Grades

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ChinaNiki
I was asked today by one of my co-teachers to change some of the grades I had given to three of my second grade classes. Now considering the fact that I can't give anything lower than a "C" to begin with, how the heck am I supposed to grade my worst students if there is no bad student option? And I had graded the 'little darlings' based on the rubric the school gave me to begin with. I was told that some of the parents don't want to see bad grades on the monthly report cards and the head master wanted me to change them. (They pay for all six years of classes in one shot at this school. Can you say cash cow?) I told them if the headmaster wanted the grades changed he/she could change them him/herself. I mean what had I spent the last month doing if I am only supposed to hand out "A's" or "B's" anyway. Shoot, I could pop in a movie everyday and save myself the trouble of trying to talk over the students and the constant construction in an attempt to get them to speak using a full sentence. They are worried about the reputation of the school, but really, how good can it be if no one can fail a freakin' class.

mad mad mad mad mad

yerssot
well... if it can help ...

*says*
cash cow
wink

Another_Smithy
That is ****ed up Niki, even if they are in second grade, the point of school is to learn and learn where you belong, looks like later in life those kids are going to be in LD classes, you did the right thing Niki.

Phoenix
you totally did the right thing niki!!! whats the point of a grade unless you've earnt it?

G.P

Phoenix
erm..... in england they rase the percentage you need for a good grade cos they say theyre are too many passes....

silver_tears
i dont think anything like that goe on here....
but i dont worry bout it cuz i get good grades big grin

G.P
So do I but it's unfair !

Phoenix
I get C's now cos they decided theyre were too many A and B students so shifted everyone down...

Phoenix
so I got about 70 - 80% on the exams and got a C!

G.P
weird... messed

Phoenix
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevil... evil face

silver_tears
i get 85-95 angel

G.P
Our grades are neither A,B,C,... nor 'out of 100'... It's out of 20 ! messed
But giving my grades wouldn't makes sense, for it depends how it is corrected, which grade it is,etc

badkittykitty
wow niki thats sucks,you did the right thing telling the headmaster to change them hold on to your integrity!

crazy_c
Okay in my school they just giv u watver u get. not cos u "deserve" it or sumtin. And in ireland u dont start gettin ABC grades till secondary school

ChinaNiki
i'm sure the grades got changed the head teacher for the Chinese english teachers said he would do it since I didn't want to
still it's a bunch of BS
the vice principal likes our group of american teachers better than last years because we are working so hard and not partying and missing classes like last year's group
but why should i bust my butt trying to get the students to learn english if the grades i give don't matter
i'm so tempted to just go "ABABBAA" down the class list next month so i don't spend hours figuring up comprehension, speech, and behavior grades next time

i appreciate all the support from you guys *gets weepy* *sniff sniff* big grin

badkittykitty
awhh niki we are here for ya.http://www.killermovies.com/forums/images/moresmilies/group.gif

GroundedAgain
jeeez dat sux. good job niki

BackFire349
tell your co teacher to piss off and mind her business.

ChinaNiki
we tried to find out exactly who the headmaster was today
OMG!!! the Chinese teachers were dancing faster than Micheal Flatly in Riverdance
they kept saying that since we were new to the students and the students were new to us that maybe that was the problem with behavior and volume getting out of hand in the classroom

really they should just give us the grades they want the students to have each month and then we'll watch Magic English the rest of the time and i'll stop killing my voice trying to talk over them

badkittykitty
omg niki thats sucks,so there like blaming you guys for the kids poor grades,that sucks

ChinaNiki
not really blaming us but not letting us give the grade the kids deserve

i want some of these parents to ask why their child got a bad grade
i want them to call the schoo
l so I can show them in my notebook and on the seating chart where their child talks all through class, can't answer the questions, never speaks up during class, or doesn't stay in their seat

i haven't been grading homework because that is supposed to be the co-teachers job, but they haven't been doing it and they really haven't been meeting with us to tell us what is expected for each unit

we just have a copy of the end of term exams from last year to give us an idea of how the students should be able to perform

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.