Fav Philosopher?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

h0ck3yh0rr0r
Does anyone here have a favorite Philosopher? or does anyone here like Philosophy?
My fav philosopher would be Baron de Montesquieu.

silver_tears
i enjoy philoshophy somewhat big grin

h0ck3yh0rr0r
smile

DeNiro
my favorite philsophy is u r born u live u die some wear in between u havea 15 minutes of fame i like to think of it as ur born ur have ur fame then u day cause if u dont try to do something gret all the time then whats the point of being here and what have u done to help out the world u know i dont know i kinda like that

h0ck3yh0rr0r
lol birth growth development decrease death
stages of life.

DeNiro
sex is sumwere in there oo yeah everywere big grin

h0ck3yh0rr0r
lol

BackFire349
tom leykis.

Captain REX
I wouldn't know about such stuff...

h0ck3yh0rr0r
anyone else?

Another_Smithy
Zhuge Liang for me!

Captain REX
*repeats sentence previously spoken by self*

must_kill_Santa
i am very philisophical in lessons so my teachers say

Captain REX
I usually say "philisophical" wrong...

Another_Smithy
Here Rex, its a little article about Zhuge Liang.

http://www.kongming.net/novel/kma/zhugeliang.php

Ushgarak
So long as no-one tries to mix Hulme and Kierkagaard like Ghost does in EtM...

must_kill_Santa
so does my friend like metamorphisis(sorry bout the spelling)

Captain REX
Metamorphosis, btw. stick out tongue Couldn't resist...I am very gramatically correct, except for "occassionally." I never spell it right...

Zhuge Liang is interesting, Smithy. Lack of daughters or women at all, for that matter...

must_kill_Santa
wow i was colser then i thought

Captain REX
laughing out loud You aren't THAT dumb, MKS... stick out tongue

must_kill_Santa
well im only 14 and a very bad speller

Captain REX
I'm 15 and I'm in advanced literature classes...

diegocala
you go boy!

must_kill_Santa
nice im in a stupid all girls grammar skool

Captain REX
Thanks Diego! smile

Weird school. I think they shouldn't make schools like that...

h0ck3yh0rr0r
anyone go to private school?

badkittykitty
here hocky this is from history of the world.........

Dole Office Clerk: Occupation?
Comicus: Stand up philosopher.
Dole Office Clerk: What?
Comicus: Stand up philosopher. I coalesce the vapors of human existence into a viable and meaningful comprehension.
Dole Office Clerk: Oh, a BULLSHIT artist!

h0ck3yh0rr0r
lol smile

Socrates is my fav and i'm gonna take philosophy as my major in college, i wanna make it a career. The only belief i truelly hold dear is that "there is no truth"-thanks Socrates!

i also am a fan of Plato...not really aristotle though

h0ck3yh0rr0r
113 officially kicks ASS. i also a fan of Plato. Aristotle was his student but i never really liked Aristotle. Alexandre the Great was also a philosopher but concentraded too much on conquering lands and spreading hellenism. Hellenism means to spread culture. I think it comes from greek word Hellas.

Hellenism was the culture of the ancient Greek which was depicted through various arts(mainly statues). Alexander actually started to become hated by the Greeks after he started to abandon Hellenism and adopt cultures and traditions from the Persian Empire after conquering that.
Yeah i don't like how Aristotle believed that we can trust our senses, Plato said that we couldn't trust our senses to understand the world around us(can't be sure of anything)-and he gets that type of thinking from Socrates(his teacher) who believed that their is no ultimate truth, but rather many truths.

h0ck3yh0rr0r
113....ur smart man. y do you make soo many dumb threads lol smile gj i like talking to intellectual people. or did you get that all off a website?

haha, i'm usually "dumb" on this site cause it's fun to be after constantly debating and shit with people in normal life.

and no i didn't get it off a website, i started reading up on philosophy on my own a few years ago, and then got into some more of it in ancient history class last year.

Plus sometimes it's just not fun debating after a while because people don't accept your beliefs. I tried that here and in other places and just got bashed.

h0ck3yh0rr0r
i usually win in debates but there are some good competitions here. Like RR. He knows his philosophy.

dilvie
Lau Tze

h0ck3yh0rr0r
I also think VOltair is an excellent philosopher. Even though most of his books have been banned, but i have read Candide. Excellent book in my opinion. Voltair was a man that would walk up to you, insult you and you would never know. smile

yeah it seems like he knows a lot, but i dunno i haven't realy gotten into any debates with him.

I also usually "win" debates, my points are usually unchallengable.

h0ck3yh0rr0r
hmmmm i would like to see Plato vs Horace (Qintus Flaccus) lol smile

hey can someone help me find some good websites on the life of Plato. smile plz. i want to learn more about him

dunno, a few years back when i was in a huge Atlantis frenzy i found a few websites which talked about PLato, but i don't think many of those websites would be very um..."official" ..just google search "plato" and you should come up with hundreds. Also try history websites.

h0ck3yh0rr0r
thank you. if anyone has any websites plz do help. need info on Plato

no prob hock cool

h0ck3yh0rr0r
smile

h0ck3yh0rr0r
philosophy is great smile

ragesRemorse
i've done alot of independant research on philosophy. The most renowned,and inspirational are of course the greeks.Anything on Socrates is a gaurenteed mind opening read. Aristotle is amazing with his beliefs that go against logic, and also like all the other greats. He possesed a mind that existed in a realm only a select few even ever glimpse.

My favorite philosophers come direct from ancient China. Asian philosophers and minds have always been a step above and in front of any others. Beliefs that were being hinted to during 800 b.c in greece were already acknowledged a generation earlier in asia. I'm not saying that socrates or plato, or aristotle have not given us great knowledge. They have realized things that no other could or will ever achieve. However asian philosophers push the boundaries of the mind, body and spirit like no other. Laozi was who pulled me twords chinese philosophy. The greatest realization in my opinion in all of philosophy is the theory of the yin and yang.

ragesRemorse
i also like some of Bruce lee's writings with the connection of the spirit and body

h0ck3yh0rr0r
the theory of the yin and yang is very deep and interesting to learn. we didn't really learn much about the yin and yang but i think i would do some individual research after i get some more info on Plato. RR if u have any website on Plato plz do tell me smile

ragesRemorse
yeah i havent researched to much on the yin and yang, it has quite a lengthy past.

what kind of site are you looking for on plato ? imformation on his history or on his writings? I have a site i used to research him a while ago. I'ts not the best, but it does give a broad description on his life and also has links to other sites on info about him. I dont know how to post websites. i'll try this www.rocky.edu/~ehrichd/plato.html

ragesRemorse
info starts at the bottom of the page

h0ck3yh0rr0r
thx RR, great website. i just need like a timeline of his life. his accomplishments. and some other interesting info. but thx its a great website smile

ragesRemorse
NP, hope you find what your lookin for

KidRock
socrates

h0ck3yh0rr0r
hmmmm here's a great question for everyone. Who do you think is the greatest philosopher of all time? hard question in my opinion.

socrates, just cause my beliefs are eerie similar to what he stated(but i had my beliefs before i even knew of him)...changed my life.

h0ck3yh0rr0r
hmmm good choice. damn its hard to choose, there are soo many great ones check it, Voltaire, Locke, Hobbes, Montesquiue, Horace, Plato, Aristotle, Epicurus, Diderot, Rousseau and more...

i like how Epicurus said that the pleasure of the human body is the stomach smile

ragesRemorse
jesus christ smile

ragesRemorse
i know many people would say socrates however i believe the student surpassed the teacher in this case. Plato was the first person to write in a dialogue manner. I dont know who the best would be, i dont even know how you would rate them. Philosophy is different perceptions. I guess you have to look at there achievments.

yeah philosophy is different perceptions and so is everything else, that's what Socrates realized and that's why i chose him smile
I don't think Plato "surpassed" Socrates, he just wrote all his work down(along with Socrates' works) i just think that Socrates made the most significant "discovery"(if you want to call it that). I mean unlike a lot of other philosophy's his can be applied to every single thing...ever...And i think even in this modern world his statements are highly ignored and overlooked

ragesRemorse
i diddnt mean that plato had surpassed socretes in knowledge, only in achievments.

oh ok, word...

i'm out, c ya all tomorrow night on FRIDAY WOOHOO 3 day weekend baby! goodnight

h0ck3yh0rr0r
its getting late...im going to sleep soon.

ChinaNiki
Charlotte Perkins Gillman, Simone de Beauvoir, Mary Wollstonecraft

h0ck3yh0rr0r
Yes Mary Wollstonecraft was great philosopher. I dont know much about Simone de Beauvoir but when i have time ill reaserch.

Tied Hiker
My favorite Native American philosopher is Chief Fullabull.

h0ck3yh0rr0r
lol

h0ck3yh0rr0r
what do you guyz think about Voltaire? Has anyone read Candide?

ChinaNiki
haven't read much Voltaire. What little I remember about him had something to do with him having an affair with a French scientist or mathmatician

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.