What's up with all the epic movies

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

pablo007
I mean seriously there's lots of them coming:

-The Passion
-Troy
-Alexander the Great (Working title by the way)
-Gladiator 2
-Hannibal (The commander not Lecter)

ragesRemorse
i dont know man, but epics are usuaslly cool but, yeah there always overdone though. its just a way for hollly wood to get richer i hope though that the next indiana jones movie wont be a movie to tarnish the series

BackFire349
gladiator 2 laughing out loud

ragesRemorse
yeah gladiator go MAD !!!!! thats cool man

BackFire349
that is so stupid, gladiator 2, HAHAHAHA!!!

lil bitchiness
Why is it stupid? There were many MANY gladiators, not just Maximus...
whats stupid about it blink This one has a potential of being better than the first...

I dont know whats with the epic movies...Gee, people in holywood get hold of one type of genre and then they make 100 movies about it! If you remember the ''teen movies'' era, then the ''teen horrors'' I know what you did last summer 1/2, Urban Legend....etc..
Its gonna be the same with epics....

ragesRemorse
everything was done in gladiator. , now i wouldnt mind seeing a man runnin down the roman streets slaying people to there deaths in the name of gladatoria , i loved the first gladiator because im into those times and this is a movie for all us roman fans but there is no need or call for a second. Asecond gladiator would destroy the first movies presence

lil bitchiness
hmmm....well they cant exactly bring the old chatacters back. I was thinking more along the lines of the real gladiator type film, and just call it Gladiator two...blink
They better not try to do anything too historical because the last Gladiator was so historicly inccorect it was untrue...they just took characters from history and made up a story about them...blink

ragesRemorse
yeah but thats the magic of holly wood, if you want realism, read a history book. nothing in this world is pure except the grreeks and the indians. It made for a great underdog movie, sort of like rocky, when your down on your luck and everything gets taken away from you , its never to late to become the greatest all over agian. thats the general message everyone took away from the movie, not history

buffymitch
Nobody knows how Gladiator 2 will look. That won't even be the title. MAximusm can't come altough there was something metioned that the romans believed that the dead can come back to life. It might even be a prequel. It was also said that this time around they would not even focus on the gladiators. They will focus on the roman life style and politics atc etc. there is one character you canexpect to return and that is lucius. the only heir to the throne.

The deal with epics is that most of the time they have a story to tell and most of the time something historic and there are a lot of people eho like that. i personaly would rather watch a epic than some meaningles movie.

lil bitchiness
ragesREmorse>And thats fine....when you are doing a film with that message or whatever, but you DO NOT put Marcus Euralius, the most famus philosopher and emperror of Rome and put him in a random story!!!
At the end of Gladiator it said that from now on as a wish of Marcus Euralius the Rome will be republic....eh? Rome was not a republic after Marcus Euralius or a republic ever again for that matter.....stuff like that are not insagnifficant detail.....
If they were already gonna do a story like Gladiator, why mention the most famous philosopher and empereor of rome in a story that never happened?!

ragesRemorse
its just like king arthur and the knights of the round table, its a nice fairy tale, mixed with real barabric like roman gladiator matches. just a movie to be entertained by and inspired. which it did with great action and dialogue that sparked the mind to pay attention

lil bitchiness
i hate when ppl in hollywood do that!!!!!!!!! mad
Same with From Hell and Jack the Ripper....oooooh god!!!! The wrongness of it all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kes
I think the problem with Gladiators lack of factual accuracy was that the pages were written and shot the same day. The movie is basically patches.

ragesRemorse
why dont you just just appreciate the movie for what it is. a take on the writers own perspective of what happend. they still have to poduce an enetertaining movie that will gross money because they are money hungary, but just enjoy them. dont read to much into them . there making them for you the fans. and when younger writers become the screen writers of movies today maybe things will change but now this is what we got so try and appreciate style of these certain movies that are released because they wont be around much longer

ragesRemorse
and thing will get more out of hand and the only movies youll have at all will be XXX, and swat like movies

Kes
I kinda liked Gladiator...a bit boring but an ok movie.
Problem was Russell turned star and fired the original writer so Gladiator went a bit of track.

CandyKoRn
I'm looking forward to Troy.

For obvious reasons.. happy

pablo007
Gladiator rocked, it's one of my favorite movies.

lil bitchiness
I liked Gladiator, but i didnt like the lack of accuracy! In anycase, it did potray Gladiators somewhat real....and Russel Crowe was good in this...i have to admit..
Kes, are you serious about writing the pages on the day? That doesnt seem right....its impossible to that..they must have had a script before tey started! blink

ragesRemorse
Good movies are to come dont worry. The intellectual breed is on the horizon of acurate potrayel of movies and history as one.

lil bitchiness
big grin hope so! You know ive been thinking about what you've said about how the hollywood potrays stuff, and if you out of luck the stuff can turn arround....
WEll i think for this reason, Trojan War the movie may not work blink i cant wait to see that anyway! big grin

Lord_Andres
ya it's one of mine too, hellI just love the musicsmile

Kes
No I saw a documentary cant remember about what exactly but the writer said so himself.
The director also said that the original writer had been fired by Russel Crowe because he didnt like him and the new writer wrote stuff that was shot the same day. Sometimes he had to write them again because Russel didnt like what he read.
Russel didnt like that speech he has when he shows his real face...but they didnt have time to re-write it so Crowe said something like:" This is crap but I'm the best actor in the world so I'm going to make it sound great!"
Man is full of himself.

ragesRemorse
yeah just a little bit. i dont know though i like the bad boy type movie actors it seems there wrapped up in there own world, they cant see what real life is. So every movie you see with theese people in them there actually believeing their the role there acting, and its fun to watch sometimes. ONe day long ago these actors were nothing without us the fans .

Kes
I like bad boys or bad girls but not the type that think they are the best or better then others.
I like more Angelina type bad girls/boys.

ragesRemorse
yeah i know what you mean, and im the same way. Im just trying to give ol russel crowe the shadow of the doubt because no one seems to like him anymore other than the critics.

Kes
lol smile Maybe if he lost some weight laughing out loud

ragesRemorse
yeah he could do with a shave aswell

BackFire349
gladiator was so bad. it just combined the worst aspects of braveheart and sparticus and mixed them together, then threw in an over rated actor. a sequel wouldnt even make sense because he is dead.

And if you think about it, gladiator is basically remake/sequel to sparticus, they both have the same exact premise.

ragesRemorse
well if you say that, then you can say every movie has the same exact premise, theres only twelve possible genres of writing, they all borrow from one another. maybe gladiator was used as inspiration. It still pulled off a movie of its own. A man with everything, Power, Glory, knowledge, Nobility, passion, respect,heart, and faith. on top of a twenty year service in the roman army, he was facing a place amongst the greats with ceaser. plus he had a wife and child he loved, then suddenly it was all taken away from him, so why did he fight, for the will of life, for revenge. the movie is about vengeance and cleansing your soul more than anything else,. So if you want to compare this to movies or books it more of a premise along the lines of "the counte of monte cristo" than anything else. it took nothing from sparticus but inspiration.

BackFire349
You are being overly literal. I didnt mean they had a vague similarity, i meant they have the exact same story.

A gladiator who rises up from slavery to over throw a king (this is what it steals from sparticus)

A man going after the king who is responsible for killing his love (stolen from braveheart)

The obvious similarities are too great to deny.

ragesRemorse
you say stolen, i say coincidental, it happens amongst movies. or maybe your reading to much into it, or maybe im not reeading enough into it, eigther way its a great in my heart and in my heart it'll stay

CandyKoRn
or some movies are so great, they want it..

ragesRemorse
no they achieve it. and it has.

BackFire349
its full of cliches, that is not a good thing.

it is NOT coincidental, this is wishful thinking at its worse. It was indeed taken, call it what you will, borrowed, inspired, whatever you want, it was stolen, simple as that. The movie was nothing special and does not deserve its praise.

Ebert said it best, "its just another movie about gladiators'

pablo007
It's about another group of Gladiators.

ragesRemorse
ebert...LOL he doesnt appreciate good movies. only movie's that he percieves as good. everything is garbage. This movie is not stolen i think now maybe people are just looking for too many wrong things with this movie because it did so well and is so great. your using harsh words such as stolen then we need a little more evidence than speculation, or over cross analyzing. Eigther way im always up for a challenging debate when movies clash. if i can be proven theres just not again, cross-over-analyzation

BackFire349
ebert likes many great movies, he is the only big name critic that still has any credibility in my eyes, for he does not simply comply with what other people percieve as good movies, he has no problem saying that a movie tha tmany people mistake as good is actually bad, and he gives many good and truthful reasons.

Again, teh movie was stolen, it is factual. same story exactly, not vaguely at all.

ragesRemorse
more perceptions of simple mided point of views. this is still an original movie made with the inspiration of the gladiators past. acknowledgments and point of veiws die hard

BackFire349
How is it original? Everything in it had been done before, that is the exact oposite of originality.

ragesRemorse
the gladiator movies have been done before, but it was an original story to th table. this has to stop now though. im gonna like it no matter what and you dont, and i respect that. I dont know how we got this far but gladiators with swords are always fun to watch fighting tigers and other gladiators

BackFire349
You can like it, i have no problem with that.... but you are saying something that simply is not true in it being original.... the story, like i said, is right out of sparticus.

A gladiator rising up from slavery to snag an army and over throw a king. That is the story of gladiator, correct? it is also the story for sparticus.

What im saying is that the similarities are far deeper then simply being in teh same genre.

Kes
Snag an army?Is that like take control of an army?
If so he doesnt do that. He faces the emperor (not king) all by himself.
The original story didnt have a love story...it was just suppose to be him disgraced and getting his honor back but the new writer brought that on.
I think Crowe was good in this movie but not Oscar good. He was way better in the Insider.

fini
hmmmmmmm someone rename the thread..........."galdiator 2"
i seeeeeeee no reason why they should make a sequel.........why oh why are they making second movies from a good first one............cant they use their stupid focking brains and come up with something original............FFS

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.