DC or MArvel comics

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Hegemon875
What comics do you perfer to read DC or Marvel? I like to read DC especially the JLA comics and of course Batman.

http://iambatman_1.tripod.com/batmanpics/manyfaces/batandchild.jpg

Darth Vicious
Marvel comics, they have better stories, better characters and way better artists than DC comics!

DemonicGambit
I agree Marvel is way better. I love the art!

Metroplex
Marvel. Dc has too many crappy charcters

Paola
MARVEL

Sherif
I like the crossovers but Marvel's charecters seem more realistic. Their continuity is better in the Marvel Universe.

MaverickIce
Ha. Continuity. HA.

keif
i always read both but i guess i am more a dc man.....i mean, i love the avengers and defenders and spidey and all, but to me they can't compare to the jla or jsa...adam strange the doom patrol...hawkman and atom...i only got a dollar alowance a week growing up so i bought books with the most heros...now back then i could get 3 books for a buck or a giant sized worlds finest or adventure comics..so dc ussaly won..

Hegemon875
Finally someone who agrees with me.

carnage713
marvel. batman shud switch to marvel he rocks

Darth Vicious
I think that Batman is the only superhero worth anything in the DC universe, they should let Marvel do Batman for a year or something, he is good now, Marvel can make him better!

Cool Black
evil face MIGHTY MARVEL AL THE WAY smokin'

ragesRemorse
marvel has had the best comics and characters. The stories for marvel have just gotten ridiculous and repetitive. the Character changes suck.
I stick to the independant graphic novels anymore. It's nice to see spiderman and batman actually kill people

LeAtHerRFace
MaRvEl RULES!!!! Batman Shud Go To Marvel.

maifoshis
I read both but i prefer marvel because i think the whole X men idea is the best thing since sliced bread but i must say batman is the greatest hero cos hes human and can kick most mutant ass. JLA is wicked too

maifoshis
Also there will never be a bad guy in DC comics like marvel has THE APOCALYPSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

keif
i don't know much about apokolips; i remember when he came out in x factor and changed angel to archangel and his other horsemen..he didn't seem that big a deal to me...in the marvel world the best is still the baddest..dr.doom,red skull,loki,magneto.those are evil guys...

ragesRemorse
no magneto is more neutral, he just has a distorted vison. he fights alojngside of the X-men alot. apocalypse was just a take off of D'C's Darkside who just happend to be from a planet named apokalypse

The baddest ass villans have to go to Galactus, the planet eater, carnage, onslaught, Omega Red, and of course the aliens

Hegemon875
Apocalypse was a big deal to the X-Men continuity. He took over the world an altered history, I'd say that's a big deal. He is also the very first mutant ever!

krazymoe
I'd have to go with Marvel.

DC just doesnt have any characters I like. They have Batman, who has to be one of the coolest characters ever created, with the coolest gadgets, and the writers dont do anything cool with him. Or at least not any of the Batman stories I've read. I tried getting into Batman comics, but I always hated the stories.

But I do buy Spidey, X-Men, Wolverine, Punisher. Almost always cool stories.

thorncrawler
i liked jla and batman but i think that i like more charactor in marvel

Dejio
What I hate about DC is that their stories are too far fetched. And since comics are fiction anyway, that's saying a lot. In comics, or in any other medium like it, you have to set certian rules and restrictions to their universe and make a story around these rules. It makes the readers relate to the story better.

For example, if you established Wolverines adamantium claw was implanted from the start, you get a shock from readers if he extend his claws of bone after Magneto took out the Adamantium from his whole body.

In DC, you don't really know what the rules are. It seems that any character can pretty much do about anything in their universe. This is exactly why Superman stories sucks.

Everytime I read DC comics I always wished I hadn't. The only character worth reading in DC is Batman.

Give me Marvel anytime.

Hegemon875
Come to think of it JLA and Batman are the ONLY DC comics I read. Otherwise I read Marvel.

ragesRemorse
mainstream comics suck alltogether anymore. Marvel is still the champ in comic history, but there stories just got repetitive and way to over the top. D.C has talented writers, but they cant make characters to save their profession. They make characters that were blaintly inspired to relate to teenagers and there anguishes. Even the characters that arent geared twords the marketing of teenagers have turned there stories in that direction.

I know marvel has the most characters and stories inspired by or for teenagers,and there problems, but they hide that within the story telling.so i give creativity and consistancy to marvel. D.C gets respect. This is just repect for being the father of comic books. Like i said before though all mainstream comics are going downhill, atleast last i read. I stick to indepent lines like black horse and image. Image is getting a little boring lately aswell

Hegemon875
Isn't Image like the mainstream comics for independent comics anyway?

Blind-Enemy

batmanrules
i agree with most ppl in that marvel has so many good character but dc has batman, so im kinda left hanging on which is better

supermanprime
i used o be a huge marvel fan but i felt that marvel became foolish in their writing and gave the x-men a Little too much attention. next thing you know there is so many x-men comics, then spidey comics, it was chaotic no wonder they went bankrupt, i always loved batman as a child and continued to read him but supes was never my favorite comic to read until dan jurgens doomsday run and i converted to dc, plus dc graphic novels are WAY better than marvels just check out infinite crises build up, dc always get critically acclaimed accolades from newspapers, wizard magazine. etc. i notice that marvel deals more for teenagers and dc more for older people-my opinion i just can't get into marvel anymore

The Ones
marvel. batman and superman suck. marvel has the best superheros

willRules
Marvel. Although Batman Hush was my favourite storyline cos of Jim Lee's art, Marvel i prefer overall.

GL Zeeguy
Originally posted by Darth Vicious
I think that Batman is the only superhero worth anything in the DC universe, they should let Marvel do Batman for a year or something, he is good now, Marvel can make him better!

I STRONGLY disagree and I know that I'm like 8 years late to reply, but I just have to say that you're DEAD WRONG. Marvel wouldn't know how to treat Batman and his villains. And anyway, what does it matter. If you like Batman, does it really matter whether he's DC or Marvel? Are you really THAT blinded by company loyalty that you'd deny that Batman is best kept in the hands of DC comics just because you can't admit that DC could actually be good at producing his comics.

I honestly don't get this blind bias that a lot of people have toward Marvel. Yeah, I like Marvel too, but I also like DC. Yes, its possible to like both *GASP*. I know but its true. I love Marvel's characters, especially Spider-Man and Iron Man, but I also love DC characters. And guess what, Batman isn't even my favorite thing in DC *ANOTHER GASP*. Actually, my favorite DC character, as well as my favorite superhero in all of comics, is the Green Lantern (Hal Jordan). Hal Jordan's bad-ass, even more so than Batman, IMO. Hal doesn't fear anything or anybody, not even Batman. Hal has actually always been the one person who DIDN'T fear Batman, and pretty much everyone in the DCU is afraid of Batman, pretty sure even Superman is a little.

But that's a different matter altogether. What I'm trying to say is that there is such a strong bias toward Marvel that really isn't deserved. I love Marvel's characters, but I've noticed recently that Marvel's kind of been relying on the flashiness of their characters without really putting any substance into their stories. I remember reading Iron Man: Extremis and I couldn't get through the first two issues, which was odd because I'd heard such good things about it. Then, I tried reading a few X-Men comics and the same thing happened. I couldn't get past the second issue because they were so bad. The dialogue was stiff and the characters were reduced to being so two-dimensional it wasn't even funny. I thought to myself, "This is what passes for four-star material over at Marvel. Compared to some of the stuff I've read at DC recently, this would be like two stars." So don't knock DC for no reason.

And am I the only one who thinks the X-Men are overrated. I just never really got into the whole premise of the X-Men, I preferred Spider-Man and even the FF and most of the "mainstream" Marvel Universe. And I actually have gotten some gripe for thinking this way, but I prefer Superman to the X-Men. And his comics recently have been much better than what I've read from X-Men. Also Superman has Darkseid...one of the best comic book villains ever made. I know he wasn't created for Superman, but he does fight Supes more than any other DC superhero

Bentley
The X-men are a very hit and miss thing for me, always had a hard time getting interest on them.

Prep-Man
I've been a MU Zombie since I was a kid and into my teens. I always thought that DC didn't have anybody cool, except Batman, but since college, I started to do more reading.

Wizard came out with a list of top 40 stories of all time. DC has the majority on the list, so I started reading those stories. Most of them were pretty awesome. Especially Alan Moore's version of Superman. They had some Dark Horse on there as well.

I did more DC reading and fell in love with a LOT of characters. Seriously, DC has a better cast of characters. Better and stronger cast of female characters, magic characters, cosmic characters, top tiers, geniuses, space characters like Captain Comet, and the coolest street level character of them all, Batman.

I like to read DC, because they are constantly pumping out crazy concepts and ideas. Morrison's Doom Patrol, Animal Man, and cosmic level threats for JLA to tangle with.

X-Men will always have a special place in my heart, though.

Cogito
Originally posted by Bentley
The X-men are a very hit and miss thing for me, always had a hard time getting interest on them.

I agree. I lost interest in the X-Men a long time ago. They keep trying to shake things up, and it never works out for the better in my opinion.

JakeTheBank
I like both companies and read both equally.

Prep-Man
DC also has Vertigo, Milestone, and WS characters. They pretty much take the cake.

Prep-Man
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
I like both companies and read both equally.

Yeah, but if you HAD to pick a side, which would it be? Say you're stuck on an island and you had to choose one company to read, what would it be?

Cogito
Originally posted by Prep-Man
DC also has Vertigo, Milestone, and WS characters. They pretty much take the cake.

If we bring those in, then there's no question who has better characters, storytelling, etc.

TBH, I don't really read much Marvel these days. What I have read has generally underwhelmed me. I don't like how Marvel handles many of the ideas and concepts that I enjoy most. erm

Cogito
If I had to rank my top 5 story arcs, they'd probably all be DC. I haven't really ever put thought into that though.

Prep-Man
Originally posted by Cogito
If we bring those in, then there's no question who has better characters, storytelling, etc.

TBH, I don't really read much Marvel these days. What I have read has generally underwhelmed me. I don't like how Marvel handles many of the ideas and concepts that I enjoy most. erm

Uncanny X-Force is the only Marvel book worth reading, IMO.

I was hoping WS characters would be incorporated in the DCU and I got a early X-Mas gift. wink

-Pr-
Gillen on Uncanny X-Men has gone a long way to repair the damage done by people like Fraction, though it seems like executive meddling is going to destroy all his good work.

As far as my own personal preference goes, I go where my favourite characters are written well. From the Late 80s to Early 00s, that was Marvel. Then I started to read DC, and realised what they were capable of. Plus, when you compare the heroes I love:

Superman - Getting Huge props right now.
Aquaman - He's back in a big way.
Green Lantern (Hal Jordan) - Solid book every month.
Flash (Wally West) - Missing, but it's only a matter of time.
Nightwing (Dick Grayson) - Has his own good quality book.
Green Arrow (Oliver Queen) - Kinda crap right now.
Red Tornado (John Smith) - Still waiting to see what they do with him.
Geo-Force - See above.
Wonder Woman - Solid solo book, and a good appearance in JL.
Kimiyo Hoshi - Needs to come back.
Batman - Good books.
Jason Todd - Comic is starting to get good.
Catwoman - all kinds of awesome (and anyone calling it sexist doesn't know the meaning of the word).

Then we look at Marvel:

Cyclops - Treated like shite. And now they're splitting him and Emma up. Marvel might as well just have him suffer a stroke at this point, as that would make me more inclined to read.
Colossus - ...I'm weeping on the inside.
Psylocke, Archangel, Iceman and Emma... Yeah, f*ck it.
Silver Surfer - Meh.
Hank Pym - Dan Slott puts in two years of good work only to get f*cked over by petty Bendis. At least things started to get better.
Hulk - Greg Pak can f*ck off, frankly.
Avengers - Balls.
Daredevil - One of the few bright spots, though I have fallen behind.

And don't get me started on what they've done with Magneto, Namor and Sinister.

Then you have people like Kabuki and Shi, who are barely around anymore.

So yeah, DC is where I go now, because I have faith in the writers. The Marvel characters are my preference, but for me, DC consistently puts out better books, and has for a while now.

Kazenji
Uncanny X-Force is the only Marvel book worth reading, IMO.

Really?

you need to check out some more books from Marvel then but i suppose you've gone all DC now.

Prep-Man
I do check out a handful of MU titles, but unfortunately they cancel all the ones I like. Iron Fist and Captain Britain for example. sad

Prep-Man
Originally posted by -Pr-
Gillen on Uncanny X-Men has gone a long way to repair the damage done by people like Fraction, though it seems like executive meddling is going to destroy all his good work.

As far as my own personal preference goes, I go where my favourite characters are written well. From the Late 80s to Early 00s, that was Marvel. Then I started to read DC, and realised what they were capable of. Plus, when you compare the heroes I love:

Superman - Getting Huge props right now.
Aquaman - He's back in a big way.
Green Lantern (Hal Jordan) - Solid book every month.
Flash (Wally West) - Missing, but it's only a matter of time.
Nightwing (Dick Grayson) - Has his own good quality book.
Green Arrow (Oliver Queen) - Kinda crap right now.
Red Tornado (John Smith) - Still waiting to see what they do with him.
Geo-Force - See above.
Wonder Woman - Solid solo book, and a good appearance in JL.
Kimiyo Hoshi - Needs to come back.
Batman - Good books.
Jason Todd - Comic is starting to get good.
Catwoman - all kinds of awesome (and anyone calling it sexist doesn't know the meaning of the word).

Then we look at Marvel:

Cyclops - Treated like shite. And now they're splitting him and Emma up. Marvel might as well just have him suffer a stroke at this point, as that would make me more inclined to read.
Colossus - ...I'm weeping on the inside.
Psylocke, Archangel, Iceman and Emma... Yeah, f*ck it.
Silver Surfer - Meh.
Hank Pym - Dan Slott puts in two years of good work only to get f*cked over by petty Bendis. At least things started to get better.
Hulk - Greg Pak can f*ck off, frankly.
Avengers - Balls.
Daredevil - One of the few bright spots, though I have fallen behind.

Then you have people like Kabuki and Shi, who are barely around anymore.

So yeah, DC is where I go now, because I have faith in the writers. The Marvel characters are my preference, but for me, DC consistently puts out better books, and has for a while now.

You forgot Blackhawks! shifty

-Pr-
You forgot Blackhawks! shifty

If Birds of Prey had a lineup I liked, that included Lady Blackhawk, then I'd read it.

Kazenji
Originally posted by -Pr-

Mister Sinister's back in the relaunch of Uncanny X-men if you did'nt know

I do check out a handful of MU titles, but unfortunately they cancel all the ones I like. Iron Fist and Captain Britain for example. sad

Ah okay......for the other good titles from Marvel besides Uncanny X-Force

Punisher & also Max
Ghost Rider
Venom
The Incredible Hulk
Spider-Man
Captain America

but i guess have to be interested in those characters i suppose.

Prep-Man
Lady Blackhawk will be appearing soon in Blackhawks. And BOP is one of the best Bat titles on the shelf. It's damn awesome. Surprising too, because everyone thought they would HATE it, but it's been getting some stellar reviews and the consensus on the boards is that pretty much everyone loves it.

Starling is one of the best new characters that have come out in a while.

Prep-Man
Originally posted by Kazenji

Punisher & also Max
Ghost Rider
Venom
The Incredible Hulk
Spider-Man
Captain America

Ghost Rider, Hulk, and Spidey are on my top 10 favorite heroes list. I should probably check out the new Hulk run. I've hated what they have done with Spidey, but the new run is getting some good reviews, so maybe I should check that out as well.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Kazenji

Punisher & also Max
Ghost Rider
Venom
The Incredible Hulk
Spider-Man
Captain America

i've been keeping up with it, but i'm still not happy with how he's being written for the most part. it's not bad, it's just not what i was hoping for.

Lady Blackhawk will be appearing soon in Blackhawks. And BOP is one of the best Bat titles on the shelf. It's damn awesome. Surprising too, because everyone thought they would HATE it, but it's been getting some stellar reviews and the consensus on the boards is that pretty much everyone loves it.

Starling is one of the best new characters that have come out in a while.

I'm only a fan of LB if she's with the other girls, and as for BOP, the roster does nothing for me.

roughrider
I like both, and both have significant characters to champion. But if had to choose between which two universe I prefer, it's Marvel.

BlackZero30x
I like DC and Marvel equally. Just the characters that sway me between the 2 brands.

The Flash being my #1 obviously leads me over to DC more often then not but my favorites are definitely inter mixed.

I really like Spider-Man, Gambit, Deadpool, Thor, Namor, The Avengers, Captain America, Dr. Doom, Magneto, Daredevil, Banshee, Black Bolt, Ms. Marvel, The Flash, Aquaman, Batman, Lanterns(any of the seven colors...though red and green are my top 2), The RedHood, Black Adam/Captain Marvel, Justice League, Justice Society(always been more of a fan of JSA then JLA), Ect.....

That's not a list in any kind of order. In fact not all of those even make my top ten. What Im saying is i enjoy both brands it just depends whose story im interested in at the moment.....and The Flash....Always The Flash.....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.