UK or USA

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

darth fester
Heres a good one what is better uk or usa

you have to give your reason for why your country is better

ill start it off

We have proper football(soccer) as our main sport
and we also have diseased amimals

beat that america

JediOasis
Well, the US is the dominate world super power, so we got that going for us. We have the better leader big grin but the UK has MUCH better music.

finti
WHO CARES?

ratcat
Obviously not the Norwegians.....

Personally, I couldn't say which is best. But I know for sure that I would much rather live in the US than in the UK.

Ushgarak
Yet Gl's major talent pool is British...

Gundark
Doesn't matter. Skywalker Ranch is over here.

Ushgarak
And how much filming has gone on in the US? Virtually none... ohh, didn't Arizona look good...

Face it, our countries work very well together, and arguments between the two are very unseemly, nasty and unneccessary.

ratcat
Face it, we are a cold, wet country with no consistant apptitude for major sports.
Our economy is going to pieces, our health services and other major public services are so under funded it's untrue.
Our politicians are more interested in self advertisement than the country the allegedlt serve.
Americans have this romantic image on England (and the UK in general) as portrayed in the movies and on TV. In reality we don't live in thatched cottages (Dim!!!)

I guess it probably goes both ways and they could say the same about our view of them.

I'd still rather live in an American society than the one I'm in right now.

Ushgarak
In a good mood again, RC?

America barely performs on an international level in sports... we are no better or worse than most.

Our economy is NOT going to pieces! Blimey. No more than the Maerican one is- which as we pretty much mirror theirs is not surprising. But right now our economy is the best it has been for ages! The downtuirn is on the HORIZON, right now the world is living the good life!

And European culture on welfare is utterly different to the American one, so a direct comparison is impossible. But trust me, they have their huge problems in that area as well. And their education system is in an even worse state than ours (The Europeans trash us both on that one)

And if you think British politics is all image, you will throw up at parts of the US system.

But then they are richer, have more global influence and drive the world economy.

Here is the final point- both countries have their good ways and their bad, their problems and their plus points. In the end, we are all just people. I'm happy where I am, and I'm sure you Americans are happy where you are.

On the whole, people that move EITHER way thinking life is better at where they are going are often bitterly disappointed when they find out that things are far more alike than different...

ratcat

Ushgarak
Yeah, but we do have a large money stockpile... old Mr. Prescott was criticised for taxing just to stockpile monety, and maybe rightly so, but suddenly all that cash is going to be vey useful if things are going downhill soon...

I reckon the US will do fine as well. It's poor old Japan that's feeling the strain.

Not exactly a Labour supporter, RC?

Gundark
To be honest, I've never been to the UK and I'd have to live there for at least a year to make what would be a fair comparison. So I'm stepping out of this one.

Ushgarak
Can't we just all be friends...?

Gundark
I'll be your friend !!!!! (Notice I'm not adding a gremlin....just for you.)

Ushgarak
Woohoo! Thank you, my dear... more anti-graemlin humour coming soon... along with further crazy sourpuss antics from me.

Gundark
YIPPPPPEEEEEEE!!! Sorry, I just had to do that.

Ushgarak
I thank you...

Gundark
Well I did suffer with the horrible chills that went down my spine once again...

Ushgarak
That painful, huh?

Gundark
Second only to "Lets go and play ball"

ratcat
Hang on a minute Ush, so you saying that because the government has a cash surplus, that rather than investing it into education and health, they should spend it on self-promotion...

Actually, I'm stepping back from this one too. As Gundy says it's hard to make a comparision without a decent knowledge of both sides of the equation. My view of the US is very restricted, though I hope to remedy that with an extended spell on the Northern end of the East coast as some point in the next 2 years.

Ushgarak
Oh, other people MUST hate him asking about the midichlorians... the MOST stilted and horrible line...

GL- GET A SCRIPT DOCTOR!

razman
Ratcat, if you think the US is the biz, why on earth are you living in the UK???
If I thought the US was better than the UK, I would move in a flash.

Heres some negative point for the US:

* Too much violence
* Everyone carrys guns
* Kids kill each other in schools
* They think the American way is the only way
* Still use capital punishment

I could keep listed them....but I don't have the time...

Ushgarak
Ah, HECK, I thought Gundark and myself had managed to steer this away.

Ok, yeah, fair enough, but you can make a bad list for THIS place as well. And the State system complicates criticism of America as well.

Everyone has ups and downs...

ratcat
Small point, getting a working permit is an absolute nightmare. The waiting list for work permits for UK residents who have no family or employee sponsor is over 5 years long.
Gaining permenant resedancy is worse.

Ushgarak
Hum...

Gundark
Well I do agree with Raz on all his points. Its not safe to leave home over here.

Ushgarak
Crime rates are roughly the same in both countres. The only problem in the US are the guns, which are causing the most amazing murder rates there.

Gundark
You never know when somebody is gonna go postal....

ratcat
Well, you know when the post man is gonna. After all, it's his job...

finti
guns dont kill people, people kill people. kind of worn out that one, but it is true though

Gundark
Well I guess thats true too...,

ratcat
Well that is true. But how many of those who kill with guns were legally licenced to hold them?

Gundark
Not very many I'm sure.

Ushgarak
FInti- that arguement doesn't work in the States.

Their gun crime rate is LUDICROUS. It's nine times higher than Europe's COMBINED!

So unless you are saying that the average American is a psycho... what other reason can it be but availability?

ratcat
That's kinda what I'm thinking. Be an interesting statistic to know.

Gundark
Okay, now I'm a psycho....Norman and I have something in common.

ratcat
How can you take all those diverse cultures and combine them under a single statistic. A fairer comparrision would be to look at deaths by gunshot per capita.

Ushgarak
Look, more people die of gunshot wounds in one day in the States than in one year in the UK.

An average UK Doctor may see one case of gun wounds in his life; a US one, once a week.

That statistic was carefully collected and is good. CLinton used it once.

finti
of course the argument would work in the states the gun cant act on their own.

ratcat
OK, well gunshot wounds apart, I'll still take my chances.

Ya gotta dies sometime right?

Ushgarak
DO I look stupid? Of COURSE they don't, but that argument is used to rule availability out of the equation. It does not work in the US, where availability is the only POSSIBLE cause of their obscene rate!

finti
if that is so Ush we have a higher crime rate in Norway.

Ushgarak
Well, I can't speak for Norway, but can you point out any causal link for the gun death rate in America? I doubt it. There is only one possible one.

ratcat
I guess it is the whole point about ease of access. As someone said, Ush I believe, nearly everyone has a gun.
It's just like cars. When there were less cars there were less fatalities by automobile.

Ushgarak
Exactly. The ridiculous gun death rate in America is caused mainly by the mass availability of guns. There can be no other explanation.

razman
I'm pretty sure they would ban guns if they could. But they can't as its part of their consitution.

Ushgarak
Which made perfect sense at the time, of course. That's the trouble with it all, I suppose...

ratcat
Oh, I doubt that has ever been in dispute. The pro-gun lobbyists may try and argue that it is but facts are facts.

Ushgarak
Indeed. Hence the argument of about guns not killing people, which is fair enough over here where the regulations are strong and the mass element has been removed, simply does not apply to the States where you cannot possibly claim that supply is not affecting the rate.

razman
But if America is the King of democracy then why don't they hold a referendum and decide to change the constitution?

Ushgarak
Um... that's technically feasible, but it starts getting very complex very quickly...

ratcat
Hey, that's politics! roll eyes (sarcastic)

Ushgarak
Sorry, is that banned? There's been enough EU discussion...

ratcat
No, silly, I mean that's how politics works. You have this wonderful idea of a democracy right up until the point where someone gets worried they're gonna loose out then it all falls apart....

Ushgarak
My apologies. You are probably right, of course.

ratcat
Obviously laughing out loud rolling on floor laughing laughing out loud

Ushgarak
Dumb of me...

ratcat
roll eyes (sarcastic)

Gundark
I guess since chaos isn't around, its time for mayhem to step in and drag this off topic. rolling on floor laughing

ratcat
You go for it girl!

Ushgarak
You've already done it once tonight, remember?

Gundark
We have GL. evil face

ratcat
But once is never enough!!! evil face

Gundark
What did I drag off topic, Ush ?

ratcat
Oooooohhh, we're talking about going off topic. Sorry. embarrasment

Ushgarak
THIS topic, Gundark! We turned it into a conversation about bad Anakin lines just a few hours ago!

ratcat
Wow, I missed that one.

Edna_witch
Well I hold a grudge against the US because if I ever get my British medical licence then it is acceptable in every other country in the world except The USA! It sucks. I would have o go back to being an intern to work over there! I mean come on! A medical licence is a medical licence whatever country you are in! But if they dont want meto save American lives then its no skin off my nose!

Ushgarak
Medicine is more complex over there...

Edna_witch
Well technically the medicine is the same. The beaurocracy is different! Just because they dont have a national health service and their medical Hierarchy is different does not make a British doctor any less qualified to practice medicine than an American one!

Ushgarak
Actually, American Doctors are more qualified than British ones. They do a longer and better funded course, and I think they have to have a degree before they even start.

Edna_witch
Nope I dont think their course is any longer but I dont now about them having to have another dgree. Just because they have another degree doesnt make them more qualified to practce medicine anyway. Besides most british medical degrees now have an intercollated BSc now anyway so we have to do two degrees too!

Ushgarak
Well, my Doctor (well.. clincial year, close enough) friend says their course is two years longer, and he's been out there...

Edna_witch
Well it depends. If you think it is white then it is definitely Black and vice versa!

Ushgarak
Well, that's just silly talk. Please supply evidence for your statements...

Edna_witch
No! Now we are way off topic so just shut up before we get shouted at. Again!

Ushgarak
Well, you gave THAT up very easily... try not to get run over at the next zebra crossing...

Edna_witch
Funny! I told you I cant argue with you!

Ushgarak
I THINK that's a good thing... well, today is going very well, I must say...

Edna_witch
Usually people just back down rather than ague with me. it makes a refreshing chnage to meet a guy who satdns up to me and doesnt let me boss him around.

Ushgarak
Whatever you say...

Oops! No... I'm not the bossable type, really.

Edna_witch
Damn! That means I have no power over you!

Oops off toic again. Ok we will shut up now!

Ushgarak
Haven't you worked out that off-topic is what keeps this place alive? Three people here dedicate themselves to it! And the less this one is kept on topic, the better.

Edna_witch
But RC always shouts at us when we go off topic. And I think Ihave upset him enough for one lifetime!

Ushgarak
No, it wasn't for going off-topic, it was for DARING to use this place as a social outlet...

Edna_witch
But still I dont like arguing with people on the board. except you of course!

Ushgarak
Woo-hoo! I'm special! But this thread was too dangerous to be left on-topic.

Edna_witch
Hum we wouldnt want an international divide on the board now would we?

Ushgarak
No...

ratcat
Actually, I complained that you were moaning about me adding my comments to you posting frenzy.

This place is a social outlet, all I said was to stop complaining if other make comments. It was a case of "If you don't want comments, don't do it in public actually."

Ushgarak
So what did your commnets like

"Just get a room" and "There is such a thing as ICQ, you know!" mean?

ratcat
Because at the time you were moaning, IN A BIG WAY, about my interjections....

Jesus, you really need to take a chill out pill Ush, it's only a board ya know. laughing out loud

Ushgarak
Yeah, ok. I wasn't actually being serious when I said you didn't like us DARING etc... it was meant to be ironic...

Look, what am I doing wrong in the Bar? If you can post there, why can'tI?

ratcat
See you figuired it.

Irony, an interestingt concept for a more interesting time.... laughing out loud

Ushgarak
Yeah, just a viewing problem...

More irony in these boards! All manner of linguistic tricks!

ratcat
Hey, don't look at me, I have anough trouble with the basics....

Ushgarak
See! That was irony, right there!

ratcat
It was, were. I didn't see it.

Ushgarak
Spelling a sentence wrong when you were saying you were having trouble with the basics!

ratcat
Really, ya know, if I'd wanted to be really ironic I might have done it twice.... wink

Ushgarak
(Note- that was 'SATIRE')

ratcat
(Note: No, that was 'SARCASM')

(Beings as that was exactly what I did....)

Ushgarak
It WAS satire, though. Clear self-mockery. I DID get the point.

ratcat
Not really, cos I didn't mean to do it.

Unless your referring to the sarcasm as being satirical sarcasm, hich would work...

Ushgarak
Heck, this could go on all day...

ratcat
Ya think?

Ushgarak
Dunno. You?

ratcat
Actually no, I want my dinner...

razman
Closing...

Edna_witch
But still just because they have a longer course doesnt mean they are more qualified. Ours is probably more intenive because the NHS cant afford to fund us through more than 6 years at university! If we werent qualified enough then we wouldnt be allowed to practice medicine in every other country in the world would we? I just think it sucks!

Ushgarak
Ok, I'll take your word for it... my friend was pretty sure they were better though. I wasn't saying that British Doctors were no good, not by a long shot...

Edna_witch
I just think it is unfair that we are good enough for every other county but we arent good enough for the Americans! Its not fair!

Ushgarak
I don't think it's just Britain they do thst with, is it? It's everywhere, I think.

Edna_witch
I know I know. God I wish i had never brought this up. Why is it I can always win arguments except with you! Man that is so annoying! Im going to shut up now before I make myself look more stupid and Whingey!

Ushgarak
Bow before the Master, my dear, for you have met someone more stubborn than you...

Edna_witch
Oh no no no! I think not matey!

Ushgarak
Well, this is going to be fun...

Edna_witch
I have really bad habit of carrying on arguing even when I know Im wrong. I just wont admit Im wrong! Mum says I would swear black is white!

Ushgarak
And is it?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.