You know what bugs me a little ?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

pablo007
I don't mean to sound racist at all and if you think I am a racist then you are stupid. What bugs me is that characters that were supposed to be white are played by black actors. Bosley, Dr. Dolittle, Jim West, Kingpin, Hondo from Swat, and now Halle plays Catwoman. I have nothing against black people, I have black friends and they agree with me. While these actors play the roles excellently it still bugs me. It would bug me even more if Brad Pitt played Mohammed Ali. And it would probably bug black people as well.

What do you think about this ?

Darth Vicious
I agree with you, i hate that they made the Kingpin black, not because of race buit as a comic book collector the original Kingpin which is white has have decades of history and changing him to black messes up that history!

ragesRemorse
yeah that bugged me a great deal as well but then i realized, that if the kingpin had been whit the movie would have still been just as bad. and i dont think they could have found anyone white that looks as much like the king pin as the guy they casted. However halle berry as catwoman just seems like there trying to make a racial statement which is bullshit

Darth Vicious
I agree with u and about the Kingpin it shouldve been white wether the movie was good or bad!

vvvrulz
Catwoman? Halle Berry?
Crazy, and this is coming from a black person.

Magee
Im a little l8 in posting but i agree i mean even in the new cgi spiderman they made the king pin black.Does this mean anything from now involving the kingpin he will black. If so they have fuked up. Halle Berry as catwoman, she does have the figure, no?

pablo007
Well yeah but Michelle Pfeiffer was better.

slinger
I'm black and I don't mind if Halle plays Catwoman. SHe's not playing Selina Kyle. The costume sucks though. And I think Michael Clarke Duncan as Kingpin was pretty good.

buffymitch

DeNiro
i dont like it either but u know one thing i do hate is seeing all of these cammercials on tv and also the mvoies how like every time they show three or more girls one is white anotehr is black and the other one might be this or that or white but this doesnt bug me at all i mean i have black friends that r really really cool with me and shit but i am saying that people in my school really dont go to another black person house if they r white or mexican or so on and so fourth and also at a football game i will say hey to all my blakck friends but we dont hang out there toegether i mean we r all segergated so what makes me mad is the advertisers just trying to play out to all the marktes and look like they r not rasict even if the brand or the company is run by a guy that is prolly rasict i mean look at our prez he is a redneck no doubt about it but it is the image thing but ne way one more thing that makes me mad is that in every movie were there is a white person and a black person as say friends or what not the white person is always the one talking like the blakc person like yo this and that and slapping hands like they do and i aint being a jerk i mean i am not rasicts i am just saying why cant the black guy eevr just shake the dudes hand say hello and be done not all this bull shit like the white surburben guy is acting like he is from the ghetto i mean we can change it around and shit but still it never seems to go into the white persons directiong but ne way i dont know if this makes ne sense i wish i could explain it better but if ne one feels like this post was insulting or ne thing i will be happy to explain what i meant cause i didnt mean ne harm or rasicism in this thread ok so just shoot me a pm if u feel offended by ne thing cause i didnt mean for it to be

keif
i agree with a few things...yes i belive what a chacter is should stay that way..it'd be like having samuel l jackson playing wyat earp or jackie chan as gandhi...as for halle barry it is a money thing and belive it or not that is all the movie industry cares about...what sells and whats hot...look at jim carrey and tommy lee jones as the riddler and two face..the only reason in my opinion they had the role is because they are money bringers..i mean two faces whole thing is harvey dent was a good looking guy and the scaring made him insane..no offense to mr.jones but he was ugly before the makeup...advtisors and media in generel want to sell to everyone and will sell the hot item at the time...

me black & what
stop hating start apprieciating ok and wot if dey play da part if ur dat affended u go and do acting and becum 1 ok and STOP BEING ****IN RASCIST

VENOMfan
I dont think MKD did a bad job as Kingpin. he had the look the build the voice everything. he just wasnt white. I know it wasnt like how it was in the comics but it still worked

I do not like Catwoman tho. the costume looks ridiculous and Halle needs to quit with Comic roll's. she couldnt do storm she cant do Catwoman((not even the same character from the comics I might add))

VENOMfan
and try to keep calm me black & what. we dont want this to turn into bashing and get the thread closed

Arachnoidfreak
The illiterate should be banned from the internet. I wish people who have trouble communicating would just shut up.

Raventheonly
Michel Pfifer was indeed really good as catwoman ... in that one though she was mondo psyco.

moshtitan
man this is kinda a sore topic.... in some ways it shows we dont live in a colorblind society yet, which shows that we still have some way to go.......i personally dont mind having actors who are different races as the roles they portray..this might be simply because im an oreo, but i see where you guys are comin from........it would be more faithfull to the story if they were the same race as their characters their playing. its all an opinion thing, just gotta go w/ it

Arachnoidfreak
oreo...hahahaha laughing nice one

Gregory
To a certain extent, I think they should try to pick actors that resemble the character they're supposed to be portraying. It doesn't even have anything to do with race; I'd think it was sort of odd if Batman had bright red hair, for example.

moshtitan
ya its pretty funny! eek!

wuTa
i didnt have a problem with duncan playing the kingpin...he read the comics growing up and i thought he did a descent job of portraying the charactor.....i mean would your rather have an actor portraying the charactor with respect and descentsy...or would you be more satisfying with a white actor totally screwing up that role.....i'll tell ya one thing after seeing george clooney screw up playing batman i'd pick a brother any day over him to play bruce wayne

Arachnoidfreak
that reminds me....Christian Bale looks like a *****. he shouldnt be playing Batman

wuTa
isnt he english? what he soing playing bruce wayne....he should be in the next harry potter movie not the next batman film but he cant possible f*ck up as bad as clooney i dont think thats possible but if he does i'm gonna be pissed! mad

Wynndar
oh shit they're takin over!!!!...hahahaha...Im a umm...."Mulatto"....so im not really bias to either side really...but i agree with someone's comment about money...yea Halle was casted cuz people r going to watch it...honestly, i think Michelle Pfiefer was perfect as catwaman....especially since i had jus started puberty when that movie came out...regardless....i think its about time u see more minorities in comics...the most popular comics started during a time when u didnt see many brown people in a positive light in any media...look at the JLA....so whatever changes they make in the present...as long as they r not a crucial part of the heroes' history or character...i dont mind....but i dont think that the caucasian ansestory of many characters is very important...for instance, the ancestory of any member of JLA or FF could change...and it would hurt the story of team in a negative...this is just my opinion...dont assume that i think this is fact...its just how i feel, i dont want to offend anyone...but if catwoman is black, i dont see how it affcts the plot of her story...

Magee
Well being inbetween Black and White skin wise i think makes me not to bothered about the colour of skin people have, in a movie aswel. I thought that guy in DD was good as Kingpin he had the build and everything. Hale Berry as Catwoman isnt so bad, sure she sucked as Storm but maybe she'll be better as catwoman (is this the one that knows spiderman??) and yea there probably is people out there who could play her better but hey what ya gonna do?
However it would be a little f'd up if someone of different origin from the comic book characters played them. Like a chinese, french or brittish lol.

who?-kid

Arachnoidfreak
Agreed.

moshtitan
i totally understand your point.

who?-kid
Something I forgot: Halle Berry is a good actress (I'm one of the few people that actually liked her in X-Men) but something tells me the Catwoman movie will be a disaster.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

Maelstrom
at first i wasn't used to a black Nick furry in an avengers book but now i think he is a rock

moshtitan
ya, hes a chevy alright! laughing

FrothByte
yup, no respect at all for the origin of the characters. these comic book characters are things that i grew up with, and i know u all know how disappointing it feels to have an actor who totally doesn't look like them play them. witchblade sucks. the girl who played her part totally doesn't look hot. MCD did a great job as kingpin, but it would really have been better if they found a big white guy for the part, coz that's the kingpin i grew up with. halle berry is a great actess, but honestly she should stay out of the comic book world. that catwoman thing is totally gonna make me crap.

oh, and im brown, so i have nothing against either white or black guys.
hell, if they made blade white i would have totally lost all appetite for comic movies.

Magee
I think that theres a difference between turning a character into a woman or making them a viking than them being a different colour in the movies from the comic books. The fact that one or two of u r saying that big guy was good as kingpin but it should have been a white guy makes no sense. He played him well regardless of the colour of his skin. I know it annoys people when they change the colour of people in comic movies but remember most of these comics were made in the days were blacks wernt exactly the most popular of people.
Dont hate me, just my opinion. big grin

--Magee--

who?-kid
If you ask me: I was not that impressed with his performance. He just had to be big, suck on his cigar and look mean. No problem, he can do that all day long. He was "okay", nothing more. But he didn't feel like THE Kingpin, not in my opinion. I'm sure lots of people could have played Kingpin. Be honest, it's not the most difficult role ever.

The switching of the race is one thing, but the fact that it was done without giving one proper reason for doing so, without any explanation apart from "he's big and bald so he must be Kingpin" gets on my nerves.

MCD was better in The Green Mile, which was also a far better film.

No worries there, I'm not the hating kind smile. You have an interesting point there. If you compare it to the heroes and villains of today, there certainly were not so many colored people in the comic world as nowadays (same for the movie world, the world of literature, science and so on).

So, for the sake of argument, let's assume that Daredevil and Kingpin were created in the nineties => it wouldn't be that far fetched to say these characters could have been black instead of white. I wouldn't mind.

But they aren't black, so according to me, it's best to not switch race. Like I said, it's all a matter of respect for the original comics.

But if somebody has a different view, feel free to share.

moshtitan
ya, i was kinda a wanting to see an actor portray the kingpin as the one i had grown up watching on the spiderman cartoon show that came on saturday mornings......a big white, bald man, with a kind of rich people's accent.

SuperDarryl
All I got to say is Hollywood is a equal opportunity employer, thats why we are seeing more minorities in the leading and supporting roles. The bottom line is whoever does the best job, gets the job. With that having been said, may the best man or woman win. smile

who?-kid
No offense, but I hope you're joking, right ? Since when has talent something to do with Hollywood ? And Hollywood being an "equal opportunity employer" ? Yeah right.

I'm sure you mean that the actor or actress who are the most handsome/popular/famous have the best parts, not the people with the most talent. I happen to know a thing or two about movies, and the most important rule in Tinseltown is the 4m-formula: movies must make money.

This is mostly done by letting famous and popular actors play in big films, not by relying on acting talent.

(Sorry if this is a bit of topic, people.)

moshtitan
who?-kid has a point.

SuperDarryl
I was speaking about different races playing the roles of super-heros or villans that were originally caucasian. Of course Hollywood is gonna pick the best looking/popular/famous people. But the job is generally going to be givin to whomever is seen to reap the most benefit. Being that benefit meaning profit. Cause thats what Hollywood is all about right? MONEY!

who?-kid
OK.

So we agree (sort of) wink.

Daywalker
MKD was decent and Halle's acting in the short clips that i've seen look ok although that costume is pure garbage. The race changes in my opinion have been minor ones. In some cases, I see how it wouldn't work. Malcolm X couldn't be a white guy for instance.

I see nobody mentioned the reverse. In the Spawn movie Priest was played by a white woman and the character is really a black man. Spawn's best friend was supposed to be black too but again he was replaced by a white guy.

OH NO!!! BATMAN IS A BLACK GUY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LMAO!!!

Arachnoidfreak
Spawn's best friend(Terry) in the movie wasnt a white guy. a REALLY light skinned black man. just like the comic(at least im pretty sure thats how it was, havent seen the movie in a while. ill watch it again soon)

moshtitan
well, when i saw him, i thought he was white also.....but then again i could be wrong.

Daywalker
No, that dude was white

Arachnoidfreak
i dunno. ill see it again

moshtitan
i thought so

Daywalker
I have the DVD and and from every pause angle, he is white

Daywalker
Ok, here he is and I don't know any Black people that look like this.

VENOMfan
*insert wacko Jacko joke

Arachnoidfreak
Well, im sorry that my memory sucks, but i havent seen that movie since about 1999. so yea, thats another case of hollywood changing the race of characters. i got irritated after the first dozen or so times they did it

badsymbiote
Oh, yeah. Hollywood knows what is attractive, right? You can't have two black men star in a live-action comic book flick. Who'd go for that? roll eyes (sarcastic)
Besides--there just aren't that many good-looking black actors out there, except for Denzel, of course. Oh yeah, Wesley Snipes. And Ice Cube, Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock and Chris Tucker--and Michael Clarke-Duncan--I guess there are 1 or 2, huh?

Darth Jello
Agent J was a white guy with a red mullet in the MIB comics

Wynndar
Mullet

Daywalker
I'd love to see Michael Jai White (Spawn) do more comic book movies. He's perfect. He's the only other guy I could have seen as Blade too. But let's face it, there are not many black superheroes left to portray.............well black superheroes that are interesting enough anyway.

Michael Clark Duncan could have been fighting this guy......................
he was too cool. See? All heroes have a little black in em'
cool

Daywalker
laughing laughing out loud laughing
Good thing they changed him out
laughing out loud laughing laughing out loud

Arachnoidfreak
if im not mistaken, doesnt Michael Jai White take on more villain roles than hero? Even so, he is a decent actor and would be good as Luke Cage(Power Man), if they do decide to make a Heros for Hire movie.(i just cant see Michael Clarke Duncan with nappy hair)

Daywalker
Yeah, he does play the villain more often than the hero but he really sold me with his role in Spawn. Similar to Wesley Snipes, does have an impressive martial arts background along with the right look and that goes a long way in comic book/action films.

Arachnoidfreak
I agree. Even as a villain, i found Michael Jai White to be entertaining, as all actors should be.

moshtitan
What villian roles did Michael Jai White play??

Arachnoidfreak
i cant remember them off of the top of my head, but ive seen him in a couple dirty cop roles....Exit Wounds i think. and a few others

moshtitan
hmmm....cant remember if i saw that or not.

SuperDarryl
Yeah Michael Clark Duncan is a pretty good looking black actor that does very well, as a villan or a hero. He starred as spawn his most I believe notable role, and popular role but he starred in a few more I enjoyed. bunny

Liked him in Spawn

SuperDarryl
Also liked him in the 3rd Universal Soldier movie with Van Damme, as well as Exit wounds being a corrupted cop. And thats about all I remeber him acting in

Arachnoidfreak
Michael Clarke Duncan wasnt in Spawn(or universal soldier). it was Michael Jai White. we just went over that. i brought up duncan because he's the only other guy i could think of as Luke Cage. Michael Clarke Duncan was in The Green Mile and was Kingpin in Daredevil.

moshtitan
man typos suck!!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.