Led Zeppelin and Tolkien

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

muse5
Last year in English class we studied different songs and i found that rock group (the best of the best) Led Zeppelin drew alot of inspiration from Tolkien... did anyone know that? it's awesome music, check it outhttp://www.killermovies.com/forums/images/moresmilies/band.gif

Exa
Jah I found this some days ago

There is even a style of musik called "Tolkien Metal" and "Tolkien Rock".

muse5
really? what are some of the bands in that category... i'm a music freak

fini
lol, who would thunk it................even musicians read the book.............and loved it

Exa
Cirith Gorgor, Morgoth, Battlemail fx

Others who made Tolkien music...
Blind Guardian,Enya, Bo Hansson, Scheol, Thusian, Rush, Styx, Leonard Nimoy, Summoning, Nightwish, Bob Catley

(btw, Robert Plant from Led Zeppelin even called his dog "Strider"

billyboyd4ever
theres a cool song called "the battle of evermore" by led zepplin about pelannor fields

muse5
dude, i love that song... i wrote it on the back of one of my notebooks in school... i had known about the strider thing, led zep rocks, peter jackson should use that song in rotk... it would be soooo cool

Exa

billyboyd4ever
yea there are a ton of songs by a ton of bands, buto ne of the most significant are led zeppilin...who totally rock!!!!

muse5
led zep rocks my world... one of my friends had never heard stairway to heaven... i made her listen to it over and over and over in the car one day... she wanted to kill me

davis_ut
Just for you guys info. Stairway to Heaven has references to LoTR. also the songs Ramble On, Over the Hills and Far Away, Misty Mountain Hop and others have relations to LoTR. Most of those actually have names like Mordor, Ringwraiths, Gollum in the text if u look them up. and Stairway to Heaven. just listen to it. It says a lady whos sure all that glitters is gold. who looks to the west. it's galadriel leaving middle earth. just thought i'd let u know bout those references and songs

turin
kind of funny your talking about this, just the other day i added to my sig one of the versus from ramble on. no body beleives me when i tell them led zeplin sung about tolkiens stuff.

Exa
Some days ago i listened to some of the songs they're pretty cool

muse5
i love led zep... i just realized the other day that stairway had lotr references... i was proud of my self... rings of smoke through the trees... that's also a reference

pip-foot
can you post the lyrics to some of these songs. I've never heard of them before stick out tongue

Discos
whoa, I am a metal head and had no idea of this, I am an ultimate fan of ye-olde Zeppelin

Discos - Tolkien metal! yaarrr!

White Lady
i read this thread and looked up some lyrics was this aboutr the love aragorn had for arwen:-

Tangerine Lyrics

Measuring a summer's day,
I only finds it slips away to grey,
The hours, they bring me pain.

*Tangerine, Tangerine,
Living reflection from a dream;
I was her love, she was my queen,
And now a thousand years between.

Thinking how it used to be,
Does she still remember times like these?
To think of us again?
And I do.

White Lady
The battle of evermore Lyrics
"The" Queen of Light took her plow, And then she turned to go,
The Prince of Peace embraced the gloom, And walked the night alone.
Oh, dance in the dark of night, Sing to the morning light.
The dark Lord rides in force tonight, And time will tell us all.
Oh, throw down your plow and hoe, Rest not to lock your homes.
Side by side we wait the might of the darkest of them all.
Oohh
I hear the horses' thunder down in the valley below,
I'm waiting for the angels of Avalon, waiting for the eastern glow.
The apples of the valley hold, The seeds of happiness,
The ground is rich from tender care, Repay, do not forget, no, no.
Oh, Dance in the dark of night, sing to the morning light.
The apples turn to brown and black, The tyrant's face is red.
Oh war is "battle" cry, Pick up you swords "learn to" fly.
The sky is filled with good and bad that mortals never know.
Oohh
Oh, well, the night is long the beads of time pass slow,
Tired eyes on the sunrise, waiting for the eastern glow.
The pain of war cannot exceed the woe of aftermath,
The drums will shake the castle wall, the ring wraiths ride in black, Ride on.
Sing as you raise your bow,(ride on) shoot straighter than before.
No comfort has the fire at night that lights the face so cold.
Oh dance in the dark of night, Sing to the morning moon "below".
The magic runes are writ in gold to bring the balance back. Bring it back.
At last the sun is shining, The clouds of blue roll by,
With flames from the dragon of darkness, the sunlight blinds his eyes.
oh oh, mmhm
aahh, oh
bring it back, bring it back,

Discos
yeah, go tangerines!

is that the name of a song or is there actual names to songs by Led Zeppelin as I would very much like to download these

White Lady
it is tangerines and The battle of evermore

Lord_Andres
I love Blind Guardian's music specialy the Nightfall In Middle Earth CD big grin

Kaleanae
I posted a thread about that song

ElanorUnderhill

muse5
i can see it... have you ever heard 'the rain song?' i think it has links too, i don't know where the lyrics are, they are somewhere on my computer

Aleera1138
I believe that is a song from led Zeppelin talking about Norse and Vikings, but it does sound like it could be a cool Tolkien song. big grin Vahalla has to do wth the Norse/Viking gods.

muse5
VALHALLA I AM COMING....

sorry, a favorite lyric of mine...

Mandos
Valhalla not Tolkien.

muse5
i know, its part of norse mythology, the hall of the dead, i knew that before this thread, it's part of the song

Mandos
yeah the vickings like someone said already

ZoSo
BUMP.

Ya' know, in the past, I've tended to believe that Tolkien was speaking - or, in this case, lyric-writing - from the minds of the great musical gods that were Jimmy Page, or Robert Plant, ad nauseum.

Some have said that the songs aforementioned in this thread, (like "Stairway to Heaven"wink, do not have Tolkienic relations, though, as stated in this thread, there are obvious similarities and connections.

I believe that even if it was not meant while they were writing their songs, that Tolkien was ever subliminally in their minds. Surely this is true, because songs like "Immigrant Song", and even "Bron-Y-Aur Stomp", echo ideas and images told throughout the works of Tolkien.

An interesting website devoted to this is Tolkien & Zeppelin, though the site claims that "Stairway to Heaven" had no connection to LotR.....

Lord Chariol
Not true, the song was loosly based on Scottish folklore. But there was mention of Ringwraiths riding in black.

Also the song "Ramble On" houses references to Gollum and Mordor.

Led Zeppelin is the best band to ever exist, and not because of Tolkein references.

ZoSo

Maeglin

muse5
Originally posted by Lord Chariol

Led Zeppelin is the best band to ever exist, and not because of Tolkein references.

hear hear!!

mr.smiley
I met a girl in Mordor with the fairest hair,then that Gollum came and took her from me.

That's the Zepplin song that talks about Gollum and Mordor.Can't remember the name though.

Fëanor
i prefer the beatles.....the visual in "Lucy in the Sky" is mesmerising eek

Elessea
^^ I adore that song -nods- happy

Maeglin
Originally posted by mr.smiley
I met a girl in Mordor with the fairest hair,then that Gollum came and took her from me.

That's the Zepplin song that talks about Gollum and Mordor.Can't remember the name though.

that's Ramble On, great song. well, i guess Robert Plant and Jimmy Page where quite intrested in Tolkiens work (who wouldn't :P)

muse5
actually, it was just robert plant, jimmy page said so in a rolling stone interview once.

lucy in the sky with diamonds...good song

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.