Democrats and Republicans

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

razman
Just read this article over at the BBC. It talks about how the balance of power is changing at Capitol Hill.

Can any American tell me the difference between a Democrat and a Republican?

ratcat
Ins't it that one screws the foriegn policy and the other screws the interns?

queeq
laughing out loud That's about it, yeah?

Dim
Not even close boyos..

ratcat
Well, please to be explaining it then.

Dim
OH man..there's way too much to explain..

ratcat
Well, I'm having enough trouble trying to decide who get's myu vot in 2 weeks time...

Ushgarak
Republicans are right wing, democrats left. That is highly theoeretical, but it is the general idea. Geographical area is very important in deciding who owns what.

ratcat
Leave it to Ush to answer for the Americans.... roll eyes (sarcastic)

Ushgarak
... or to have done an American studies module in his Politics course. Happy?

ratcat
Irrelevant. Raz asked the Americans to comment.... laughing out loud

And now Ush get's all shirty cos he did a study of Amreican Politics. Woohooo.... laughing out loud rolling on floor laughing laughing out loud

Ushgarak
Cut that out, RC, you are being REALLY insulting

ratcat
Insulting huh? Interesting.... laughing out loud

Dim
Come one guys..lets not fight.

Ush is basically right. Republicans are conservative and Democrats are liberal..

ratcat
I know he is, he's just having a sense of humour melt down.

Ushgarak
Ok, RC, I actually am asking you to stop now, or I will have to go through channels.

ratcat
Ush, stop being such a baby. If you want to go through "channels" then fine. Never have I met someone with such a lck of humour in their body.

Well, not since Ej anyway....

Ushgarak
RC, can't you see how massively insulting you are being? I DO have a sense of humour, but you have crossed the line into insults many, many times and you don't even seem to realise you are doing it.

ratcat
Ush, I am going to say this one last time. You did the same to me with the spelling thing.

I don't seem to remember you being as concerned with my feels then...

And I did stop at post 13 actually. Thopugh, somehow I doubt that makes any difference.

*Sigh*

I'm done discussing this.

Dim
Can we please get back to Political parties?...

ratcat
Well, I'm still waiting for one of you lot to give us an indepth analysis on the American Political system....

Dim
Okay..The thing to realize is that it's more an issue of Conservative and Liberal. Republicans are usually pretty conservative and Democrats are liberal. Bush is pretty conservative..but Clinton's administration was a moderate one.

Liberal is:
Pro-Choice
Pro Environment and Conservation.
For keeping the military at a more moderate size.
Pro public welfare programs.
Pro division of church and state.
Con coporal punishment
Pro Gun Control
Pro Affirmative Action
Pro Gay rights

Conservative is:
Pro Life
Feels that we should use the environment for our needs more then for conservation.
Pro larger Military (like the New Shield plan)
Con public welfare programs. (feels they are a waste of money and people should be responsible for themselves.
Pro Prayer in School
Pro coporal punishment
Pro Right to bear arms.
Con Affirmative Action
Con Gay rights

Okay..if I'm wrong about any of this just say so.

ratcat
There ya go..... smokin'

Dim
I tried..

Gundark
What Dim said. Also, republicans look like elephants and democrats look like donkeys.

ratcat
NOw I understand THAT.....

Gundark
Well a picture is worth a thousand words, you know.

ratcat
Show me the picture then.....

Gundark
I am not surfing the net hunting pictures of elephants and donkeys just for you. I do have a life you know. stick out tongue

ratcat
You do, must get myself one of those.

Gundark
Mayhem is not just a job. Its an adventure. evil face

ratcat
And I'm just living in Imagination...

Gundark
Well thats a nice place. Imagination leads to inspiration. Inspiration leads to perspiration. Perspiration leads to somebody getting stinky and needing a shower. laughing out loud

Dim
Atleast you can do something with yours..I just am.

ratcat
Thanks Gundy, now I feel soooooo much better....

queeq
Interestingly enough, from a more European point of view, Democrats are just a little less right winged than Republicans. roll eyes (sarcastic)

ratcat
So, what you're saying is that they are all right wing, and it's just a case of by how much?

Ushgarak
It's all a bit messed up, because the Democrats go for high taxes, which is odd for right-wingers, but even so...

Of course, it's all relative. Some of the milita groups in the US thought that Clinton was a Communist...

Gundark
This is why we should never discuss politics here. BORING !!!!!!! (Yawns, gets clown gun out) Be vewy vewy quiet....

queeq
I'm with Gundy. big grin

razman
Politics can *somtimes* be interesting....like that Prescott punch!

Ratcat
Yes, years as a Merchant Seaman served him well with that one!!!

Dim
What?

ratcat
Well I guess you must have seen the footage of our Deputy Prime Minister landing a punch on a protesting farmer who through an egg at him a couple of weeks ago.

Well he was in the British Merchant Navy for many years when he was younger and apparently he was a Navy Boxer or something.

Gundark
Well I heard about the punch, but not that he was a boxer when he was younger.

ratcat
Well, I don't know if he definately was or not, but knowing the Merchant Navy he would definately know how to throw a punch.

queeq
Sounds exciting, but that's normal when this is not really about politics. More about a misbehaving politician.

ratcat
Yeah, but don't you think he should be a little above that sort of thing?

I mean, this happens to politicians all the time, this guy is suppose to be the deputy of the man who runs the country!!

I dunno, I can see why he didn't it, but I can't condone it.

queeq
Ah well, he's only human. Most politcians seem to have no life in them anymore. Dead from the neck up.

ratcat
That's pretty much the feeling in the UK. If anything, rather than damage the election campaign, it's done the party some good.

Ushgarak
Luckily he didn't follow up, so he has a get-out clause

ratcat
Hmmmm, not sure on that. Like I said, I can see why but I can't condone him for it.

Ushgarak
It's not exactly a good example, no, but as it is it wasn't illegal so he's ok in a career sense.

razman
What do you think he should have done?

ratcat
Wan't illegal??? He smacked him in the mouth. Now I know some have said it was self defence but others have said it was excessive.

Personally I think it is something that politicians know will happen to them in their careers, be it right or wrong, and he should leave the punching to the security guys around him and not do it himself.

Ushgarak
Well, you would certainly never get a succesful prosecution from that, because you would have to prove that he WASN'T acting in self-defence, which would be tricky.

However it was hardly the most thoughtful thing he has ever done. Shows a lot about him. 'John is John' said Tony, and that sums it up well...

razman
If you actually saw the video, which all the news programs played in slow motion, it looked like he WAS acting in self-defense.

ratcat
Well, that was just another example of Tony being Tony.

However, you know as well as I do that, if someone else had done that they would have been arrested.

queeq
I'm still in favour of a hunting season for politicians.

ratcat
Yeah, 364 days a year would be good.

queeq
No, just once a year. That'll help democracy a great deal. If you don't work for the good of the people, you'll get shot.

ratcat
Isn't that communism? laughing out loud

queeq
Is it? In true communinism there is no government anymore.

ratcat
Wouldn't know, been a few years since I studied politics.

Gundark
Sit down at your desk, RC. Headmaster queeq is going to teach you about life.

queeq
No. 1 It sucks. laughing out loud

ratcat
But I already knew that.

Is ther gonna be a test tomorrow?

queeq
No. 2. I don't. laughing out loud

Test is next week.

ratcat
I'll get a note from my mom.

queeq
Notes are for weenies.

ratcat
Well, I'm a complete weenie.

queeq
Well, then I am telling you. You learned something new today.

queeq
Self-knowledge is the first step to wisdom.

ratcat
Well, I've known that I'm a weenie for a long time so I must be well down the road to wisdom.

queeq
I guess you must be.

ratcat
*Inner Glow*

queeq
I finally made him feel good about himself. big grin

ratcat
I always feel good about myself, it's the other people I feel bad about... smokin'

Gundark
Don't feel bad about me, I'm always having fun creating mayhem or...well never mind that. evil face

queeq
OK, well, that's not really news, RC. big grin

ratcat
Well, if it's news you want....

N E W S

laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud

Gundark
What about sports and weather ?

ratcat
S P O R T S
W E A T H E R

Anything to oblige....

Gundark
Quite the well-rounded anchor, aren't you ?

ratcat
Apparently. big grin

queeq
Maybe we should give you a special news forum.

Gundark
You mean like where RC sits behind a desk with a coat and tie and no pants ? laughing out loud

ratcat
Normal day at the office then. laughing out loud

Gundark
Interesting. smokin'

ratcat
Somewhat, it was a nice day, I wore shorts.... wink

Gundark
Boxers or cargoes or boxers and cargoes ?

ratcat
Hmmm, and now I stop typing.

BTW, I HATE boxers.

queeq
Try a cocker spaniel then. laughing out loud

Gundark

Good one, darling.

ratcat
Hmmmm, foolish dutch boy. stick out tongue

Gundark
Yes, he is quite silly, isn't he ?

ratcat
Yeah, but we like him...

queeq
Awwwe, that's sweet...

ratcat
I know that. wink

queeq
Of course.

ratcat
I think we have sunk to new depths of Off Topicness...

ratcat
I think we have sunk to new depths of Off Topicness...

queeq
I'd call it "risen to new heights". big grin

Anyway, the end.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.