21st Century Holocaust

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

jellabon
Did anyone hear about the Jew leader who said all Arabs should be killed?

What an a$$hole!

JediOasis
Some people. When will everyone understand how stupid they sound? mad

ratcat
I guess we can't see it from their perspective. They feel that they are perfectly justified in their words and actions. That's not to say they are at all but it's a big difference of culture and religious beliefs. (That old chestnut)

I can't say I agree with what he's saying at all, in fact it scares me silly to even think about what might erupt in that part of the world.

mechmoggy
I don't agree with him either and RC is right about how they feel. To qoute a wise man...

"...many of the truths we cling to rely on a certain point of view.."

Gundark
Why can't we all just get along ? cool

Lord, you give them eyes, yet they cannot see.

ratcat
I guess that because in their eye the your lord didn't... I know it doesn't make sense, but then so little does in this world.

toochilled
If you look hard enough you'll find the same views everywhere, just in some places they're easier to find.

You go to N.Ireland, East Germany, the Deep South - it's not hard to find. Sadly.

Dim
Unfortunately it's not too hard to find anywhere.

ratcat
I don't really agree. The religious aspect of the regions is very different. I know there were religious aspects to the conflicts ion the areas you mention. But I'm not sure any of them could be called a holy war.

Gundark
There's plenty of land on this planet for everybody to share. Too bad some people just can't figure that out. sad

queeq
Interesting little detail is that in their mosques Palestinian religious leaders tell their people to do the same thing to the Israeli's. And they have done so for several decades.

razman
queeq, can I ask you where you got that information from?

The sad thing is, that that person is head on a national party....sadly too much influence.

Gundark
If George ruled the world, it would be a totally cool place. smokin'

zed
There is no doubt that Jerusalem is a different case to anything RC mentioned. And it not that they can't find enough land, what the problem is, is that they share a holy land, and the Jews of Israel want it.

Firstly the land they claim is only one wall of the Synagogue, but they want the rest of Palestine.

They already been given a large piece of Palestine, and have access to their Holy Wall, so why do they want more. As there are more Palestinions then they are Israelis.

Greed is the only answer.

What are your views on why the Israelis want more land?

ratcat
I can only discuss this from a point of view of VERY LITTLE knowledge. I only really know what we see on the news and in papers, and a few badly remembered facts from school ,history classes.

Howevcer, I can see no justification for anyone to declare to their people that the only answer is to cold bloodedly murder the opposing peoples.

War in any shape or form is bad, that's my bottom line.

zed
RC, that's a very narrow minded view.

War is not a good thing, I will admit that, but in some cases it is necessary.

When someone attacks you, you have to defend, and the best defensive move is offence.

Don't take what I said the wrong way, war is a very last LAST resort option, only when the opposing party is violent.

In the case of Jerusalem, their is no war going on, as Palestine have no army. It is a rebellion against the oppressors.

queeq
It is a well known fact that the statutes of the PLO say one of the goals of this organisation is to drive the Israeli's into the sea. These terms were agreed upon to be stricken from the record but it has not happened until today. And even if you strike it from the piece of paper, you don't necessarily strike it from the records of the heart.

Secondly, even in school Palestinian children are taught to hate Israeli's.

Thirdly, the biggest problem is when hate get diluted with religion. Just like in the case of this rabbi. But even during the latest uproar of last week, the Palestinians were called upon during services in the mosques to go out and fight and kill.

Israel's problems are extremely complex. One of the problems of perception is that Israel is a very Western country, yet it is situated in an Arab environment where very different rules apply. We tend to look at the situation from our Western piont of view which tends to make Israel look bad. Fact is that both sides are pretty bad in this situation. IMHO though, is that Israel has no set goals to drive the Palestinians out or to destroy them. The Palestinians however do have those goals towards the Israeli's, supported by their religious leaders calling upon Jihad (the Holy War). That's where things get tricky. Personally, I see no solution to this problem. But there are many many sides to these problems.

DARTH CHIEF
i am a fairly religious person and so dont want to tread on anyones toes with this one. i will try to understand and respect all religions but the fact is 90% of the wars ever started are caused by religion and greed. although i will say that half of that % were started by people who use religion for an excuse to further there own greed the fact still remains. seems a shame in the world when the christian capital of the world is plauged by death and violence and this is supposed to set a example for the rest of the christian world.seems to me these days hypocrisy (spelling???) is the keyword . please dont shoot me down for this comment its just the way i feel and i know there are some deeply religous people out there in the world.

queeq
I think you are right DC. I do agree religion is often used as an excuse to expand on power and influence. But some religions DO advocate war on behalf of religion. Islam for instance knows the concept of Jihad, a Holy War on behalf of Allah. Fighting such a war does not sound like hypocrisy to me. More like... devotion.

ratcat
OK Zed, I see you point. Let me rephrase what I was saying.

Rather than "War in any shape or form is bad, that's my bottom line."

I think what I meant was that to start a war is bad. To defend ones rights/soveriegnty/beliefs is a different thing. Offenmce is the best defence? Maybe but you have to be sure you are being attached first. Hard, I know, which is probably why it never works that way.

We are, supposedly, a planet of intelligent beings but when it comes down to it the only answer we have when things aren't going our way is to have a fight in the playground of life...

I marvel at just how much money the planet spends on the development of weapons. I once read somewhere that a statictic had calculkated that as a planet we spend money more on war than we do on medicine (including reserch) and education. The retio was something like 100:1. Not sure if this is accurate but it seems like it when you consider that one F-14 Tomcat costs something like $34miilion...

I don't know as much about the issues of the middle east as I should so I find it rather hard to make informed comment. Sorry.

queeq
I doubt anyone can make any sensible comments about the middle east anymore, RC. It's very very complicated.

As for weapons, well, it's the biggest industry in the world. Gotta keep it going, so starting a war here and there booms our economy. And since our economy is now our highest value in life and politics, it seems quite understandable. Please note the sarcasm here.

ratcat
Ahhhh, the regime of the capitalist huh.

It really is a terrible state of affairs, but in that respect I think we all share some of the blame.

queeq
Yes we do. Let's all vote for the tree huggers. laughing out loud

queeq
Ask the Tree Hugger of these boards, whom you know so well.

ratcat
Dim? A Tree Hugger? That's news.

ratcat
Never quite understood that phrase...

Dim
Oh great..are you calling me a Tree Hugger?

razman
http://www.afamilytree.com/images/annie.jpg

Is this what Dim does? laughing out loud

ratcat
QUEEQ started it!!!

queeq
Yes, Raz, that's exactly what she does in her spare time. laughing out loud

ratcat
Wha...??? She's seeinga Tree behind my back...

sad *Heartbroken* sad

queeq
Well, it's a very nice tree.

ratcat
NOt for long it isn't

*Grabs large axe and heads towards said tree*

Gundark
I don't think you ground that axe long enough first, RC. laughing out loud

queeq
Oh, RC. Now I see. You're one of those. cool

finti
Nice turn off topic from arabs extinction to tree hugging roll eyes (sarcastic)

Gundark
Ahem, I would just like to point out that it wasn't my fault....but if Dimmy wants to hug trees I don't think RC is gonna go along with it. Dim is barking up the wrong tree. laughing out loud

ratcat
ACtually, I think Dimmy is just Barking Period!!!

Gundark
Well she's not here to defend herself so I will. (Pulls out lightsaber) smokin'

queeq
It's her barking period?????? You make her sound like a very very strange girl. big grin

ratcat
Well, when the moon is full...

Yeah, I know she's not here to defend herself. But I also know I'll pay for it all later..... laughing out loud

Gundark
Better go to the bank. Then call teleflora..... laughing out loud

finti
Interflora is online, send her a cyber boquet wink

queeq
Nice and cheap. Like your jokes. laughing out loud

ratcat
Been there, done thaqt.

Did you know that if you order before 4:30pm in the UK they can deliver in Idaho before mid-afternoon....

I was impressed.... smokin'

queeq
No, I didn't know that? Should I have? So is this a regular thing, RC?

ratcat
Actually no, but it's nice to do something to surprise her once in a while. I think the flowers thing is a bit old now. Have to come up with a better surprise for the next one. evil face

razman
I've got an idea...how about laying in a T1 connection for her? That way she doesn't have to use that crappy AO-HELL.

ratcat
Actually, I think where she's living right now isn't too longterm so I don't think that would be the brightest idea.

Why a T1, she'd never use it. I did suggest DSL. Maybe I'll have to influence her a bit in that direction...

razman
Don't be cheap RC, get her an OC-3.

ratcat
Hmmmmm, what's she gonna do with THAT kinda kit.

Jeezz, that's some bandwidth and she's only got one little PC to plug in. What's that, about 155Mbps or something like that.

I know, a nice Catalyst 8540 with 8 ATM modules. Kinda overkill but it would sure be fast... laughing out loud

I've got Datacenters running less bandwidth!!!

queeq
She will be sooo surprised when she gets it up and running. laughing out loud

ratcat
Yeah, but more surprised that it got paid for. Not on my salary, that's for sure...

queeq
Oh come on. ITC people make a fortune, you can afford it. Especially for "the love of your life".

ratcat
AT least one of those statements is a mis-conception... smokin'

queeq
Hmmmmm, I wonder which one....

Not the one about making a fortune, that's for sure. So it's "love of his life" or being able to afford it. I would guess the first but what if he has an excessive lifestyle..... hmmmmmmmmmm.

razman
When did RC start work for the Independent Television Commission?

ratcat
I was wondering that as well. Now you know which one was the mis-conception.

queeq
ITC=Information Technology and Communications. They added the C to IT recently. Guess you're not in the high paying salaries after all.

ratcat
OK, who's "They" and do "They" work for ICL?

Anyway, my Job Title is Technical Design Authority - Data Centers.

queeq
You're an.... authority on something?

razman
Right, this topic has changed courses several times.....and for some reason I don't think it will go back on topic.

Also to avoid a fight breaking out I'm going to close this topic...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.