Star Wars Iv-v-vi Dvd

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

imhotep
I saw today rumours that it might come out as soon as the last quarter of 2004, and it would be of the same type edition as Indiana Jones, 3 DVD's plus one for the extras.

Anyone heard anything else?

DeNiro
i dont know i dont like star wars to much but since my pal lance is the mod here i thought i would go see this movie is it out yet

Darth Hater
what?

episode 3????

what planet you on?

LanceWindu
Umm...DeNiro, it doesn't come out til 2005...check the Episode 3 Countdown.

Ushgarak
As I guess he means the originals, so I shall move this. Answer is, no, not until the new trilogy is complete. Episodes I and II are available though.

yerssot
latest rumors talk about it being for fall 2004 :s

Mist
are they gonna be a box set or individual.
i was looking for them but there only on VHS sad

finti
I heard the 2004 rumor too, and no it was it wasnt a box set.
Maybe they be relased around xmas 2004 as a teaser to may 2005, we can only hope.
There are also been said that they wont be released until after EP III premieres so, we just have to wait and see.

unfortunatly I think the second one is closer to the thruth though

yerssot
woops, I heard they would be in a box with only one extra disc for the extra's... messed

oh well, it will be after 2005 anyway wink

mephistodesigns
i'd like to see them wait until after III for the OT so we can have a nice set of all six in a collector's box. I don't want to have to but them two or three times like I've had to on VHS.

yerssot
why six? people like me already have two plus bonus tracks!
most people just want the OT on dvd, not the PT AGAIN

Darth Hater
maybe they can have both

mephistodesigns
exactly. and there are more extras to Clones for sure, and probably more on Ep1 that he could throw in to please the hardcore fans. But I agree their should be a version of OT on its own for those who don't have to have every napkin Lucas ever wrote an idea on (sadly to say I would want to read those, but I'm a geek with too much spare time. At least Im not a Trekkie! big grin ) But i like learning everything I can about stories I'm really into because it gets my own creative juices flowing and it fun to know.

mephistodesigns
and the box would have some kick@$$ wrap around artwork.

yerssot
I doubt there would be much extra

finti
never cared for extra features on dvds , never watch them. Havent seen them on TPM or AOTC either,.............just the films

yerssot
you miss some great things

finti
im in it for the movies, dont give a rats ass on how it is made

yerssot
well, unfortunatly then, I love to check out how they made certain shots and FX smile

finti
kind of ruin the magic

yerssot
it's not real you know wink

well, the sabres and jedi are big grin

BOB Yup its me
If you want to break a law you could could just buy a bootleg copy, but they quit makin em

yerssot
are you refering to the Thai SuperCDs?

well, in a game they once offered English official SuperCDs messed

Evil Dead
Last I heard, they were shooting for 2006...............they were waiting untill all of the new scenes they just shot to be put into the pictures and putting all 3 back in the theater.........then releasing them on dvd.

yerssot
it's all rumors, but I think it will be after EpIII ... for now

Evil Dead
no, all are not rumors. They shot scenes with Natalie Portman for Return of the Jedi. I read an interview she did that day of shooting months ago...............they did indeed shoot more scenes to be added into episodes 4-6 to tie the old and new trilogies together.......and they are indeed re-releasing them to theaters, just as they did in '97 with the speical editions.

Ushgarak
Evil Dead- those claims are roundly denied by Lucasfilm and have been totally discredited. Rumour only- false. Sorry. Whatever you read was wrong.

Ushgarak
To quote when Rick McCallum was asked:

Q: I've heard rumors that Natalie Portman has shot scenes that will be inserted in to some future release of Return of the Jedi. Is this true?

A: What planet are you from?

No. There would be no reason to do that.

BackFire
That would be awful...

Ushgarak
Yup, and it apparently very much did not happen!

mephistodesigns
I read McCallum's response too. Somebody wanted her inserted with Anakin, Yoda, and Obi-wan at the end.

As for OT extras, the SW Insider magazine has posted pics in several issues of scenes that were shot but cut. So it definetly has deleted scenes. There's a sandstorm scene in ROTJ after the destruction of Jabba's sailbarge, a scene at he beginning (that the ROTJ SE soundtrack contains music to) of Luke recording his message to Jabba and putting the lightsaber in his dome, in ESB there is a scene of threepio pulling a warning label off of a door so that Snowtroopers go in and get eaten by Wampas, there's an extended version of the heroes all talking with Luke after his ordeal in the Hoth wilderness: It's a shot of R2 pulling a bandage away from Luke's face. In ESB there's also an extended version of Han being interogated by Vader that was cut to keep the PG rating. When the Falcon pulls under Cloud City to get Luke, there's an extended scene of Lando on the hull pulling Luke towards the hatch. Go pick up the anniversary issues of ESB and ROTJ of the SW insider, they have the pics of these seens and why they were cut.
Other extras could include: Some of Joseph Campells interviews about myth as he has spoken about Star Wars and was a major influence to Lucas. A collection of print ads through out the OT's release, a look at the phenomenon, a look at the collectibles through the years, a look at the Star Wars weekends, interviews with cast about how it impacted they're careers, there have been several documentaries on its making over the years. Have you seen how much old footage of Indy's production they found for documentaires? I'm sure they can dig up at least that much for Star Wars.

finti
yeah that would have made the Jedi ghost thingie confusion complete

Darth Jello
There are two scenes deleted from ROJ I would like to see. one I saw in a picture in some collectors book had what looked like a royal guard attacking an imperial officer with his pike, the other involves a guard blocking vader's entry into the throne room and vader "pursuading" him with a mixture mind trick/force choke to let him in. Other things that just really bug me are the soundtracks (whatever you think of the prequals, you have to admit that williams has definitely grown as a composer) and all the english text and numerals in ANH. replace it all with aurubish and fix the death star battle control room scene to look more like the geonosis control room scene (leia looking at the radar thingy). The only other thing that I'd fix would be the ESB emperor.

btw, I also heard that they were adding allthe deleted scenes back to episodes 1 and 2 and filming some new scenes for ptm with jimmy smits. I hope the droid ship raid from AOTC gets in.

Now that I'm on a complete ego trip, what do y'all think about this ending for ROJ: new celebrations are shown, including theed, gungun city, kashyyk, kamino, and geonosis. Yoda, obi-wan and anakin appear as spirits, they smile at luke and change into their younger selves. luke and the others look away as in the current ending. the force theme plays as all the other slayed jedi appear around the three, dooku is also with them. slay younglings dart through the grass. all the jedi begin to rise out of the woods, turning to new stars in the heavens. as the camera pans up at a starry sky, they vaugely form a starry image of anakin kissing padme as a picollo plays a short variation of anakin's theme. cut to credits

finti
dont need to alter the OT any further

Ushgarak
Oh, there are deleted scenes from the OT that could go in, that is for sure. Just no evidence of new footage having been shot.

The droid ship raid is difficult to add to AOTC because it was never finished. It would take a lot of work. Possible, maybe, if they can be bothered.

mephistodesigns
i didn't say those deleted scenes should be put back in, just supplied in a separate area as deleted scenes, you know? like all the other star wars movies? Not put back in. They were cut for being deemed useless to the overall film. There would be no purpose in their reinsertion.

Darth Jello
sometimes editing can be a bad thing. dogma, for example would have been much better at its original 3 hour 15 minute length and would have made a lot more sense (not that it didn't make sense now). same with the star wars films. plus i always thought that the endingto Jedi was more than a little weak and anticlimactic. like a crappy michael chrichton novel.

PersefonePotter
Um... to insert Amidala in the pac with the other jedi's would not make sense to me..... since she was NOT a jedi, just married to one. ??

yerssot
don't worry, it was completly false smile

finti
probably a supershadow rumor big grin

Darth Jello
ok, that was my own creation, a fantasy, no SS involoved

finti
might not abbreviate his name into insignia

Darth Jello
this is a fast paced world my friend, abbreviations are the crutch of the information age. course, I wouldn't be surprised Suttle didn't even know who the Shafschussel were. I just wanted a dramatic ending to ROJ and instead, I look at the special edition and see a lame ending turned into a slightly less lame ending. people say it may tie into lucas' supposed sequal trilogy but I hope those movies never get made. The movies are about the fall and redemption of anakin and should end with his death. I just want the end of ROJ to be something spectacular and memorable, not billy dee williams rolling his eyes and clapping while the rest of the cast look on and sway to the music. maybe i'm just too much of a completist. i like for the movies to tie into each other really well which is why its hard for me to watch all the evil dead movies in order. well, thats my spiel

Darth Jello
oh, and i'm glad williams is reorchestrating the trilogy (this is confirmed, he said so himself), you have to admit that he's grown as a composer and that compared to the prequals the soundtrack of episode 4 just sucks.

imhotep
You are most mistaken Padawan. There is nothing like the original soundtrack. Everything he made after it sounds much the same, i'm not conplayning I love the guy.

The Emperors march is THE Star Wars best theme music, period.
And I can't wait to watch them all on my Home Cinema. I'm buying a projector and a 80" screen to watch them all in a row. I hope I save enough money till then...smile

xeous
Is it known when the OT is comming out on DVD? If it's after Episode III comes out, I might just go out and buy it on VHS. I forget 99% of the movies. I saw them when I was 7 and I'm 17 now...I also didn't understand much when I first saw them...So, is there a date on which they will be out for DVD?

Ushgarak
Merged

yerssot
no

popular rumor is christmas 2004
GL claims it's after EpIII

Darth Jello
september 12th 2004, is what the guy who owns an independant dvd store by my house said, after getting questions about it, he called in to a distribution site. He got word later that the release was scheduled for sometime between 2006-08, i'm guessing that's the archival edition and the earlier date is for the special edition. other than that, the strongest evidence I can think of for the existance of thearchival edition is that ep1 and 2 are being discontinued indefinitley starting december 31st

yerssot
the archival edition is still a big rumor though

VengeanceGOD
What is this archival edition?

Darth Jello
its supposed to be the final version of all six movies all in one package, with new effects, new scenes, and deleted scenes added to all the movies, glitches fixed in the OT, and a completely rerecorded and somewhat reorchestrated soundtrack for the OT. John williams already stated that he is in the process of reorchestrating episode 4. whether they will be out in theaters or not is unknown

yerssot
a faint wish that the rancor scenes will now finally be well done

Darth Jello
thats what i mean byfixing glitches

xeous
What's wrong with the rancor scene?

yerssot
it's terribly done! worse blue-screen out of the entire trilogy I think

VengeanceGOD
Mostly just the parts when the Rancor's hand is reaching for Luke or the Gammorean look really fake-like in an old Japanese monster movie.

mephistodesigns
yeah it does. they had such a thick black stroke around Luke's body. Its like he's standing infront of a giant movie screen, like the way they used to film people driving back in the day. I'd much rather they CGI his rancorous self.

Darth Jello
it has some matte problems

VengeanceGOD
But there are a lot of things in Star Wars that SHOULDN'T be changed. The space battles look MORE than fine in the originals-they don't need to be CG.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.