I like Return of the Jedi better than Empire Strikes Back

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

pablo007
People tend to disagree with me on this one.

BackFire349
jedi is my favorite in teh whole series.

finti
I am a ESB fan

yerssot
same as finti, except I'm not from stavanger and not that old, nor do I speak norwe...well, you get the picture

finti
nor are you as smaart, goodlooking, likeable ,cool........ etc

yerssot
smaart? laughing out loud
though, you are right anyway

Baylin
I love ROTJ because it was the first one i saw at the cinema but I def prefer ESB.

Lyn
I like ROTJ the most out of the OT--I LOVED the other two as well but ROTJ just had so much in it!!

The Swoll
ESB in my opinion

Metroplex
empire strikes back has a better ending of all the star wars movie so i guess my favorite is esb

Fire
ROTJ

yerssot
you just like it because of the Mon Cal cruiser

Ushgarak
ROTJ my least favourite of all 5, to be sure. Good bits IN it but just does not hang together.

Lyn
ESB was a great film though, it had Yoda in it & the Emperor for the first time. Plus Han & Leia, aww....

ToMacco
Star Wars and Empire are the best.

Darth Hater
3 words

EMPIRE
STRIKES
BACK

mephistodesigns
can i get a hell yeah!?

yerssot
no, you can get a "yayyyy ESB!" yell...

mephistodesigns
that'll do! big grin

Lyn
laughing

The_Inevitable
smokin' ESB smokin'

Darth Hater
thumb up

StarWars_Fan
I'd have to choose The Empire Strikes Back, i thought the battle of hoth was cool, and it was good to see the imperial kicking some ass for once, also liked the lightsaber fight between Darth Vader and luke on bespin.

Lyn
I like when Luke falls and is hanging from that antennae thingie, minus one arm, and he calls for Leia and she hears him!!

yerssot
powerful voice wink

Neo Is a Jedi
Myself ROTJ is the best one of them all..great battles and everything just fell into place..as the final starwars should...but the first starwars movies are 100x better then these new ones.

Lyn
True Yerssot... thumb up

Corran
ESB stomps all over ROTJ

Neo Is a Jedi
Nope it sure doesn't

Lyn
laughing Right on Neo thumb up
((P.S I like your sig thingie))

triton
how can you compare ESB to ROTJ? ESB is a much darker movie, the rebels are on the run, Luke gets his a$$ handed to him while fighting, Han gets frozen, and C-3P0 gets ripped apart.

Compared to a full on Jedi knight Luke, who when given the choice turns down the dark side, beats the previous "master of lightsabers" Vader, turns a sith lord back to the light, Rescues the gang from the sarlac pit, Ewoks kicking Storm Trooper tail, etc...

don't get me wrong ESB is a great movie and is probably my second favorite but Return of the Jedi is the best Star Wars movie released to date.

mephistodesigns
one word: ewoks.

We could have had wookiees, but there weren't enough breakthroughs in effects. So what do we get?
Ewoks.
Mini-wookiees. Why couldn't we have 100 full wookiees rather than 200 mini-wookiees?

Not to mention the whole battle with Jabba that really had nothing to do with anything (i'm glad they got Han back and all but that whole storyline sorta feels like the Bruce Willis segment in Pulp Fiction-good, fun, well written, but not important in the grand scheme of things, 'sepcially since GL keeps harping on the Saga being Anakin's story). I'm gonna get it for this comment aren't I? I just crossed a line... But seriously, as far as being important to the Saga as a whole, Rotj doesn't matter until the last 45 minutes. And since I'm very interested in the overall story, ESB is still my fav movie.

Dirty Vader
ROTJ rules! Action, fun, sadness, best musical score: it has everything.

Lyn
Go Dirty Vader!! thumb up

Darth Revan
There's this guy in my local paper named Mr. Cranky. He does movie ratings based on how bad they are, instead of how good they are. He gives them ratings with bombs instead of stars. Soooooooooo.. Here's my "Mr Cranky" movie rating (Oh, and just to clarify, I don't really hate either movie. In fact, I think that they are two of the greatest acheivements of modern filmaking. I just like to make myself think about both sides of things.):
ESB sucked because of the really corny scene right before Han gets put into carbonite. And because of the... the.. well, I'll be damned.. I can't think of anything else.. That's a first..
ROTJ sucked because there seemed to be something wrong with Carrie Fisher's voice throughout the entire movie, which was culminating into the pinacle of her voice-messed up-ness at the very end, on Endor. The scene on Jabba's Sail barge was quite pointless. . I mean, why didn't she just take the whole slab of carbonite and unfreeze him somewhere else? That was really stupid on her part. Then, the lightsaber thing on the sail barge was really corny. There is a delay of about 5 seconds before Luke actually catches the lightsaber. Boba Fett is supposed to be a bounty hunter, not an idiot!! Luke would have got shot!! (not that he should have..) and then he goes around slashing wildly with his lightsaber and everyone is just STANDING THERE, WAITING TO GET CUT IN HALF!!!!!! The bridge scene on Endor is almost worse. I can no longer bear to watch it. The Ewoks are cool, but the battle of Endor is really, really dumb and put-together looking. The best part is where Luke is on the Death Star at the end and rejects the dark side. That was a cool scene. And where Anakin dies. Not that I wanted him to die, but *sniff* that was just beautiful man!!!
Sorry for bashing ROTJ so bad. It was a great movie. I find stuff like that in almost everything I watch.

Darth Jello
Jedi is kind of weak but has the potential to be second best (compared with my expectations for ep 3) if lucas does something about the ending when he finishes his changes for the ultimate edition dvds. forgive me, but for an end to an epic saga the ending to ROJ just plain sucks in its current form. look at the 4-6 dvd forum to see my dream version of it

Darth Revan
I agree, the storyline is good but the cinematics SUCK!!!!

Darth Bandon
Well I agree with you totally.

mephistodesigns
we all have our faults wink j/k

Darth Jello
lets put it this way, ESB is the better movie with ep 3 possibly ranking as the best movie when it comes out ROJ has the POTENTIAL to be the best movie depending on what Lucas decides to do with the archival edition. Again, its main problem is that it's anticlimactic

Dirty Vader
It always annoys me when people downgrade and criticise ROTJ which is for me the best star wars movie. I've always felt, especialy younger, that it contains the deepest drama I've ever experienced in a film.
The final three-way confrontation between Luke, Vader and Palapatine is what the whole star wars saga is all about.

The opening scene shows us a new death star in construction and a beautiful imperial vessel (sentinel shuttle) docking with it. We then learn that the emperor will be visiting the death star and that he is not as forgiving as vader is. This tells you that the emperor is even more evil than the dark lord of the sith.

We encounter a battle against the most vile gangster in the galaxy and the saving of han solo. There you see the knew weapon luke has constructed and the fighting skills he has gained during the time after ESB.

Yoda, the jedi master who has instructed luke dies after confirming that Vader is his father, leaving him on his own as the last "jedi" in the galaxy. Luke is now on his own and must confront vader, his own father.
Shortly after that, Obi-wan tells luke that leia is his sister.

The imperial raliement at the emperor's arrival and the imperial march soundtrack gives a great showing of the empire's might. All the tie fighters flying in formation and the wide variety of troops in linemake a great contrast. We also see in the flesh for the first time the emperor who reveals his plan to turn luke to his side.

Han after assuring he has the situation undr control makes a clumsy mistake and tips off the scout troopers The speeder bike chase is very exiting, especialy when luke brandishes his lightsaber and kills that last biker.

Vader, the darkest most feared villain actualy begins to gain our sympathies. The brief exchange of dialogue between father and son, at the imperail endor landing platform, each trying to persuade the other into joining his own side. There we learn that there is still good in Vader and after when Vader finaly drops the dark side and dies, it goes a lot deeper than it initialy sounds. This combined with the emperor effectively relieving Vader of command (your work here is finished my friend, go back to the command ship and await my orders)further reinforces our sympathies for Vader.

The Endor Battle which contained three different battles all had a different part to play and which would decide the fate of the galaxy. If the Empire had won, then the galaxy would have stayed under evil control and luke, the last jedi would have joined the dark side. This would without a doubt destroyed any hope for the galaxy.

_The forest battle which showed us the captured rebels who then managed to free themselves from the imperials thanks to the ewoks (which are less anoying than jar jar and padme) and turn tables against their captors. You see an ewok dying and other crawling up to him calling something like "mama" and then realising what has dawned on his friend or relative and crying onto him. I used to get very upset when I was a kid at that scene. On the bright side, the ewoks manage to destroy a few AT-STs with primative ways and chewie and two ewoks manage to hijack one of the walkers and manage to caose mayhem against their foe. R2-D2 gets shot and so does leia. This battle was very important because it would allow the rebel fleet to destroy the death star.

_The space battle which showed us the rebel fleet arriving at endor only to find that they had been trapped and then encountering hundreds of tie fighters and a gigantic fleet of star destroyers is the most brilliant space battle in the saga. When Lando and Wedge fly into the superstructure and destroy the main reactor and then have to escape before the the daeth star explodes was also great. Lets not forget Piett desperately giving orders and diving into the crew pit with the other imperial as the a-wing sacrifices itself and crushes into the executor and ultimately destroys it. And all those exploding fighters and capital ships makes it even more intense.

_The sabre duel between vader and luke and the emperor trying to bring luke to his side by discouraging him with his piercing words. Once Vader learns that he has a daughter, Luke gives him a challenging scream of hatred and makes vader fall back and cuts his hand off is one of the best scenes in the saga. Luke realising he has gone too far and looking at Vader's hand and then his brings back memories when the exact opposite happened on bespin. Luke then stands up and throws down his lightsaber, showing the emperor he will never turn to the dark side and the emperor's line "so be it jedi" reinforces the emperor's evil and power. You see that Luke was not much of importance to him and that it wouldnt affect his rule of the galaxy in any way.When the emperor then uses force lightning on luke, you discover how powerful he is and why vader obeyes him. Luke then begging for his father to intervene and save him and Vader trying to make his decision as the conflict between good and evil ensues into him makes the scene very dramatic. He then looks back and forth at his son and at the emperor and then grabs hold of the evil being who had used him as his puppet and throws him down that deep shaft, before all that blue smoke flows away and Vader falls on his knees, breathing in a way that tells you that he is going to die.

The final dialogue between luke and anakin is also beautiful, sad and dramatic at the same time. Luke takes off the mask of the evil dark lord of the sith that we have seen in the two previous movies. We can now see how the person under the mask looks like and we are shocked to see all those bruises, cuts and burns that cover his bald head. The music in this scene is great: a sad twist to the imperial march played with a low harp strain.

Luke then burning the pire on endor where his fathers armour is layed and him then standing in front of it and watching it with the camera slowly levitating towards the beautiful night sky where the starfighters are launching fireworks, still brings a tear to my eye.

The ewok celebration is a great ending (I prefered the original version of 77) which us anakin joining Obi-Wan and Yoda as one with the force.
Luke then joins the main rebel caracters where we see him, han, leia, chewie, lando, c-3po and r2 all together in the sam shot. I remember wanting to be there at that exact scene and I never wanted star wars to end there. That's why I love EU so much.

VengeanceGOD
*applauds* WELL put Vader! I was gonna post something, but you took any and all words I COULD say right out of my mouth.

Dirty Vader
Well I'm glad we share a common view wink

SilverFighter
I luv them both but ROTJ is my favorite in the Trilogy!!

mephistodesigns
i agree with what vader said, but that tends to be what happens at the end, you get all the answers and its really fun. But what about all the drama in Empire?

We learn that Luke must find some old jedi master that he has only the planet hes on.
He nearly dies in a frozen tundra and is attacked by some crazy sasquatch thing.
The rebels on Hoth get a crushing defeat from the AT-AT's. rebels are shown dying more and more with each minute. luke is almost crushed by an AT-AT while trying to grab the one piece of equipment that might save some lives.
He crashes on a completely alien world (unless its not "completely" foreign to him, but thats yet to be seen) and has to deal with some crazy little alien, who ends up being the master he's looking for. Who is, at this point, moderately disappointed in Lukes lack of patience.
Meanwhile, the Falcon gets hammered by some star destroyers and is being followed by Darth Vader himself, who the viewer is told wants that ship with all of his being. So we know hes not gonna let up.
We also first learn of Vader's plan to turn Luke and we wonder if he really means to give him to the Emperor, or if he is just buying time until he can think of something else.
We get to see the trials and tribulations of Lukes training. his failures and little triumphs. We hear of visions of his friends in pain.
The Falcon hides in a FREAKIN WORM to evade capture. Only to find out they may have been better off with the Imperial Navy as they barely slip through the beasts teeth. After piggy backing a star destroyer, they figure they can go to an old friend of Han's who might not be to happy to see them. Not to mention they are being hunted by the most feared and efficient bounty hunter in the galaxy: Boba Fett. They are tailed to cloud city, and we know the pain they will soon experience is coming.
At Cloud City there is betrayal, and the whole damn Empire waiting for them. then we learn they're simply bait for Luke.
they are tormented, interogated, bargained with, Lando loses more and more hold on the deal with each scene until finally realizing hes getting screwed almost as bad as the heroes.
Luke arrives only to be led into a trap we know is coming. After being told he's not ready to face Vader, we wonder if he'll come out alive, let alone victorious.
Han is frozen, and for several minutes we wonder if he won't be killed too. Leia and chewbacca are to be taken to Vader's ship, so now we have them to worry about as well.
then, during the fight, we get the baiting of Vader. his mind games with luke as we watch him basically push and toy with Luke. Lukes hand is cut off while the leia and Co. barely make it out alive.
Luke is then told that the head of the Imperial Navy, the apprentice to the Emperor, the most feared man in the galaxy, is his father. His whole world ripped apart, he lets himself fall to what could or could not be certain death. Vader even tempts luke to join him and they can end the corruption and the emperors rain.
Then we find out Leia is force sensitive as she hears luke and they narrowly rescue him from and antenna dangling miles above Bespin's surface. the rebels escape, their friend is flown off and will be difficult to track, they know his destination, but that will be the hardest part of all. luke must deal with the truth. and we are left with one of the best cliffhangers in the history of story telling.
ESB is one of the most stressful movies in history. You had a pretty good idea the rebels would win in ROJ, everything seemed to be going there way most of the movie. But in Empire, you knew there was a whole other movie. So all bets were still off as to who would live and who would die.

VengeanceGOD
Both movies are equally amazing. I just tend to like Jedi better because, well, the good guys win. wink

mephistodesigns
Me too, but for some sick reason, I really thought it was cool to see the bad guys win for once. confused

Ushgarak
Well, I have already posted in the past, at length, my criticisms of ROTJ. I am very confident it will forever remain the last accomplished of all the films for me.

Dirty Vader
Its the last accomplished for you because its the last episode of the star wars saga. And because you want more. If one day, there will be sequels to the saga, the last episode of that saga will be the least accomplished. I cant say that ESB is the least accomplished because there's another film after it (ROTJ) thats there to accomplish it.

As I said before, I didnt want it to end there and I wanted to know what happened after Jedi (Was it he end of the empire, what happens next) until I started reading EU. That's I like it as much as I do.

Dont gime me wrong, I love ESB too.

mephistodesigns
there are too many typos in there for me to construct any opinions on what the hell you just said. big grin confused laughing

Ushgarak
That is most certainly NOT why it is the least accomplished for me!

mephistodesigns
yeah, its because we saw an ewoks zipper! (the dead one that another ewok taps and then cries over)

mephistodesigns
that was a joke just so everyone know before I start hearing more crap about ewoks being ok characters.

mephistodesigns
we were supposed to have wookiees. what'd we get? midget wookiees! damn budgeting....

Dirty Vader
EWOKS! EWOKS! EWOKS! Come on people!!! Happy Dance Happy Dance

Mr Parker
I feel the same as you do Ushgarek.Its my least favorite of them all also.Where we probably differ is since Empire,I dont feel like a good star wars movie has been made.I wish Lucas had left it all alone after Jedi. mad Like I said,I also wish that somehow no more Star Wars movie had been made after Empire also. mad

Mr Parker
Right on Brother.

Mr Parker
accidental double post. sad

mephistodesigns
Parker, I totally agree with your quote there about spiderman

Mr Parker
really? you are my new best friend. smile
you might want to go to the superheros movie discussion panel and put in your thoughts on that movie thread of vengence gods,the one titled-spiderman movie sucked.

Julie
not me,,ROTJ is my fav of the old "classic" star wars movies....

Dirty Vader
Good on ya! smile

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.