Dredg

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BackFire349
anyone ever heard of this band? they are outstanding, one of the best bands out there right now. Id recommend everyone download something of theirs...but with the whole kazzaa thing...i dunno. but they are a great band.

mah
They are admittedly good.

Ghost RiDeR
temme the genre of their music

grymlock
never heard of it... what type of music do they play and any simillar band... do share about it... cheers mate!! beer

BackFire349
they are kinda art/rock, a little similar to tool in their presentation, but they have a sound that is unlike anything else out there.

furryman
Woo, I bought El Cielo and Leitmotif last week

moshtitan
kinda indie if ya ask me.

Afro Cheese
I downloaded a few of their songs and I like it. Different but good.

<<Solo>>
What's wrong with indie?

And yeah BF, Dredg is awesome, Penguins In the Desert is so awesome.
Wait but lechium almost eguals the greatness.

Deathblow
I think El Cielo is the best thing they've done by some distance. It's unfair how often I hear people comparing them to Tool because they are sort of arty/progressive/experimental kind of rock, as they could never in a thousand years compare to Tool, but they are still a great band in their own right.

I love the idea of the sleep paralysis theme of El Cielo. I always play that or Leftism if I'm having trouble sleeping, it's like a very long lullaby.

Alpha Centauri
It occured to me I'd never made a thread about these guys.

****ing amazing, astounding, incredible band to say the least.

"El Cielo" is such an otherworldly masterpiece. I slightly prefer it over "Leitmotif".

But boy does Gavin sound like Maynard on "El Cielo". He sounds like a cross between Maynard and Chino with his own style. Mostly Maynard though. I wouldn't say it's a rip-off, just very very similar. Amazing amazing voice. Music is unlike any other band I've heard before.

"Sanzen" has quite possibly the most beautiful chorus ever.

-AC

BackFire
I already made a thread about this amazing band a while ago. So I'll merge.

BackFire
Now, about the band.

Yes, they may very well be my favorite band, and yes, I like them better then tool, and think as they make more albums their sound will only grow more and more amazing.

Their sound is truley unlike anything else out there, it mixes so many aspects of different musical genres. Some songs have a latin flavor to them, some metal, some of them is just artsy and electric, some of them have a strange trance inducing sound. I really can't wait for these guys to come into their own. They're still a young band with so much potential, I really hope they achieve it.

Alpha Centauri
I think it's just coincidence that Gavin sounds like Maynard alot.

They're such an amazing band. Didn't even see this thread before.

-AC

Deathblow
That would be my fault, I killed it.

They are very good, but I just can't get past the fact that a lot of the songs sound very similar to each other, and there really aren't many stand-out tracks. The dreamy atmosphere and quirky originality stops it from getting boring, but their album tracks just melt together into one long song, with the instrumentals providing the only noticeable interludes.

Alpha Centauri
The only thing I think is samey about Dredg is as you said Deathblow, the songs can somewhat blend into each other but I think that's only with some of the choruses. Not necessarily the songs.

It's just where Gavin uses the chorus to get the point and/or meaning of the song across alot of the time.

I see what you mean though.

-AC

BackFire
They have a new song from their upcomming album on their website www.dredg.com

As should be expected, it's chillingly beautiful and purely amazing, they seem to only be getting better with time, it boggles my mind to think how great they'll sound in 5 years from now. They very well could be the next "Tool".

Alpha Centauri
They're the next Dredg.

Don't see the point in comparing them.

Can't wait for the new album. Have you heard Bug Eyes? I only heard it coz it will be a single allegedly. That's all I've heard though. Sounds amazing.

-AC

BackFire
Yeah, that's the song I was referring too.

And when I say "next tool" I'm more or less referring to the way they are slowly becomming popular without any media attention, almost soley through word of mouth, much like Tool.

Alpha Centauri
Ah, they've been on the radio alot recently I heard.

They're apparantly gonna market this album alot, sadly. We'll see how it goes.

I heard Bug Eyes a while back, it's great.

-AC

BackFire
Ah, well then there really are better radio stations their. I think I've heard Dredg on teh radio...maybe twice, at the most.

That's cool they're promoting their stuff finally, they deserve to be recognized.

And yes, Bug Eye is amazing, it's one of those songs that sends chills down my spine at parts.

Victor Von Doom
Don't see the validity in the Tool comparisons.

Nothing alike at all. Literally at all.

BackFire

Victor Von Doom
I doubt that would qualify a band as being the next Tool, but I see the point.

BackFire
Dredg has released their video for "Bug Eyes" for download on their website, not a great video, pretty generic, but still pretty cool.

BackFire
Catch Without Arms = Wow.

One of the best albums I've ever heard, simply amazing.

Deathblow
Better than El Cielo, BF?

BackFire
Hard to say so far, just about finishing my first listen of Catch, have to give it a few more listens before I can really say for sure.

But so far it's easily on par.

Deathblow
Bought it this morning.

It's outstanding. I have no doubts whatsoever that it will exceed El Cielo within a couple of listens for me. Just a piece of undeniable musical quality.

BackFire
Agreed, I've listened too it too many times to remember, and it gets better with every listen. I think now that I've heard it a good amount of times I can safely say that it surpasses El Cielo.

RichieBoothie
I saw Dredg in Buffalo Last Saturday. It was the greatest concert I've ever seen. It meant more to me than the rage show in 99. These guys are incredible. I can't even say I have a favorite album, although I do find myself splitting my listening time mostly between El Cielo and Catch Without Arms. By the way, does anyone have a clue where to start the friggin treasure hunt with the new album? I asked Drew and he just laughed at me and walked away...

Alpha Centauri
I saw them back in July. Fantastic gig.

Gavin started singing into my camera during Of the Room. Thought the best songs live were probably off El Cielo. Jamais Vu was amazing though.

-AC

Dr. Strangelove
Fantastic band! I've been listening to Catch Without Arms nonstop for the last few weeks.

Lana
I heard Of the Room because of AC, and since have absolutely adored Dredg. I have El Cielo and Catch Without Arms and love them, I listen to them a lot.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Lana
I heard Of the Room because of AP, and since have absolutely adored Dredg. I have El Cielo and Catch Without Arms and love them, I listen to them a lot.

And he heard them because of...

*edit* How come you don't have Leitmotif?

Alpha Centauri
It IS possibly their best album.

-AC

Lana
Because I am 1) broke, and 2) couldn't find it and didn't feel like ordering online because then I'd have to pay for the expensive CD AND shipping.

Victor Von Doom
Good reasons.

BackFire
You can find Leitmotif at a few stores, if you're lucky.

I've run into it a few times.

It was a pain ordering it when I got it though, had to special order it through Sam Goody, it was their only CD back then and no one knew who they were, seeing as it was before El Cielo.

I think Catch Without Arms is their best album thus far, the best thing about them is they seem to just keep getting better.

Ronny
I love dredg happy, Of course AC introduced them to me, but that was a while ago, right before he saw them in concert disgust *mumble*

But yes Catch without arms sounds absolutely amazing from what i've heard, and Lala, I to am broke, i cant buy it quite yet stick out tongue my favorite song by them right now is Sanzen or catch without arms

Alpha Centauri
I think Leitmotif is their best in some ways, but El Cielo is definately their overall best in my opinion.

-AC

BackFire
Have you heard catch without arms yet?

Tptmanno1
*Gumbles and counts cash...*
Sigh, I guess I'm not getting lunch to day, I have a CD to buy..

Lana
Originally posted by Tptmanno1
*Gumbles and counts cash...*
Sigh, I guess I'm not getting lunch to day, I have a CD to buy..

laughing out loud

You won't be disappointed, that's for sure.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by BackFire
Have you heard catch without arms yet?

Yes.

It's a very good album but it doesn't have the variation or epic scope of El Cielo, in my opinion.

-AC

Victor Von Doom
I'm getting the feeling that Dredg will get really big soon, because there seems to be a lot of interest in them lately. Hardly anyone had heard of them until quite recently.

Have seen it happen with loads of bands in the past.

Alpha Centauri
I was thinking that might be attributed to the fact that they signed to Interscope.

-AC

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
I was thinking that might be attributed to the fact that they signed to Interscope.

-AC

Nah, started a while before that. Just seemed to go out via word of mouth.

I remember it happening with Incubus, amongst others.

Tptmanno1
Bought Catch without Arms today
Only listened to 2 tracks but its awesome...

Bardock42
I just got El Cielo...which makes me happy, although I didn't listen to it yet. Therefore I thought it would be a good idea to bump the Dredg thread. Damn it was a good week.

BackFire
New Dredg album coming out in about 3 weeks. Get hyped. Their new song is amazing.

Scythe
Yeah, lookin' forward to it.

Fallen
this band has been name dropped by several people that i know. i shall have to do a bit of research.

BackFire
Just picked up the new album and am listening to it now.

Tptmanno1
Hey BF...
I haven't had a chance yet, but I will be obtaining it soon.
I have been watching their little studio youtubes and it looks promising.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.