Irony

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

drunk_nazgul
You guys have any good examples of irony? Here's one for ya:

My name is drunk_nazgul, yet I have never come within two feet of an alcoholic beverage.

embarrasment Guilty... I'm sober.

FallingBlue
i hate the color blue

drunk_nazgul
The dude in our story was a "bad guy," but his boss was a "good guy."

frootlooplucy
ive never eaten frootloops.

Paola
that's ironic!!!

frootlooplucy
it sure is.

KarenEiko
But your name is lucy, right? rolling on floor laughing

must_kill_Santa
i like Santa

silver_tears
i never cry big grin

must_kill_Santa
me neitha but thats not ironic

silver_tears
my name is silver_tears genius stick out tongue

must_kill_Santa
mine is must_kill_Sanya so you all know

diegocala
You should be able to spell you own name right MKS, I think??

DeNiro
^ laughing out loud

my favorite actor is Al Pacino eek! yeah right he is close but not even half as good as DeNiro baby stick out tongue

drunk_nazgul
Yeah, DeNiro's gonna be in my Homies-LOTR movie as Gandalf.

...I hope.

KidRock
i never listen to kidrocks music

YEAH RIGHT

Crash_Overload
NO offence or anything, but none of that is irony! Irony IS "A guy out of insulin, but on his way to the pharmacist, he gets hit by an insulin delivery truck" THAT is irony, "drunk_nazgul" but never drank IS NOT Irony. Sorry, just wanted A say.

muse5
oh come on, there are so many different types of irony, mine for the day, despite the way i act, i'm not a blonde, my hair is black

it rained on your wedding day..oh wait that's NOT ironic-alanis is an idiot

DeNiro
crash always got to be the serious type lol but ne way what the hell r u talking bout LOTR and gandalf u got me confused

diegocala
Sorry Crash, that's not irony either...

TimeRacer
Alanis isn't necessarily an idiot...maybe confused..or maybe you just have to say that her stories of bad luck are ironic when compared to the basic conceptions of what she says. But that's just me..and I don't even care too much for that song. Wow, I'm going to bed now.

Captain REX
Here's one...or four...my name isn't Rex, I don't have lightsabers, I'm not at the Star Tours spaceport, and you really aren't allowed to bash my opinions! stick out tongue

diegocala
laughing out loud

Phoenix
Erm... I'm not on fire?

Kes
My name (kes) was taken from Star trek and I hate star trek messed
Well this is more weird then anything else.

must_kill_Santa
im not human but i live in a collony full of humans

Kes
Originally posted by Crash_Overload
NO offence or anything, but none of that is irony! Irony IS "A guy out of insulin, but on his way to the pharmacist, he gets hit by an insulin delivery truck" THAT is irony, "drunk_nazgul" but never drank IS NOT Irony. Sorry, just wanted A say.

According to my dictionary:

Irony:
1)is a subtle form of humour which involves saying things that you do not mean.
2) if you talk about the Irony of a situation, you mean that it is odd or amusing because it involves a contrast.

GambitEVOFan1
Spelling the word stupid wrong is ironic....no wait thats an oximoron, nevermind

diegocala
Sorry Kes, but it is just funny bad luck, and if your dictionary is right then the Irony would be that everything in all the posts above would be ironic stick out tongue

Kes
I just posted what the dictionary says. I'm assuming its right. Wasnt really paying attention on what is posted.

Rogue Jedi
you mean stoopid, right?

Ushgarak
Crash is right, those examples are not irony. Contradiction is not irony.

Alanis was also incorrect- but oddly enough, in a way that works. Because the fact that her song was called 'Irony' and entirely failed to contain a single piece of irony is a little bit ironic!

As Greg Proops says, rain on your wedding day is not ironic, it's a bummer. It is only ironic if you were a weatherman who predicted good weather, and even then it wouldn't be THAT ironic.

Alanis herself happily admits her error, though, and points out she is a singer, not a grammatacist, and if that is the worst thing you can find about her music she is pretty happy.

Despite the fact that irony does ALSO mean 'like iron'- though no-one uses it that way- our pals at Oxford- pretty much th centre of the English language- describe it thusly:

n. Expression of one's meaning by language of opposite or different tendency, esp. simulated adoption of another's point of view for purpose of ridicule; ill-timed or perverse arrival of event or circumstance in itself desirable, due to the feigned good will and actual malice of (Fate, circumstance etc.); use of language that has an inner meaning for a privileged audience and an outer meaning for the persons addressed or concerned (sometime sincluding the speaker)

That last bit is what is happening if you say that someone is speaking with deep irony (e.g German Jew who runs a bank saying how good Hitler's War is for the economy- delivered straight that would be inanity, delivered ironically it is cynical wit- but it only works for those who know all the facts). So that is distinctive from a situation being ironic, which is what people here are trying to describe. The mistake people are making is that because irony normally involves contradiction, therefore contradiction is irony. This is a common problem with grammar...

Kes
Seems kinda stupid to say this but isnt the music called ironic?blink

Ushgarak
I stand corrected.

Incidentally, Crash's example WOULD be ironic if the guy went somewhere else because he didn't think there was going to be any insulin there for a while- and then gets run over by an insulin delivery truck he didn't know was coming.

It would be better irony, however, if he was caught in an insulin shortage, nearly dies, and when the supplies are due to get there he is taken by ambulance to the hospital for treatment and then dies when the ambulance collides with the van carrying his shipment. That's much better because you can directly point to the efforts to save his life in fact killing him stone dead- which again is not irony in of itself, only annoying; it's ironic because he was killed by the very thing that was meant to be saving him. Sadly, most good irony is rather grotesque.

Ushgarak
The Simpsons, incidentally, slips into clever irony itself when it parodies irony (keep up folks...) in the episode with the Springfield burglar, who, when caught, Homer says "Well well well... it seems the thief has been caught by the very person who was trying to catch him..."

Which causes Moe to say "How ironic..." though in this case he is being sarcastic, not ironic. It WOULD be ironic if a policeman chasing a thief for five years, with no luck, is caught by the thief breaking into his house and put under a citizen's arrest.

It would also be ironic if the thief is caught as a result of the actions of someone trying to make sure he got away with it. That would be:

"ill-timed or perverse arrival of event or circumstance in itself desirable"

must_kill_Santa
im confused

Phoenix
you confuuuuuuuuuuuuuuusin' Ush *pokes*

Ushgarak
Awww... tell you what, want a hug, Phoe?

Phoenix
no. stick out tongue you closed my thread!

*pokes*

silver_tears
blink alright i got like 2 sentences there stick out tongue

Phoenix
silver = special

silver_tears
yes i am *hums song to self* confused

Phoenix
*joins in humming*

Ushgarak
Awww, I thought you kids were smart...

silver_tears
we claim to be wink however not all of us are in our 20s stick out tongue

silver_tears
we got alot to learn still big grin

Ushgarak
Awww...

(hugs you)

Can I join the humming?

Phoenix
No! you a thread closer! you have to "dumdedumde", evil child!

wink

silver_tears
*hums a little louder* happy

Ushgarak
Oooh, that'll do!

Hey, you are lucky that the Fintmeister didnlt close it, he would have come after you with a big club!

Phoenix
stick out tongue Me would have set me cat on him!

Ushgarak
He might have eaten it...

yerssot
*remembers he's hungry*

Phoenix
NO!! Reggie SPECIAL!!!

Yerssie, I offered to share waffles...

Ushgarak
Special no defence, I think...

Phoenix
specially special!! besides, if he ate reg i would... set NORMAN on him!!

Ushgarak
Well, lucky that the Grumpy Knight closes the thread first then, before the big Norseman!

yerssot
well, I wanted some warm food messed

Phoenix
He would have trouble eating Norman.. Norman ist a dragon!!

Ushgarak
Norsemen eat dragons for breakfast.

Phoenix
*gets annoyed*

AVADA KEDAVRA!

byebye Ush...

*Ush dies*

wink

silver_tears
well thats wude huh

yerssot
I like that smilie smile
which one is that?

Ushgarak
Indeed, Silver! Don't get moody at ME, Phoe...

(blocks spell with dented shield)

silver_tears
its : huh : big grin

yerssot
huh happy smile

drunk_nazgul
laughing out loud

You guys are funny...

badkittykitty
crazy cool!
.... my name is bkk but I have stitch for my avatar and sig,thats just weird!

BackFire349
what the hell is stitch anyways?

badkittykitty
he's a alien

BackFire349
he looks like a rat dog thingy...

badkittykitty
..but he is cute as hell in the movie

Phoenix
huh hehe, that is a v cool smilie!

silver_tears
i know happy
one of my favs big grin

lord xyz
Say things that happened to you that was ironic. I got loads.

Some really smelly guy said I smelt funny.

That's an example which is true. I;m not telling you all of the ironic thing that have happened to me because my mind's now gone blank. Hehe.

Begin.

Slay
XYZ once said I was a moron.

lord xyz
Originally posted by Slay
XYZ once said I was a moron. You are, you just confused fact with irony. ermm

Slay
Originally posted by lord xyz
You are, you just confused fact with irony. ermm
Ooh, teddybear is going to use his sarcastic wit on me.

staraddict93
i dont like stars.

Kongu Dude
This Thread owns. ermm

Strangelove
It's like 1,000 spoons when all you need is a knife

lord xyz
Originally posted by FallingBlue
i hate the color blue laughing

and damn, i was sure my thread was original, like a "in your face vinny" kinda thing, oh well.

Strangelove
Originally posted by lord xyz
laughing

and damn, i was sure my thread was original, like a "in your face vinny" kinda thing, oh well. How ironic oh

Awesome Man
Hitler.
He is chock full of irony, like a bowl with M&Ms.

Kongu Dude
And now, Ultraman is banned forever, how ironic. ermmnone

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.