Stats about the forum

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

G.P
This is insane but true statistics-about-the forum thread.

Here are the registrations since the beginning of this KMC forum

September 2003 : estimates

G.P
And here is the participation of the Top 15 posters (compared to a global sum of 500000 posts on September, 16 2003)

LanceWindu
I only have 2%. sad

Cool charts nonetheless!

Paola
OMG..OMG!! I see me!!! LOOK!!! I'm that microscopic blue point!!!!
YES!!! Happy Dance

Ushgarak
Blimey, the registration boom is still going... I thought it tail off by the end of summer!

yerssot
see! and let that be lesson to all! I only got 8% big grin

Dexx
oh...2%...nice....But it'll severely drop in my case..

Kes
Damn yerss! And you were on vacation laughing out loud

Kes
Oh cool grafs GP wink

Phoenix
wow - I joined leiterallly the month before the boom really hit off!

Phoenix
mesa not on there *sulks*

but mesa there soon! mesa only four places off the first page!

LanceWindu
That's actually an old chart, I now have more posts that mah, ToMacco, Captain REX and Dexx.

I want to see an updated chart!

yerssot
darn it kes, I hoped everyone forgot that messed

G.P
Oops...it was the Top 20...not 15 embarrasment

yerssot
kes has a high ranking... silver_tears too messed

G.P
Well I'm not going to make a graph every other day to know if someone has gained a higher ranking : This was not the aim of this graph.

My point is that the first 20 posters have written more than 53 % of all the posts on this forum ...

yerssot
which means we have a lot of (smaller) posters which are very active smile

G.P
I'll study this in my next graphs...

yerssot
the official maths-guy wink

G.P
embarrasment *hides behind his finger*

yerssot
thick finger?

when can we expect the october-stats?

G.P
which October-stats ? confused

LanceWindu
Don't ask me...I think yerss is lost in time, it's not even october yet.

yerssot
stats about the amount of members and the share of the posters for the month of october

when can we expect you to post those?

LanceWindu
When he feels like it.

And at the end of October if he wants to.

yerssot
gotcha

please GP!

G.P
Well about the amounts I could post it erm... at mid-October. If it was a recurring phenomenon, I may estimate now but as Ush and the graphs told us, it's a brand new phenomenon (registration boom).

Well before this I will work on the percentage of real participation among the members.

yerssot
real participation ? thought you just posted that!

G.P
What I mean is that some members just register and never post. Others just write 2/3 posts and then never reappear... I will try & know how many members are really active...otherwise the graphs I published won't make sense.

LanceWindu
I'm active!

There's one for your chart!

Captain REX
Wow, those are some nifty charts, GP! How do you get to all that data?

G.P
Thanks.The information is from the members section of the forum.

LanceWindu
You go through all that???

Celsius
Damn! Nice work!

G.P
Erm...Yes... roll eyes (sarcastic)http://www.killermovies.com/forums/images/moresmilies/bangin.gif

Celsius
Bored huh? stick out tongue

G.P
Never ! http://www.killermovies.com/forums/images/moresmilies/bangin.gif It's really fun when you compare to what I've got to do for College...

G.P
Well, here's a preliminary question to prepare my next graph : How many post do you need to be considered as an active member of this forum ? In other words, how many posts do you need to have really participated in this forum ? 5? 10? 20? 50?

(The aim of this question is to determine several categories of members : those who register and never post, those who write only few posts (non active members), etc.)

Tell me if you haven't understood anything. embarrasment

LanceWindu
I'd say it depends on how long you've been here.

Non-Active about 100 posts or lower.

fungrl515
ok. that's kinda scary. do those people spend all their time on the computer? i have like no extra time. But i joined like a month ago, so i think i have an appropriate number of posts.

LanceWindu
I have no life.

That's why I have 11,000+ posts.

Captain REX
12000+. Were'd your life go, buddy?

LanceWindu
I have 12000+ now?

Hmm...

Celsius
Mwa haha I have 2600 or somink like that. big grin

Phoenix
I reckon non-active should be someone who hasn't posted in over two months ((that amount of time should allow for holidays etc))

for example, there are people on the first page who haven't posted in nearly a year! whereas moi posts everyday!

mah
Nah, you can't say someone with thousands of posts is non-active because of a three-month absence.

Lovely graphs btw, GP

yerssot
we weren't complaining wink

G.P
messed Except Lance, no one told me, how many posts does a member need to be considered as active...for I don't think 11000 + is a right answer...

yerssot
200?

LanceWindu
Maybe 100-200.

Fire
I'd go for this:

you make a post per day count, and everyone who has about +0.75 posts per day is considered active imo

fungrl515
gosh, you're smart. i don't wanna do math out of my class.

yerssot
best is if you check the last post and then go to the amount of posts they have, I mean, some who posted a big while ago but not anymore could with the idea of FM still be counted as active

Fire
well those are very few anywayz and you can also take into account the last post date. to rule out any exceptions to the +0.75 Pp.D count

G.P
That's a very good idea Firehttp://www.killermovies.com/forums/images/moresmilies/notworthy.gif

yerssot
he partly got it from me stick out tongue
*desperate for credits*
and I invented the mobile phone too!

G.P
Wow eek!

LanceWindu
I invented the internet.

yerssot
belgian invention lance stick out tongue (combined with the swiss)

LanceWindu
Those damn Belgians!!!

Why'd they have to go and make the waffle internet?

yerssot
because we were looking for a light snack?

LanceWindu
I invented the wheel!!!

yerssot
I knew you were old wink

LanceWindu
Older than you maybe.

yerssot
I hope so messed

LanceWindu
You young whipper snapper!

yerssot
young and bad to tha bone

G.P
wowowow...Calm down (and stay behind the yellow line please!)

eek! Nearly 46 % of the registered members have never posted !

yerssot
only 46% isn't bad actually smile

though considering the 12% with only 1 post ... messed

LanceWindu
So we are all OTHER's?

G.P
But Why register if it's not in order to post ?

yerssot
because they like to tease us?

G.P
too elaborated...

LanceWindu
Some people sign up and forget all about the site or they lost the name and password.

G.P
Nearly 4,000 people signed up and lost their password ? Well it may explain a percentile of it but...not everything...

I must add that I have, of course, removed from my counting the members that have registered within the last 7 days.

yerssot
why? sad

G.P
Because within a week it is still possible that they register and come back a few days later...

PS: Me go to bed

Fire
nice graph GP

G.P
Wow I've just realized something while I was hanging around in the members section for the pupose of my semi-useless graphs: The main page of the forum indicates there are about 9,339 members, but in the members section there are only 6,910 members.
Have the 3,400 members disappeared in the Twilight Zone ?

LanceWindu
Freaky!

We'll have to ask Raz that when he gets back.

DBZFan
Really, well I sertainly am not the kind of person who would pretend like I lost my user name and password.My comp. automatticly logs me on.

LanceWindu
Same here.

DBZFan
Really?

LanceWindu
Yeah, it's the cookies in your computer that holds the information.

I clear my cookies every few days though to start fresh.

DBZFan
Oh I see.

LanceWindu
I don't forget my user name and password anyways.

It's been the same for 2 years. laughing out loud

DBZFan
Same hear.

LanceWindu
I don't know what I'd do with a different name and password.

I have LanceWindu84 at other sites and others I'm still LanceWindu

Phoenix
I reckon... I reckon.... I reckon that on the main page, it says how many have REGISTERED whereas the members bit says how many theyre actually ARE. cos some have been deleted cos of socking and stuff

LanceWindu
None of the members are deleted from socking that I know of, I believe Raz just makes those accounts Restricted.

G.P
My next graph is based on the members registered after the 9/14/03 (I've deliberately cast aside the newer members, because they can influence the stats in a wrong way).

Here are the percentage of members, function of the number of their posts. (Does it make sense ?)

yerssot
I don't feel special all of a sudden sad

LanceWindu
You still have the highest post count yerss.

G.P
You're the only one whose postcount is higher than 40000 !

As Phoe says : "Everyone special"

Please notice that 80% of the registered members that are in the members section have posted 10 messages or less... eek!

DBZFan
Woah!

LanceWindu
I'm glad I'm a minority member, that means all my posts are more special since not everyone has that many.

DBZFan
How much do you have?

LanceWindu
This is 14536

yerssot
another graph GP smile

G.P

Fire
smile it also means all of have the post equivalent of over half this forum smile

DBZFan
*Jaw drops*

yerssot
that's why we are named ACTIVE members

LanceWindu
My count would be higher too if I didn't move so much and lived without a computer for a very long time.

yerssot
at least now you can fake you have a life wink

Fire
true, btw lance that's yerss his dream

LanceWindu
I'm actually starting to get a life now that I'm online longer...it's weird.

yerssot
hmm, I must be doing something wrong

Fire
probably yerss

yerssot
you too, you know

Phoenix
eek! I've been quoted!!!

G.P
eek! That's far more than I could have ever imagined :

2129 registered members in September !!!

Fire
damn that's a lot

G.P
First of all, I want to apologize for making a mistake in my last count of post for the month of September : my first estimate was right, around 1800.

Here is my latest graph. It includes the estimate for the month of October. The number of new numbers seems to steady !!! It may be caused by the lack of update in the main website...

yerssot
indeed, apperently we are over the top, thanks the waffle!

G.P
lack of update, Yerss... messed It may restart with Raz's return...

yerssot
what? and get another member-boost? rather not wink

silver_tears
whoa thats crazy eek!
and im happy to be on that graph big grin

yerssot
yeah, you're a little tiny dot, congrats

Ushgarak
It won;t be anything to do with the main website. The upsurge coincided wth the release of major franchises- Matrix Reloaded and the Harry Potter book both pulled in a lot of Google coverage for us.

Raz
Also remember that we're only mid-way through October, so the figure for October could, in theory, double.

And Ush is right, the majority of our visitors (now) come from Google and not from the main site, although it does still make a useful contribution.

G.P
Well I found the main site thanks to Google... That's why I thought the lack of update about the next 'big' movies was the reason for that (because, looking for news about the incoming films, people wouldn't find the site with google,...).

I used the same method as I had done for the previous months... Count the number of new member for the first fortnight, then multiply by 31/14 or so... It's a little bit simplistic, but until now it has worked quite well.

And the first fortnight of October is very similar to the first fortnight of September....

royal_jester
Hey GP great job on the graphs...good to see that someone is into that kind of stuffyes

yerssot
there ARE other searchengines you know wink

yeah, it's great to have someone with us who wants to make stats, thanks gp smile

G.P
embarrasment please stop it De quoi j'ai l'air, moi ???

yerssot
you don't wink

Fire
lol

Ushgarak
Nah, more people come direct to the forums through Google than to the website. FAR more.

G.P
I didn't know that...now I do...
Thx Ush

Fire
smile

silver_tears
yea very nicely done g.p big grin
i love graphs yes

chico23
Interesting to say the least. Thx.

Raz
Here are the actual stats for the period up to the end of October. We did slightly better than expected big grin

Ushgarak
Ooooooooooooh...

el_barto
damn thats alot of ppl there laughing out loud

el_barto
can u make a most threads started chart?

G.P
Indeed. You were right: (bows down)
during the first two weeks of october : 900 new members
rest of the month : 2300 (Argh ! )

And that does seem to continue : about 900 new members since the beginning of this month (that is to say 5 days)!!!!

yerssot
this is cwazy messed

Raz
Something happen yesterday? whistle

yerssot
I wonder how much posts the matrix thread got yesterday

Fire
lol

silver_tears
the forum was crazy there was like 30 people there at one time eek!

mah
hahaha

burlyman
35 yes

G.P
3872 new members so far this month.
From now on I prefer to be cautious...I will only make graphs at the end of the month...

Raz
We've already beat last months record. Here are the stats for up to today:

wicker_man
I expect that in December we will see a slight increase specially with the next LotR film due out, i mean just look when Matrix Revolutions came out the numbers of registered visitors shot up. Also December is a big time for releases.

LindsIsTightK
Getting all of these new members is scary. I'm still a newbie myself but I was member number 2,000 and something. What are we at now? 17,000+? eek!

yerssot
it's growing and growing and growing ... just like it's on duracell

LindsIsTightK
Is it possible for us to maybe get TOO many members? What would happen then?

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>