DVD anyone?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

queeq
I was wondering how many of you already own a DVD player? Or plan to get one?

I've had mine for a few months now and I love it. I buy a new DVD almost every two weeks. Great stuff.

Ushgarak
Well, I;ve had access to DVD from the moment they appeared... until my brother moved out... damn him...

JediOasis
I got a DVD player for my birthday a few months ago. The picture and overall quality is far superior to that of VHS. I own 7 DVD's so far.

Oasis: There and Then(concert from 1996)
Oasis:Familiar to Millions(Wembley shows 2000
Man on the Moon(a great movie)
Jurassic Park(a modern classic)
Showgirls(um, sorry but I'm a college male, get over it smile smile
Poison Ivy 2(my roomates bought this one)

finti

Gundark
Don't have one yet. Planning on getting Tommy one this year for Christmas.

JO, I am SO surpised you have Oasis DVD's. laughing out loud

Dim
I don't know..I don't see it as a big deal..plus I don't want to be a slave to technology..if you know what I mean.

razman
I don't have a standalone DVD player. Although my PS2 plays them perfectly. I bought my last DVD yesterday - "The League of Gentlemen" series 1......I'm a recent convert smile

Ushgarak
"Some people have pointed out to me that Revenge of the Cybermen aired in 1975, not '74... but I reckon it was shot in 74, so that's alright..."

"That shows a worryingly in-depth knowledge of Dr. Who..."

queeq
I have about 13, hope I can list them all:

Fight Club
Excalibur
Jaws
Jurassic Park
The Lost World
Mulan
Tarzan
The Abyss - special edition
Sleepy Hollow
Scream 3
Toy Story 1 & 2
Gladiator

And my latest, very wonderful DVD: Lawrence of Arabia

There must be one or two more, but can't remember them right now.

Ushgarak
As DVD conversions go, Fallen is one of the best.

While the film is still great, people were expecting the DVD to be STUFFED full of bells and whistles... and it just wasn;t...

queeq
Fallen? Doesn't ring a bell....

But without the extra's it's less fun.

I'm waiting for the European release of Ben-Hur, I heard the new release is excellent. It's on there with it's original 65mm width. It's never been aired or put on video like that, let alone shown in non 65 or 70mm theatres. And.... lots of goodies.

Ushgarak
Heck- that second comment ofmine was meant to be about the Matrix! THAT was the disappointing DVD.

The Fallen is a good one, nice presentration It;s a demonic horror thing with Denzel Washington, classy stuff..

queeq
I didn't like the Matrix much anyway, but the DVD was a bit disappointing indeed.

Ushgarak
Didn't like the Matrix- HA HA! Good one, queeq...

queeq
It's true. Loved the effects, but the story was such a rip-off of.... well... just about everything. Quite embarrassing.

Ushgarak
Suddenly Ushgarak is sucked into the 'Paradox' zone, where no decision makes sense...

'Queeq is my mentor, yet he does not like the Matrix... how can this be!? Matrix... no... more.. derivative... than... Star ... Wars... actually... much... less...'

Aarrrgghhh!

queeq
I'll send you my analysis yet. You will turn and see the truth of it. The key word is CLICHE!

Except for the effects of course.

Ushgarak
Sorry, my man, but you're just out of touch, unlike the makers...

You can have your opinion, but you WILL be burnt alive for it around here...

queeq
I doubt it. Some even agree with me.

I can go through it step by step, I can tell you exactly what they copied from what film. I varies from single lines, entire scenes to even the very story concept. Nothing is original, except for the effects and the design.

Ushgarak
I told you, you're out of touch... they did it on purpose, and that's why we all liked it...

queeq
But storywise it's done better. It looks like a rip-off, it sounds like a rip-off. You can bet your butt it IS a rip-off. Besides, it was extremely predictable, no suprises at all.

Except for the effects of course.

Ushgarak
Rather exactly like Star Wars, then...

Look, it was a cool movie in a cool world with a cool storyline with cool gnarly bits attacched that kept nearly everyone enthralled, especially MY generation at which it was targeted. Derivative? Who the bloody hell cares? So is nearly EVERYTHING! The sort of person who would view it like that has amazingly missed the point. It's what you do with it that counts, and NO-ONE had put things togeether that well before.

In terms of imagination to screen, it was the best translation since A New Hope.

finti
Thats why we all liked it????? I agree with queeq only I think Matrix sucks big time.
And what is star wars a rip off of?

queeq
Well SW is of course a basic fairy tale, I'll give you that. Although it does have more depth than The Matrix does.

The big flaw of The Matrix actually lies in the storytelling. Although everything looks great and that it might seem to indulge in excessive violence, why oh why are two such talented flimmakers not able to TELL a story with images. WHY is there such a boring, dull, tedious middle part where EVERYTHING is explained by TALK TALK TALK. That is a major cinematographical flaw, one that would cause the Master of Suspense, Alfred Hitchcock, to turn in his grave. Compared to films like Dark City, or even They Live with similar thematics, these brothers have demonstrated that they can make excellent pictures, scenes and effects, but that visual storytelling is not their strongest point. SW is a lot better when it comes to that.

IMHO OC.

Ushgarak
Dark City was cocked up by them forcing a voice over at the start though.... about time for a Director's Cut there.

Well, I thought Matrix was just about perfect.

ratcat
I'm planning to get a DVD, though it will probably be that I get a PS2 and play DVD that way.

I friend of mine has an awesome DVD setup with a massive widescreen TV with the full surround sound setup. I watched Armageddon on it and it was amazing.

Ushgarak
The potential is enormous...

ratcat
Oh, I know.

I have this dream home cinema system that I'd love to be able to afford to get put together. I daren't even look into the costs, they're probably staggering.

queeq
Big silver screen, superb video projector, prime speaker set, Dolby Digital or DTS, a separate room with one chair in the middle....aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh..... lovely.

Ushgarak
And now the credit card company is calling...

queeq
They charge me for my dreams now?

Ushgarak
They;re diversifying...

queeq
Those b'stards!

ratcat
Not far off queeq. I always wanted my own 16 seater or something like that. And with Dolby and Home THX it would be brilliant.

All I would need for absolute perfection is a soda fountain and a popcorn machine outside the door and I'd be set!

queeq
The problem with more than one seat is that there's the danger of people talking during the movie.

ratcat
Oh, I bet you're a fun one to go to the movies with...

queeq
We have a break during the movie in Holland... laughing out loud

Ushgarak
That is the worst idea I have ever heard. And staying quiet during moveis is just polite...

ratcat
Not mid movie? I remember when we used to have a break between the Short" and the main feature but when the idea of showing a pre-mainfeature short was dropped so was the idea of an interval.

Gundark
Talk during the movie and I'll stick my lightsaber in your ear. big grin

ratcat
Wouldn't dream of it. Want some popcorn?

queeq
Gundy and Ush are true movie lovers.

And sory about the break, I don't know why they do it. Probably to boost snack sales.

ratcat
I have to admit, talking during the movie is a big peeve of mine too.

That's one of the reasons I like to see movies in the morning, on a weekday when all the kids are at school...

Ushgarak
Yes, some sort of child-catching van would be useful by cinemas...

ratcat
Um, I'm not sure that's entirely legal. You been watching Chitty Chitty Bang Bang?

Gundark
Right after I watched Willy Wonka. hehehe.

Ushgarak
I certainly have. That's exactly what I mean.

ratcat
Actually, I did see some of Willy WOnka today, they're running it on Sky at the moment. smokin'

Gundark
You're turning violet, violet.

ratcat
To the juice press! evil face

Gundark
Spitting is a dirty habit.

ratcat
I know a worse one! wink

Gundark
Where is the "pick your nose" gremlin when you need it ? laughing out loud

queeq
Yes, or the "scratch his butt" graemlin.

ratcat
Oh queeeq!!!! You spoilt the Willy Wokna reference!

Gundark
Well thats chaos for you.

Lets feed him to the vicious kinids !!!

ratcat
Sorry, fresh out, how about a vermicious knid

queeq
Nah, they won't like the taste of me.

Gundark
Now I screwed that one up. Sorry, RC.

sad

ratcat
But no one likes the tatse of him....

Dim
If you take into account that there are only really 6 story achetypes then the "Star Wars is a rip off" could stand for any story.

As for the voice over in Dark City..I didn't mind it at all...IMO it's till the a better film than The Matrix.

queeq
Wow, draaaagggging this back on topic. Well, not really. But see Ush, plenty of supporters to not finding The Matrix such an excellent movie.

Gundark
Well it was different. At least you didn't know what was gonna happen next.

queeq
In The Matrix I knew ECXACTLY what was going to happen next. That's what I hated so much about it, it was very predictable and very cliche. And then they call it a tribute or an ode. sad

ratcat
Yes, it was very formulaic...

Gundark
(Goes and gets dunce cap) Well I guess I'm an idiot. stick out tongue

queeq
But a sweet one. wink

Dim
Oh stop..you're not a dunce! roll eyes (sarcastic)

razman
Surely you couldn't have guessed what the matrix was, before actually seeing the movie.

That was probably the only thing you couldn't have predicted.

Ushgarak
Well, aside from the fact that Dr. Who and Shadowrun had already used the term Matrix to define the same thing...

But it was still great!

Gundark
Well thanks Dim. (takes off dunce cap and puts on queeq) Hehehe. laughing out loud

ratcat
Ahhh, the circle is now complete laughing out loud

razman
If the term had been used previously in the same context, why don't the BBC sue WB???

Isn't it infringing copyright?

Gundark
Well thats what I thought too.

Ushgarak
Nah, I don't think so... they were using Matrix in a vague sense they may as well copyright the word 'computer'

Seriously, though. Watch the Dr. Who Story 'The Deadly Assassin' and you will see what I mean. Also 'The Invasion of Time' and the last two episodes of 'Trial of a Time Lord'. The Gallifreyans central computer, called the Matrix, is amazingly similar. Only its function is different.

ratcat
Similar, yet different, I can see that... wink

razman
laughing out loud How much different?

Ushgarak
Blimey, you people have difficulty with basic association sometimes, don't you?

It is constructed the same way,. it's [purpose is not to provide power, though. The minds are stored to help predict the future.

So, same construction, different function. Want me to drop to words of one syllable?

ratcat
oh, would you? That would be great! laughing out loud

Ushgarak
Me no good at that. Me bad...

ratcat
Okaydey

Ushgarak
Phew! Didn't want to stay like THAT!

ratcat
Why not, it suited you.

Ushgarak
Feeble! You'll have to do MUCH better than that. Don't strain yourself though.

ratcat
OH, I can't strain myself. I'm warn out from aerobics.

Ushgarak
I should imagine you're knackered after all that Edna bashing.

queeq
Too bad they had to use all that endless talk to explain it all. The entire movie collapsed right there.

Ushgarak
I thought it was quite cool...

ratcat
We still on The Matrix?

Ushgarak
Apparently. I was commenting to you on your Edna assault, though.

ratcat
I said it before and I'll say it again. She issued a challenge, who was I not to take it up?

queeq
Lots of explaining the thing what it's all about is NEVER cool. But you seem to like it, I think it's weak filmmaking.

ratcat
Do you think they really ahve enough for a story for Matrix II, let alone III?

Ushgarak
Apparently.

MOST people seemed tolike the explnation- is was done so well...

Could you have not forgiven her youthful folly? I had to watch it all, you know.

queeq
They'll probably rehash the same story in two slightly different forms. More formula work.

ratcat
But what will they do for the next two, are there any more secrets about Neo to discover?

queeq
Oh sure. How to kill people more effectively no doubt.

ratcat
And you think Number One had problems.... laughing out loud

Ushgarak
I DID have some bague ideas about the plot once... must try and rememeber...

ratcat
bagel ideas???

Ushgarak
Ouch! My bad. VAGUE.

ratcat
Cream cheese and ham on mine please.

Ushgarak
Cut that out!

ratcat
Actually, no, make that cream cheese and smoked salmon.

Oh, and a large coffee.

Ushgarak
Sigh... ok, white or black?

ratcat
White, no sugar.

And non of that decaf rubbish!

Ushgarak
Wait a mo then... that's be 50 dataries...

ratcat
Stick it on my tab, a goober fish stole all my money...

Ushgarak
Er... this guy in an eyepatch told me not to let you run a tab...

ratcat
Dim, you been on that creative writing for beginners course... laughing out loud

ratcat
OK, stick it on his tab then... laughing out loud

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.