Lucas and his "Diversity"...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

UnknownBountyHunter
I was just re-watching an interview that Lucas was doing before the movie "Return of the Jedi". In there he states that he likes his environments to be diversified and sporadic with the color feel. Hence, Tatooine is the bland-brown type coloring. Then in a more quiet feel, the white color. Then inESB he put in Hoth as the main environment to add ROTJ he added the lush, brightening of Endor which concluded the green color which in return sort of evened things out. I am just curious as how he would pertain this to the Pre-Trilogy. He had many new environments, but also old ones. Naboo evens itself out with the brightness of Theed leveling with the murkiness of the Naboo swamps and the cool feel of Otoh Gunga. Tatooine is bland and sparsley populated, it evens out with the populated and busy state of Coruscant. Now that THAT is over with, here is my prediction, we are all very dignified and confident that Alderaan is going to be in Ep. II and why not? Bail Organa is in Ep. II and he is the ruler of Alderaan. To me Alderaan would strike me as a "heavenly" place. Due to the many splendid grasses (Over 10000 Species) that Alderaan is known for. Plus the good will for what is known for universally through ANH and the EU. So this would make the second "brand new" planet a dark, sort of "hellish" place, wouldn't it? Boucquet said that one planet is brand new, never used before. Korriban and Byss are planets similar to this feel. For those of you who aren't aware of the nature of these two planets, Korriban is considered "The Planet of Dead Evil", its rumored to be the resting place of Dark Sith souls. Byss is the planet where Emperor Palpatine's throne is at. Now, we DO know that the planet is obviously not going to be named Korriban or Byss, but don't you think it would be similar to these two? It would fit perfectly in with Lucas' environmental settings, let me know what you guys think!

*Don't do a 360 turn and disagree with me* wink

finti
You taking a master degree in this or what. All this info on Alderaan, where does it come from, besides the fact Leia mentioned peaceful and we have no weapons in ANH I`m lost on ifo on Alderaan. I dont read the novelisations of SW only the ones for the films.

UnknownBountyHunter
Read The Essential Guide to Planets and Moons. All "Essential Guide" books have been approved by LucasArts, Ltd., and www.starwars.com even promotes this book so I am 80% positive GL does to. In the book on the Alderaan page it states and I quote "For thousands of years Alderaan was famous as a world of unspoiled beauty and a center of art, culture, and education." It also says that it has "distinguished universities and celebrated museums" and that "Citizens of Alderaan were peaceful and prosperous". Does that ring the bell of anything BUT Peaceful and Quaint? I don't think so wink

Ratcat
I can see this. Basically, we've had 2 forest moons, the desert planet, the ice planet, the swamp planet, an urban sprawl planet and the cloud planet.

So the inclusion or a Rock planet, or a Volcano planet would seem logical. I guess a real water planet like Mon Calamarri would be cool too.

I'm not sure what other environments you could have.

Gundark
Uh, finti...I thought that the novelizations WERE about the films. Or maybe you confused me...smile

UBH, that was totally fascinating....I'm sure GL will try to have as many different planets with different atmospheres, topography, weather and overall coloring as possible.

Dim
Lucas seems to have taken a Fung shui appoach to his world building smile

We haven't seen a mountainous environment have we?...or high plateau...but I kind of doubt we will...laughing out loud

finti
*the mighty norse jedi thought the dark side was about confusion since he lives on hoth.*
You are right gundark I didn`t check what I wrote before added it. My mistakea rear one but true.smile

COREWORLD
UBH, another good book to check out is 'The illustrated Star Wars universe'. This contains many of the preproduction drawings done by Ralph Macquarrie, with a text written by Kevin J Anderson. There is a chapter on Alderaan, which it describes as a peaceful world with calm open grasslands and quiet people, it also tells of the huge flying hotels and Crevasse City, in which the people have fashioned a city within the cliff face. There have been a lot of elements which were nearly transfered to TPM (Airwhales, known here as Thrantas) all in all it offers a tantizing view of what is yet to come.

Gundark
Thanks, COREWORLD..have to check it out. Flying hotels. Cool. smokin'

finti
Sounds like a 57 chevy. The designs might just be to much to gothic. smile

UnknownBountyHunter
Thanks Coreworld!! I know about the airwhales, EJ has brought them up, and their design sketches are in the Star Wars Insider that includes the Hayden interview.

Boshuda
Any paintings by Ralph McQuarrie get my vote as being the gospel on all things StarWars. His Alderaan images in the aformentioned book are beautiful!!!
I can't see George throwing away these ideas in place of new ones, seeing as this is an official Lucasfilm book.(There's a painting of a gas refinery above Bespin in there too, and that found it's way into the ESB special edition!)
Check it out guys if you haven't got it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.