Which Games Consoles Are the Best?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

razman
What games console do you own?
Anyone have any plans to buy the X-Box?

Ushgarak
I haven't owned one in ages, though my family did own an orignal Atari console when I was VERY young, at the start of gaming...

X-Box is interesting, but I guess only the GBA is likely to lure me back in the near future. But if the Gaming PC market keep deteriorating, a swtich by gamers is inevitable.

ratcat
I do most of my game playing on PC. Ben has an N64, mostly because of Pokemon.

I was going to get a PS2 but I'm still deciding.

Dim
It might be a good thing to get if you dont' have a DVD player..kind of kill two birds with one stone, so to speak.

ratcat
Raz, does the X-Box have DVD capability?

Dim
It has a DVD disc drive but a apparently Microsoft hasn't decided if they're going to allow them to play actual DVDs..(according to my source roll eyes (sarcastic) )

ratcat
Can't see why they wouldn't, it would probably increase their market share.

Dim
Agreed..They have to stay competitive with Sony right?

ratcat
Well, I think they would be more worried about the consoles that will be released at the same time as the X-Box...

Dim
I don't think so..Sony is the biggest contender in the game market right? It's bigger than Nitendo I think.

ratcat
But where would be the sense in competing with a machine that has been around for a year? The X-Box should have much better technology inside it.

A year in computing is a very long time.

Dim
True..but the point is that not having DVD capablities at that point would be like a step backward right?

ratcat
I think that was kinda where I was going with that.

Dim
So we're in agreement?

ratcat
Nah

Dim
Yes we are..you can admit it. stick out tongue

ratcat
NEVER!

Dim
Jeesh, you're so stubborn!

ratcat
Maybe, but at least I klnow where I stand.

Dim
Meaning?..

ratcat
Meaning I know what my current situation is.

queeq
Oh please enlighten us, we have absolutely no clue anymore.

razman
It would be very stupid of Microsoft not include a DVD player, when theres a DVD drive attached to it.

It could all be a conspriacy....someone call Mulder and Scully! or should that be Doggett and Scully?

Gundark
The newest game system we have is PS.

Actually, I like Doggett, it's just so hard to imagine Scully without Mulder, you know.

queeq
Mulder's gone? I don't watch X-Files, sorry.

ratcat
Yes queeq, everything is much clearer to me now......

queeq
Oh, do explain...

ratcat
I'm afraid I can't do that queeq.

Gundark
No, Mulder isn't gone..but he was only in six episodes this past season cause he was abducted by aliens.

ratcat
But he won't be back at all next season.

Gundark
I don't like that at all.

ratcat
He wanted too much money

queeq
He was greedy so aliens came and took him? Thanks for reminding me why I don't watch X-files. laughing out loud

Ushgarak
DD was sick of that job. It wasn't exactly greed, just they would have had to pay him a PHENOMENAL amount to keep him interested; they had already done that for two seasons...

ratcat
But isn’t asking for a phenomenal amount of money greedy then? Must remember that at the salary review board next month…

queeq
No, I don't think so. if the show itself can't motivate you enough but the producers think the show will lose ratings (and therefore income) if you're not in it, then you have to find another way to keep you motivated. Money is a way to do that.

ratcat
I guess you're right. But do you really think that's what drives the "big money stars"?

queeq
Well, I hope creativity does. But when a producer wants you so bad to do something you're almost fed up with, you might be persuaded by some extra bucks. I mean, tehre are some actors of whom I wonder why they do certain pics. Take Nicolas Cage for instance, he's done some great films and some really lousy ones. I make me wonder why he does those. Or Alec Baldwin, he was a coming star after The Hunt for Red October and he some some major crappy movies after that.

ratcat
But in the real world do they really need 20million dollars, or sometimes more. No they don't.

Bottom line is that movie stars do it for the money, it's the actors who do it for the creativity.

Sadly, Hollywood has too many of the former and doesn't employ enough of the latter and I think that is a spreading problem across the mainstream movie making community.

JMVHO-OC

queeq
That's not the entire story though, RC. Mind you, studio's and producers make so much money when a good actors stars in a movie. Why shouldn't they, since they producers and studio use them as sales items, not want a decent cut in the share. It's all nice an dandy to just do it for the creativity but if you see a studio run off with dozens of millions of dollars paid by people who've come to see you as an actor, it's only fair to get paid accordingly. The real greedy money people are the producers. Trust me, I know.

ratcat
Well, I guess that was a bit of a generalisation of mine. But it is certainly true that there are a lot of very underpaid actors who are excellent whilst there are some very well paid "stars" who's ability to draw a croud is not based on any great ability to act.

IMHO

Gundark
But Mulder was great. Loved his sense of humor.

razman
But if hes gotta go, then hes gotta go.

I haven't seen the new X-File Eps, any good?

queeq
True, RC. But movie making is also a lot about money making.

ratcat
Yeah, I know, it's a business just like everything else.

But I can't help feeling that big Movie Stars do take advantage. Same with Football players. I was watching a documantry about football in the 30's to 60's when it was just a normal job, non of this thousands of pounds a match type players.

Let's face it, it's not the industries themselves but the entire culture we now live in.

queeq
Yep, and we're all helping by watching movies and football games, going there to see it etc etc. Money makes the world go round, I think.

ratcat
Well, I'm only half helping then cos I hate football. But then I do watch Formula One and Shumey just got a deal for 25 million so I guess I do then. confused

Ushgarak
Meanwile...

Interesting showing at the E3 games show. PS2 was as dull and unimpressive as all the journos expected, but still with a solid base. Microsoft have yet to pull anything particualrly great for the coming X-Box. But Nintendo seem to have come out of nowhere with the Game Cube; looks great and cheap. Being a Nintendo console, howveer, it will never sell that well... the exception being the Game Boy, of course, still the most successful console in the world...

razman
When are the GBA coming out in the UK?

Ushgarak
Good question. The Euro release date is still... unclear.

ratcat

Ushgarak
And they aren't even using the original SNES music for F-Zero... philistines...

Strictly speaking, though, it is called a handheld console... meaningless, I think, but that's how they rate it.

Euro console import laws are ridiculous. Sony included some basic programming stuff with the PS2 to get it classified as a computer rather than a console, so they could pay less tax...

ratcat
Apparently this little box is as powerful as a regular console with a 32-Bit ARM processor with embedded memory.

Nintendo have a massive launch campaign that will really kick in about 7 days prior to release.

Also, I retract my earlier statement, Nintendo are marketing it as a console, not a handheld or a handheld console...

Ushgarak
I wonder if THAT is a tax thing?

ratcat
Doubt it, I think the TAZ thing is around whether it is a recreation device or not.

razman
Its probably just to make us aware how powerful its meant to be.

So is the ARM chip the same as a MIPS RISC chip? Anyone know the speed?

Ushgarak
Can't speak for technical issues, of course, but it is meant to have the same performance as a SNES and still have an efficient battery life, which is always the nub for a handheld.

I do seem to remember them saying that it could do proper 3-d stuff; a first for a handheld, but it simply wasn't worth the bother of making 3-d games for it.

ratcat
There are some 3D games in the pipeline, in the mold of something like StarFox I believe.

As to the processor, not sure how it compares, but it is supposed to process data 17 times faster than it's predessor. As Ush said, the GBA has equivelant power to the Super NES.

The Gameboy had an 8-bit Z80 clone running at aroung 4.2MHz, the GBA has the 32-bit processor but I can't find anything that confirms the speed of this chip...

Ushgarak
In any case, the coming gams look very good.

ratcat
Most of them are just SNES ports, well in the first 12 at least. Though there are 40 others being released between July and Xmas.

wicker_man
I own all three (plus a PC) all of which have there redeeming features for both good and bad reasons, for all round games i'd choose the PS2,for graphically rich games the X-Box and for games that have some orginal and refreshing concepets try the Gamecube,if you want a challenge and want to go up against human opponenets the PC is the only way to go.

Hegemon875
Wow, that basically sums up all the pros and cons of all the platforms!

worldindustries
I have a ps2 they are the best.

KRUGER RULES
Personally i like PS2 out off all game systems because its made by

SONY and its a good reliable system with plenty of games to choose

from. whats is your favorite game system and why?????

el_barto
shouldnt this be in the video game discussion

AND THERE IS A THREAD ON THIS ALREADY n00b!

Tired Hiker
I like pocket pool. reading

MC Mike
Only If the goose is right. pirate

LeAtHerRFace
ps2 or pc

Red Superfly
I have them all, plus a PC.

I also have XBox Live. It makes the XBox superior in every way to the PS2.

The PS2 has NOTHING going for it now that Pro Evo 4 is coming to the XBox. That was the last monumental great game that would have kept my PS2 from gathering dust, but seeing as Pro Evo 4 on XBox will be online also, I'd have to say it'd be better still. PS2 online is rubbish, everyone knows that, or those that don't haven't played on XBox Live.

PS2 is the poser console, for all the poeple that don't know what the XBox is capable of and what caliber of games it has.

I haven't played on my PS2 in a long while, only a few games of Pro Evo are going to keep it alive. The games that are coming out don't even compare to XBox's line up.

Here are the big PS2 games that will attampt to save some of the PS2's grace:

- Gran Turismo 4 - this may be better than Project Gotham 2 (somehow it seems unlikely because GT is getting serously boring now). They are actually making you pay for the demo, as though it were a game. Nice bunch, Sony are.

- Killzone - Wow, big deal. I've seen the choppy framrate of this game. All the magazines are like "its the second coming!". Um, yeah, that'd be Halo 2. Killzone will be good, but I've seen it up and running and I was like "nothing new........".

- Grand Theft San Andreas - I cannot wait for this one, but I know it'll appear on XBox anyway so its not strictly a PS2 game like everyone thinks it is.

Raventheonly
Red Superfly (holding for a moment to wipe tears) absolutely correct. Only final fantasy players and tekken fans cling to PS2. Mine broke after 8 months of use (very relyable lol).

The Force
gamecube roxs rock

Gambit_DDR
I only voted PS2 because DDR is on it. lol
Gamecube gets second, but not by much did it lose.

SaTsuJiN
this is a biased poll.. PC isnt even on here, and thats where most of these damn games come from. (Not to mention what most of these consoles of today are trying to mimic). Wheres the PC love!? mad
Pc has most of the best games evar!

Kaleanae
N64

Maelstrum
if you buy the dvd viewing set....which is basically a remote control you can play all the dvds you want...not just some of them like the ps2 does

Maelstrum
ddr is also on xbox

speiderman
Gamecube has good games. I love gamecube.

Raventheonly
X-BoX!

Maelstrum
agreed ^^

eleveninches
I think that the x-box is the best console, whereas the PS2 has the best games and widest selection of good games.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.