Stanley Kubrick

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BackFire349
Well, here it is, teh thread to discuss one of the most innovative film makers of all time, whether you love him or hate him, let your thoughts be known in this thread... i will now rate all of his films from a scale of 1-10

Killers Kiss - 7

The Killing - 8

Paths of glory - 10

Sparticus - 8.5

lolita - 8

dr. strangelove - 9

2001 - a space oddessy - 9

Clockwork orange - 9.5

barry lyndon - 7

The Shining - 10

Full Metal Jacket - 9.5

Eyes Wide Shut - 7.5

How about you guys? you love him? hate him? if so why? i personally think he is the most talented director to ever make a film, they always strived for originallity over anything else, he sometimes got flack for this because occasionally the premis of the film wasnt one to match his original vision, but its definately something respectable.

CandyKoRn
Love him... He's different..

I love to watch his films... very interesting, never boring (unlike other films.. no expression)

lukeyduckey
Full metal jacket 7/10 Loved the first half, but then it went down hill. Soz only one i seen out of them

Kes
I've only seen The shining and eyes wide shut.
The shinig I was a bit disapointed because I heared really good things about it and to me its just nothing special.
eyes wide shut is just well pointless. Sorry but that whole underground thing that is never explained just pissed me off messed

silver_tears
i dont really appreciate him much and ive seen a few of those films

BackFire349
i dont see how you can watch any movie made after his and not apreciate him, his influence can be felt heavily in nearly every movie that is made nowadays.

mardook
Killers Kiss - Haven't seen it!
The Killing - Haven't seen it too!
Paths of glory - Never saw it!
Sparticus - Saw it... was very interesting
lolita - Again... I saw it. Very creepy but somewhat too avant garde.
dr. strangelove - Saw bits of it... fell asleep.
2001 - a space oddessy - Liked it as a kid... it was interesting.
Clockwork orange - Saw it... thought it was awesome. Albeit to graphic for its time. Still is in some ways.
barry lyndon - Nope. Never saw it.
The Shining - Ahh... I liked it while my mom hates this and Jack Nicholson along with it. Hehe!
Full Metal Jacket - I like this movie and was about 11 when I saw it on Cinemax.
Eyes Wide Shut - (shudders) I hate this movie... only watched it from the beginning.

Now... imagine what A.I. would've been like had Stanley Kubrick directed it himself. I think it would've been a far more darker film and maybe more edgier. Don't you think?

eddiedeweese
Clockwork orange and The Shining will always have a special place in my heart

eddiedeweese
Mr. Nicholson

Bad Boy
I thought adrian lyne did lolita

BackFire349
there is a remake of lolita starring jeremy irons, that may be the one you are thinking of BB

Kubrick did the original, it was made in 1962 i believe.

ragesRemorse
stanley kubrick doesnt get nearly as much respect as he deserves. The man had every thing that only a hand full of movie directors have today. This includes originalality, creativity, talent, vision and respect. Only a few directors today understand movies like he did which is why there is an over abundance of garbage in the movie theaters.

My favorite movies of his are eyes wide shut, a clockwork orange, full metal jacket, and the shining. I wish he would have lived long enough to make minority report i think that movie would have been good if he made it.

BackFire349
he wasnt going to make minority report, i believe you are reffering too A.I.

ragesRemorse
the concept of minority report was kubricks

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
the concept of minority report was kubricks

Uh... I don't think so. It was a Philip K. Dick short story, I thought? A.I. was Kubrick's project that Spielberg took over.

Kazenji
Only Full Metal Jacket & The Shining does it for me.

Wingsprint
Kirk Douglas wanted to make the film so bad he threw some of his own money in to get it done..because nobody would fund the film....It is a classic and a sample of how the upper leadership regarded the men as expendable....

Paths of Glory is a 1957 American anti-war film by Stanley Kubrick based on the novel of the same name by Humphrey Cobb. Set during World War I, the film stars Kirk Douglas as Colonel Dax, the commanding officer of French soldiers who refused to continue a suicidal attack. Dax attempts to defend them against a charge of cowardice in a court-martial.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Kazenji
Only Full Metal Jacket & The Shining does it for me.

Oh man, Full Metal Jacket is one of my all-time favorite movies. Such a masterpiece. The Shining is effing excellent, too. I didn't like Lolita much at all. Felt it dragged on a bit longer than it should have and... just wasn't interesting to me. I really like all of his movies except Lolita. Spartacus was good, but it was a bit more dated than his other works, unfortunately.

siriuswriter
Originally posted by BackFire
there is a remake of lolita starring jeremy irons, that may be the one you are thinking of BB

Kubrick did the original, it was made in 1962 i believe.

Is this the one with Ann-Margaret?

Also, I've seen eyes wide shut, I agree it was a pretty crappy movie, just an opportunity for Tom Cruise to wander around nekked women.
I was surprised when I hear that was a Kubrick film, but then it made sense. It was probably a fantasy of his...

Clockwork Orange - 5/5 stars. AWESOME MOVIE!!

I've seen many of those movies, but not The Shining. Is that more psychological or more physical horror?

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by siriuswriter
Also, I've seen eyes wide shut, I agree it was a pretty crappy movie, just an opportunity for Tom Cruise to wander around nekked women.
I was surprised when I hear that was a Kubrick film, but then it made sense. It was probably a fantasy of his...

It's been a long time since I've seen it, but I really enjoyed it. But then again, I'm in love with the way Kubrick films.. just the way he uses the camera is mesmerizing to me. I was mesmerized by that film. My take on the film was that it was kind of explaining the key to a successful marriage: fu*k a lot.

Originally posted by siriuswriter
I've seen many of those movies, but not The Shining. Is that more psychological or more physical horror?

Kind of both. Oh, you simply must see it.. asap. It's a classic. The book is good, too. But I'm glad they went with a more understated ending for the movie. If they did the ending to the book it would have been over-the-top cheesy.

Kazenji
2001 was boring well for me it wa.... one way to send you off to sleep.

Esau Cairn
He may be well respected but I wouldn't say he's an outstanding director.

I mean everyone remembers The Shining for Nicholson's role rather than what the director did.
And even Stephen King wasn't totally sold on Kubrick's adaptation.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
He may be well respected but I wouldn't say he's an outstanding director.

I mean everyone remembers The Shining for Nicholson's role rather than what the director did.
And even Stephen King wasn't totally sold on Kubrick's adaptation.

Uuh.. think again. He's superb. That's the thing with great direction: when it's done right you don't notice it and you take it for granted. He does it right. Watch The Shining or Full Metal Jacket again. Both of those are superb.

Mr. Rhythmic
I've seen "2001," "Full Metal Jacket," and "Dr. Strangelove."

Dr. and FMJ are purely brilliant. 2001 I found to be an experiment that didn't work.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Mr. Rhythmic
2001 I found to be an experiment that didn't work.

It helps a lot to read the book. I always had trouble making much sense of it before I read the book, but it's a pretty epically brilliant concept and deserves massive respect.

roughrider
2001: A Space Odyssey is my all time favourite film.

And Dr. Strangelove is in my all time top ten as well.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.