thing is that she meant my mother didnt have my best interests at heart - she meant my mother was being selfish

Kes
I rarelly saw my dad growing up. He worked all the time.And I'm ...
Oops exexmple!

Kes
Well isnt she?

BackFire349
hahha

Corran
I agree that this may just be the issue.

Most parents treat their children with their best interests at heart, it could be that both your mothers are doing so, you mother because she is showing concern about how far away you have to go to Uni, she obviously cares and worries about you and because of that wants you within a reasonable distance in case she is needed. Your friends mother may have her daughters best interests at heart also but is showing that in a different way by allowing her more freedom in her selection of Uni's. I am sure if you wanted to travel further you mother would not restrict you it was merely her preference, maybe you should talk this through with your friends so she realises how you took it all.

BackFire349
you shouldnt let this girl get to you, she obviously had sub-standard intelegence.

Phoenix
*hugs Corran*

see, I knew a sensible grown-up could solve all my problems!!

laughing out loud

Phoenix
big grin

Corran
Oi, less of this sensible S**t.

Phoenix
stick out tongue

Phoenix
*waves*

byebye! me going now!

((stoopid bio work... but I'm determined not to fail this year!))

BackFire349
bye bye smile

crazy_rock_chic
Yeah i think she was a bit insensitive but i dont think u shud get too hung up on what she sed

Fitch
see how chicks help each other...wink
evil face

BackFire349
lol

G.P

Kes
Yes he does but that does mean the person that grows up without one is going to be disturbed.

G.P
Maybe we should agree on the meaning of 'disturbed'. To me it's too strong a word, excessive...

Kes
Yeh disturbed is a bit much. Lets see...just becasue a person doesnt have a dad that doesnt necessarlly mean he/she wont grow up exactly the same way or better then a person with both perents smile

G.P
Agreed smile (Absolutely ! )

Kes
lol big grin I knew we'd get there stick out tongue

G.P
You manipulator, Kes; I should be more careful next time confused wink

Kes
Me??! Never!http://www.killermovies.com/forums/images/moresmilies/innocent.gif

G.P
How cannot I see innocence on this pretty face ? --> blink <--

Kes
laughing out loud

yerssot
perhaps a tad late, but wasn't here yesterday...

that girl deserves some serious hitting! mad

Phoenix
*hugs yerss*

yerssot
*hugs phoe*
tis true! she's a retard!

Phoenix
she just doen't think of other peoples feelings sometimes... though i wouldn't want to tell her, cos she thinks she's really nice to people, and it'd make her cry if I told her she was bitchy...

yerssot
tell her, she's hurting many others with "being nice", if you tell her then she knows and can pipe down

Phoenix
erm... from what I know of her, she'd cry, then shout, then never talk to me again, and spread nasty stories about me...

yerssot
then why hang out with her if she hurts people and that as soon as she dislikes you she goes on a bashing-rampage?

Phoenix
erm... cos if I don't hang out with her, she'd go on a bashing rampage anyway...

yerssot
then I wonder why you ever started talking to her!

Phoenix
because she lived round the corner from me when I was little and her mum used to look after me when my mum worked

yerssot
you're in the mess, I think
though you should make it clear to her

Phoenix
but I don't want to upset her... no-one really takes her seriously any more.... we all know what she's like...

yerssot
then what's the problem? no one will believe her stories then

Phoenix
I still don't want to hurt her...

Phoenix
I mean, we're none of us perfect, are we? I'm sure I've said silly things, sometimes...

yerssot
you're too nice phoe, you know that?

Phoenix
stick out tongue

I'm really not...

yerssot
if you're not, yell at that girl!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.