Blue And The Green LiteSabers....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SimK68
Whats the diffrence? Is the green more powerful? And is it for more advanced Jedi?

Rogue Jedi
its probably just the users preference, thats all......

Lyn
Mace Windu has a purple one so I dunno...

Hypernova
What are the sabres made of?

Jedi/padawan's don't go to the Council store to purchase them, do they? ninja If I remember correctly, this part of their training isn't it?
K, will read up on starwars.com

Ushgarak
Whilst there have been plenty of attempts- for colour to denote Force Philosophy or seniority- it has proven impossible to say that sabre colour is down to anything other than preference.

Sabres are made of... well... hi-tech stuff. We know they have crystals that act as batteries (some people think the crystals are for focussing but thay seems doubtful).

Canonical stuff on it is non-existant; the ROTJ radio version has some semi-canon comment on it.

Hypernova
Where are these crystals mined? Do the bad guys all shop in the same place? santa beer

yerssot
it's just a color and that's all, otherwise if one was better, everyone would take that color

LanceWindu
Yeah what yerss said.

The crystal's some say acts as the color of the lightsaber.

Green makes a green saber, blue for blue, red for red, etc.

Mace Windu was supposedly given some purple crystals a long time back and he uses them for his lightsaber.

Baylin
My thoughts...

The crystal is for focasing a light into a laser (like a real laser).
The technical part in the sabre handle is the bit that controls the blade length/intensity.
The colour of the blade comes from colour of the crystal which is down to the preference of the maker.
I seem to remember Gantoris made a multi-crystal sabre that could change colour.

Ushgarak
Well, the best source we have (ROTJ radio) says that the crystal is used as a battery, not a focus, and so could have nothing to do with colour- the blade is instead focussed through a lens.

yerssot
*waits for people to comment that Mace has a red and blue crystal in his sabre*

Ushgarak
(it will come)

LanceWindu

*Waiting*

Now what yerss?

yerssot
well, give it some time big grin

Lyn
Shall I say it?? stick out tongue laughing

LanceWindu
Sure

Rogue Jedi
there are two crystals in lightsabers. there is a primary crystal, then a focusing crystal. in the rearmost part of the hilt is a diatium power cell.....it provides power to the primary crystal...then there is the focus crystal....

Baylin
Well that makes sense! So I was nearly right!!!! big grin

Hey what about Mace having a red and blue crystal in his sabre?

Hypernova
How do you know this?

Ushgarak
There are only EU sources that talk of a focussing crystal. The most canoncial source we have directly refers to a 'focal lens' (which is also described as having a concave surface).

Celsius
How do they work?

A sertain ammount of radiatio, when passed through the chrysal, stimulated the millecules in the chrystal and creates a force field of pure energy. The chrystals that emit the red glow pruduce the purest energy (By a tiny ammount, not even worth worriing about) thus they are slightly more powerfull, but are in fact slower. Gree is the fastst saber, blue is an inbetween.

I read this in a book somewhere, I cant really remember.

Baylin
Taken from the SW fact file Weapons section

LIG2 (Darth Mauls sabre)

When the lightsabre is activated, a tremendous charge of energy flows from its power cells. This is focused into 2 tight, parallel beams by a series of multi-faceted Adegan crystals or jewels, which causes the blades' red glow. The blades are formed via beam emitters and projection plates, arcing back to a negatively charged high energy flux aperture.

LIG4 (Luke Skywalkers Green Sabre)

Unable to buy an Adegan crystal Luke was forced to synthesize one in a small furnace. More sophisticated sabres have 3 crystals to allow adjustment of blade length and amplitude. Due to the time it took to make one Luke couldn't consider making all three.

There isn't anything that says how the blade colour is produced therefore I assume its down to the colour of the crystals used.

Ushgarak
... all EU...

Baylin
It's good enough for me. Allthough how can Lukes and Mauls be EU?

Mujaffa
eek!

Lyn
You know what I think??
I think Mace has a red & blue crystal in his sabre!! stick out tongue wink

*winks at Yerrsot*

Ushgarak
It's not the sabres that are EU, it is those descriptions of how they work.

Rogue Jedi
so, ush, educate us....how do they work? how do blasters work?

finti
all we can presume is they have some sort of power cells, some cut scenes from TPM shows that Obi Wans saber doesnt work thats why he is just running from that droid scout. There have never been any explanation on how sabers or blasters work though so we really wouldnt know.
And I bet we wont learn it in Ep III either.

So for those who reads those eu books you can go with that explanation used and just accept it (OPTION1). For those who just are into canonical stuff have accepted it is just part of the technology they have, just as they are able to travell faster than the light.(OPTION 2)

But as of this thread we go with OPTION 2.

Option 1 has a whole forum of its own called
Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe

Rogue Jedi
they are both energy based weapons, ill leave it at that.

Baylin
I dont care what anyone else thinks I'm right and thats that! stick out tongue

isnt it... confused

Vim
here's what i've heard, the light sabre is actually a looping laser, and it has to be condensed tightly together to produce the light sabre, the crystals which both power and give the lightsabre its color are from different places. As you all must know, the Sith were banished, well where they were banished to, i don't know, but it must have had lots of red crystals, which is what all those on the dark side use as their light sabre. And in Ep 4, the one given to luke looks more white, but that was at the early stages of making light sabres... (For those who think light sabres may exist) in the movie, as a post production effect.

yerssot
eek!
I knew it! I just knew someone would say it! big grin

Ushgarak
Seriously, you don't want to try and get into technical discussions of how sabres work- that way madness lies.

Lyn
I knew it! I just knew someone would say it!

IT WAS ME!!! happy

Rogue Jedi
ush is right...lets quash it now before we start a kmc saber war.

Hypernova
I want a purple one too!

I read at StarWars.com that it was part of Lukes training to make his own sabre (or something along this line) I take it that it's not essential to jedi training or being a jedi?

The idea would have been cool!

finti
Deep Purple must be it, at least for me....(deep purple is my all time fav band...........until they reformed in the mid 80`s that is)

Ushgarak
Actually Vader's line to Luke in ROTJ about having built his own sabre makes the idea that it is an essential part of a Jedi's training rather credible.

finti
yeah seems like the final task

yerssot
no! not lyn! sad wink

Baylin
was me....

Anyway I'm right so there!!!!! stick out tongue

Lyn
confused

yerssot
you said that red and blue makes purple (about mace's sabre) sad

Metroplex
Check out Knights of The Old Republic. The colors actually mean something

Ushgarak
That, again, is EU. This is a question about the films.

Rogue Jedi
the films dont explain how a saber works.

finti
actuall it does, you push the button on the hilt and................................ voilla it shines wink

Baylin
laughing

Lyn
I thought you wanted someone to say it...?? sad confused

yerssot
but not you! sad wink

Lyn
Ohhh... laughing

Rogue Jedi
well, duh, finti.....on means on and off means off......thats like saying you turn the key and turn on your car....it doesnt explain about the mechanics of the engine and all that.

yerssot
there's a ...key??

Ushgarak
The question asked was not how do they work, it is what do the colours mean.

Though of course the films don't tell us that either...

Lyn
It doesn't really mean much to me...blue, green & purple are for good guys (plus any other bright colours) ONLY red is for the baddies.

yerssot
yup; the lyn is right wink twas what GL said, and we bow to his ...er.. wisdom? wink

Lyn
laughing
Yeah..genius...wink

ElStuddo
Boy, has this grown. smile

Lyn
The thread??

finti
topic please

mephistodesigns
The Sith have red because they synthesize them to make them superior in strength to the blades of the Jedi. I believe this was covered in Jedi vs Sith as well as in the Essential guide to Weapons. I personally think we've only seen Jedi weilding green and blue on film because ILM is too lazy to throw in orange, yellow, more purple, etc. Maybe in test shots other colors just didn't look right. There are cut away shots of lightsabers in the Visual Dictionaries. And I'm not so sure how much of the EU stuff in necessarily BS. I mean, somebody on a DVD, I think a production artist, when talking about how much Lucas tells them to help them create, said that Lucas was explaining to them during EpI how the Gunguns mine those blue energy spheres they launched at battle droids and how they use the energy to power Otah Gunga. I think a lot of it does come from him, and maybe just gets expanded on by whoever designs the final product.

Ushgarak
No, sorry, it is without doubt that the EU is BS when it comes to explaining this. Just because GL tells his crew some things means nothing at all.

So all of that is pretty useless.

finti
thank you USH

mephistodesigns
I don't get why people are so against EU. Just cuz its not on film it sucks or what? I think until Lucas releases some sort of list about which stories he likes and which he doesn't, that its in continuity (assuming its not SW tales or the Ininities). Plus, I'm sure everyone has there own little continuity-what they like they like to think is canon, what they don't like isn't. So I guess it just comes down to choice. And Lucas does authorize these guide books so what's the point of having these liscensed reference books if we're not supposed to use them as reference?

mephistodesigns
I guess that why we should only go by movie when discussing movies, because of the choice aspect of the EU. One fans canon is another persons crap?

Ushgarak
No. Canon is NOT a matter of opinion, it is a matter of fact. There is no such thing as 'one person's canon', there is only what is and isn't. It has been STATED that the EU is not canon- it is Lucasfilm's official policy. This isn't having anything against EU- it is simply acknowledging the way it is. I am sorry- until Lucasfilm changes its mind, this is just not up for debate- a debate we are certainly tired of. So this is the way it is, and only canonical sources- i.e. the films- can be taken as fact. So please do not state non-canon sources as factual, only as opinion.

If you want to dicuss EU continuity, there is an area for it. If you want to make EU- even just a part of it- canon, talk to Lucasfilm, not us. Until then, the situation remains as it is.

yerssot
being too lazy to make orange, yellow, ...?
I don't think so!
orginally there weren' blue sabres, till they had to make luke fight at tatooine in ROTJ and the blue totally disappeared with the blue sky they had, so they had to make it green to get it all done right.

there are only a limited amount of colors they can do without it seeming totally wrong and "unrealistic", namely: blue, green, red and yellow, purple, cyaan

mephistodesigns
Yerssot-that was a joke, sarcasm. You expanded on what I was saying, how the blades might not look right in certain light. I said that it was more than likely a technical decision because look at the arena fight: orange, red, and yellow would have been very hard to see and most likely ended up blending occasionally. With that and the red only for Sith rule, you're only left with green and blue. So yeah, I totally agree, there's only so much they can realistically use.
Ush-I wasn't saying 'one person's canon' like they could use it as a debate point, I just meant that if someone wants to believe that a certain book or comic is what happened to a character, since they ARE all fictional anyway, than they're allowed to. We can accept any story from lucasbooks IF we want to. But I agree that it should not be allowed in debate unless it is directly about that particular story.

finti
EU is spin off products that aint debateable even if it is about charachters.
We get the info we need from the films. They are the works of George Lucas, all the novels and stuff IS NOT the work of Geroge Lucas. George Lucas uses HIS WAY making the films which means the books and their stories aint of any interest at all besides for what ought to be discussed in the EU forum which was made for the purpose of discussing the spin off products of Star Wars. Her we talk FILM

Naredhel
I just posted this at TFN and I'll post it here too stick out tongue

Oops... posted without writing anything. Well, I was thinking about lightsaber colours and the theory behind them, just wondering. I noticed that often the more superior Jedi have green sabers and padawans have blue sabers. Ok, don't count Mace in this. Think... Luke gets a green saber in ep 6, Yoda, Qui Gon have green. On the blue side is Obi Wan though, which kinda throws things. Then again, he went from being the padawan straight to training Anakin, who was headstrong. Also, Lucas hadn't had green lightsabers before ep6 - all were blue (see the original ep6 trailer on the OT DVDs). Also, see Ki-Adi Mundi... but then again he's not a Jedi Master, hence he has a blue saber. Luminara Unduli and Bariss Offee are another example.

Think at he end of ep 2 when Anakin has the green saber and Obi Wan the blue. Symbolic, or chance? Yes, he does then lose the green saber (and promtly his arm). This ties in with the thread about Blue sabers never winning against Sith (although Yoda v Sidious will mess that around... green loses to red!)

So yeah, what do you think? Madness? Or is there something in this?

LandoSpeeder
That is actually a pretty good theory but I don't think that it is completely true or else Lucas wouldn't have made Obi Wan, Ki-Adi-Mundi and other Jedi Nights and Masters have a blue light saber. But I guess thats for you to decide. smile

Jedi Priestess
there is no corellation between light saber colors and ranking of Jedi.

Ushgarak
Yes indeedy. This convo is already going in in the Ep. II area, so moving and merging...

mtryder
For the RotJ explanation, doesn't the part about the concave surface contradict the films, and therefore shouldn't the whole explanation be thrown out?

Back before Episode II came out, I had thought that green sabers represented an ambivalence in the force (Qui Gon and RoTJ Luke). Yoda's saber in Episode II pretty well killed that theory, though, so now I'm back to square one.

Also, doesn't the RotJ radio drama describe Luke making his saber in Obi-Wan's hut? And doesn't Obi-Wan have Qui Gon's saber after Qui Gon dies? Maybe Luke just grabs the spare crystal that's hanging around, which just so happens to be Qui-Gon's old one.

Red Superfly
I like that idea.

DarthVader221
the only reason mace has a purple one is because before the movie was filmed the guy that was going to play windu threw a fit because he wanted his own lightsaber color so they gave him a purple lightsaber.

hardjellyfish
Has knowbody thought that the colour of the lightsabre has no other meaning then a simplemans way of telling everyone what side everyone is one. The reason for the change in mace windus lightsabre could be because he went to kill darth sid in ep lll without giving him a fair trial. maybe his lightsabre was purple to show a metaphore for his upcoming rage.

xyz jedi
I don't think so. It was purple because sam jackson (mace) wanted to be different. It's just a shame they didn't put any backup story line.
But maybe they will be lots of colours in the sequal trilogy.

Bubbapilot
Originally posted by SimK68
Blue And The Green LiteSabers....

As opposed to the full calorie version....

Darth Travizzle
In the KoTOR games, blue is for jedi guardians, green is for consulars, and yellow is for sentinels. But I think that is just for the games.

Saberstylemasta
http: //static.howstuffworks.com/gif/lightsaber-1.jpg

this is the inside of a lightsaber. The crystal determines the color. take out spaces and go there.

TMACalicious
saberstylemasta posted something from this site. this takes you thru everything you wanna know about a lightsaber

http://www.howstuffworks.com/lightsaber.htm

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.