Tom Bombadil

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Hegemon875
One of the things I was most looking forward to when I heard that the Lord of the Rings was coming to theaters was to see Tom Bombadil. I think he is one of the most intreresting and mysterious charcters in the books. So you can imagine my dissapointment when he was left out of the film. I know he doesn't affect the story very much but I still would have liked to see him.
I haven't read any of the history of middle earth books but if any of you have and know any information about the origins of Tom Bombadil could you please share.

Orli'sElf7
i know!!!! and his maiden...i was kinda mad that they only did gandlaf being gone for like a day when he was gone for.....like, about 10 years? even more? and then frodo sold bad end and went out with merry,...he bought a house near buckland....and then they met tom bombadil in the forest...that i was looking forward to...and then the hills with the dead ppl?? lol ...they were gonna put him in the movies but then cute him out. for more info go to www.theonering.net and look for info about that in the archives

billyboyd4ever
yea tom was cool, but he wasnt neccesary...sadly

Exa

Hegemon875
I never thought of that before.

Arwenishott
i think that tom was like that of a wizard, athough i f i remember from te books,it says that it was not clear wut he really was.

Sifer
Tolkien himself said he was the "Spirit of the Vanishing" and that "he was an intentional enigma."

Have a read of this to see if it helps you:

http://www.lordotrings.com/noflash/books/bombadil.asp

Arwenishott
actually now that i think of it, maybe bombadil was meant to represent mother nature. in a man's form of course. but to wut he actually is meaning wut kind of creature, elf, man, etc., i do not know.

sammilicious
do u know how hard that song was to get out of my after play FOTR game.. if they'd put that song in the movie.. i'd be singing it for weeks

Ushgarak
His exclusion from the film is the most sensible thing the filmmakers did; he would manifestly NOT be a good film character and would have confused and annoyed the hell out of anyone who was not into the books.

Frankly I can;t stand that bit in the books either.

turin
truthfully, tom is a weird dude and i am glad he wasnt in the movies, although i would have loved to have seen the barrow downs make it into the films.

Exa
PJ also used a song sung in the Barrow Downs, perhaps because he didn't take Bombadil... but Gollum sings it (in a changed version) instead of the ?Barrow Wright?

nemo
totally agree with ya.
that guy's irritating

Sifer
Did any of you guys read that link I gave you?

Exa
Yeah smile most of it.
Not yet ready.

nemo
Sifer, i have read about how tom is supposed to be this someone who is like beyond the power of the ring and how he maybe a metaphore for mother nature, all those things. but it still doesn't change the fact that he's annoying.

FreeMason
Actually, I thought the Silmarillion or the LotR (can't remember which), explained that Tom Bombadill was the first creature to be born (created) in middle earth, and so shall be the last to live in Middle Earth.

Therefore nothing can affect him. He simply is there...

And in a literary sense, would go to show that there is greater power at work than that of Sauron.

Everyting in this WHOLE series is crutially important, and should not have been omitted for any reason...every dialogue should have been preserved.

But then the movie would be 300 hours long.

Sadly, certain things had to go...I hated how they butchered the Mirror of Galadriel and its meaning.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.