Obi-Wan & Yoda didn't kill Darth Vader because:

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

IGOTMYBEAT
Obi-Wan and Yoda didn't kill Darth Vader because Darth Vader was the only one that could kill the Emperor.

*No you're wrong man, cuz dude, cuz like, like Obi-Wan was too old to beat Darth Vader dude!

CORRECT...BUT...OBI-WAN WAS OBVIOUSLY YOUNG ENOUGH TO DEFEAT DARTH VADER IN EPISODE III, SO IT SEEMS LIKELY OBI-WAN COULD HAVE DONE IT AGAIN A WEEK, A MONTH, A COUPLE YEARS, A DECADE LATER...but he didn't.

*Well ya ok man, but like, but dude Obi-Wan couldn't get close enough to Vader!!!

OH REALLY? WELL LET'S SEE...OBI-WAN KENOBI, AT THE AGE OF LIKE 50 SNUCK ABOARD THE DEATHSTAR, RAN AROUND WEARING JEDI ROBES, AND MANAGED TO TURN OFF THE TRACTOR BEAM COMPLETELY UNNOTICED BY THE HUNDREDS IF NOT THOUSANDS OF STORMTROOPERS ABOARD...One would think if he could do that at 50 he could do it at 30.

*Ya but come on dude, Obi-Wan kept egging Luke on to kill his father dude, Darth Vader!!!

BUT LOOK...LUKE NEEDED THE INCLINATION TO KILL HIS VADER, HE NEEDED TO GO FAR ENOUGH TO DEFEAT HIS FATHER AND CHOP OFF HIS FATHER'S HAND AND LEAVE HIS FATHER COMPLETELY DEFENSELESS...AND THEN AT THE LAST MINUTE SHOW HIS FATHER COMPASSION...AND REMIND HIS FATHER THAT JUST BECAUSE YOU ARE MORE POWERFUL THAN SOMEBODY DOESN'T MEAN YOU SHOULDN'T SHOW ONE MERCY...Anakin needed to see the Emperor offer Luke what the Emperor offered Anakin, and watch Luke turn it down. Anakin needed to see this in order to turn back from the darkside.

*But dude even Yoda said Luke needed to kill Vader!!!

YODA SAID 'CONFRONT' VADER, NEVER SAID KILL HIM. AND OBI-WAN NEVER TOLD LUKE TO KILL VADER EITHER.

*But duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude!!!!!!

OK YOU WIN.

IGOTMYBEAT
Um...and I'm really sorry about the CAPS, but I don't know how to do ITALICS or BOLD so...um ya...sorry.

Darth Daft
Perhaps they didn't kill Vader because they still believed that despite his turn to the Dark Side he was the Chosen One and would therefore bring balance to the Force even though he was a Sith.

IGOTMYBEAT
Well what would have been the point of marching Luke off to kill Darth Vader, only to then have Luke electrocuted by the Emperor?

You would be sacrifing Luke...the LAST of the Jedi just to kill Darth Vader...and leaving Emperor Palpatine with no one left to challenge him.

That doesn't make sense unless they knew Luke could turn Anakin, and Anakin would kill the Emperor and fulfill the prophecy.

queeq
Great, we have another nutter on the board. Glad to have you around IGMB. We need people like you.

I think they couldn't kill Vader, because he was way too strong for them. It took the Chosen One to defeat him and that is Luke. But most of you will probably go with GL's weird POV. laughing out loud

queeq abides

IGOTMYBEAT
But...Obi-Wan DID beat Anakin in Ep III, or will...so...I mean...what do you mean Vader was too strong for him?

Obi-Wan could've just killed Vader again like 3 days later...so...???????

And furthermore...Luke CANNOT be the Chosen One because:

1)GL said so.
2)He wasn't concieved by midi-chlorians because Anakin was his dad and
3)Luke never brought BALANCE TO THE FORCE. Anakin did.

So..........................uh...I don't get what you're trying to say. Except, that you're more interesting than a wet pussycat.

Ratcat
In the end it was Vader eho defeated Palpatine and Luke was the catalyst that enabled Vader to define his inner battle and make the decision to redeem himself.

Luke did nothing to the Emperor, and in fact Vader defeated him in a severely injured and exausted state.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Anakin Skywalker IS and WAS (or AWS and IS) the Chosen One.

Jedimaster3838
Yes, Anakin is the Choosen One, but without Luke he would not have fulfilled his destiny. Perhaps the Skywalker family as a whole is the "Choosen One" I mean, whose to say that had Luke not thrown his lightsaber to the side that he would not have defeated the Emperor? Luke could have easily killed Vader/Anakin so how is that possible? Just because Anakin was the choosen one doesn't mean he was the most powerful. It was just his destiny to rid the galaxy of the Sith and thats what he did. And another thing, if Anakin brought balance by destroying the Sith, does that mean that there can be no more Sith?

IGETMYBEAT
OK but the point I'm trying to make is that Obi-Wan and Yoda never intended for Luke to kill Darth Vader, their plan all along was for Luke to turn Anakin back, and for Anakin to then fulfill the prophecy by killing the Emperor.

Should there even be a debate about whether or not Anakin is the chosen one?

Dim
No there shouldn't be...because GL said "Anakin is the Chosen One".

End of Story smile

IGOTMYBEAT
But you know...it's about Obi-Wan and Yoda's intentions, whether they still believed that or not.

Darth Daft
Obi-Wan and Yoda must have been sensible enough to realise that Luke would never kill his own father, and even if he did, wouldn't he have to be overcome by anger and hatred for him to do so? Therefore he would have to turn to the Dark Side. Well not HAVE TO, but you know what I mean.
I think that Yoda and Obi-Wan only wanted one man dead and that was the Emporer. I think they just left the outcome for Luke to decide.

finti
I don`t think ob1 and Yoda let Luke decide the outcome. Remember in ESB they were kind off sad Luke rushed of to help Leia and Han. There was a possibility that Luke might turn to the dark side, he was not fully trained and quite naive.
Ob1 and Yoda wanted for him to stay and fullfill his training to be ready for the final confrontation.

Ratcat
I thinbk that OB1 and Yoda expected Luke to defeat the Emperor, I am not sure they expected the redemption of Anakin, despite Lukes staements that there was good in him.

IGOTMYBEAT
Ya but...I mean come on there's no way Luke who's had a total of 2 weeks training tops over his life could do what 10000000s of Jedi who had all been trained since birth couldn't do. Obi-Wan and Yoda had to have known that.

There is no sense in marching the last of the Jedi to get either ELECTROCUTED TO DEATH or TURNED by the Emperor.

Jedimaster3838
I think that Obi-Wan and Yoda both had strong faith in Luke. Yoda could look into baby Luke's future and see him restoring peace to the galaxy in so many ways. And when the time comes Yoda has faith in the boy. Perhaps it was a little clouded, like Anakin, plus, if Luke messed everything up there was still Leia.

Darth Gehenna
I thin Luke had alot more than 2 weeks, wasn't there a year or two between ESB ROTJ? He probably went back numerous times to be trained, or maybe even for months.

IGOTMYBEAT
I was under the impression Luke trained with Obi-Wan for 2-3 days tops, and Yoda for maybe a couple of weeks on Dagobah.

And BTW if Luke can't kill the Emperor how the heck is Leia who has and never will be trained by a Jedi who is older than Luke was when Luke started training ever supposed to defeat the Emperor?

Jedimaster3838
If Ben/Obi-Wan can talk to Luke as a spirit why can't he talk to Leia? The spirit could still train her.

IGOTMYBEAT
The spirit??? So now a Princess Leia who began her training at 25+ years old is going to be trained by 'spirits' and SHE'S going to be able to defeat the Emperor whom Luke would've lasted no more than 10 minutes with???

Other Jedi have trained since they were born and none of them were able to kill the Emperor but here is Leia who has been trained by Jedi Masters who aren't really there but their spirits are there training her starting at the age of 25 and she is going to kill the Emperor ok...sure...

Darth Daft
But would she really need to be a strong Jedi to defeat the Emperor? I know Luke had to fight Vader on the deathstar 2, but he didn't really need to rely on any physical strengths to fight the Emperor. Perhaps even Jar Jar could defeat the Emperor!

IGOTMYBEAT
Dude the Emperor FRIED Luke! What are you taaaaaaaaaalking about?

Jedimaster3838
Luke also threw his lightsaber off to the side. If he had kept it he could have killed the Emperor. All Vader did was pick him up and throw him off a ledge, anyone could have done that. And as far as being trained by spirits goes, why not? Ben could interact with Luke like a real person, why couldn't he do the same for Leia. It wouldn't take to long to train her, Luke only trained for a weeks, max

finti
Try and pick someone over your head with one hand!

Jedimaster3838
I am sure that Chewie could have picked him up with one hand, but he had no Force power. I didn't mean that everyone could have picked him up, but Vader didn't use much, if any, Force power to kill Palpatine.

IGOTMYBEAT
Dude...Luke could NOT kill the Emperor.

Even Noel Gallagher agrees with me.

Jedimaster3838
Well, if Noel Gallagher says so, then I'll go with that.

Boshuda
ah..but could Noel Gallagher thrash Robbie Williams in a scrap?

Jedimaster3838
Noel Gallagher can do whatever he wants. Robbie Williams is just a "fat dancer" There is only one thing I like more than Star Wars and thats Oasis. I can't wait for their next album. Finally, the other guys are going to write some songs. Not that Noel is a great songwriter, its just good that the others are helping .................Anyways, back on topic.....what were we talking about?

DarthBorgie
Jar Jar! I believe that Jar Jar is the true chosen one. The power of the force brought him to Qui-Gon and will make him a senator for Naboo. Its so obvious, at the end of EpIII, Jar Jar will accidently push Anakin into lava, causing his transformation. Jar Jar began the stories of the original trilogy.

finti
What`s this the tree stooges starting to post in this forum?

queeq
And I thought... they looked silly... on the outside. laughing out loud

queeq abides

Ratcat
Ahem!

OK, well it is definately Vader who defeats the emperor, Luke doesn't get close to touching him. I don't think strength is an issue because the Palpatine is a whithered, frail man in ROTJ, albeit with super strong dark side abilities. Even in the prequel trilogy Palpatine is not big.

As for wookies, they are exceptionally strong anyway so YES they probably could manahge it.

I expect that the armour actually helps to protect Vader to a certain extent as he is lifting the Emperor into the air and most of the bolts fly off harmlessly anyway. This is rather ironic when you think about it.

But the most important point is this. The prophesy says that the chosen one brings balance, I don't believe it will be too specific on how that is achieved.

Ratcat
Ahem!

OK, well it is definately Vader who defeats the emperor, Luke doesn't get close to touching him. I don't think strength is an issue because the Palpatine is a whithered, frail man in ROTJ, albeit with super strong dark side abilities. Even in the prequel trilogy Palpatine is not big.

As for wookies, they are exceptionally strong anyway so YES they probably could manage it.

I expect that the armour actually helps to protect Vader to a certain extent as he is lifting the Emperor into the air and most of the bolts fly off harmlessly anyway. This is rather ironic when you think about it.

But the most important point is this. The prophesy says that the chosen one brings balance, I don't believe it will be too specific on how that is achieved.

Boshuda
...Boy this topic is repeating on me...

JediSith
Maybe they decide they were wrong about vader and that Luke was the chosen one. That Luke would be the one to bring balance to the force. Vader proves that wrong in ROTJ when he kills the emperor.

queeq
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!! Another believer. That is exactly what I hope GL will do. I doubt it but it would be the best. A nice line at the end op Ep3: "He is not the One." Cool!!!

In fact, the reason why I like the concept of Luke turning out to be the chosen one when no one expects a Chosen One to come around fits in mythology. The Arthur Legend tells of Uther Pendragon receiving the sword Excalibur to bring unity to the Land. But Uther fails, strives for the love of another man's wife and breaks up the frail unity of the land by his lust. Uther drives the sword in the stone so no one can be king but him. It is his son Arthur who is only the bearer of arms for his "brother" Kay (like Luke is only a farmer for his uncle. Arthur was adopted by Kay's father (interesting point would be if Owen was indeed Obi-Wan's brother making Luke Owen's adopted nephew)).
So if Lucas would follow Arthurian legend, Luke might turn out to be the Chosen One. A scenario which I would absolutely LOVE.

queeq abides

JediOasis
I would LOVE for Luke to be the Choosen One as well, seeing as how he is my favorite character. But Lucas has come out and said "Anakin is the Choosen One" Of course, maybe he's just trying to throw us off. But, if Luke is the Choosen One, wouldn't Leia be the "One" too? I like the idea that the Skywalker's as a family are the Choosen One's. That away, any one of them could have brought balance.

IGOTMYBEAT
Much like GL cannot put out 2 bad prequels in a row, Oasis will not put out 2 crap albums in a row, so the next one's gonna be a killer.

JediOasis
Lets hope so IGMB. Their last album wasn't the best. I liked it, but thats only because I guess I'm kind of a die-hard fan. And same goes with George Lucas, I liked TPM, just out of habit I guess. The podrace scene and Jar Jar took up too much screen time

UnknownBountyHunter
IGMB do you have multiple personalities?

IGOTMYBEAT
No. YES!!! no. YEAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!! no. NOT NOT REALLY!!!!!!!!!! Kind of. No. I guess.

UnknownBountyHunter
Um, okay. sad I think we need an exorcist in here.

IGOTMYBEAT
Why? I'm not fat.

TalonKarrde
Anakin WAS the chosen one. And he did bring balance back to the force. He and The Emporer were the only two sith lords at that time and Vader killed the emporer and then died from his injuries. Thus bringing the Force back into balance by destroying the sith.

Captain REX

Why the hell did you bump this?! This thread hasn't seen the light of day for over four years!

Stealth Agent
LMAO laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing

you bump this thread up only to state what is now common knowledge.

i rather enjoyed myself reading this thread. *Sarcasim* *The emperor is withered and old and would not take much physical strength to kill jar jar or chewie could do it. All vader had to do was pick him up.* LOL

Darth_Emodas
Originally posted by UnknownBountyHunter
Um, okay. sad I think we need an exorcist in here.

Originally posted by IGOTMYBEAT
Why? I'm not fat.

WTF

Ganner Rhysode
Originally posted by Stealth Agent
LMAO laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing

you bump this thread up only to state what is now common knowledge.

i rather enjoyed myself reading this thread. *Sarcasim* *The emperor is withered and old and would not take much physical strength to kill jar jar or chewie could do it. All vader had to do was pick him up.* LOL

Except I'm afraid you're wrong there, buddy. You'll notice when Vader picks him up, Palpatine keeps on shooting out Force Lightning, which is hitting Vader and causing imense damage to him. Had, say, an unarmored wookiee picked him up, he would have dropped him immediatley, because the lightning would have caused him so much pain.

You might say, "but Ganner, that lightning was bouncing off of him harmlessly," but that's just not true. It's the lightning that KILLED Vader! You'll notice he was still breathing fine before, and afterwards, his suit is malfunctioning, and he can barely walk. If anyone else had tried to pick up Palpatine...

Capt_Fantastic
Anakin Skywalker is the chosen one. Plain and simple. He is the one who defeats the Sith. Sure, it wouldn't have been possible without Luke. But it wouldn't have been possible without a dozen different character interactions between Anakin and the rest. Or a thousand different plot twists, that lead Anakin to be the only one who could destroy the Sith.

Sir Mist
Whats with this IGOTMYBEAT account?blink
Click the profile and it takes you to your own....theres no registration date either...how did they change that?messed

Ushgarak
It was a guest account, a long gone concept.

Clearly pointless, so closed!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.