Other sci-fi?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ushgarak
After seeing the slamming that ST: Insurrection got in the Movie forum, I couldn't help but feel sorry for ST. Sure, it can be pretty rubbish at times, but let's face it, if they made THAT much Star Wars then alot of SW would be crud as well. Perhaps we can be thankful that GL vetoed a full tv series... what with Ewoks and Droids and everything...

So, look. What DO other people think of all other sci-fi here? Are you StarWars fans alone when it comes to sci-fi? Does all opther sci-fi pale in comparision? Is StarWars just your favourite? Or is it just one thing among many?

I remember the Battlestar Galactica thread at the old place... what the heck is ging on with production there, anyway?

Speaking as an ST/Dr. Who/Blake's 7/Buffy/Angel/Ultraviolet/Babylon 5 fan (sorry, Finti...) I can speak on a whole range of stuff...

And as to whether Star Wars is my favourite... hum, tricky that... certainly makes damn good films...

ratcat
Well, during the wilderness years (83-96) I was a big Star Trek fan. I still watch it when I can, but I don't go out of my way to catch it any more.

I guess my favorite Sci-Fi/Adventure shows are, as I have mentioned before;

Buffy the Vampire Slayer - It's evolved well, and grown up as the main character has.

Angel - The spin off that has rapidly become bigger than it's parent.

Dark Angel - Really getting into this tale in a society gone bad.

Ushgarak
Voyager has NOT exactly been a shining beacon of quality lately. Let's hope the new series can re-vitalise it all.

Gundark
I was really into Next Generation when it very first started, about the first year. The movies suck. I love to watch the old series though...with the bad monsters and the styrofoam rocks. Cool. cool

ratcat
Scott Bakula of Quantum Leap fame has the lead role in the new Star Trek series, Star Trek: Enterprise

finti
You ought to be sorry for all of the listed series except for Ultraviolet which was very cool with a crappy ending though. ST so bad I can`t fully express it, Blakes 7 laughing my day away, Dr. Who should be MD crap, Buffy grown up?, vampires again Ultraviolet is better, Angel buffy in disguise, Babylon 5 oh my how low can one sink. Look out Titanic, Babylon 5 is on its way. big grin

I kind off liked Space and beyond and the three first seasons of X-files.

Ushgarak
You liked SPace Above and Beyond?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Well, thats put Finti's sci-fi credentials beyond doubt... irredemably sabotaged, sadly...

Ultraviolet's ending was very good, actually

ratcat
That was one sucky series. IMHO - Which I would not push on you of course...

phinney6
The new series is suppose to be like a precual to the original series with a different captain of the enterprize

Ushgarak
Star Trek is that, Phinney? Yes, that's right.

ratcat
YEs, not sure exactly how they fit it into the NCC 1708 timeline but it might be quite interesting to see a modern take on the original Enterprise.

Ushgarak
And First Contact with the Klingons, too... that's going to cause a lot of controversy...

phinney6
Did you guys like the original series better than Star trek I-VI the movies.

Ushgarak
It wasn't better than numbers II and VI.

ratcat
I'm pretty OK with Star Trek in all its forms, I like the concept, though I dop agree that in recent years they have gone downhill with Voyager.

I find it weird that TNG Seasons 1&2 seem to have aged worse than TOS.

Darth Pants
I've never gone for Sci Fi series myself, they always get too tacky. The characters in Star Trek never get their hands dirty, their uniforms are all neatly ironed in each episode, and when they do go on an away mission, they energise as the first sign of danger. I did like First Contact, it had good pace, action and some good humour in there.OK Ush, I'll confess, The Matrix was pretty good, objectively.

phinney6
My fav. star trek movie was number IV I thought it was wicked funny laughing out loud

Ushgarak
At LAST, I thought there were going to be no other Matrix fans here...

Yeah, what IS with the first two TNG series? You have Conspiracy in series one, and that's about it (criminally, still no follow up), and then you're stuck with Pulaski all the way through two...

ratcat
Matrix was cool. I watched it again yesterday and it's a fun piece.

Ushgarak
Woo-hoo!

Darth Pants
Yeah, but worthy of three Oscars? Probably not. It was an outrage that it won best special effects. Bullet Time's good, but not that good. Buy me enough cameras and I could do it in my living room (well, I couldn't, but the technique's simple), TPM had the truly amazing synthesis between actor and CG.

Ushgarak
It wasn't QUITE perfected in TPM, that wa the reason I think. If Ep. II does not win it there will be trobule...

ratcat
BUt wasn't the Matrix the first feature to use Bullet Time in that way? I may be wrong but I'm sure that's what they said in the "Making of..." feature.

Ushgarak
Yes, I think so.

ratcat
Probably why they got an Oscar then. It's as much about innovation as anything else.

Ushgarak
The Matrix shots were pretty perfect from many points of veiw.

ratcat
I've seen that kind of shot a number of time since but the Matrix is by far the best.

Ushgarak
Still, let's see what LOTR can do...

ratcat
I saw the posted in the cinema the other day, it looked quite swish.

Ushgarak
Swish hardly seems to cover it...

ratcat
Well, it's quite a simple poster. The face and hands with the ring, but it looks very nice.

Ushgarak
Just getting carried away, I guess...

finti
From tv to the big screen huh? Well I liked Starship Trooper."When I was younger so much younger than today." I saw movies like Battlestar Galactica and Star Crash. I liked the Galactica series, but Star Crash sucked big time. I bought BG on video some years ago and man is the flick kind of bad. I heard rumors of reviving the BG series, with todays technology that might be interessting.
I think the rumor was about the Appollo guy was in charge now and the cylons were back. Actually I belive it was RC who posted this info, I think it was him?

ratcat
Yes, it was in Starburst magazine about 12 months ago.

The idea was proposed by Richard Hatch (Apollo) in 1999. They produced a trailer and it did the rounds at conventions. Apparently it was quite slick, despite having been produced on a shoestring budget using Richard's credit cards....

Anyway, as of yet no studio would pick it up and there are loads of ranglings about copyrights and ownership, etc.

queeq
Bullet time was used before in video clips, for the Matrix it was the first time in a movie. So like most of the The Matrix, it's not VERY original.

I'm not into sci-fi because of it being sci-fi myself. I like good stories, whether it's in space or not. I used to watch ST and Blake's 7 when I was a kid. There wasn't much else to feed on sci-fi stuff then. Now I hardly ever watch any series. Films I like: 2001, Dune, SW, Planet of the Apes (looking forard to the new one), First Contact, Dark City, Escape from New York (if you count that as sci-fi that is) and a couple of others I can't think of right now.

Dim
I was suprised how good POTA looks..doesn't look like Tim Burton did it. AI's going to probably be really good too. Atleast 2 movies I'm gonna see this summer.

A couple more movies I liked..Mad Max and The Fifth Element.

finti
I forgott the tv version of Dune 6 hours long, more close to the books than Lynches film was. Yeah I lokk forward to POA.

ratcat
POTA looks like it will be awesome. Can't wait to go see that. We saw the trailer 1 at the front end of Bridget Jones and we were both blown away. I think if we could have got tickets there and then, we would have.

Ushgarak
But can POTA have a decent twist at the end this time aronud, eh?

ratcat
Who knows, go watch it and tell us. laughing out loud

Ushgarak
Ok, I'll just activate my magic future-film-o-scope...

James Earl Jones isn't it Ep. III? Damn!

ratcat
I meant in July when it comes out, actually it will probably be August of Septemeber over here. sad

Ushgarak
Then I'm guessing you're going to see for yourself rather than have me yapping on at you about it...

ratcat
Well yeah, but I thought I'd give you something useful to do....

Ushgarak
Oh, I ALWAYS have useful things to do...

ratcat
Yeah, I mean there's all that sitting at home and then the going to the loo. laughing out loud

Ushgarak
See? Vital.

ratcat
Your life is so full.... laughing out loud

Ushgarak
It IS, I don't know how I have time to post hee...

ratcat
Oh, but you manage to fit it in...

Ushgarak
Yeah, I'm very talented in time-management

ratcat
Mr. Minute Manager huh?

Ushgarak
I can manage individual seconds, mate.

Probably because I have so little else to do with them...

ratcat
And here's me wishing for 40 hours days and 9 day weeks...

Ushgarak
Well, I'm turning all this around soon, with any luck.

Would your extra big days mean longer working hours as well?

Gundark
Nine day weeks ? That could be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on your point of view.

ratcat
Well, as I'm already working 14 hours days at the moment, it would be nice to have some time to sleep.

queeq
Maybe you should spend less time here and more on your work. Then you could get the sleep you need. Self imposed sleep deprivation doesn't sound very wise to me. In the end, it gets you.

Ushgarak
See? All this stuff I don't have to worry about...

queeq
I'd almost say: if I could be so lucky.... but I won't.

Ushgarak
Some wonderful logic there...

queeq
Of course. laughing out loud

Ushgarak
Ah, behold the Master...

queeq
... and learn.

Ushgarak
I don't have the instinct...

queeq
Okay, well watch then. And enjoy the show. big grin

Ushgarak
Right-oh!

ratcat
If anyone wants to know about the current status of Battlestar Galactica, then visit BattlestarGalactica.Com

keokiswahine
is there a new show to watch? what's going on, guys.

*grabs bowl of buttered popcorn and pulls up a stool to plop down on* smokin'

queeq
No new show. Just the same ol', same ol'. laughing out loud

Gundark
Do you guys remember SPACE:1999 ?

keokiswahine
kinda yup, not alotta yup, but some yup. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Ushgarak
Yes, I do. Cool music!

ratcat
Yeah, that was a cool concept, I'd love to see that series brought up to date.

However, I think they'd have to rename it now....

Gundark
I always thought it was cool. What was the girl who could change into other things...Mya ?

ratcat
Maya, pronouced My-ya

Played by Catherine Schell

Edna_witch
Ooh gosh even I remember that! Moonbase alpha. Well I remember the repeats of course!

Ushgarak
Martin Landau very rarely looked better...

ratcat
Hmmmm, I dunno. His Geppetto was .... forgettable..

Ushgarak
What was the last film he did?

ratcat
I have no idea...

queeq
Loved him in Ed Wood.

ratcat
Bela Lugosi... Never saw it.

ratcat
Bela Lugosi... Never saw it.

queeq
Go and see it. We may differ on liking the film (I loved it) but Landau was totally outstanding and moving as well as the drug addicted Lugosi.

ratcat
I've seen a few clips of Landau in that film. Have to add it to my "films to watch in my bedsit" list.

queeq
Oh do. I bought my copy in the UK in fact. Doubt that I could get it here without Amazon or something.

Ushgarak
Hey, I know what you mean now! Yeah, that film was surprisingly entertaining...

queeq
I loved it and Depp was superb as he is in most cases.

ratcat
I've seen it in the rental store.

Ushgarak
I mean, I had NO idea what I had started watching at first...

ratcat
Well that's a Thumbs up from you and a thumbs up from him. Thank you Siskel and Ebert......

Ushgarak
I'm more a Johnathon Ross

ratcat
You are NO Jonathon Woss

Ushgarak
I wesent that.

ratcat
Nah, sorry, not quite...

Ushgarak
Ill keep practicing...

ratcat
Yeah, you fo that.... big grin

Ushgarak
More of my fun-filled life.

ratcat
Oh, I can hardly wait....

queeq
Ush didn't even see it.

ratcat
But we're waaaayyyyyyyy beyond that now...

queeq
I wasn't.

ratcat
Well, you should keep up then.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.