Horror for beginners........

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Evil Dead
Now lets say somebody is just getting into horror movies. What movies do you guys think would be prerequisite viewing? Basically.......what movies should all horror fans see.

Not about which movies are you're favorites.......hell, you may be a zombie buff but that doesn't mean that a person must see all the zombie movies you like to be a hardcore horror fan. Let's try to mix it up a bit.

Here's my list:

Night of the Living Dead (original)
Night of the Living Dead (remake w/ Tony Todd)
The Omen
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
The Exorcist (just to show them how over rated movies can be)
Halloween
The Shining
A Nightmare on Elm Street
The Amityville Horror
Carrie
Poltergeist
Hellraiser
In the Mouth of Madness
The Evil Dead
Piranha
Alice, Sweet Alice
Demons or Demons 2
C.H.U.D.
Children of the Corn (for educational purposes, not enjoyment)

Now sure..........all of these aren't great (Demons)........but if you've seen every movie listed up there, you've basically seen every style of horror movie.

BackFire349
dawn/day of the dead, 28 days later, the hills have eyes, dog soldiers, Henry - portrait of a serial killer. those and all the movies you mentioned.

Evil Dead
I forgot Last House on the Left...............that should be up there too........I don't think I have a similar movie listed.

BackFire349
i dunno...last house on the left isnt teh best movie to show someone who istn already into horror movies, you already have to have an apreciation for that type of film....

DeNiro
i dont think u posted evil dead 2 or army of darkness so ill add those to the list but ur lists look pretty good and dog soilders is a movie that is actully more of a comedy to me then a horror movie but no doubt would scare sumone the age of ten but ne way great movie it was

Lord_Andres
you forgot the Friday's

grymlock
well just watch as much horror movie as you can ... then you get hang of it.. well that what i do, i'm not a horror expert but after saw so much horror movie then you get the fun and the thrill of it... the taste that count... till then cheers mate!! beer

ragesRemorse
fridays arent gonna get you into horror, just into humor. The only reason jason gets mentioned at times is for respect to the genre and the essence of slasher flicks. I know however these movies may scare some people if you can put your self emotionally into the movies while you watch them, but then if you can do that, you can be scared by any movie but as far as horror goes you can pretty much by-pass the jason series and still the G.E.D of horror with no problem, as long as you remeber to include the basics which are listed as above

h0ck3yh0rr0r
i think all horror movie fans should at least see Silence of the Lambs

Striel
The Amityville Horror, The Shining, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Halloween, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, Hellraiser, Carrie, Children of the Corn, Pumpkinhead, American Psycho, Frailty (those 2 are really more suspense than horror, but i want to include them anyways)

pablo007
Glad to see the Evil Dead Trilogy is on the thread and on DeNiro's post.

slayer
house on haunterd hill the rollercoaster scene is the best!

slayer
oops i meant haunted

BackFire349
yeah that was a cool scene.

Cowboyography
ahh evil dead you hit it on the head with Last House on The Left, I nearly had to shut it off multiple times. That movie is off the hook!!!!!!!!!!

AllThingsScary1
I would not forget Chucky or Child's Play..Those two would scare anyone.Oh! and Firday The 13th...and all of the Freddy & Jason movies.

Why won't you die?-Freddy to Jason

BackFire349
i stiill wouldnt consider last house on the left a good movie for people just getting into the genre.

Cowboyography
your right backfire probably wouldnt make em want to watch anymore

ElmStreetChick
American Psycho

slayer
how about starting off with horror movies that aren't very scary urban legend etc. and then dlowly build up 2 the more scary 1's shining etc.

lil bitchiness
yeah....that actualy sounds reasonable....
I would suggest shining....the original one with Jack Nicholson!
Halloween as well...especially the first one....for people getting into horror! Exorcist! I think all horror fans have seen this movie, despite what you think about it....

xCountessx
I dont know if anyone said this, but I'll add I Spit On Your Grave and Last House on Dead End Street. Suspiria..uh thats all I can think of at the moment

BackFire349
again, last house on dead end street and i spit on your grave are both movies that in order to enjoy, you have to already have an interest in the genre.

lil bitchiness
Candyman! That should make a good start i recon!

Lord_Andres
well you could also begin with "horror movies" from the 30 like Dracula and frankenstein aso, and work your way thru the decades

BackFire349
very true andres.

Caitlinlouise
Im not really an expert on horror films as I have only got into them this year. The first horror movie I watched Is when I was ten. I can't remember what it was called but I know these teens went into a house and like gradually got killed one by one. And the severed heads were kept in a closett...anybody know that movie?. I watched it with my brother and cousins and supprisingly I wasn't scared!, I lay off the horror untill now I am 13 and not one horror movie has scared me yet.

If you are looking to ease in to horror I suggest watching what i watched (list is in order):

-The one in the desscription above (could someone tell me what it is)
-Paranormal Activity.
-The Grudge (1,2&3).
-Drag me too hell.
-The Amityville Horror.
-The Children.
-Haunting In Conneticut.
-Children Of The Corn.

All though I am quite strong minded and things dont get to me and well I thrive off adrenaline. Since I'm like that horror movies are wuite easy to watch for me I watched all of theese atleast one alone.
But If you think you will get scared i recomend watching them with a friend.....Enjoy!.

K.Diddy
Originally posted by Caitlinlouise
Im not really an expert on horror films as I have only got into them this year. The first horror movie I watched Is when I was ten. I can't remember what it was called but I know these teens went into a house and like gradually got killed one by one. And the severed heads were kept in a closett...anybody know that movie?. I watched it with my brother and cousins and supprisingly I wasn't scared!, I lay off the horror untill now I am 13 and not one horror movie has scared me yet.

If you are looking to ease in to horror I suggest watching what i watched (list is in order):

-The one in the desscription above (could someone tell me what it is)
-Paranormal Activity.
-The Grudge (1,2&3).
-Drag me too hell.
-The Amityville Horror.
-The Children.
-Haunting In Conneticut.
-Children Of The Corn.

All though I am quite strong minded and things dont get to me and well I thrive off adrenaline. Since I'm like that horror movies are wuite easy to watch for me I watched all of theese atleast one alone.
But If you think you will get scared i recomend watching them with a friend.....Enjoy!.

erm Most of the movies you mentioned there are medicore at best,Apart from Drag me to hell and Children of the corn,yet even that is overrated in my opinion. Also The Haunting in Conneticut was awful

the ninjak
Suspiria and Deep Red- for that Giallo vibe.

Nightmare City and City of the Living Dead- for Zombie vibe...so many..

Evil Dead II and Braindead- for comedy gore vibe.

Nosferatu and Night of the Living Dead- nostalgia vibe.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Psycho- creepy inbred vibe.

Lost Boys, Salem's Lot and Fright Night- Vampires.

The Howling and American Werewolf in London- Werewolves. Rick Baker.

The first 2 Hellraisers and Phantasm films- demonic vibe.

Caitlinlouise
Originally posted by K.Diddy
erm Most of the movies you mentioned there are medicore at best,Apart from Drag me to hell and Children of the corn,yet even that is overrated in my opinion. Also The Haunting in Conneticut was awful

Ino but there easy films to help get into the genre that wont scare them away from watching them all together after a few drab ones they will be able to watch better movies!. I forgot to mensin able to watch better movies!. I agree haunting in conneticut was a rubbish film my friend told me it was really scary so I watched it and it was crap.
I wasn't right impressed with drag me to hell or children of the corn they didn't scare me at all. Could you recomend a good film for me to watch??big grin

Caitlinlouise
Originally posted by K.Diddy

I ment "I forgot to mension Session 9 have you seen that??"

K.Diddy
Originally posted by Caitlinlouise
I ment "I forgot to mension Session 9 have you seen that??"

smokin' No,I haven't seen Session 9 yet, I have heard good things about it though,Some Horror films I recommend that you watch are Halloween 1 and 2,Hellraiser 1,2 and 3,and Friday the 13th Part 2.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.