A little eye opener based on the truth............

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ratcat
Jack took a long look at his speedo before slowing down: 55 in a 30 mph. The fourth time in as many months. How could he get caught so often?

When his car had slowed to 10 miles an hour, Jack pulled over, but only partially. Let the copper worry about the potential traffic hazard. Maybe some other car will tweak his backside with a mirror.

The copper was stepping out of his car, the big pad in hand. Bob? Bob from Church? Jack sunk farther into his trench coat. This was worse than the coming speed ticket. A Christian copper, catching a bloke from his own church. A bloke who happened to be a little eager to get home after a long day at work. A bloke he was about to play golf with tomorrow. Jumping out of the car, he approached a man he saw every Sunday, a man he'd never seen in uniform.

"Hi, Bob. Fancy meeting you like this."

"Hello, Jack." No smile.

"Guess you caught me red-handed in a rush to see my wife and kids."

"Yeah, I guess so."

Bob seemed uncertain. Good. "I've seen some long days at the office lately. I'm afraid I bent the rules a bit-just this once."

Jack toed at a pebble on the pavement. "Diane said something about roast beef and yorkshires tonight. Know what I mean?"

"I know what you mean. I also know that you have a reputation in this area!!"

Ouch! This was not going in the right direction. Time to change tactics. "What'd you clock me at?"

"fifty five. Would you sit back in your car please?"

"Now wait a minute here, Bob. I checked as soon as I saw you. I was barely nudging 40." The lie seemed to come easier with every ticket.

"Please, Jack, in the car."

Flustered, Jack hunched himself through the still-open door. Slamming it shut, he stared at the dashboard. He was in no rush to open the window.

The minutes ticked by. Bob scribbled away on the pad. Why hadn't he asked for a driver's license? Whatever the reason, it would be a month of Sundays before Jack ever sat near this cop again. A tap on the door jerked his head to the left. There was Bob, a folded paper in hand.

Jack rolled down the window a mere two inches, just enough room for Bob to pass him the slip.

"Thanks." Jack could not quite keep the sneer out of his voice. Bob returned to his police car without a word. Jack watched his retreat in the mirror.

Jack unfolded the sheet of paper. How much was this one going to cost? Maybe even a ban!

Wait a minute. What was this? Some kind of joke? Certainly not a ticket. Jack began to read:

Jack turned around in time to see Bob's car pull away and head down the road. Jack watched until it disappeared. A full 15 minutes later, he too, pulled away and drove slowly home, praying for forgiveness and hugging a surprised wife and kids when he arrived.

Life is precious. Handle with care. This is an important message, please pass it along to your friends. Drive safely and carefully. Remember, cars are not the only things recalled by their maker.

Funny how you can send a thousand 'jokes' through e-mail and they spread like wildfire, but when you start sending messages regarding the sanctity of life, people think twice about sharing. Funny how when you go to forward this message, you will not send it to many on your address list because you're not sure what they believe, or what they will think of you for sending it to them.

Pass this on - you may save a life.

Gundark
That was a major eye-opener, RC. Not that I'm a real speeder, but it certainly makes you step back and re-evaluate your driving. Thanks. cool

finti
Speeding in Norway needs a fat wallet, real fat wallet.

ratcat
Scary stuff huh.

keokiswahine
Yup, RC, this is good stuff, a case of reality. Someone sent that to me last year, and, of course, I passed it around, too. smile

Ushgarak
It very rarely WORKS though, that's the problem. That sort of message tends to appeal to the converted.

queeq
Non-converts give no value to life then?

Ushgarak
No, that's somewhat the point. You think drink drivers kill on purpose? They are just ophenonenally thoughtless. Sadly, most of the human race comes under this category and no amount of stories will sway them freom that. That its why the drink drive rate is so high. You cannot shame people into stopping. Not on the whole, anyway.

queeq
No probably not. Paying for it with money doesn't work either. I heard actually killing someone can do the trick.

Ushgarak
There is a report in today's Telegraph that demonstrates the point very well. Or maybe yesterday's. Anyhow, 17 year old girl, drunk driving home from party, killed four of her friends in a car crash. Just got two years prison. Uttelry devastated, life destroyed, and she was apparently the nicest girl you would ever meet, and if she had seen RC's opening post she would have agreed with it.

But she was thoughtless. And it happened. And so it will go on.

I'm betting she won't again when she gets out, though.

(BTW there were angry deputations on both sides that the sentence was too high or too low)

queeq
Well, what can I say.... quite sad really.

I make it a policy not to drink at all when I still have to drive that day. That way you can never blame yourself for doing something wrong due to alcohol... Other things can happen, but at least it's one precaution.

Ushgarak
Luckily, as I neither drink nor drive I can skip the whole issue.

queeq
End of topic then. laughing out loud

Gundark
I am always the designated driver when we go out, which is only about a half dozen times a year. We have a tap system at home and I buy wine and frozen drink mixes for at home also. We are more comfortable there anyway, whether watching a movie or having friends over for dinner or just kicking back. No need to go out among the maniacs over here.

queeq
We DEFINATELY need to have a party at Gundy's. And we'll all stay over. big grin

ratcat
I'm going to Phily in October possibly, you can be my designated drive Gundy. big grin

keokiswahine
Party at Gundy's. wink wink smokin'

finti
That be cool get some imported BEER Gundy, us europeans dont like those water brands Budweiser or Michelob. big grin

ratcat
Um, I like Budweiser....

ratcat
Um, I like Budweiser....

finti
yeah and you need two to get the effect of one european laughing out loud

ratcat
Works for me, I alway prefer the drinking part to the falling over a lot part.

queeq
I just don't get that, RC. There are even lagers in England that are better than Bud. But you're welcome to it of course. I'll bring a few cases of Grolsch. And some Heineken for those who cannot appreciate the good stuff but think they do. laughing out loud

Gundark
Tommy's fav is Molson or Foster's. Sometimes he gets domestics like Miller Genuine Draft, Rolling Rock or Yuengling Lager. He has a tin can attached to the front of the fridge for donations that says "Betty Ford Funds".

We have ping pong or darts downstairs. Tommy's guitars and amps are down in his den, thats where the guys usually jam. We have tv and stereo system down there too, but the kick a** system is upstairs in the living room. Gym is in the basement in case you wanna work out while everybody else is partying. Play ball with the labs or veg out on the front patio (since the back yard is still a disaster zone). If you want a little more adventure, Tommy will gas up one of his dirt bikes and take you for a wild ride in the back fields. But that has to be before he's drinking of course. Life insurance optional. laughing out loud laughing out loud

keokiswahine
Is the party still at Gundy's place? confused

finti
I love Heineken Grolsch taste like it sounds.

queeq
Excellent? Yes!

And yes, the party is still at Gundy's. Look at all the stuff she has and how she's promoting the place.

finti
To me it sounds like something I wouldnt touch even with an nuclear suit. Go Heineken

Gundark
Grolsch sounds like the noise your stomach makes when its empty. Although George Carlin calls it "borborigme". Pronounced, for those of you who don't know, BOR-BOR-IG-ME. laughing out loud

queeq
Trust me. Heineken is a crappy beer. Grolsch is a lot better. Maybe not the lousy imported stuff, never had that, but here in Holland it's usually preferred over Heineken. And both are Dutch...

Gundark
How about St. Pauli Girl ?

ratcat
Ooo, I like Grolsch..

keokiswahine
sorry, haven't tried it yet. wink confused

finti

queeq
Heineken uber alles? Unbelievable.... unbelievable.... tsk tsk tsk

Quite interesting how a topic on safe driving turned into a beer thread. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Ushgarak
It IS odd, yes...

ratcat
But Carlseberg is the best.... Brobably

queeq
Mwah.

Ushgarak
I come here to relax and all I am getting now are horrible paranoid visions. Bloody hell.

I'm going to make a half-hearted attempt to sleep now.

queeq
Ush is a bit cranky, he misses Edna. wink

Gundark
What about Canadian beer ?

queeq
Moosehead is fairly bearable.

Gundark
Well I do like Moosehead. Labatt's Blue is okay too.

Gundark
Busch is american.

queeq
Oh...

Ratcat
At the end of the day, isn't it just a case of you like what you like and others be damned? roll eyes (sarcastic)

queeq
Is it? okay...

Ratcat
But of course. Forcing your own ideals on someone else, be it beer or anything else, is not a nice trait. Though being able to express a coherent opinion, without being OTT, is quite a nice one. smile

queeq
Is this RC speaking???????? confused confused

Anyway, I don't damn anyone for liking horrible beer. But I can still think it's horrible beer, can't I? And I can say it too, right? There's no damnation in that, just disagreement. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Ushgarak
Heck, I was muchly messed up when I posted that last one...

I, of course, have absolutely NO idea on beers whatsoever.

queeq
Of course not. wink

queeq
Is Busch also Canadian? The beer I mean. laughing out loud

Gundark
That's because Ush drinks.....uh, I forgot. Its not tea or coffee...um, WATER !!!!!

queeq
So they call beer water in Essex. They are indeed weird over there.

Ushgarak
Orange juice, Sprite, water and Lucozade.

queeq
Do you get paid by the Coca-Cola company?

Ushgarak
I wish! Do they make water?

queeq
Yes, with bubbles and sugar. They call it Sprite.

Ushgarak
Beer drinking has killed your taste buds.

razman
Doesn't Sprite has some sort of Lemon and Lime in it?

Gundark
Yes Raz. They have a promotional like "the great taste of lemon and lime....Lymon"

Ushgarak
I THINK Queeq was being a tad mocking there...

razman
Hmm...I REALLY should read posts above the last two huh.

Ushgarak
AH well... esepcaily, if you are going to join the RP! Popular opinion wants you as our new villain, Raz...

Edna_witch
Ooh! Evil Raz! Yeah!

Ushgarak
There's ANOTHER vote!

queeq
And another one!

Edna_witch
Come on Raz! Please! It would be so much fun!

queeq
Yes Raz. Indulge us.

Ushgarak
Everyone wants you!

queeq
Yes, EVERYONE! I know.

finti
oh realy roll eyes (sarcastic)

queeq
Yes, you bailed out. sad

keokiswahine
the evil raz has a nice ringggggg to it, a ring around the neck. evil face

finti
And again Keo almost sounds like a lawyer smile eek!

Gundark
Maybe we should take away "confused" and give her "lawyer". Finti, you should be "jukebox/drinkbot".

queeq
'Lawyer' would be so appropriate, you have no idea.

Gundark
Well just give me the highlights.

keokiswahine
stick out tongue cool roll eyes (sarcastic) eek! evil face laughing out loud smokin' rolling on floor laughing

queeq
There they are, all eight of them.

finti
The brat pack big grin

Gundark
Thanks. Everything is so much clearer now. stick out tongue

queeq
You're welcome.

finti
Tanks roll eyes (sarcastic)

queeq
Tanks? Where?

finti
oops , just shows there is a thin line between love and hate laughing out loud

queeq
That's what this place is all about. evil face

keokiswahine
we luv to hate evil face but then, we tend to hate to luv, too roll eyes (sarcastic) laughing out loud

queeq
Now I'm confused. confused

finti
That is what Keo is all about smokin' rolling on floor laughing

queeq
She used to BE confused, about everything. It's contageous now.

finti
"I used to be confused now i just dont know"
-the biggest selling Norwegian musical act ever!!!

queeq
You never cease to amaze me, always a tune to the occasion. Where's that title of yours! RAZ!!!!

keokiswahine
Raz, oh Raz, where art thou? confused confused

Ushgarak
Yah, any chyance the privileged JC members can actually tell us where he is? We pay his taxes after all. Well, we don;t, but we would if he levied any.

finti
Maybe he is on a vacation

freeq
sad

Yes, he's away for something. A course or something. Too bad my freeqness screwed up my access to the JC. Thanks, Edna. How long does it usually take for her spells to wear off?

ratcat
Could take years...

Dim
Should I turn your GDF pic green now???

freeq
sad

I doubt it'll last. It doesn't work outside the GDF I noticed.

ratcat
He's a lean, green, dutch boy machine!!!

freeq
sad

Amen.

ratcat
And let me hear a yeah!

YEAH!

I saaaaiiiiiiid, let me hear a Yeah!

YEAH!!!

Amen Brothers and Sisters!

AMEN!!!

freeq
*Elvis voice* Thank you. Thank you very much.

Gundark
(brings freeq a big platter of fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches) Here you are, my hunka-hunka burning freeq !! smile

freeq
*Elvis voice* Love me tender. Just like my momma makes them.

ratcat
*Sit's down to wait for freeqs trouser button to burst.*

finti
"And if the dam breaks(burst) open many years too soon
And if there is no room upon the hill
And if your head explodes with dark forbodings too
I'll see you on the dark side of the moon"
-Pink Floyd

ratcat
Stuck in a timewarp Finti. You know that quoting old songs is a massive sign of old age...

finti
What do you call people who study art then?

ratcat
Study is one thing, endless quoting is another.

And Pink Floyd is pretty low on the art scale - IMHO OC.

freeq
OOooooooh. *hides*

finti
Well quoting things can be either a seed of a study or teaching, charing your knowledge of music.

Dim
Great, I get ready to close this and fint goes and starts waxing philosophical... roll eyes (sarcastic)

Gundark
Maybe you just need to try Floyd with headphones, RC.

ratcat
Ummmmmmm, I DON'T think so.... roll eyes (sarcastic)

freeq
Don't bump it until you've tried.

Gundark
Try it, you might like it.

phinney6
I know I loved it

ratcat
This isn't Dr. Pepper you know.

Gundark
Well then don't try it. We'll ram something else down your throat instead. laughing out loud

freeq
That's my Gundy talking. laughing out loud

Gundark
Why don't you just lie down on the slab, RC.....(rummages in instrument case)

ratcat
Shrugs, lays down on slab.

Whatever...

freeq
He's such an obedient victim.

queeq
Over 100 and off topic... CLOSING.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.