Best Horror Book

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

h0ck3yh0rr0r
ANyone ever read a good horror book? I liked Pet Cemetary, The Hannibal Lecter BOoks (REd dragon, Silence of the Lambs) and a few more.

pablo007
I really liked Cujo

BackFire349
i like Dean Koontz books

ragesRemorse
if you can find it, its a great horror book ,about demons in caves and splunkers its r eally good is titled HELL-OWEEEN by david robbins, but the most horrific book was probably IT , by SK

Lord_Andres
I read Jaws, it's greatsmile

lil bitchiness
Stepehn King books are amazing...he is the master of horror.

Lord_Andres
ta he's great but his not alone in being the master, John Carpender is just as goodsmile

DeNiro
i reead sum of dreamcatcher i read a lil bit of the book by stephin king fire but ne other books that r horror i never eally got into cause i liek horror movie i have also read all of the babysitter books the hitchiker and sum others but i really didnt find ne of them remotly scary

grymlock
talking about horror for sure stephen king... but i read a lot of fantasy novel like david edding, robert jordan, j r r tokien etc..
cheers mate!! beer

lil bitchiness
yeh yeh, i agree grymlock!!! big grin david edding....hes cool...well the books are, havent read many, but what i did it was good...!

ragesRemorse
if you want a truly horrifying book, about holocaust, and being the last person alive but your a vampire, check out "I am" its horrifyingly addictive, but if its hautend houses on a pshychological level you like you would be a pansy if you never read "the house of leaves"

jimbo25
I can't just give you one book; Stephen King's short stories are truly frightening. If you have never read Nightshift or Skeleton Crew(to name a couple) then you do NOT know what you are missing. The most terrifying author I have ever read is H.P. Lovecraft. The whole Cthulhu mythos is great reading, including many stories by other authors. I also recommend HPL's short story Pickman's Model.

BackFire
I've read a few Dean Koontz books. They are all good.

SaTsuJiN
I liked tick tock by dean koontz. He's good at building suspense or maintaining ambience. Cant say I've read any stephen king, I've only seen the movies hehe :/

slayer
I thought the Dead Zone was good.

chico23
I agree with Jimbo my favorite horror reads are Stephen King's short stories. I used to get a horror magazine when i was little and it would have short horror stories in it from really good writers like Stephen King. There was a story from Stephen King in there called "the finger" I have looked fo that story everywhere but I never have found it. I also like some Anne Rice books like The Witching Hour.

Curl_Up&Dye
Most anything by Stephen King is amazingly scary.

Carrie was and still is my favorite Stephen King book.

NEVER EVER READ "Christine" by Stephen King...both the book and the movie sucked beyond repair.

Espantada20
Stephen King is great.Anything written by him any horror fan is bound to enjoy.Rosemary's Baby is a good one.There's a lot.But when I was younger,please dont make fun of me,I used to read R.L. Stine and Christopher Pike.The lame teenage thriller's.I liked em them not now so dont judge me

Tired Hiker
If you want to read a Kick Ass story by Steven King, look for a book with 4 short stories by Richard Bachman. That was King's sue-do name back in his early days. I can't remember the name of the book, maybe Bachman Chronicles? Anyway, King wrote The Running Man, you know, the Schwarzenegger flick? Anyway, the book is so much better and I can't stress the 'so', so much better than the movie. I will spoil it for you if you want.

The book ends with Ben Richards juggling his guts in his hands while flying a 747 he hijacked into the office of Damian Killian who happened to watch the plane come right at him from his window with a view. The last thing he saw was the pilot of the plane, Richards, giving him the finger right before the plane collided into the skyscraper exploding and killing them both.

tabby999
i recon the book that was called "Surviver" can remeber who it was written by but it was good

Curl_Up&Dye
LoL. Don't worry Espantada...When I was younger I used to read those books too. Looking back, RL Stine books were pretty cheesy, but I could still read a Christopher Pike book now, if I hadn't read it already.
thumb up geek thumb up geek power! woop woop! lol

julibug
SK books are good. The movies never do them justice.

Espantada20
Representin' Rl Stine and Christopher Pike geeks to the fullest.hee hee hee.I think Anne Rice is pretty good too.I used to have a thing with vampires.I get off on a lot of horror books.For some reason they make me horny.Please don't ban me for that one,but it's true.Just mention Stephen King and I'm yours.hee hee hee

h0ck3yh0rr0r
lol

I never liked Ann Rices Queen of the Damned. It wasn't boring but it wasn't interesting.

Espantada20
I liked The Witching Hour,Lasher(I think),The Vampire Lestat,Interview with the Vampire.Queen of the Damned as a movie stank.Memnoch the DEvil is good too.Hey HockeyHorror....you didn't mention Stephen King.............I could have been yours.

Mtrav
Ever heard of Necronomicon Xmortis

ragesRemorse
Clive barker has to easily be the best horror writer. His series "books of blood" are spectacular. .They have a way to get under your skin. The best horror book probably goes to one of stephen kings though. Though his books are slow they build up with great anticipation and description.

I just finished the House of leaves, anyone read that? it was a great haunted house book. It has alot of innovative way of putting the reader in the story. It uses stunts like you turn the page and the page will be upside down, or there will be several pages with just a single giant letter. You keep turning untill it spells the word. Some times when you turn the page to read on. It turns out it is a page from the end of the book and you have no idea what is going on. The person in the story says, "you ever get the feeling your life is going like your reading a book, and you turn the page and you skip to the end?" Its like the characters are talking to you. It's great you have to turn to different pages sometimes to find out which page you need to continue on. Theres alot of hidden messages you find if you try. It's reel disturbing aswell. Thats probably my favorite recent horror book and easily the most innovative. HOUSE OF LEAVES

heatherfeather7
Stephen King is usually my number one pick. Some of his books are scarier than others. Pet Semetary usually creeps me out (book or movie). John Saul is also good with horror (Suffer the Children in particular). As far as Dean Koontz goes the best one I've read by him so far is The Watcher. Robin Cook also has a good one about the Salem Witch Trials called Acceptable Risk. I have also read all three of the Mayfair Witch books by Anne Rice: The Witching Hour, Lasher, and Taltos and all of them are good also.

heatherfeather7
Sorry, I read so many horror novels I have a hard time picking one exact favorite.=)

Impediment
I cant believe that none of y'all even mentioned the ORIGINAL grandmaster of horror, Richard Matheson. Even Stephen King is quoted saying that "The author who inspired me most as a writer was Richard Matheson." Matheson wrote the majority of his novels and countless short stories in the 1950's and 60's, ranging from absolute horror to sci-fi. His most famous stories are one you may love, but not realize it like "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet". Remember that one? About the man on the airplane who sees the "gremlin" on the wing? William Shatber and John Lithgow both acted in these stories on the Twilight Zone series and the movie. He also wrote the greatest haunted house story ever, Hell House. If you love vampire stories read "I am legend" and dont forget "The Shrinking Man" either. Ever watched the movies "What dreams may come" or "Somewhere in Time"? Although they are romance novels, they are superbly written by Matheson. But, bar none, if you want a great read and a frightening story I HIGHLY recommend you pick up a Richard matheson book. You wont be disappointed.

Impediment
I also forgot to add Matheson's uber-spooky ghost story "A Stir of Echoes". Great movie adaptation, too.

Pandemoniac
Originally posted by chico
I agree with Jimbo my favorite horror reads are Stephen King's short stories. I used to get a horror magazine when i was little and it would have short horror stories in it from really good writers like Stephen King. There was a story from Stephen King in there called "the finger" I have looked fo that story everywhere but I never have found it. I also like some Anne Rice books like The Witching Hour.

'The Moving Finger' story appears in Nightmares & Dreamscapes, one of Kings short story collections. ISBN 0-451-18023-2

b-dan
stephen king but my fave stephen king book is IT

beta-wolf_101
I think the best horror book I've read so far is Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris

Whirlysplatt
Weaveworld by Clive Barker or The Trickster by Muriel Grey

Jason_Krueger
Originally posted by Pandemoniac
'The Moving Finger' story appears in Nightmares & Dreamscapes, one of Kings short story collections. ISBN 0-451-18023-2

That is an awsome short story I remember it adapted on a series that use to be on SCiFi channel i think it was called "Monsters" ......also on Nightmares & Dreamscapes is "Chattery Teeth" .....disturbing, truely awsome short story for those of you who havent read it DO!

doomsday49
intensity by dean koontz. awesome story. It was ripped and raped by cinema which later came to be known as haute tension or high tension in america. Though koontz never got the obvious credit.

juan carlos

FistOfThe North
Books of Blood by Cleive Barker: The creator of Hellraiser

horrorshow2012
I admit I own a copy of "Christine" on DVD, but the book was incredibly better (and) scarier, well creepier to say the least.

Books I recommend:

"the Stuff of Nightmares" (Malorie Blackman)

"the Bachman Books: four early novels by Stephen King" (Stephen King)

the "Scary Stories to tell in the Dark" trilogy (more for kids, but some are just plain scary)

I will try to think of some more.

darren shan fan
I haven't read many horror books. But I liked The Saga Of Darren Shan. Can anybody recommend me some scary novels.

JediRouge
I Am Legend, read it when I was about twelve... boy was it good.

COG Veteran
Crescent, by Phil Rossi. Frickin wish he had made an expanded universe off of that book.

Toby831
The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, by Stephen King (there are a great many books I could suggest by King, but for someone starting out in horror, this would be my best suggestion! It's short, fast-paced, stressful...and yes, scary. It scared me, chilled me. If you have any fears of the woods, of being lost, this book is a MUST for you! Even if not, it's still a scary, incredible book!)

COG Veteran
Mountains of madness, and dunwitch horror are classics. Hats off to H.P. Lovecraft.

the ninjak
Originally posted by Espantada20
Stephen King is great.Anything written by him any horror fan is bound to enjoy.Rosemary's Baby is a good one.There's a lot.But when I was younger,please dont make fun of me,I used to read R.L. Stine and Christopher Pike.The lame teenage thriller's.I liked em them not now so dont judge me

Heh. I loved those R.L. Stine books back in the day.

Paul Jennings wrote some good ones as well.

He wrote a book called The Naked Ghost, Burp! and Blue Jam.

Blue Jam always stayed with me, it was morbid as hell.
A story about a shop owner in a dying opal mining town who is approached by a woman who sells him a fruit that makes anyone who eats it become instantly addicted. He makes jam out of it and pandemonium erupts.

only_heather
Stephen King's "It" has always been my favorite scary book... I freaking hate clowns now because of that movie

LeonBuco666
Any stephen king book really.

P-Geyser
I agree about Stephen King. I have a book of his called four seasons. With different stories including the shawshank redemption.

Though one story that gave me chills, was The Body. The movie Stand By Me was based off this story. It was chilling in the fact that four boys in Maine, track deep into the woods to find the body of a boy who was mangled by a train.

The chilling part is when they find the body, and all of the shit that circles around it, and the detail the narrator gives on the events of his twelve year old self going through the ordeal with his friends back in 1960.

Great story.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.